Lights of Dreams done

Community Forums/Showcase/Lights of Dreams done

Xilvan(Posted 2007) [#1]
The game Lights of Dreams : The Angelical Blade is 100% revised and 100% done we just need publishing it in August or September...

"Lights of Dreams interfaces through Blitz3D to create vast
inspirational worlds. Xylvan is to gather several spheres,
elements and parchements and restore future Earth from destruction.
He must then return to heaven, fight against Sphax, finding
friends whithin Arasyb, Gamna, Ulania and his bride Yris" [...]

Basic Info:
===========
-> In the Quest, he must gather nine spectral Sphere, 10 basic elements and 11 parchements
-> There will be 5 character to play within:
- Xylvan the Archangel
- Arasyb the Fighter
- Gamna the Child
- Ulania the Intelectual
- Yris the Fairy
-> Several items to collect including:
-1 Teleportation Triangle
-1 Wings (To make Xylvan Fly)
-1 Speed flash
-1 Recovery Amulet
-4 kind of keys to open doors and teleporter
-6 types of wand
-1 power glove
-1 Spirit Lamp
-100 Xild Symbols

Gameplay
========
The caracter can do:
-Walk slow or fast
-Run very fast
-Fly
-Teleport from a Pyramidal Tower or everywhere with the eden wand throught 15 to 51 worlds
-Fight monsters with Sword, Fire Wand, Fairy Rod
-Break rock with Fire Wand
-Stop ennmies with Ice Wand
-Change Character with Swapping wand and Elements and you actually need find them throught the 14 new levels
-Lite your way with Lamp
-Stab your Angelic or Anarchic Shield
-Change water level with Abyss Rod
-Use 4 active kind of potion
-Use element to get infinite magic
etc...

Future Project:
===============
The next game gonna be a 3d Remake of Soul of Sphere and will be unofficially named Heaven of Dreams : Prison of Crystal... the game will be huger and maybe made for XBox 360 using XNA and C# with Blitz3d SDK...

The game is still secret but u can look for the basic scenario I made for Soul of Sphere Platinumwhich is free...

Copyright Info
==============
Remember that this game is under Copyright(I've registered it)

Our websites
===========
www.XilvanDesign.com
http://site.voila.fr/ageofdreams/index2.html

MGE(Posted 2007) [#2]
Screenies?

ervin(Posted 2007) [#3]
Xilvan, I click [Download Now] on the FileFront page where the demo is hosted, and I get this:

"Your download has failed. The file you are attempting to download is restricted to an access group of which you are not a member."

You've really got to make the demo easier to download.

Xilvan(Posted 2007) [#4]
look at the bottom of my subject

Chalky(Posted 2007) [#5]
And I get:

"Your download has failed. You have an invalid session set. Click here to try your download again."

Clicking on the "Click here" link part of the message results in the exact same message.

[EDIT] Hmmm. You replied to Ervin while I was typing my post... The link contained within your reply DOES work for me. However, the original error came when I tried downloading from the link within your own website. I wonder how many other people who tried (and failed) will bother to try again...

ervin(Posted 2007) [#6]
Okay, the link www.sendspace.com/file/73qas2 worked.
However your website link to the demo needs to be consistent with what you have here.

LineOf7s(Posted 2007) [#7]
Screenies?

Be careful what you wish for...

Xilvan(Posted 2007) [#8]
Be quite positive even if the game is cool I'm just an apprentice ;)

Ked(Posted 2007) [#9]
Those screenshots look MUCH better than the ones you have posted here.

Naughty Alien(Posted 2007) [#10]
..this screenies looking same to me as one from your previous thread...

Ked(Posted 2007) [#11]
..this screenies looking same to me as one from your previous thread...

Sheesh.

Xilvan(Posted 2007) [#12]
I'll make new screenies then :D

MGE(Posted 2007) [#13]
NICE screenies! Thanks!

LineOf7s(Posted 2007) [#14]
Just played your game.

You haven't listened to a single piece of advice from the previous feedback thread.

Have you ever played a game before? There's little evidence you have, based on what you've created. The saddest part though, is that you've obviously put a great deal of effort into it, and you have an idea of what you're doing in a coding sense... but you just don't seem to understand on a basic level how a game works.

At this point I would add specific constructive criticism, but there's already plenty of that for you to review in your previous thread.

It's telling that the only entry in this game's program group in the start menu is to uninstall it.

Keep trying.

Xilvan(Posted 2007) [#15]
Sorry but It seems that when ur enoughly advanced in the quest you can get in the hype. The game is using a Zelda 64 and Twilight Princess similar gameplay and you should advance a bit in the storyline before claiming that theres games weaknessess which are lacking...

Use a 15 $ controller instead of the keyboard, explore all parts of the 50 worlds/Temples and gain all items, spheres and Xild Pieces to reveal that the game is seriously advanced compared to the other games presented in this blitz forum and so from very far...

I'm not trying to just making great graphics, gameplay or storyline, I'm making an amazing experience... And everybody on the forum doesnt have the capabilities to overpass the first step of developpement of a game... I passed all steps now its done u want it or not !

Xylvan is an attaching character and his distress to get involved in a Earth/Moons/Mars/Venus quest could enhance the spirit and ambiance...

The fact is that u need the wings, the lamp and the thunder and u need to explore everything to get to the end of the game... Its not a simple task :(

I was the only one coding the interface, menus and in general I go straight to the goal...

People in the last thread were always saying the same unsenced arguments... They was trying to persuade me that my game was cheap,unfinished,unpolished and without interest... Is that constructive arguments ? NO Filax,Loki and Bobysait !

Naughty Alien(Posted 2007) [#16]
..oh boy..

JustLuke(Posted 2007) [#17]
Here we go again. I'm not going to waste my time downloading the demo, because I am certain from Xilvan's attitude that he will not have listened to the masses of advice he received in his previous thread or improved his game in any significant way.

May I suggest that people leave this thread (and any other threads started by Xilvan about Lights of Dreams) alone? Perhaps they should be locked or deleted, because I guarantee they they will all end with Xilvan heaping abuse on anyone who dares to give him honest feedack.

JA2(Posted 2007) [#18]
I think with some minor tweaks your game could be awesome.

Just make some new levels, different characters, some new sound effects and music, change the gameplay, the storyline, and think of a new title.

Other than that. It's great :)

Filax(Posted 2007) [#19]
Xilvan : I see that you have special ability's to irritate
peoples on all the forums where you go....

Blitz3dfr.com, Blitzbasic.com, Nintendo fr forum Etc...

On the french forum you find the way to take my head, during 3
months...

And stop to play the victim all the time! You're heavy!!!!

:(

GfK(Posted 2007) [#20]
People in the last thread were always saying the same unsenced arguments... They was trying to persuade me that my game was cheap,unfinished,unpolished and without interest... Is that constructive arguments ?
Just because some feedback wasn't constructive, doesn't mean it isn't true.

Perhaps there's just so much wrong, people simply don't know where to start in telling you how to put it right.

Any reply from Big Fish Games yet?

Xilvan(Posted 2007) [#21]
Filax u fired me and puted a silly gay picture instead of Xylvan that was very irritating :(

I managed your head since 3 months but u found a way to bannish me from 2 forums in wich i were persecuted...

In Nintendojofr people thought that Blitz and LOD eats eyes and they rediculised me with that...

In Blitz3dFr and BlitzFr Bobby menaced me many times so I replicated... U didnt let me time to calm down. They diffused pictures of Jesus crucified, violent smilies and purely ugly face to represent me: an ugly man saying "Laiché moi vivre mes reves"... In fact I am more beautiful than u cause I dont Penetrate mens... And I'm rather gentle and milder than you.

Que Xylvan te foudroie !

Gfk If u tried to persuade Jessica Sachs to not diffusing my game u will be caugh by hasard... so dont try to foil me.... I didnt get any reply and its so strange... and unkind of her part to act like that and not trying my game...

May Xylvan Smith you !

Filax(Posted 2007) [#22]
What ? gay picture ?? (sight...)

I hope that my girl friend do not see me ? :) I stop to
talking with you, because you are impossible to
understand...

Amon(Posted 2007) [#23]
In fact I am more beautiful than u cause I dont Penetrate mens.

Oh Dear.

I kindof new this thread would derail when it was posted and I saw it yesterday.

People need to leave Xilvan alone and let his game be.

Regardless of what most of you think it is still a complete game. Yes it may have it's faults but what game doesn't.

I think the same people are posting in here with the full intention of derailing the thread.

Just don't post if you have nothing good to say. Realise that Xilvan will accept only good comments, deal with it and don't post.

Congratz to you Xilvan for finishing your game. I'll download it later on to have a play.

:)

Rob Farley(Posted 2007) [#24]
Clearly you've put a lot of work into this game and it looks quite nice, however, without downloading the game I really think you need to adjust the neutral stance of the characters. People don't naturally stand to attention like that. It detracts from the rest of the scene.

LineOf7s(Posted 2007) [#25]
Realise that Xilvan will accept only good comments...

Probably better to post somewhere that doesn't allow any comments at all then: a blog; his own website etc

Public forum = public scrutiny.

Xilvan(Posted 2007) [#26]
:D

Filax does banished me cause he thought I was too proud of my game...

He's insane bannish him from blitzbasic.com

GfK(Posted 2007) [#27]
Gfk If u tried to persuade Jessica Sachs to not diffusing my game u will be caugh by hasard... so dont try to foil me.... I didnt get any reply and its so strange... and unkind of her part to act like that and not trying my game...
Um, what?

Who the hell is Jessica Sachs, and what are you accusing me of, exactly?

boomboom(Posted 2007) [#28]
Xilvan you said in the top post that your game is copyrighted, and you have registered it...

..Can I ask where exactly you registered it?

Xilvan(Posted 2007) [#29]
in Canada but the game is already published around the world we need more pub

GfK(Posted 2007) [#30]
in Canada but the game is already published around the world we need more pub
Published by who?

Xilvan(Posted 2007) [#31]
Published by us but we need a greater publisher...

GfK(Posted 2007) [#32]
Published by us but we need a greater publisher...
Your attempts to mislead = fail.

Big Fish probably haven't replied to your e-mails because they didn't like the game (just like everybody else has been telling you for the last two months). Kindly do not accuse me in future.

People need to leave Xilvan alone and let his game be.
If he keeps spamming this forum with "I'm waiting for ur comments", I'm afraid he'll get told. Its nobody's fault but his if people don't like it.

His bitching at people won't help, either. He admitted he's been 'banished' from the French Blitz community, and I'm beginning to understand why.

Good day.

Picklesworth(Posted 2007) [#33]
I can see more game in these screenshots, since they show that there are indeed some npcs.

However, there are three things I see that you should look at:

-You say that it takes a lot of time to get into the game. In the ideal world, that would be fine, but we do not live in the ideal world. You need an awesome introduction, something that grabs the player from the start. If the demo does not immediately get his attention and have him wanting more, it will not work.

-Every screenshot shows your characters in a very boring looking base pose. This base pose should never happen unless there is a glitch which has confused the animations.
Spread out those legs, maybe bend the knees from time to time (animated, of course). It may be the standing and doing nothing pose, but that doesn't mean they are frozen in time!

-There may be a screenshot of the player's character facing an NPC, but I see no interaction in it. Where is the dialogue? Why is the NPC not moving?

Your game's environment looks great, and you have clearly put a lot of work into it, but you need to take some time to give it the little details that make a game come to life. Okay, animation and tiny details may not be your strong point, so maybe ask someone else to help you or read some articles.
Leaving those problems unsolved would mean that your hard work goes unfinished, imperfect and unappreciated :(

GfK(Posted 2007) [#34]
I normally don't agree with much that Picklesworth says, but in this case, I can't help but agree. Maybe a little too diplomatic for my taste, but he's right.

If you want to accept that its fine for it to take ages for a player to get into the game, that's fine. However, potential customers will form an opinion within the first 60 seconds. If your game has not grabbed them by that point, then that "uninstall" option on the start menu is going to come in very handy.

<snip> what's the point.

Fuller(Posted 2007) [#35]
I'm downloading the demo of this game just to see for myself.
Okay, here's my opinion (why do I bother)

You want something simple that would make the game look better?
www.DevilEngines.com (or whatever it is)

Try to look around in the code archive and toolbox there are tons of stuff that can help motivate [i]and[i] make your game look and run better.

There,

boomboom(Posted 2007) [#36]
X, did you pay money to register copyright in Canada?

SpaceAce(Posted 2007) [#37]
OK, I just gave the demo a try. The game looks pretty neat, overall. Here are a few observations:

1) You really need a better walking animation. The left-leg/right-leg movement doesn't look very good.
2) Everything seems to move too fast. The day/night cycle is instantaneous, my character walks at 1,000 miles per hour and jumps ridiculously quickly.
3) The game is not intuitive. The key layout and the control method is not like other third-person 3d games. My character does not behave as I expect him to.
4) I have no idea what I am supposed to be doing. Your game desperately needs some sort of tutorial or starter missions or something to get the ball rolling.

SpaceAce

ervin(Posted 2007) [#38]
I have also tried the demo now.

First, the positives:
- the art style really does evoke an appropriately dream-like feeling. Very nice indeed.

The negatives:
- the animation needs work. A lot of work.
- the speed is crazy. Particularly turning speed. I really want to give this game a go, just to see where things go once you get past the initial stages, but this speed problem makes the game impenetrable. It's very very difficult to position your character to buy items, for example. THIS is the biggest problem with the game the way I see it.

Naughty Alien(Posted 2007) [#39]
>>Who the hell is Jessica Sachs, and what are you accusing me of, exactly? <<
@GFK
Shes from Big Fish Games,so I assume he thinking that you messing with her or something, so she likes you a lot and becouse of that shes ignoring mr.Xilvan game :) coooll

Grey Alien(Posted 2007) [#40]
sounds like the game needs some timing code.

Xilvan(Posted 2007) [#41]
I payed 50$ for a canadian copyright over the contain of LOD

Fuller(Posted 2007) [#42]
DId you raise the price?
I could have sworn it was ten dollars before.

Buggy(Posted 2007) [#43]
The videos on the site look pretty good (ish), but slow it down!

Here is my attempt at French:

Le jeu vidéo est trop vite!

Does that help?

AJirenius(Posted 2007) [#44]
Thís is way better than TV. I gotta see for myself, downloading...

DAMN, have you removed the demo? I cannot find it :(

Xilvan(Posted 2007) [#45]
I changed the link...

Xylvan must restaure the Angelical Blade to resurrect The King of The Earth...
He must encounter the other players in order to add them to his party... You can play one player at the time and its not necessary to get them all to achieve the quest...

Ked(Posted 2007) [#46]
I stop to
talking with you, because you are impossible to
understand...

Xylvan must restaure the Angelical Blade to resurrect The King of The Earth...
He must encounter the other players in order to add them to his party... You can play one player at the time and its not necessary to get them all to achieve the quest...

I don't know if its just me but his english sounded pretty good there.

Filax(Posted 2007) [#47]
:) maybe the practice ? :)

Xilvan(Posted 2007) [#48]
Thanks Filax... :) I apologize for my offence i done sooner in the conversation... I just want to go back to Blitz3dfr... and I dont know what to do :(

My team wants me to buy Terra Ed Pro... Is it performent ?

boomboom(Posted 2007) [#49]
how many are in your team?

Xilvan(Posted 2007) [#50]
4 to 5

Buggy(Posted 2007) [#51]
Is it like the fifth person is sort of there, sometimes? Or that you have 4 people and a few kidneys or something?

Ked(Posted 2007) [#52]
Is it like the fifth person is sort of there, sometimes? Or that you have 4 people and a few kidneys or something?

Whoa. Believe it or not, I was going to put something very similar to that.

MadJack(Posted 2007) [#53]
Xilvan

I did download and try your demo. A few things came to mind;

Firstly, the story is absolutely bonkers - but that's not necessarily a bad thing ;-) There was some problems with presentation however - mostly text extending beyond the edges of the box and spelling and grammatical errors.

In terms of play, I think you need to give people a bit more of a lead-in. The first thing I noticed, was the high speed of your character - fine for traveling long distances, but irksome when you're trying to manuever to get into a doorway or meet someone. Perhaps standard speed should be 1/3 as fast and hold down the shift key for super-duper speed?

Also my first inclination was to rush up to someone and start clicking in the hope of starting a conversation. Instead I begun jumping up and down or attacking them. A few on-screen help pop-ups would have really eased me into things here.

I have to ask - did you do a beta test? Beta tests can be really frustrating - in that your baby will be thoroughly crticised - but you will discover how the average user reacts before you release to the public (who can be even harsher), and so you can avoid those pitfalls.

Xilvan(Posted 2007) [#54]
I'm adding AShadow effects to the game...

b32(Posted 2007) [#55]
I'm not sure that is a good idea. As I understand it, most comments have more to do with the gameplay than with how the game looks. From what I've read, I would try to do the following instead:
1- add clear introduction to get people started (try the demo of Spiderman 2, it does that)
2- make the characters more lively, more movement even when standing still
3- try to make more interaction between the NPC and the player
4- adjust the speed of movement
Other than that, it looks quit nice. A bit 'kitsch' maybe, but I can appreciate that. He, keep it up! To help you keep your head up, here is a link to the devcrunch.com site, about the 'last mile of development': http://www.devcrunch.com/category/game-design/

Xilvan(Posted 2007) [#56]
1- A mission clearly shown and told, u can look forward the mission and view the place to go with a red X...

2- When stendig still, the character move his arms and wings...

3- U can alk to them, they can give u smart advice or items...

4- You can ajust the speed by clicking F4 use the left and rigth arrrow to select the proper FPS... U will have to restart the game to make it have effects...

Rob Farley(Posted 2007) [#57]
1. Clearly it's not clear because it is mentioned time and time again, therefore you need to make it clearer.

2. Wings and Arms aren't the issue it's the neutral stance, it needs to be more relaxed.

3. Look at the word MORE.

4. FPS isn't the issue it's the speed of the movement, the speed the character moves.

I don't understand why you keep digging your heels in and refusing to take the feedback on board. If you don't want feedback (which has largely been constructive) don't post here.

Gabriel(Posted 2007) [#58]
I'm lost. Is there an unwritten ( or even written ) rule around here which says that - in order to get feedback on your game - you have to make the most popular changes regardless of whether you like the suggestions or not?

If there is, I guess I'd better not post for feedback when my next game is finished, as I'm not prepared to spend three years of my life working on a game only to give the final decisions away to a popular vote.

Rob Farley(Posted 2007) [#59]
Gabriel,
My take on your question would be yes and no.

If you're making a game for yourself then you can make it the most off the wall, bizarre, hard to control game on the planet and it doesn't matter. If a handful of people think it's cool then that's fine because you're just making it for yourself.

However, if you're writing a game in order to sell it and make money you need to make it accessable to the masses, standard(ish) control, trainer levels where necessary etc etc.

Xilvan is planning (or is) selling this game therefore feedback about aspects of it looking weak or confusing surely need addressing for him to attract more customers and thus sell more copies.

Anatoly(Posted 2007) [#60]
The new demo crashes on me...

GfK(Posted 2007) [#61]
However, if you're writing a game in order to sell it and make money you need to make it accessable to the masses, standard(ish) control, trainer levels where necessary etc etc.

Xilvan is planning (or is) selling this game therefore feedback about aspects of it looking weak or confusing surely need addressing for him to attract more customers and thus sell more copies.
I don't think slagging people off because they don't like it, will help matters either.

People have been bringing up the same problems since day 1; the game's speed, all characters standing to attention, not knowing what you're supposed to do. All Xilvan has done is said "right, I'm God, you're all jealous and you suck. I'll add particles, more levels and more characters".

How can I say this... if you've got a heap of manure, then piling more manure on top won't make roses grow - it just makes a bigger dung heap.

Gabriel(Posted 2007) [#62]

Insomuch that it would be remiss not to tell him about these issues, I agree, of course. However, the prevailing attitude seems to be that he should act on that feedback whether he agrees with it or not.

I mean, everyone openly admits that he's been told the same thing numerous times and he's ignored it every time. So it's not like anyone's in doubt that he's noticed it or understood it. He's chosen to ignore it, but there seems to be an attitude that you can't ignore feedback if you've posted here, which I found odd.

Rob Farley(Posted 2007) [#63]
I think this is a pretty unique case actually, it's like when there's someone who drinks a bottle of vodka for breakfast and fails to admit they have a drink problem.

Many people on here might say:
1. Yeah I agree maybe I do drink a bit too much, but I like it that way so that's not changing.
2. Lowering the alcohol content of my bloodstream will cause way too many other problems as it's fundamental to my system.
3. You're right... I best cut down on my booze intake.

This case however is
4. I don't drink too much, you're all fools.

Xilvan(Posted 2007) [#64]
The game is based on speed and strenght... in the game u will have to run if u dont want to get caught by ennemies in temples... its like Sonic the hedgehog but in 3d...

But if u want less speed press "P" or 4 on the game pad...

I've tested the game with many people online or not, and only this forum are saying that my game is not that nice and it harms me alot...

Anyway Atari sent us a letter saying that they are interested into buying our game... any comments ?

MadJack(Posted 2007) [#65]
If there is, I guess I'd better not post for feedback when my next game is finished, ...only to give the final decisions away to a popular vote.

It's a balancing act - you shouldn't implement everything suggested, but if it's consistent complaints about the game's core mechanics then you should sit up and take notice.

Ked(Posted 2007) [#66]
Anyway Atari sent us a letter saying that they are interested into buying our game... any comments ?

Why would Atari want to do that?!

Hows that for a comment?

_33(Posted 2007) [#67]
its like Sonic the hedgehog but in 3d...

Sonic exists in 3D since the Dreamcast ages:
http://www.gamekult.com/video/32702/
http://www.gamekult.com/video/32701/

Go get them tiger!

I'm adding AShadow effects to the game...

Thread title: Lights of Dreams done

Xilvan(Posted 2007) [#68]
I was looking for a publisher... one of my pals sent a description of our game and they got intersted into publishing it...

I'm not wanting to give them the copyright, I'm just wanting to make games with them... in C++ C# for Wii, XBox360 or PS3... I'm sure they will find in us serious talents...

I'm only telling that I use speed, flight and teleporting as my 3d base... Sonic doesnt fly huh ?

Ked(Posted 2007) [#69]
I was looking for a publisher... one of my pals sent a description of our game and they got intersted into publishing it...

I'm not wanting to give them the copyright, I'm just wanting to make games with them... in C++ C# for Wii, XBox360 or PS3... I'm sure they will find in us serious talents...

I'm only telling that I use speed, flight and teleporting as my 3d base... Sonic doesnt fly huh ?

Who asked?

b32(Posted 2007) [#70]
Atari ? Really .. that would really good. I hope it works out nicely. Good luck then!

Gabriel(Posted 2007) [#71]
I think this is a pretty unique case actually, it's like when there's someone who drinks a bottle of vodka for breakfast and fails to admit they have a drink problem.

Main difference here being that there is only one person who stands to gain or be harmed. Hence it should be that one person's decision.

It's a balancing act - you shouldn't implement everything suggested, but if it's consistent complaints about the game's core mechanics then you should sit up and take notice.

I've seen consistent complaints prove to be wrong and developers end up kicking themselves for listening. That wasn't my point though, and still isn't. My point is that people seem to be talking to the guy as though he owes them something. It's like "hey, I played your game, gave you feedback, and you didn't do it. Get off your ass and do it."

And if that's the attitude, I think

(A) It's a bad one.
(B) I'm definitely looking for other places for feedback when my game's done. Gratitude for feedback is one thing, but I'm not going to make changes because anyone thinks I owe them something.

Yes, stop being silly. I'm not standing up for you here, I just happen to disagree with some of the attitudes on show here. But damned if you're not making me look like a fool for saying anything with lines like that.

MadJack(Posted 2007) [#72]
The criticism can be a bit rough on these boards - you've got to have a bit of a thick skin.

John Blackledge(Posted 2007) [#73]
I love this thread.
Other people tune into Coronation Street every day.
I tune into this.

GfK(Posted 2007) [#74]

Just one, but I don't think you'd listen.

Buggy(Posted 2007) [#75]
I, for the most part, agree with Gabriel. If Xilvan doesn't want to change his game, then why should he?

If Atari is publishing the game, good for him!

But, if the Atari deal falls through, and if he can't figure out why people aren't buying his game, maybe he should try some of the ideas suggested.

Xilvan(Posted 2007) [#76]
People dont buy my game cause I dont make enought pub...

Ked(Posted 2007) [#77]

I'm almost positive there are more reasons than that.

GfK(Posted 2007) [#78]
Well, that's not the reason I didn't buy it.

Matt Vinyl(Posted 2007) [#79]
Crikey, this is a thread and a half! ;) I may only appear as a noob (grr) around here, but I was at Blitzcoder for a few years and have been using Blitz3D for quite a few years too, but...

...never seen anyone react like this to what initially started off as constructive criticsm (albeit, it's now a slang-match, but it appears warranted for once!)

I'd love to have half the talent this guy has, but I know full well I have double the sensibility. ;) I wish you well Xilvan, but initially, everyone was trying to help.

As was said earlier, tuning into Corrie / Eastenders is nothing, this should win the soap award... ;)

Oh, and:

make enough pub

I wish I could make pub, then I wouldn't get moaned at for being in one for too long... ;)

Xilvan(Posted 2007) [#80]
The controls of LOD

BASIC CONTROL
M Talk
F Attack
Space Jump
WASD or Arrows Control of direction

SECONDARY CONTROL
K Run fast
U Parry
P Walk very slow

CAMERA CONTROL
C Control Camera
End Turn Camera arund with arrows
XZ Look UP/Down

MAP CONTROL
E Show Map
R Show Mission
L Item Menu
Y View Controls

MOUSE CONTROL
LEFT CLICK Attack
MIDDLE CLICK Choose Item
RIGHT CLICK Use Item

Ked(Posted 2007) [#81]
The controls of LOD

BASIC CONTROL
M Talk
F Attack
Space Jump

SECONDARY CONTROL
K Run fast
U Parry
P Walk very slow

CAMERA CONTROL
C Control Camera
XZ Look UP/Down

MAP CONTROL
E Show Map
R Show Mission
L Item Menu
Y View Controls

MOUSE CONTROL
LEFT CLICK Attack
MIDDLE CLICK Choose Item
RIGHT CLICK Use Item

Who asked?

Paolo(Posted 2007) [#82]
Holy! what a topic ! ... almost as good as watching women get into fight ;D

anyway, I would be interest in 2 things at the moment,

Xilvan,
- any chance to get a report about downloads and sales till now?
- and, if you don't mind, why did you choose Plimus? any advantages over ShareIt, PayPal ...? (just curious)

Paolo.

Ked(Posted 2007) [#83]
Holy! what a topic ! ... almost as good as watching women get into fight

I don't think he really knows why people are yelling at Xilvan.

Gabriel(Posted 2007) [#84]
Who asked?

Er.. pretty much everyone asked. Remember all those people ( including me in a previous thread ) saying they didn't know what to do or how to do it?

Xilvan(Posted 2007) [#85]
I'm publishing the game over Atari and I got 5300 downloads over download.com and 600 download on gamers hell...

GfK(Posted 2007) [#86]
I'm publishing the game over Atari
I guess they didn't think this, this or this, or in fact, any of these (spread across a dozen platforms including nextgen consoles) were quite up to the mark, then?

But don't worry, I'm probably just jealous. Or maybe I'm talking sense?

Picklesworth(Posted 2007) [#87]
Rather than complain about the complaining about Xilvan's steadfast opinions, I will make a few less major suggestions, just because I really have too much time on my hands.

Funny you would post the controls...

Are those configurable?
I think they are a very unusual. People won't be expecting them unless they have been playing Light of Dreams for a long time. I am sure you have been, and so you have probably grown completely used to them. It is a common mistake that happens to everyone; people get so used to their own projects they start missing obvious things that are readily apparent to anyone else.

The mouse controls make sense. The camera controls make sense.
The rest is weird:

What does M have to do with Talk? Is that the same as "Use"? If so, perhaps Enter would make more sense. I would never guess M to do that.

Attacking with F is common, and you have an alternative on the mouse, so that is good...
Jumping with Space is, again, good. That seems to be the standard key for jumping that everyone uses.

Secondary controls are weird again. K to run fast? How about Shift?
Try to avoid mapping common controls to both sides of the keyboard. If people are using the mouse as well, it is quite uncomfortable to keep lifting one's hand from the mouse to press a single key on the keyboard.

U to parry... That is a fighting move, so it should be made quickly accessible while fighting! I suggest that it be put along with the movement controls (perhaps Ctrl could parry). Maybe Parry could be done with mouse controls, too, since Attack is done there.

Map controls are all weird and make no sense to me.
In most games, M will show the map. That is generally acceptable, since the map usually is not used in the heat of battle, so a few moments of moving one's hand to the other side of the keyboard is acceptable.
R to show mission makes sense at least for being near the other controls. Still, "O" (for Objective) is a common convention and near the Map key.
The key for Item menu is okay at least for being near the Map key, but I again cannot see a relation between "L" and "Item Menu". "I" would make sense.
Finally, again, "Y" has no relation with "View Controls". F1 would make sense (since F1 is the usual key for Help), or H (since that is the first letter of Help).

LineOf7s(Posted 2007) [#88]
When pointing out to me (earlier in this very thread) what I needed to do in order to "reveal that the game is seriously advanced compared to the other games presented in this blitz forum", it was suggested that I "use a 15 $ controller instead of the keyboard".

Ignoring the fact I was using a controller, most of the game functions aren't mapped to it (or are able to me mapped to it), meaning I'd have to play with a controller and keyboard in order to play properly. This is Not A Good Thing. Keyboard and mouse is one thing, but controllers are made to be used sitting back in your seat away from the keyboard, using keys for little more than a pause function and the like.

So add "control scheme" to your list of things to revise/ignore.

MadJack(Posted 2007) [#89]
reveal that the game is seriously advanced compared to the other games presented in this blitz forum

Them's fightin' words!

LineOf7s(Posted 2007) [#90]
Where have you been? This is the second of two threads of fighting words! :oP

Ked(Posted 2007) [#91]
Er.. pretty much everyone asked. Remember all those people ( including me in a previous thread ) saying they didn't know what to do or how to do it?

I must have missed that. (Goes back to read up)

Naughty Alien(Posted 2007) [#92]
hehehehe...

Pete Carter(Posted 2007) [#93]
He doent care what we think so stop posting this thread is getting out of hand.

(tu) sinu(Posted 2007) [#94]
I think this game rivals zelda:lttp, erm, no seriously..

Chroma(Posted 2007) [#95]
My team wants me to buy Terra Ed Pro...

I would suggest you GET A NEW TEAM.

Xilvan(Posted 2007) [#96]
I changed the controls of LOD...

MGE(Posted 2007) [#97]
For what it's worth, I think Xivan is doing his thing, it doesn't matter if anyone enjoys his creations, he's at least attempting to develop, finish, market a game. And all of those 3 things combined is VERY HARD to do for anyone at any skill level. My only advice to Xilvan, is finish this project, learn from it, move on to the next one. Each project will get better and better over time. So many developers drag on development on 1 game, because they never really "finish" it. It becomes an obession, etc. Code half a dozen small games, THEN tranistion to larger projects. And most of all, use developers for tech review, leave the game review to your end users who visit your website. ;)

plash(Posted 2007) [#98]
I think this game rivals zelda:lttp, erm, no seriously..

nothing beats zelda..

I still can't believe I read this whole thrd..

Terry B.(Posted 2007) [#99]
>I still can't believe I read this whole thrd..
its cause theyre all ripping each other apart with insults ;)

As for the game, looks great, I dont dare try it on my horrible home computer though.

Naughty Alien(Posted 2007) [#100]
..anyone wanna beer?

JustLuke(Posted 2007) [#101]
For what it's worth, I think Xivan is doing his thing, it doesn't matter if anyone enjoys his creations, he's at least attempting to develop, finish, market a game. And all of those 3 things combined is VERY HARD to do for anyone at any skill level.

Not really. What Xilvan is doing is effectively self-publishing a game (disregarding his Atari claims), and self-publishing a load of rubbish is easy. Anyone can do it. That's the point. Creating and self-publishing a quality product is the difficult part, and most people who make the attempt, including Xilvan and his team, fail miserably at it. Unlike Xilvan, though, most people who initially fail will learn from their mistakes, and in doing so, take a step closer towards achieving their ambitions.

Naughty Alien(Posted 2007) [#102]
..this thread is something like Jerry Springer show..

(tu) sinu(Posted 2007) [#103]
@splash nothing beats zelda right now, this game don't come close in a month of sundays, but maybe someday, something will come out and be as good.

I can remember trying the really old demos of this, and it has not improved much if at all. Only thing that seems slightly better are the graphics.

Fuller(Posted 2007) [#104]
What exactly are the new controls?

Chroma(Posted 2007) [#105]
My only advice to Xilvan, is finish this project, learn from it, move on to the next one.

Please note the bold text...

Terry B.(Posted 2007) [#106]
>..this thread is something like Jerry Springer show..

yes I see what you mean.
>My only advice to Xilvan, is finish this project, learn from it, move on to the next one.
Please note the bold text...

Agreed.

>Anyway Atari sent us a letter saying that they are interested into buying our game... any comments ?

Argh, standards have fallen since the Galaga days....

Just played the game, very confusing. I don't like the controls.

Nice_But_Dim(Posted 2007) [#107]
I want LOD 2 nuff said.

Fuller(Posted 2007) [#108]
I want LOD 2 nuff said.

@Nice-But-Dim - Nice But Dim.

Xilvan(Posted 2007) [#109]
The actual controls of LOD

BASIC CONTROL
M Talk
F Attack
Space Jump

SECONDARY CONTROL
K Run fast
U Parry
P Walk very slow

CAMERA CONTROL
C Control Camera
XZ Look UP/Down

MAP CONTROL
E Show Map
R Show Mission
L Item Menu
Y View Controls

MOUSE CONTROL
LEFT CLICK Attack
MIDDLE CLICK Choose Item
RIGHT CLICK Use Item

The controls of LOD in the next version

BASIC CONTROL
Enter Talk
Space Jump
WA Go front back
AD Sidestep...
or Arrows Control of direction

SECONDARY CONTROL
Shift Left/Right Run fast
Ctrl Left/Right Parry
E Walk very slow

CAMERA CONTROL
C Control Camera
End Turn Camera around with arrows
XZ Look UP/Down

MAP CONTROL
M Show Map
O Show Mission
I Inventory
F2 View Controls

MOUSE CONTROL
LEFT CLICK Attack
MIDDLE CLICK Choose Item
RIGHT CLICK Use Item

Rob Farley(Posted 2007) [#110]
Xilvan, why not make them user configurable? If you do this you'll solve virtually all of the criticism that is being directed at you regarding the controls.

Being left handed I hate using wasd, I prefer the arrow keys.

GfK(Posted 2007) [#111]
Being left handed I hate using wasd
Lefties will take over the earth! I know, cos I am one.

Fuller(Posted 2007) [#112]
Lefties!!! I love the WASD configuration, it just feels less cramped (since my right has control of the mouse).

Terry B.(Posted 2007) [#113]
@Gfk Lefties will take over the earth! I know, cos I am one.

Yup, let me know when we do that.

The controls should be configurable, period. Or at least left-handed right-handed option.

(tu) sinu(Posted 2007) [#114]
i live on wasd and im a leftie too.

Fuller(Posted 2007) [#115]
I think it's a proven fact, lefties are more creative.

Xilvan(Posted 2007) [#116]
Great news:
The memory leak is fixed...
Before it was fixed invisible vectrice were making a memory leak...

The control has been reviewed and texture weight were improved up to 1/16 the original size...

The animations are in the work so the game will be done for september and Atari will enjoy a more performent game for launch...

JustLuke(Posted 2007) [#117]
You're setting yourself up for a fall by continuing to insist that Atari are publishing your game. Why humiliate yourself with such blatant lies?

Naughty Alien(Posted 2007) [#118]
LOL

Xilvan(Posted 2007) [#119]
Why does the blitz have to do with a such poor programmer like BobySait on blitzfr... He wants my head...

Atari will find a great occasion into making the publication of my masterpice... It will be mine, no one can take it from me :P

JA2(Posted 2007) [#120]
I think it's great that Atari will publish your game for you. Nintendo are publishing my slow-motion version of Pong for the wii. The game is called Schlong and it will be available soon...

big10p(Posted 2007) [#121]
Is Xilvan russian for Walter Mitty, or something?

Xilvan(Posted 2007) [#122]
I'm Canadian from Quebec... in north of USA ^^

Fuller(Posted 2007) [#123]
I'm Canadian from Quebec... in north of USA ^^

sounds like the beginning of another flame post [sighs]

Xilvan(Posted 2007) [#124]
Final and Leakless demo
http://www.sendspace.com/file/2avj47

JustLuke(Posted 2007) [#125]
Don't you have to get authorisation from Atari before you release demos?

Fuller(Posted 2007) [#126]
yeah? dont you?

Naughty Alien(Posted 2007) [#127]
..hey guys..let him publish with Atari so we can all be in peace ;)

Rob Farley(Posted 2007) [#128]
Atari are releasing an RPG called "The Witcher" in September

So I guess they're going to need a follow up, "Lights of Dreams" I'm sure will be featured on their site soon.

Stevie G(Posted 2007) [#129]
That looks fantastic .... 'The Witcher' that is!

Atari will find a great occasion into making the publication of my masterpice... It will be mine, no one can take it from me :P

Now this has got to be a windup? Time to come clean Xilvian, don't you think?

(tu) sinu(Posted 2007) [#130]
i tried the demo again yesterday, and i can see alot of effort has been put in, however, the game just doesn't seem that enjoyable to play, the controls seem buggy, and pretty clunky.
I just think you should ditch the idea of selling this and try to improve the game, maybe try and make it control like a zelda type game etc

WedgeBob(Posted 2007) [#131]
Well, I guess he's not exactly attempting to reinvent the Elder Scrolls series, we all knew that, nor World of WarCraft, but even so, for a good RPG like this, this probably may rank up there with just the slightest tweak and fine tuner.

LineOf7s(Posted 2007) [#132]
the Elder Scrolls series

World of WarCraft

for a good RPG like this, this probably may rank up there with just the slightest tweak and fine tuner

Dude, have you even played it? That's the sort of "tweak" that could turn my Daewoo Lanos into an Aston Martin DB9.

Fuller(Posted 2007) [#133]
the Elder Scrolls series

if you even think this game is as good as TES series you are gravely mistaken.

JA2(Posted 2007) [#134]
The Witcher looks pretty cool. I don't think it will be as awesome as Lights of Dreams tho...

http://www.thewitcher.com/

Terry B.(Posted 2007) [#135]
@ JA2
Yah it looks awsome, and I totally agree, I mean, theres no WAY the controls in witcher could be better then LOD or anything (nudge nudge wink wink)

WedgeBob(Posted 2007) [#136]
No, if you read more carefully, I said that HE WAS NOT ATTEMPTING TO REINVENT THOSE. Sorry, but I thought you would have read my post more carefully.

Fuller(Posted 2007) [#137]
that was more of a general comment.
I take my Morrowind seriously. No seriously, i have it saved in two places (modded and un modded) on the computer and on the Xbox.

Chroma(Posted 2007) [#138]
Is Atari about to go bankrupt?

EDIT: The Witcher looks pretty cool. A lot of time was put into the graphics, models, effects. It's an AAA title. Xilvan, Lights of Dreams is no where near The Witcher in quality bro. Are you sure that Atari is publishing your game?

H&K(Posted 2007) [#139]
@Gabriel,

I agree with you that it would be stupid to even attempt to satisfy everyone on these boards.

However, in this case the reason people seem to have been so vermont in their comments isnt because Xilvan ignored their commnets, rather it because he basicly said, "All your critisisms are because of jealousy".

So then the next person posts "no, those are faults in the game", shouts of Jealousy, "No faults", no jealousy etc

There seems to have been no point at all in anyone here trying to Betatest the game for Xilvan, because he doesnt value anyones opinion, whether rightly or wrongly. And that seems to me the reason he has been attacked.

However, (Again), Xilvan has finished a product that he is proud of, which is to be applauded. What more is there to say. (And I find his pwnage no worse than Pukis ;)

Xilvan(Posted 2007) [#140]
Hres the full story:
I dont know I'm waiting for a reply... I first of all received this in my mail:

Is there additional information that you could send me, so my evaluators can look at it.

Thank you,

Karen Sosa

Buyer

[end of message...]

I'm out to remind them that I exist and I dont know if they tried my game... Yea the witcher looks way better than LOD... But I still working on the game to make the game more beautiful than the last version... I'm up to make a sequel but I still not sure for which language will be used...

Unfortunatly I have not enought experience to make a Witcher like adventure... due to the fact that I have no 2D artist working for free until the launch in September...

I have also look forward Midway but I still wait for an Atari's reply...

(tu) sinu(Posted 2007) [#141]
Once atari try out your game, if they haven't already, they most likely won't publish it, simply because IT IS NOT GOOD ENOUGH right now.

AJirenius(Posted 2007) [#142]
My only, meaningful and last post in this thread:

Xilvan: I just would recommend you keep on creating in silence for a while. You have actually nothing to prove here at the moment as you HAVE completed a game and that is just great (most of the responders in here probably haven't even been near completion of such a big project as LOD), but as you don't seem to even want to listen to some of the complaints about your game in a constructive manner I just recommend you keep on working on (is it finished?) your game in silence. You have absolutely nothing to win in this thread, and only your credibility to loose. IF the case with Atari is true, well when it's there on the shelves it will automatically shut the "doubters" off. If it is not, then you DEFINITELY should keep silent (or maaaybe just tell the truth and then keep silent...)

Rest: You REALLY believe that YOUR post will make him change his mind? Do you really think YOUR post will make a difference now after all these posts?
If not, maybe it's time not to bump this thread anymore or is it all about feeling better yourself, cause god knows (and hopefully anyone who reads this thread) that this discussion lost it's credibility long before this post was started.

Moderators: Time to cleanse?

WedgeBob(Posted 2007) [#143]
Right, all right, I hold up the white flag here... I know that the screenies won't have any bit of justice whatsoever, and speculation into that it can rival the big name RPGs would be dead wrong. I realize that... Just that this day in age, it's just... something. Ah, skip it, alright... Go right ahead.

Xilvan(Posted 2007) [#144]
I'm always working of th game... the control has changed Alot... A new demo is online ! With swimming animation and better swit...

I removed alot of bugs including a memory leak.

I'm considering making a sequel(or a prequel) in which Xylvan is captive and the four archangel Michael, Gabriel, Raphael, Uriel must free him from... a sphere...

Atari is just an hypothesis maybe the publisher will be midway... I hope I will get the best of one of this two...

Damien Sturdy(Posted 2007) [#145]
I have to agree with a few that have said, congrats on *finishing* something, but things like

Atari is just an hypothesis maybe the publisher will be midway... I hope I will get the best of one of this two...

will attract insults, because you won't get this.

The games market is very shallow- you can't be "beautiful on the inside". It has to *look* like a next gen game to even get interest now.

WedgeBob(Posted 2007) [#146]
Yeah, that's the unfortunate part. Who even knows if Win XP gaming will be supported in another year? That may not even see any hint of DX 10 gaming. If I'm forced to switch exclusively to Vista, that may probably take a year or two to convince me to run any games in there (of course, being stuck on a laptop, Vista can only run DX9 on here anyway, can't upgrade the card). So, for me to play next-gen games like this, I really can't do it without a well-built desktop, now can I?

JustLuke(Posted 2007) [#147]
Buy Lights of Dreams - problem solved. I guarantee that none of the "difficulties" that you'll encounter will be caused by fancy next-gen features.

Go on, give it a try. Someone should. Just, um, not me, of course.

Xilvan(Posted 2007) [#148]
I'm not just sure that Atari will publishj our game but they are the first to reply us...

Vista is dumb cause I tried in many ways to convert my game from XP to Vista BUT NOTHING WORKS... I need help converting please to make the demo and full game more accessible to the big public ahead... I need a performent conversion... A conversion that can support wmv video format

Moderators: How do you can assume(the blitz moderators) that Blitz3D can't be run upon Vista... make a patch...

John Blackledge(Posted 2007) [#149]
-Anyway Atari sent us a letter saying that they are interested into buying our game
-I'm publishing the game over Atari and I got 5300 downloads over download.com and 600 download on gamers hell...
-The animations are in the work so the game will be done for september and Atari will enjoy a more performent game for launch...
-Atari will find a great occasion into making the publication of my masterpice... It will be mine, no one can take it from me :P

And finally
Atari is just an hypothesis maybe the publisher will be midway

I love this thread. It should be made sticky.

Ked(Posted 2007) [#150]
I wish people would stop saying that they love this thread. It really isn't all that great.

Naughty Alien(Posted 2007) [#151]
..its bizarre .. :) but I like it dirty :)

John Blackledge(Posted 2007) [#152]
I wish people would stop saying that they love this thread. It really isn't all that great.

So why are you reading it?

big10p(Posted 2007) [#153]
It's like watching a train wreck: just can't help watching it. :P

Fuller(Posted 2007) [#154]
It's like watching a train wreck: just can't help watching it. :P

And how many times in life do you get to see a train wreck?

big10p(Posted 2007) [#155]
And how many times in life do you get to see a train wreck?
What's that got to do with anything? I guess you're trying to make some kind of point, I just have no idea what it is.

Steve Elliott(Posted 2007) [#156]

Yea the witcher looks way better than LOD... But I still working on the game

I thought is was 'done'.