Cryptex of Time - Ingame Video

Community Forums/Showcase/Cryptex of Time - Ingame Video

AJirenius(Posted 2007) [#1]
UPDATE:
Got rid of that horrid movie and put another smaller, nicer looking and better quality one up at YouTube. So here you gom, enjoy!
You will be able to see the new mapsystem now as the publisher didnt like the old one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VMWBKb7EwHE

Grey Alien(Posted 2007) [#2]
AWESOME! This has really come on nicely. It's a very novel take on match-3, hopefully it's fun to play. I see you've added map screen, mini game (cool!), flashy titles etc. It's all looking great. Hope you've got hints/instructions in there too. I like way the tiles change based on location in the world, nice touch. Is there a future "techie" tile set?

This deserves to be a success. Go for it!

If you post the video on you-tube (I know it won't do it justice) I can blog about it on Binary Joy.

ETA to demo?

Picklesworth(Posted 2007) [#3]
That looks really good! A worthy spin (hehe, nice pun) on match-3 that attracts my attention by being clearly different from the pack.
Visually it is good, but I particularly like the audio. The clicking noises fit it really well.

I like the mini game you showed there. It gets the player to start using his head, rather than a lot of mini games which get the player to enter button mashing mode. (Which is not what you want in a puzzle game).

One "thing":
When a single wheel thing (the objects in the middle, with the spokes, that hold the tiles) runs out of tiles, it leaves the scene. I think the way they do this is odd, and not really fitting with the feel of the rest of the game. They seem to float about magically, with no reason for this to happen or sign of magic occurring, and being quite distracting... Perhaps they could disintegrate, fall apart into chunks, or something like that?

Other than that little detail, it looks really good and well polished. I'm looking forward to playing with it :)

Grey Alien(Posted 2007) [#4]
the floating wheels didn't bother me but I'll have to play the demo to know for sure.

AJirenius(Posted 2007) [#5]
Yes, hopefully my publisher will find the game complete enough to put out a demo by the start of August. I will try to work hard on the last pieces to get there, still don't want to rush anthing.

I'm so happy you liked what you saw, I mean, you could have said "YAAAAAAAWWWWN yet another Match-3 ***** this!"

About the wheel, I'm thinking about letting my testpanel play and also releasing the demo and checking for more opinions before changing anything atm.

Grey Alien: I would love a blogpost about it and i will try to create a better (better quality-lesser size) vide today so I can put it up on YouTube.

Grey Alien(Posted 2007) [#6]
OK cool. Who's your publisher?

Buggy(Posted 2007) [#7]
Really nice looking, and I hate puzzle games! Good luck!

Jake L.(Posted 2007) [#8]
Looks awesome and very polished. I second Mr. Picklesworth's opinion about the empty wheels, that somehow looks odd.

dreadcog(Posted 2007) [#9]
Looking good!

Needs sound effects for when you get matches. Possibly speed up the music when the player is near the maximum amount of spindles before the game ends.

Other then that I love it.

BlitzSupport(Posted 2007) [#10]
Really nice. This deserves to do well!

AJirenius(Posted 2007) [#11]
:) thanks guys.
Well CTXM is my publisher and right now I'm redoing the whole mapscene from scratch as it didn't looked to good or played too good in their opinion. Well, can't blame them. But it means things will probably be delayed :(

agent4125(Posted 2007) [#12]
Very nice (for a match-3 ;) My only thought is that, with the camera angle and the fact that most of the tiles are at the bottom, you tend to be looking down most of the time, which felt tiring to me after a few minutes. I would try tilting the bottom of the cylinder toward the player a tad.

andy_mc(Posted 2007) [#13]
That's really nice. Good luck with selling it, it deserves to do well.

gosse(Posted 2007) [#14]
Great stuff for casual gaming! It feels a lot less bland than many match-3's I have seen.
Really looks highly polished, good luck with it!

AJirenius(Posted 2007) [#15]
Thanks once again. Im sad you wont be able to see the version before the publisher "casualized it" even more to play like "the rest". It was far from a normal Match-3, but still the gameplay you see is the most casual. there will be a lot of alternative playmodes with different thinking and logic.

Rob Buckley(Posted 2007) [#16]
That sure looks cool. As always your graphics are a little bit special. Shame its a match 3 game (cos I don't like them), and strange that a publisher would want to make a game even more like everything else: though I guess they know what they are doing.

Anyway I hope its a hit :)

degac(Posted 2007) [#17]
Very good!
I agree with the Mr. Picklesworth's comment about the empty wheel: it's 'out-of-context' in comparison with the other elements.

AJirenius(Posted 2007) [#18]
UPDATE:

New video here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VMWBKb7EwHE

see first post for details

chwaga(Posted 2007) [#19]
very cool, smart idea for a game! You could sell that and actually make a lot of money, I bet.

AJirenius(Posted 2007) [#20]
Thanks Chwaga, and yes I hope it will.