FightTune

Community Forums/Showcase/FightTune

MrTAToad(Posted 2007) [#1]
This is a Dance Dance Revolution type game, where you need to match the arrows at the correct time.

Up to 4 people at once (3 at the standard resolution).

Controls are :

Keys are :

W,X,A,D,S for Player 1
Cursor Up,Down,Left,Right and Return for Player 2
And ,8,2,4,6,5 for Player 3 (number pad)

GfK(Posted 2007) [#2]
How are you syncing visuals to audio?

MrTAToad(Posted 2007) [#3]
What the program does it grab the music channel data, splits it into 4 parts (using a modified version of the spectrograph bar routine from the BASS module), calculates the volume difference and uses that to decide whether to start creating the arrows. It always grabs the data as often as possible.

At the moment the music is streamed - this is no real problem now, but I may change that.

Its always around 4/5 seconds behind or so (or rather it appears to be) because it scrolls up from the bottom of the screen (and there is no lead-in). Its something to change later on, along with many other things, including hi-score table, fix options text (it should be noted that most of the text is designed to be international), outro, loading system.

MrTAToad(Posted 2007) [#4]
I've updated the program, but still isn't feature complete and the arrows still aren't quite in time to the music.

I've now added the basis for the hiscore table, post game results, preview of music before selection (currently plays it at a sample rate of 6000), and fixed the missing text in the options.

The file is availiable at http://www.nicholaskingsley.co.uk/MiscThings/FightTune.rar

Fuller(Posted 2007) [#5]
Hopefully there are easier levels than that screenshot?

MrTAToad(Posted 2007) [#6]
Its all based on the tune :)

Neochrome(Posted 2007) [#7]
the version i wrote for Blitz3D is something i did with BlitzBASE
it actually uses all the dance moves from the arcade game. :)

http://www.neochrome.co.uk/downloads.asp

i'll help where i can though :)
how are you programming your step generator though?

Nicholas(Posted 2007) [#8]
I've just changed it to this (hasn't been tested at the moment) :

sampleRate=BASS_ReturnPlaybackFreq()
playbackRate=sampleRate/1000.0
multipler=GRAPHIC_HEIGHT/playbackRate

sampleRate is the frequency of the selected tune (usually 44100)
playbackRate is the speed multipler for moving the arrows. This is used in conjunction my frame-rate independent routine to make sure things move smoothly...
multipler is used to in conjunction with the current sample position (pos*multipler) to get the sample data (and to ensure there is at least a 1 pixel gap between any arrows in the same column.

My website now has a page with some newish pictures and the programs.

Neochrome(Posted 2007) [#9]
Nicholas... i would strongly sugguest using the BASS_GetCurrentTime() this is more easier to control the arrow animations.

saved me hours of "is the song timed correctly" i must warn you that some sound card frequency clocks do differ so you might get your timing perfectly on your computer but might vary on others!

i found this to be true.

[edit]
what are you doing for the animated backgrounds?

tip, i used winamps music effects and just movie captured that.

trouble is, i haven't seen "play movie" function in blitzMax :(

MrTAToad(Posted 2007) [#10]
There isn't - there was someone who did a module for it, but whether it works on all machines, I dont know.

If there isn't I dont know what I'll do for the background - probably end up using animated PNG's of something or other...

Thanks for the BASS info, by the way.

MrTAToad(Posted 2007) [#11]
I've updated the program (although the main game still needs sorting out), but thats the next thing to do.

Updates include :

* Hiscore display, saving and loading now works
* All menu options now work
* Added some extra information to the preview tune part (now displays the length of music and current time into it). Also want to get the author of the tune, if BASS supplies it.

The next thing to do is to slightly beautify the hiscore display (the column descriptions are currently missing), replace all the ingame text graphics, upgrade the ingame arrows, upgrade the actual game and game rules, add sound effects, add title music and then do something about the background.

This is a Windows only upgrade, as I dont have access to my Mac from here.

The Windows version has been updated again. Its now in the Alpha stage.

MrTAToad(Posted 2007) [#12]
The game has now been updated a fair bit - all music for titles, end game etc has now been put in, and the ingame graphics have been updated.

The backgrounds have now all be chosen and implemented. The ingame background is animated (and to the music), and doesn't use any movie files.

I was going to look into trying to get libmpeg working with BlitzMax, but decided I couldn't be bothered.

MrTAToad(Posted 2007) [#13]
Background graphics have now been updated, and a new addition has been added to the Nightmare difficulty level - NOT arrows (instead of pressing these arrows, you need to ignore them).

The Windows version has been updated (and its now 16Mb as it includes two tunes).
The Mac version will be updated at the weekend, as per usual.

MrTAToad(Posted 2007) [#14]
I've now released the release version (for both Windows and Mac).

MrTAToad(Posted 2007) [#15]
I'm now upgrading the game (and will probably rename it too), to include various modes including :

Arcade Mode, Training Mode, Battle Mode and Timed Mode

MrTAToad(Posted 2007) [#16]
The game has been updated (and slightly renamed) to include 6 modes of game play.

A beta of it is availiable here : http://www.nicholaskingsley.co.uk/MiscThings/FightTuneEvolution_Windows.rar

Windows only at the moment.

(tu) sinu(Posted 2007) [#17]
i did this type of game many years back and created an editor to sync the arrows with the tracks. If i can find it on my older harddrives i'll post the thing.

Basically you typed in the arrows on the notes you wanted and then based upon the speed setting the arrows would appear at the right time at the bottom and be in sync with your notes you.

MGE(Posted 2007) [#18]
What about frame rate? Would a slow render affect the audio/video sync'ing?

MrTAToad(Posted 2007) [#19]
No, because it would do it when it can.

Unfortunately an editor wont be any used - its designed to work with any type of music the user wants, hence it generates the arrows from the music data, on the fly.

I would dearly love to convert it to Linux - unfortunately, I've got no machine (yet) capable of have it installed on. I've had great success with the latest Ubunto & BM (it actually finally compiled itself), so the only real thing holding it all up is the music system - BASS. This would have to be changed to FMOD, but would work if it allows access to the music data

Yo! Wazzup?(Posted 2007) [#20]
Could you pack everything into a .zip file?
I don't have a .rar decompressor and really don't feel like downloading one.

MrTAToad(Posted 2007) [#21]
Unfortunately no, I dont use ZIP on Windows...

Blitzplotter(Posted 2007) [#22]
This sounds very interesting, am off to check out the download now. I am interested in developing a similar thing myself, amongst others. Up to 4 at once sounds cool, you've mentioned the keyboard input - have you thought about joypad support ? I don't know off dancemat iface options to PC, but external peripheral interfacing's always interested me.

Yo! Wazzup?(Posted 2007) [#23]
Ok, ok fine. My sister would really like this, so I'll download 7-zip.

EDIT: The link's a 404 for me.

MrTAToad(Posted 2007) [#24]
Its all fine here - both the beta and the originals - assuming your taling about my game, and not 7Zip, that is.

And to answer the other question - yes, it should handle joypads okay.

Okay - got the Linux version running :)

Yo! Wazzup?(Posted 2007) [#25]
www.nicholaskingsley.co.uk/MiscThings/FightTune.rar
This link gives me a custom 404 page. (What I mean by custom is that it didnt give me the default 404 page, I got one that was custom made by the site admin.)
EDIT: checked www.nicholaskingsley.co.uk/
and clicked on fighttune from the sidebar, clicked on Windows version from that page, and also got a 404.
Note: the link was leading to www.nicholaskingsley.co.uk/FightTune_Windows.rar

MrTAToad(Posted 2007) [#26]
It wont be there now, as I've just removed it, although the Windows link on the web page was working fine.

The Fight Tune Evolution beta is now availiable from my website. The Windows & Mac versions are availiable, whilst the Linux one will have to be uploaded during the week.

I've provided a ZIP and RAR file for the Windows one this time (and all the links work).

Yo! Wazzup?(Posted 2007) [#27]
I can see you have added a table and made things more organized...

The zip file does now exist for me :)
EDIT: Hmmm... maybe I misclicked the link.
When I hit open, nothing happened.
Downloading the RAR now ;)

Now to check if all this was worth it...

Note:
Probably with Vista

from the site you may want to change to "Possibly with Vista"

;)

Yo! Wazzup?(Posted 2007) [#28]
Ummmm...
Once you get to the name selection screen...
You type in the name with wasd...
Then what?
Hitting enter doesn't work...
I tried hitting a buncha keys randomly...
That minimised the program lol

Yo! Wazzup?(Posted 2007) [#29]
Basically...
How to you confirm your name with the "Keyboard 1" controls?

Yo! Wazzup?(Posted 2007) [#30]
Oops... Just press the down button...
Nice game, but it's hard to time it right when there are 2 arrows at once.

MrTAToad(Posted 2007) [#31]
For the name entry screen, its the left and right keys to move left and right, up to delete and down to finish name entry.

The difficulty level adjusts (amongst other things) the number of arrows for each row.

Glad to you like!

MrTAToad(Posted 2007) [#32]
Well, I've finished it all now, barring any bugs that may be found later on...

The Linux, Windows and Mac versions are now available.

This has introduced a few first for me : My first completed BlitzMax game, and my first multi-operating system game :)

MGE(Posted 2007) [#33]
I finally had a chance to look at this, wow, very nice! Congrats! The only thing is, while everything seems to work, I can't get that groove feeling because I'm not pressing keys in tempo with the music, or is it my computer? I would also consider adding mouse support, clicking on the arrows keys with the mouse, that would be fun! :) Overall very impressive, good job!

MrTAToad(Posted 2007) [#34]
There is around 4/5 second time offset, mainly because it uses the data on the fly, with use for card sheets (so that it can accept any type of music without the need for it to be preprocessed). It is a slight 'problem', but unfortunately, I cant see how it could be sorted.

It does have mouse support, but it doesn't work in the way you suggested :)
It requires a three button mouse + keyboard.

Glad you like it, though.

MrTAToad(Posted 2007) [#35]
Just to let you all know, I've now released the source code to Fight Tune (and its available on my web site).

Yo! Wazzup?(Posted 2007) [#36]
Cool.

MrTAToad(Posted 2007) [#37]
I thought so too!