Ball Bearing Revisited

Community Forums/Showcase/Ball Bearing Revisited

Rob Buckley(Posted 2007) [#1]
Perhaps some of you remember back many months when I demoed my game ball bearing on here. Well after a long hiatus here's a new demo on which I'd like opinions. Hopefully its a bit better than last time.

Still a fair bit to do, and lots of levels to add.I've still got to put those dreaded instructions in, but basically you bounce and have to pick up all the rings in the level and then go to the spinning portal. Hope you like it.

http://www.dread-donkey.com/downloads/ballbearingdemo.exe

regards Rob

puki(Posted 2007) [#2]
I remember this.

Have you got an old screenshot of it?

Rob Buckley(Posted 2007) [#3]
The old topic had some images in

http://www.blitzbasic.com/Community/posts.php?topic=57286#715447

big10p(Posted 2007) [#4]
Forgotten about this one. Any way I can get it to startup in 800x600?

MGE(Posted 2007) [#5]
Frame rate is very slow, making the game un-playable.
HP
Intel 82845G
2.9 ghz
1/2 gig memory

Rob Buckley(Posted 2007) [#6]
Frame rate slow - Really. My machine is pretty rubbish and it runs fine. I'll have to look into this.
@big10p - It starts initailly at 1024x768, but you can change mode in game. Guess that aint much help :P

Fuller(Posted 2007) [#7]
Looking very nice. Downloading.

_33(Posted 2007) [#8]
Very well done game so far, well polished. Everything fits well together. The voice was annoying at first because it sounded so harsh, but it fits the mood of the game and the possible frustration of having this ball bearing bounce left and right in a very hard to control manner. It makes me think of an older game I once played on Atari ST.

John Blackledge(Posted 2007) [#9]
Utterly brilliant.

Great concept and beautifully implemented.

I hope you make a mint with it.

Fuller(Posted 2007) [#10]
I love this game.
It's fun and not too hard but not too easy. As the Levels go up it should get faster and much more frantic.
The voice was strange but I think if you just made it sound a little less like you recorded it and changed the pitch, it would be fine.

Amon(Posted 2007) [#11]
Nice and colourful. I enjoyed the demo.

May buy this when released. :)

MGE(Posted 2007) [#12]
"Frame rate slow - Really. My machine is pretty rubbish and it runs fine. I'll have to look into this."

My test machine is typical of the casual market. The onboard intel is the most popular graphics card on end user's machines. In 640x480 it was playable but still very coarse. Since your game is 3D, my hardware is probably not your market demographic.

Rob Buckley(Posted 2007) [#13]
MGE Developer said:
"My test machine is typical of the casual market. The onboard intel is the most popular graphics card on end user's machines. In 640x480 it was playable but still very coarse. Since your game is 3D, my hardware is probably not your market demographic."

I do hope to get some performance back when I trim everything. What is the onboard Intel memory size, as that might be an issue I can work on.

Not sure I ever had a demographic in mind when I started :) I just thought I'd do something that I'd enjoy, and 3d just looks cool. I agree its not casual, but then again breakout and pinball are considered casual, and I've always thought of this game as the bastard son of those two.

Thanks for you help :)

TomToad(Posted 2007) [#14]
I got an error
"HUD_SetImageClip The specified object does not exist."

TomToad(Posted 2007) [#15]
Ok, it worked the second time I tried it.

agent4125(Posted 2007) [#16]
Ah, I was wondering just recently what happened to this. I always liked the opening tune.

It's still a cool game, and looks great and the music is perfect. Most of my nits have to do with sound, which you might still be working on, but...

- The menu mouse-over "punch" sound is rather obnoxious.
- I would apply some filtering to the voice-over, make it more machine-like maybe, and add a bit of reverb.
- You could do some nice things with the bouncing sound since it occurs a lot, like vary the pitch and have 2 or 3 random sounds.
- The Genesis sound is way too loud.

Also, It's a bit confusing not to have the cursor right away on the menu. I understand why you'd have it disabled, but it's a bit frustrating; I initially thought maybe I needed to use keyboard-only. I would hide the menu until you can actually use it.

Grey Alien(Posted 2007) [#17]
Yeah I'd try to keep the VRAM use under 32MB as many cards aren't bigger than that and if you go above it, the graphics will have to keep being swapped in and out of VRAM which will really slow down the drawing.

big10p(Posted 2007) [#18]
@big10p - It starts initailly at 1024x768, but you can change mode in game. Guess that aint much help :P
Well, I can set a 1024x768 mode but it's all borked and hard to read because my monitor doesn't support the frequency - prolly not doing my monitor much good, either. :) I can't seem to locate a config file. Where are you storing the game settings?

Rob Buckley(Posted 2007) [#19]
Thanks for all your help so far. I've uploaded a new demo with a number of fixes according to peoples suggestions, though I've not got round to the sound/audio yet.

www.dread-donkey.com/downloads/ballbearingdemo.exe

I've changed the key control to be immediate rather than how it was as people seemed to think it unresponsive. I've also added Joystick, which is something I would like somebody to test as I don't own a Joystick. There is also a settings file so big10p can run it at 800x600

The Level in the demo is far bigger (takes about 10 minutes to complete) and is a better representation of the final game than before. It also now has its own match-3 game since no game is game is actually a game without this game :) I would like peoples opinion on the match 3 element too :)

So if anyone could check it out and tell me if the control feels better, or if the match 3 works, or even if the joystick control is correct.

Thanks Rob

Anatoly(Posted 2007) [#20]
I think you've meant this: :)
http://www.dread-donkey.com/downloads/ballbearingdemo.exe

Anatoly(Posted 2007) [#21]
I get a MAV after the splash pic :(

Rob Buckley(Posted 2007) [#22]
Really? I have uploaded a new demo anyway :) Hope this one works.

big10p(Posted 2007) [#23]
Gah, I think I dl'd this just before you put the new version up.

Anyway, I got a "HUD_SetImageClip The specified object does not exist" error when clicking the Play Game option in the frontend.

I'll try downloading the new version...

[edit]Nevermind. It worked OK when I ran it a second time. Looking great, so far! ;)

Rob Buckley(Posted 2007) [#24]
The HUD_SetImageClip error is intermitant, and normally works the next time.

I've rarely had it, and debugging it is a real sod. I'll sit down tonight and hunt it down like a dog!

The new demo is better anyway :)

MGE(Posted 2007) [#25]
"The HUD_SetImageClip error is intermitant, and normally works the next time." err.. I hate those kind of bugs, but for the end user checking out the download, there might not be a next time. ;)