Stramash WIP - GamePlay Video

Community Forums/Showcase/Stramash WIP - GamePlay Video

Stevie G(Posted 2007) [#1]
Stramash is completely Physics based, here is some footage of a few mates playing this last night ..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lb3izlLBBx8

p.s. Still looking for a sound man ..

ervin(Posted 2007) [#2]
That looks tremendously wacky!

MGE(Posted 2007) [#3]
Technically that appears to be one of the most amazing coding efforts I personally have ever seen, incredible!!

However, form a purely gaming perspective, I question the "fun" factor, due to the video looks a little slow paced and everything isn't exactly clear what you're doing and why.

So while the physics/coding engine is probably making alot of coders go "holy bytes batman", the end user gamer may not be a wowed. Make the game fast, fluid, fun and you may have an incredible game franchise. Good luck and I plan to keep my eye on this one!! WOW!

Uncle(Posted 2007) [#4]
Completely agree with MGE. Technically this looks really great. The engine appears to be solid enough, but from the game play aspect I couldnt figure out what you needed to do. The engine reminded me of a lot of Loco Roco on the PSP which is good thing. Im sure if you develop some game play then you would be onto a winner.

Good luck.

Réno(Posted 2007) [#5]
The engine looks incredible !! I think you could make very great games with that ! I like the synamic camera :)

GfK(Posted 2007) [#6]
Looks good - video gives it a credibility that was completely missing in the screenshots you posted a few days ago.

Rob Farley(Posted 2007) [#7]
See the problem I have with physics is that no matter how technically clever it is a game it does not make.

Rag Doll especially, I would like to see the main guy, run, jump, flip etc and from that sort of thing be able to use what appears to be a gravity gun to manipulate other stuff.

As it looks now, everything just floats around in low gravity in slow motion using some kind of hand of god.

Don't get me wrong, as aforementioned, technically it's impressive, however, not entirely sure where the game is there.

Stevie G(Posted 2007) [#8]
Thanks for the constructive feedback. I completely agree that a great physics engine does not automatically make a great game.

The game is well beyond a tech demo so I'll try to summarise exactly what the gameplay involves for the doubters among you. Don't get me wrong - there are those who will never like this kind of game so I've no plans to try and convert anyone.

The game is turn based strategy for up to 4 players. The concept if similar to worms in that the ultimate aim is to kill the opposition by any means necessary and it involves a fair amount of strategy - hence the slower pace. Bear in mind that fraps seems to record around 1/2 speed for me so it is faster than your seeing. The gravity and other world settings can be changed in an options menu to suit but it's very tricky to manipulate your guy and the objects around him at a faster pace.

At the start of each turn the controlled guy has a set amount of 'force' which he can use to manipulate objects which are within his 'force radius' ( the dotted circle around him ). Think of 'force' as your telekenisis power. Note that the force bar does not deplete in the video for obvious reasons. He can also send power to a shield which will protect him until he's next being controlled. Objects require different forces to move and do different damage. Most are breakable after a certain amount of punishment. When your 'force' is used it's the next guys turn.

You can kick, punch, squash, drown, magnetise, electricute, feed them to the animals and set them on fire to get the job done. There'll also be bonuses to pick up - double force, quad damage, teleport etc...

The game has a built in level editor where the user can create new levels and add objects. It's very intuitive and even a monkey could make a level.

I can fully understand if this hasn't enlightened you on whether the game is actually fun but the above, combined with some hilarious emergent physics behaviour, result in a very alive, very unpredicatable and ultimately fun game. I would never consider coding something which I didn't enjoy playing myself.

Anywho, that's just me but for most of you it'll be a case of suck it an see. Hopefully I'll prove some of you wrong in the not too distant future.

Cheers
Stevie

MGE(Posted 2007) [#9]
How much prototyping, testing, etc, did you do to actual end users (not tech heads or coders), etc, ? One thing I learned a long time ago, code a little, play test alot, repeat as needed. :)

Stevie G(Posted 2007) [#10]
I've played every iteration with my mates & some work collegues for a good few hours. None of which are coders so don't appreciate the technical aspects and are more concerned about the non-photorealistic graphics. They all loved it though.

I have some real testers lined up so the game will receive far more scrutiny shortly. I'm looking forward to hearing there critisism and making changes, adding stuff where necessary.

I don't claim this to be the next best thing and if my testers tell me it's shit I'll take it on the chin, release it for free and get back to working on my vehicle engine.

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2007) [#11]
Great!

MGE(Posted 2007) [#12]
"I don't claim this to be the next best thing and if my testers tell me it's shit I'll take it on the chin, release it for free and get back to working on my vehicle engine."

The thing is, it just might be able to BE the next best thing! Seriously, this is an incredible game engine you have built, I hope the game itself is easy and fun to pick up and play! Before you release it as free, contact me, hell I'm sure I could market it for you and make SOMETHING! :) lol...

Stevie G(Posted 2007) [#13]

Before you release it as free, contact me, hell I'm sure I could market it for you and make SOMETHING! :) lol...

I'll bear that in mind.

puki(Posted 2007) [#14]
Where's the demo?

I want a go.

Hand it over.

puki(Posted 2007) [#15]
Is it in here?
http://www.steviegoodwin.plus.com/

puki(Posted 2007) [#16]
What's the sandbox one?

puki(Posted 2007) [#17]
Wait a minute - you've made a physics system. Sort of 3 point masses with constraints. This is similar to how I would do it.

puki(Posted 2007) [#18]
I find it kind of difficult to play. Although, I didn't really read the instructions.

I'm assuming the backgrounds are meshes and you are letting Blitz3D handle the collsion stuff from your physics engine.

EDIT:
In fact, where are the instructions?

I keep dying when I press Space - what is Space for?

Stevie G(Posted 2007) [#19]
What are you wittering about Puki? Are you playing the TechDemo ... TD.zip?

puki(Posted 2007) [#20]
Dunno.

puki(Posted 2007) [#21]
I've worked it out now.

You rotate the mouse - like when throwing a lassoo.

Now I can Large about the level.

Can you do a "puki" backdrop mesh for me? Like yours, but with "puki" - then I can swap it for yours.

Stevie G(Posted 2007) [#22]
A 2 minute job ....

puki(Posted 2007) [#23]
Can I have it with a lower-case 'p' at the beginning and also without the dot above the 'i'?

I like the colour-scheme.

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2007) [#24]
Then how about a "enter your name, player 1" feature?