Tank Universal released

Community Forums/Showcase/Tank Universal released

MadJack(Posted 2007) [#1]
After a not inconsequential amount of dev time, Tank Universal is finally released.

I've added a submission to the front page news (with a goodly amount of marketing blather), but you guys can check it all out here first;

www.tankuniversal.com

Thanks to all those who have offered answers to my sometimes clueless tech questions in the past and took the time to download and test the various demos I posted.

Cheers!

For those who don't know;
Tank Universal is a 3d tank combat game (single player), set in a Tron like universe. 18 levels, huge battles, big explosions, nuff said.

GfK(Posted 2007) [#2]
Looks OK - quite a huge download and pretty high system requirements though.

I'll have to try it on my dev PC next time I'm up there. There's no point even trying on my laptop.

big10p(Posted 2007) [#3]
looking great, and congrats on finishing this! Yeah, is a bit of a pity about the sys requirements - means I can't play. :(

MadJack(Posted 2007) [#4]
big10p

About the sys reqs, have you tried the demo? (and what are your specs?)

big10p(Posted 2007) [#5]
No, I haven't tried the demo. I seem to remember there was something in my pathetic specs that prevented me from doing so - probably the fact that I can only use a screen res of 800x600. :/

MadJack(Posted 2007) [#6]
Hmm - it opens a window on start (320x240) and you can then specify the 3d res (incl 800x600). However, I'm guessing you're using integrated graphics?

big10p(Posted 2007) [#7]
Oh, then I'm not sure what the reason was. My specs are:
- 1Ghz Athlon
- 256MB RAM
- GeForce2 GTS 32MB
- win98SE

Will it run on that?

MadJack(Posted 2007) [#8]
No.

(But I'd be quite interested to see how badly it crashes your machine) ;-)

big10p(Posted 2007) [#9]
An 80meg dl to find that out? No thanks! :D

MadJack(Posted 2007) [#10]
Aw go on - and buy a copy too ;-)

Tachyon(Posted 2007) [#11]
Wow, nice! I love the controls and sound. Very cool TRON-like environment. I only played for about 5 minutes but enjoyed everything so far. Will play the demo a bit more, but I could definitely see myself purchasing this one.

GNS(Posted 2007) [#12]
Awesome! I've been waiting for this one. Great job, MadJack.

Grey Alien(Posted 2007) [#13]
Good. I'll big it up on Binary Joy soon...

Pete Rigz(Posted 2007) [#14]
Great going on not giving up on this, seems like you've been at it for ages.

The screen shots on the website don't do it justice really, you've got 640x480 images but used the image tag to scale them to fit in the space which reduces the quality a lot imo. Scale them the right size in Photoshop and maybe create even bigger ones that open in a separate window.

Grisu(Posted 2007) [#15]
Congrats that you finished the game!

Blitzplotter(Posted 2007) [#16]
Congrats... downloading now. Runs fine on my humble 1.8 gig athlon with 128MBytes Radeon, very impressive.

ervin(Posted 2007) [#17]
Oh yes - been waiting patiently for this!
Well done MadJack!

ImaginaryHuman(Posted 2007) [#18]
I wish I could test this out on the Mac. In the future?

Zenith(Posted 2007) [#19]
Well done, MadJack, glad its finally out the door! :)
(Glad I could have been of service :))

MadJack(Posted 2007) [#20]
Thanks all - its been a bit of a mission. Think I might have a celebratory beer or two today!

Zenith
Thanks muchly for your help in this - I've included your name in the credits (game tester).

I wish I could test this out on the Mac. In the future?

It'd have to be converted to Blitzmax. Guess that's possible...

skidracer(Posted 2007) [#21]
Well done MadJack, it's fantastic to see Tank Universal released!

MadJack(Posted 2007) [#22]
Grey Alien

Good. I'll big it up on Binary Joy soon...

Look forward to it ;-)

ervin(Posted 2007) [#23]
I've just finished playing the demo.

Absolutely fantastic - the sense of being a single unit (albeit a very important one) within a larger battle is very well done.
I really got the feeling that I was helping to advance the greater cause.

The tension in battles is excellent, especially when you are trying to power up a shot and are under threat of being fired upon. I'm also very impressed by the scale of the battles - the levels are huge and the number of friendly and enemy units fighting each other is very impressive.

It's also a remarkably polished and attractive game. Much like Naked War, it's a perfect demonstration of what Blitz3D is capable of in the right hands.

I'm off to buy a copy.
I wish you much success with this brilliant game.

[EDIT] I also wanted to mention the credits. It's wonderful to see such respectful and thankful credits as yours.

danjo(Posted 2007) [#24]
i played the demo and loved it. i bought the full thing, and found it was better than the demo. if you like tron, you'll love this.
im playing it in 1280x1024 and it plays great with all effects on. i did experience some slowdown on the evacuation level when i popped smoke everywhere.. :P

(amd4600,2g ram,7800gtx 512)

Picklesworth(Posted 2007) [#25]
What is this with great looking Blitz3D products?

In the last week we've seen Nream, Tecno and this all come to life and they are fantastic!
You guys own 3D graphics.

This is fine proof that the Direct X version does not give you prettier graphics; DX 7 gets more capable as the hardware improves, too!

Great job, MadJack. This game is excellent in every way.

MadJack(Posted 2007) [#26]
Glad to hear people are enjoying the game - thanks for the feedback!

In terms of fps, it can chug a bit when there's lots of action going on and lots of particles - but this is not typical.

For better fps, make sure the glow fx is off (it's off by default). Looks pretty, but chews up a lot of fps. (You may like to turn it back on when things are quieter as it really helps with the Tron atmosphere).

Also, of course, playing at a lower res can add a good fps boost as well.

In terms of DX7's capabilities, I think there's much mileage to be had out of developing a colourful, cohesive art direction - and you don't need DX9 to do that. I don't play WOW, but I have noticed in videos, that it features a colourful artistic style that in itself is just plain fun to look at...

kragoth74(Posted 2007) [#27]
Nice and stylish :-) !! A game with a true personality...
Well done MadJack !!

Stevie G(Posted 2007) [#28]
Nice one mate - looks great! This has been veeery long time coming!!

All the best with it.

What's next on the agenda?

Stevie

Grey Alien(Posted 2007) [#29]
pimped: http://www.binaryjoy.co.uk/games/games-news/tank-universal-released/

MadJack(Posted 2007) [#30]
Grey Alien
Much appreciated!

What's next on the agenda?

Marketing. You can release a game but if no one knows about it...

ervin(Posted 2007) [#31]
I'm currently playing through the level where you must cross the chasm, and that glowing train thingy goes past regularly.
I can honestly say that the scale in the level is remarkable. The level design is excellent.
The brief moments of peace between the hectic battles serve to heighten the tension - it really feels like a struggle for life at times.

[EDIT] Next level now. WOW! Some of those enemies... cripes!
And the explosion! Biggest explosion ever?!?! My jaw actually dropped!

This game should serve as an inspiration to everyone on these forums.

REALLY REALLY brilliant stuff.

MadJack(Posted 2007) [#32]
And the explosion! Biggest explosion ever?!?! My jaw actually dropped!

He hasn't seen the nuke yet ;-)

Picklesworth(Posted 2007) [#33]
Hm... I have yet to put a huge amount of playing in (and I only have the demo so far), but this game sounds much bigger than your screenshots are letting on ;)

MCP(Posted 2007) [#34]
Congratulations on Tank Universal's release MadJack.
Just bought it and I'm itching to play... Well done!

Long live the bedroom programmer :)

Naughty Alien(Posted 2007) [#35]
..hey..how to destroy those energy fields..I kick out all turrets but I cant pass energy fields..any tip?

MadJack(Posted 2007) [#36]
What's listed under your mission goals?

If it's 'activate hub with glyph', pick up a glyph and go to your hub.

If it's 'investigate cavern', follow the direction indicator on your radar.

If it's 'await titans', wait for the big fellas to arrive - they should then knock down the fortress walls.

Terry B.(Posted 2007) [#37]
Wow looks amazing, but I doubt my computer could handle it.
How did you do your glow effects?

ervin(Posted 2007) [#38]
Just got through the waste grounds, to the bit with the trees.
WOW... just a beautiful art style. Really really beautiful.

But, erm... sheep?
Was that bit inspired by Philip K Dick?

MadJack: Quick question if I may - what timing method did you use in TU? Delta or Tweening?

MadJack(Posted 2007) [#39]
How did you do your glow effects?

Tom's dx7test - rendertotexture.

But, erm... sheep? Was that bit inspired by Philip K Dick?

I'm a New Zealander - there had to be sheep ;-)

what timing method did you use in TU? Delta or Tweening?

Locked at 30fps.

caff_(Posted 2007) [#40]
Like others, I like the art style. And congratulations on finishing this.

MadJack(Posted 2007) [#41]
Wow looks amazing, but I doubt my computer could handle it.

Must be upgrade time then! ;-)

ervin(Posted 2007) [#42]
Well, I've been playing this pretty much non-stop since buying it, and I just finished it (on easy).

Bravo MadJack!
Fantastic game! I'll be playing it again on the next difficulty level.

I must say the storyline is excellent too - well presented and well written.

Roll on part 2!

MadJack(Posted 2007) [#43]
ervin

One question, when you fired off the nuke (at the Logic Gate), did you get caught by the blastwall? Or did you try to outrun it?

ervin(Posted 2007) [#44]
Before I say anything else, I just want to mention that the nuke is absolutely astonishing!

Okay - I went about halfway down the hill between the red and blue bases, and fired the nuke from there.
When I saw what the nuke does and what was happening, I panicked and tried to back out of there as fast as possible, but I was caught in the blast.
I didn't get destroyed by it, and I really like the way my tank was brought back online. The whole thing was a spectacular surprise.

MadJack(Posted 2007) [#45]
Cool - since the nuke is 'on your side' I felt it shouldn't destroy the player, yet being caught in the blastwall needed to be of some consequence - hence your tank's systems are powered down for a short time...

Naughty Alien(Posted 2007) [#46]
..how to save game progress...I just finished first level and went over bridge, but I cant see any save button or something (playing demo)...

MadJack(Posted 2007) [#47]
No save in the demo.

Grey Alien(Posted 2007) [#48]
perhaps the demo should have save otherwise you are just punishing potential customers...

MadJack(Posted 2007) [#49]
If I have time, I'll look at instituting it.

9572AD(Posted 2007) [#50]
I just can't get on with the controls. When you turn the tank and the turret doesn't turn in relation it disorients the crap out of me.

MadJack(Posted 2007) [#51]
9572AD

Go to options - there's a checkbox to have the turret turn with the tankbase.

ervin(Posted 2007) [#52]
9572AD - give the controls a chance.

Once you get used to them, control of the tank feels very natural.
At any rate, try the option suggested by MadJack and see if it helps.
It's a fantastic game and well worth the effort to get used to driving around.

Geehawk(Posted 2007) [#53]
Not my kind of thing, but I gave it a go anyway.

Very impressive. The controls had me confused a bit, but it is worth persevering with them.

I suck at it, but that my fault not the games.

I dont get on well with first person games, so a 3rd person view would be ace ;-)

Well done!

blade007(Posted 2007) [#54]
wow! screenshot looks good! although i can't play it. my specs are high enough ,but the download will take a while on my dial up :(

Chroma(Posted 2007) [#55]
MJ, is my name in the credits for play tester too?!?! :p

MadJack(Posted 2007) [#56]
MJ, is my name in the credits for play tester too?!?! :p

I listed the beta testers.

LineOf7s(Posted 2007) [#57]
Just got around to playing this.

Ball-achingly compelling.

Even on my mockworthy setup it ran like a charm - even with the uber-pretty glow effect on.

This is a must-buy for me.

MadJack(Posted 2007) [#58]
Blade007
but the download will take a while on my dial up :(

If the 80meg 'extended' demo is too much, I've just uploaded a much smaller version (36megs), which will let you get a fine idea of the gameplay.
http://www.tankuniversal.com/DOWNLOADS.html

LineOf7s
Ball-achingly compelling.

Glad to hear you [cough] enjoyed it!

_33(Posted 2007) [#59]
What I'm mostly interested here are sales figures, and also reviews. If there are any reviews of this game anywhere, I would really be interested in them.

GNS(Posted 2007) [#60]
I'd like to see another worklog (it's been a while, after all!) just to put some icing on the cake. :]

I'm really interested in hearing about the technical hurdles you had to overcome with the game. The kind of detail in the levels is really something to be proud of considering surface count limitations, etc. Great stuff all around!

Winni(Posted 2007) [#61]
Megacool game, bought it today. :)

Naughty Alien(Posted 2007) [#62]
..I'd like to see save option in demo in order to properly finish level..its a bit annoying to pass again and again same thing just to finish it..is this possible?

MadJack(Posted 2007) [#63]
If there are any reviews of this game anywhere, I would really be interested in them.

Eight out of ten game reviews are set to release a review on Aug 3rd
http://jaguarusf.blogspot.com/

I'm really interested in hearing about the technical hurdles you had to overcome with the game.

GNS - I'm on holiday for a week now, I'll try and get something together that would cover the graphics but also a few notes about the AI?

Megacool game, bought it today. :)

Winni - thanks - hope you find it entertaining!

.I'd like to see save option in demo in order to properly finish level

NA - how about a compromise. If I update the demo with a console cheat so you can skip to the level you want (e.g. warp 11)?

Naughty Alien(Posted 2007) [#64]
..thats ok MadJack...I think I'll buy it anyway, but suggestion is, if you can make save option for demo, with just 1-2 levels, thats will be great..its hard to go agaion and again trough game just to reach point I was last time..

MadJack(Posted 2007) [#65]
NA

I'm going to come clean here about TU's save system.

The fact is that when I first started coding the game all those years ago, I didn't properly plan for a 'save anywhere' system (bit of a lesson here for would-be indie game designers)

This means in the full game your progress is saved at each level start. If you exit the game, and reload your profile, you will restart the level in which you exited.

Not the best I know, but then again the levels are not too long and I suspect most players probably quit when they're just into a new level. Also the somewhat fluid nature of the combat may help as well.

DarkMere(Posted 2007) [#66]
I bought the game a few days ago, and unlike 90% of the games I buy, I am not disappointed. I don't buy many games as I am very picky, but I think T.U. is excellent.

I agree with you regarding the 'save game' situation, I think its one of the games only weak points. Being a more elderly member of this forum I do suffer from quite bad arthritis in my finger joints. I have cursed at the screen a few times when for instance you have to cross the maze, going over the red switches en-route to finding the guy at the other side. If you fail you get put back at the start of the maze. If at this point like me, you have to turn off, you get put back to the start of the level. Ahhhhhhhh!!!!!

MadJack(Posted 2007) [#67]
Darkmere

I hear you. I think in a situation like that, I could look at a savepoint system, as the maze part of that level is separate from the rest of the level (scripting wise), so at least you would restart at the maze portion of that level. (In fact if the game gets picked up by a publisher, I wouldn’t be surprised if a save checkpoint system would be a request they’d make before taking on the title).

However, as game programmer, it’d be a much trickier job in the big battle levels to make sure every unit + positioning + particlefx + behaviors + global vals were accurately recreated on reload.

big10p(Posted 2007) [#68]
BTW MadJack, given my specs (above), what is the limiting factor that won't allow me to play this? Or is it everything?! :P

I'd love to take a look at this, even if it did chug badly on my feeble machine.

GNS(Posted 2007) [#69]
Yep, I'd like to see some discussion about the graphical hurdles (texturing tips, ideas for geometry, etc.) as well as some notes about the AI. In your previous worklogs you talked about the difficulty in debugging such an 'open' game, I'm interesting in hearing whether things got any easier as the game progressed.

Basically any 'behind the scenes' stuff. :]

MadJack(Posted 2007) [#70]
big10p
what is the limiting factor that won't allow me to play this? Or is it everything?!

I suspect you could play the 'compact' demo at 640x480
http://madjack.fileburst.com/TU_COMPACT_INSTALL.exe

For the above demo, vidmem's the main limiting factor in that when there's a lot going on vidmem may exceed 32megs (lots of particles / meshes). However, you may want to give it a go (download size is 37megs)

GNS
Basically any 'behind the scenes' stuff. :]

Ok, I'll put together some notes...

big10p(Posted 2007) [#71]
OK, I'll give it a try. Yeah, I only have 32mb but there's always the AGP graphics aperture mem, too. It'll probably chug like a very chuggy thing, but here goes... :P

big10p(Posted 2007) [#72]
Heh, I think you'll have to downgrade your min specs, somewhat - it runs perfectly on my rig! ;)

I haven't played all the way through the demo yet, but what I've seen so far is lovely. Great atmosphere. Congrats, again! :)

ervin(Posted 2007) [#73]
On my PC TU runs really nicely, but the WasteRing level really struggles (when the garbage ships appear and do their thing).
Turning off Glow helps a lot, but the game definitely runs a lot slower on this level (but ONLY when those garbage ships appear).

I'm running a laptop with 2GB RAM, Pentium 4 @ 3.4, and a 256MB x600.

MadJack(Posted 2007) [#74]
Hi all

Have uploaded a Youtube vid showing gameplay in level4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Ir_qnbp2Lk

Jsoren(Posted 2007) [#75]
just downloaded the demo, and wow! very nice, and it plays fine even on my laptop which i guarentee dosnt have the reqs!

great job!
JS

Steve Elliott(Posted 2007) [#76]
This is a great game with a superb atmosphere - and you finally nailed the tank controls.

Sorry I couldn't beta test it more - but I had to take my holiday. ;-)

MadJack(Posted 2007) [#77]
Here's another - section of Level8, 'The Chasm'

http://youtube.com/watch?v=yASpeUoIBRY

ervin(Posted 2007) [#78]
The Chasm is an excellent level.

LineOf7s(Posted 2007) [#79]
Re: level 8 video (and level 4 video, as it turns out)

Is that as fast as the tank goes all the time, or has that been upgraded somehow?

Maybe my computer's not handling it as well as I thought it was, since compared to that it's crrrraaaaawwwllllliiiing...

It doesn't make it unplayable, but it'd certainly be *more* playable if it sped along like that all the time. :o)

MadJack(Posted 2007) [#80]
Even on my mockworthy setup it ran like a charm - even with the uber-pretty glow effect on.

On the big levels, I expect your rig will crawl. You can squeeze more frames by playing at lower res, turning off glowfx and complex sky.

LineOf7s(Posted 2007) [#81]
See, if it was crawling, I didn't notice. Which is good. :o)

I'll pare it back to bare-bones and see what kind of a difference it makes.

MadJack(Posted 2007) [#82]
Woohoo! Just got an email from the French division of Future Publishing - they want to include TU on the cover disc of one of their mags (they didn't spec which one).

Viva la France!

Rob Farley(Posted 2007) [#83]
That's great news, well done!

I've still not got round to downloading this, but I definitely need to have a go!

LineOf7s(Posted 2007) [#84]
"Universel de Réservoir" doesn't quite have the same sense of forboding, does it? :o)

Thanks Google Translate.

MadJack(Posted 2007) [#85]
I've still not got round to downloading this, but I definitely need to have a go!

Well how much more encouragement do you need?! ;-)
http://madjack.fileburst.com/TU_COMPACT_INSTALL.exe

LineOf7s
Lol

Rob Farley(Posted 2007) [#86]
Well I need to be at home for starters. And not be decorating every room in the house.

MadJack(Posted 2007) [#87]
And not be decorating every room in the house.

Fair enough!

_33(Posted 2007) [#88]
MadJack, you'd be fooling yourself if you give your game to the frensc magazine, as you'll make very little money from this and your game will just be spread around in an almost piracy like fashion. All you'll get will be fame, no fortune.

LineOf7s(Posted 2007) [#89]
_33:

Surely he'll just give the magazine the demo version - much like what he's made freely available via download from his site. A generous demo it might be... but it certainly leaves one wanting more.

MadJack(Posted 2007) [#90]
_33

Yes - should have said the demo is to go on the mag cd, not the full game.

Zenith(Posted 2007) [#91]
Yay, congrats x4 now Phil :D

MadJack(Posted 2007) [#92]
Well, TU's had its first review;

http://jaguarusf.blogspot.com/2007/07/tank-universal-review.html

And sad to say, he pretty much cans it.

Perhaps if I'd written it in 2D and added a match-3 mini-game...sigh

Chalky(Posted 2007) [#93]
Hey MadJack - he didn't 'can it' at all. He didn't like the fact it had no 'skirmish' or 'multiplayer' mode. Well that's a good thing in my book - I am growing tired of games which rely on multiplayer and therefore have no decent single-player mode for people like me (who never play online).

He also didn't like that fact that you can't save mid-mission. Being a gaming-pleb, I too would probably find that frustrating as I found TU (demo) very hard. However seasoned gamers may not be phased by this.

Why not use his review to your advantage and add the following quote to your website:

"Tank Universal has a unique presentation... Neat graphical style, varied gameplay... interesting story... a nice little game..." James Allen

big10p(Posted 2007) [#94]
Heh - it's funny how people only pick up on the negative stuff in reviews. I've done it myself. I agree with Chalky - he had reservations, but he certainly didn't 'can it'.

DarkMere(Posted 2007) [#95]
I agree, he did not can it.
Also, you have to take into consideration that you are a one man show. Having bought the game and played it from beginning to end twice, my feeling about the game are this:
If I had paid the same price as I paid for Freelancer when that came out, I would have been disappointed. The game is not as good as something like Freelancer, it would be impossible for it to be so give your budget and the number of developers on your team ;) If you consider that Freelancer deserves a glowing report, then your game has done very well considering the difference in cost.

I enjoyed the game.

MadJack(Posted 2007) [#96]
Chalky/big10p

I agree he makes some good points regarding skirmish/multiplayer/save, but it was the use of the word 'ruined' in the summing up that had me a bit miffed - I think that was a bit of a stiff assessment.

Tank Universal has a unique presentation ruined by some questionable level pacing and the lack of skirmish or multiplayer features.

Ruined?

(As an aside, I am starting to get the feeling that 3d indie games just seem to get a harder time than 2d indie prods. Just how many pixel platformers and SHMUPs does the indie world really need?)

As for his dislike of of the slower levels, I have to wonder if the fact that he's plowing through 2-3 games a week for review doesn't affect his perception of slower levels in a game? I suspect if it had been combat all the way, he might have commented on how the combat becomes repetitous.

But the fact is, the game just isn't selling. Admittedly it's only been about three weeks since release, but I don't mind letting on that I've only sold about 10 copies and that's mainly to my fellow blitzers (appreciated guys!)

I've been getting consistent feedback that people really enjoy the demo though. Just this morning, I got an email out of the blue from a guy saying he's played a lot of games, and he really enjoyed the demo - enough to email me. I wrote back thanking him, along with a link to where he can buy the full version ;-)

Out of eight makes the comment that;
Tank Universal is a nice little game that just doesn’t have the depth to maintain interest for very long.

That's true - it's a linear run-through of 17 levels that gives you perhaps 5-8 hours of entertainment. Once played through, you can replay any level thereafter whenever you want - if you want.

So it may be the price point. I've dropped the price to $14.95USD. (Apologies to those who've bought the game)

Additionally, I've submitted the game to Manifesto Games and Merscom Publishing. It's possible Merscom may request additional features (skirmish) be implemented.

Also, it's due to be included on at least one PC mag's coverdisc in France. So maybe with these two avenues and the cheaper price, more people will be tempted to grab it.

Who was John Galt?(Posted 2007) [#97]
Don't let it get you down mate. Whether it sells or not, putting a game of that complexity together yourself is a REAL achievement.

_33(Posted 2007) [#98]
Well you could of used those "spread your game to 35 review site for 30$" or something, which could have helped the sell. Some people are looking for that Tron like environment. As told in the review, the pace is very irregular. Often you just wonder around, and there is no action going on, or you have to face some almost impossible odds. That will play against this game if the player/reviewer isn't really expecting this sort of behaviour. But, IMHO the game could have been made with additionnal "on the side" combats, or one on one, or deathmatch, whatnot. I do believe the engine is capable enough and that Blitz3D has the tools necessary and 3rd party code to boot.

Just my 2 cents.

Cheers.

Rob Buckley(Posted 2007) [#99]
Personally I find the fact that you've mainly sold to people on this forum (jaded coders - who don't buy anything) amazing in itself, so I think its more a lack of getting the word out. How many downloads have you had, as the % of sales to downloads is the most telling factor.

MadJack(Posted 2007) [#100]
_33

'some almost impossible odds' - yeah, but Jacques you weren't using the charge-up shot option ;-) (or many of the power-ups I think).

I think there's something of personal pref here as well - I'm ok with games that have changes in pacing - in fact I get a bit tired of the insistence on continual combat in games - and that will influence my design decisions, but others just want combat all the time.

Having said that, if I were to reconsider some of the levels, the part were you walk through the tower could have been condensed into a cutscene.

But, IMHO the game could have been made with additionnal "on the side" combats, or one on one, or deathmatch, whatnot

For sure - but as a one man 'team', there comes a time when you just need to get something out, else your project's likely to stall - permamently, and I was at that point.

MadJack(Posted 2007) [#101]
Rob

as the % of sales to downloads is the most telling factor

The demo's at a number of spots - at last tally somewhere around 900 - 1000 downloads.

Terry B.(Posted 2007) [#102]
Just tried it.
Insanly addicting, its really fun to play, and I like the tron like graphics style.
Great job!

GNS(Posted 2007) [#103]
10 copies out of 1000 downloaded is actually good considering the conversion rate for most indie games is something like 0.2-0.5%. A 1% conversion rate is what most indies hope to achieve.

As for the review, I wouldn't worry too much about it. Take note of his criticisms and fix the ones you agree with but remember, you can't please everyone so at the end of the day you have to make the game you'd want to play.

After all that's done, write about it (hint, hint).

Regular K(Posted 2007) [#104]
Oh wow, I remember playing the beta or something to this game a long time ago I think. Finally released, well that took a while.

I think it would be nice if the buttons and clickable text would hover/change if the mouse is over them. Makes the interface seem more dynamic.

ervin(Posted 2007) [#105]
$14.95 USD is great value for this game.
I have no regrets at all for having paid $18.95 in the first week of release.

MadJack(Posted 2007) [#106]
Thanks ervin/GNS/TerryR

Something that might be of interest to indies - it seems that getting a mention and link on BluesNews was a bit of a gateway to having the demo picked up on Gamershell and other mainstream gaming sites.

http://bluesnews.com/

_33(Posted 2007) [#107]
MadJack, I don't know why thoe you stick to having your game a one man show all along. Could it be the objectives that you had in mind that you didn't want to get distracted? May it be the fact you need 100% confidence in your partner? Or may it be the fact of obtaining 100% of sales profit?

Regardless, you might gain in the future by splitting work and sharing ideas in a open game development environment with strict and clear objectives. Obviously your dev skills are pretty good, and you have some modeling skills that I wish I could have. But a project like this would have benefitted you and everyone else if you'd find the perfect partner, and it could have given you more ideas and open more doors to other game scenarios, and possible by foot FPS type shooting action that I found was lacking in this game. Or adding more creature, besides the sheep, lakes, what not!

The whole credential of this game is pretty good thoe. I respect a lot of how it all came together in a very nice way. And I wish you luck and courage for a TU2, which I think could rectify the puzzling review results.

MadJack(Posted 2007) [#108]
Or may it be the fact of obtaining 100% of sales profit?

What profit? ;-)

MadJack, I don't know why thoe you stick to having your game a one man show all along.

Control mainly, plus from what I've seen, it's a fraught thing having to rely on an unpaid team to get things done. If I do another game, I'd probably pay for an artist to handle asset creation.

Pete Carter(Posted 2007) [#109]
MadJack: Ive just played you demo, I started off looking at it and thinking it looks cool but it will be just plain dull. But i must say, its the best blitz3d game ive played and the best tank game. i really look the whole look and feel of the thing. well done :O)

how long did it take you?

Naughty Alien(Posted 2007) [#110]
..i just got weird thing here...i hear sound like one at begining when tank appear on scene, then screen went blue and again I am back in to game (I think) but nothing is on screen (totally black) except radar screen..regarding my motion on radar (tried to see what will happen), whole game slow down horribly..this is third time I got this thing on 2 different machines...I was not killed by other tank for sure because I was actually in front of my base carrying enemy key...I dont know what is it about but here is specs..few time I notice also that game slow down after giant robots came on scene...everything slow down in manner like..its going smooth, then everything freeze half a second then continue smooth again few seconds and then same freeze, and round and round..

1st machine
nVidia 7600GT, 256MB VRAM, P4, 2.4 GHz, 1 Gig RAM, WinXP SP2

2nd machine
nVidia 7900GT, 256MB RAM, P4, 3.2 GHz, 2 Gig RAM, WinXP Pro SP2

Chalky(Posted 2007) [#111]
Finally managed to buy a copy - despite Share-it!'s best attempts to prevent me...

Jeez - I know I am a gaming-pleb - but I am playing this thing on EASY and can't get past the 'walk through the battlefield' level. It took me AGES just to complete the training battle (and I had already done this when playing the demo). It's just too damn hard - after my 9th death I could not quit to the desktop fast enough. When the odds are so stacked against the player, the 'just-one-more-go' element gets buried under the frustration of feeling you only have luck - rather than skill - on your side.

The presentation of this game is superb - the sense of 'being there' - in the excellent Tron-like world - is total. But (IMO) the difficulty curve needs looking at, for though experienced gamers may find it easy, noobs like me may well simply be put off - no matter how pretty it looks...

Of course - it could just be that I'm crap at this sort of game... :o)

MadJack(Posted 2007) [#112]
Chalky

Regards the 'walk through the battlefield' level - are you aware by holding down the LMB you recharge your health? You have to take it slow and if you lose health, recharge to the full. But also avoid getting run down by one of the tanks. There's a trench in the level on the way to the exit you should follow - if you try to go up and over you'll attract extra fire.

As for the training level - it plays the same as the demo. In terms of tactics, keep moving and zigzagging - you may need to hang back if there's 2 or more enemy tanks and remember to hold down the LMB when you can to charge up your shots. But you'll have to use judgement when to release a charged up shot as any damage and you'll lose the charge.

Finally, if all else fails, hit the tilde key and type 'god' to go to godmode.

Chalky(Posted 2007) [#113]
MadJack - I have already managed to complete the training level. As you say - it's the same as the demo - but I still think it's a tad hard, particularly since you are using that to entice people into buying the game.

I will try the walking bit again later - and use god-mode as an absolute last resort!

Don't get me wrong - I love this game, and have admitted that the failings I find within it are probably due to my lack of skills. I just wish it eased me in a little gentler so that I can get better at playing it without pulling out [what's left of] my hair... :o/

DarkMere(Posted 2007) [#114]
Chalky, load it back up and give it another go. Its not that the game is too difficult, its more a case of learning how to go about each level. I had the same problem with my first attempts at that level, yet I think I could almost guarantee to do it each and every time now, and quite quickly too.

In the level in question you have to keep your eye on your health and recharge when needed, not being in too much of a hurry to proceed until you have fully recharged, should you take a hit before you really get going again, then you have to do it all again. When you are making progress then you have to get a move on.

Some levels require a mind set to make fast progress, to try and bypass tanks rather then waiting for them all to be wiped out, while others require you to take a more 'clear as you go' approach. Unfortunately you have no way of knowing until you discover from trial and error the one that works best for the particular level. The inability to save more often aggravates this problem.

Its worth making the effort because its a good game well worth playing.

MadJack(Posted 2007) [#115]
Darkmere/Chalky

I'm also writing up some notes regarding each level's playstyle and will post on the TU website's forum shortly.

DarkMere(Posted 2007) [#116]
I think that's a great idea Madjack. Like I have said I think the game is really good. It must be almost impossible to polish and test it to the nth degree when you are a one man band. Also it has to be just as difficult to consider every problem from every players view point.

I hardly ever spend any money on games any more. I am very hard to please. I regard it as money well spent.

Chalky(Posted 2007) [#117]
What Darkmere said. It's certainly kept me quiet now (apart from the odd curse or two. Well lots actually...) for several hours. One day I'll get the hang of how to play it as well. I WILL get the hang of it... I WILL... :o/

MadJack(Posted 2007) [#118]
Chalky

Have posted some notes here;
http://www.tankuniversal.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=27

May also update the game with a 'very easy' mode + 'instant action' skirmish mode.

WedgeBob(Posted 2007) [#119]
Yeah, I'll probably wait until I go back to a desktop to try these out, being on a dead-end configuration on a notebook certainly ain't gonna help matters much, that I can tell ya...

MadJack(Posted 2007) [#120]
Chalky

Out of interest - are you playing with the turret linked to the tankbase (the tankbase turns - the turret turns too)?

Chalky(Posted 2007) [#121]
Have posted some notes

These are great - having some idea of how to approach a level really helps.

are you playing with the turret linked to the tankbase

I tried it not linked and got nowhere! Then I read a previous post about linking the turret and have played it that way ever since.

May also update the game with a 'very easy' mode

I would only do this if several people are complaining about the current difficulty level - as said by someone earlier, you can't please everyone (and I AM a self-confessed wuss when it comes to playing games like this)...

Proteus(Posted 2007) [#122]
I've already written my views of UT demo to the creator of the game.
But I think it is about time to make a review of the full game.

I've spent many years looking for good independently developed software, games or otherwise. And the only one's getting my money are the titles that can create the "WOW" feeling. And Tank Universal goes it in spades!

Not many years ago there was game called Tron 2.0 (I think). It was a first person shooter. It failed as a success but it had one thing which made worth remember. The graphics. The look was taken directly from the classic movie Tron and put onto steroids.
UT got nearly the same look but it is actually a joy to play!

The "Tank" genre belongs in the same family as Tetris and other old game princples. Correctly executed it wipes the floore with most "modern" game ideas. As most "classics" do.

UT is at it's core a quite simple game. You move around in a tank and shoot stuff.
But the thing is...UT actually manages to bring some novelty into the whole mix. Ok the story is not huge but it holds water within it's own context.
It also adds depth with layers upon layers. They also enhance each other. The cyberspace world feels more real by being compared to something else, like difference in focus in a picture.

So you sit in this tank. The controls are not difficult. Move the tank, turn the turret and shoot. Single shots or more charged ones. That's it.
There are a few tutorials. You get the chance to try out everything before diving into the story. Sounds simple?

Well here comes the crux. It's actually quite the challange. Even on easy setting the player need to work to see the next step in the story. With no savepoints your progress is saved as you pass into the next level. That means that if you die and have to respawn, you have to do the latest level from the beginning.
It can and IS frustrating on some levels, but it works anyway. At least you get practice, and if you could save whenever you wanted the levels would pass by way to fast.

Some levels require timing others that you think before you act. But you always keep track of your agenda on any given level. You have a mini map which shows you places to go, enemies and also your own tank and so on.

During the play you pick up "shards"; small crystals that all dying tanks leave behind. These shards are used to power extra abilities; powerups. It may be things like extra speed, healing or new temporary weapons.

And during all this (and it looks and sounds stunningly good!) you can feel the dual layer of the story.
Not only is the player thrown between the "real" plane and the viritual, but there is also a subplot. Something is going on in the viritual world and
I can not shake the feeling of that this "something" is connecting back to the "real" part of the story. Anyhow..it's great stuff. Remember, making this game is a one man show.

So why am I so happy about this title? Is it the fact that few commersial titles are able to look this fantasticly good? Or is it that the whole thing is made with Blitz Basic 3D? Or maybe it's the whole "indy-feeling" that I simply adore?
Well to be honest it's all of them. But mostly the sum of the parts that make this a small jewel as (indy) games go. And at the price of less than $15 it's a steal. Anyone not getting this is making both the maker as well as them selves a HUGE disservice: Shame on you, and never again complain over game prices or the lack of novelty in computer games!

So finally, are there no less good things to say?

Yes there are. On some older computers this game "may" run somewhat slow. But then again...there's never a bad time to uppgrade is there? :-)
Also, some levels are a bit to hard on the easiest level.
Further the lack of save points can get in your face when in combination of the harder levels. I admit, I'm not the best player despite the fact I simply love a nicly implemented idea.
And there is also a obvious lack of skirmish. Even if you play all missions on all three difficulty levels, and then some, you soon run out of things to do. Other than just shine and go sight seeing during the levels when you outclass the enemy :D
So more levels and a skirmish mode, and maybe a future multiplayer function would be super. I would love to just connect via ip-no with friends and do competative or co-op play!
Also some times you can not heare the "speach" sound due to a bit to high level of background noise. Not all the time but in some spots, the sound should have been a bit more balanced.
So my final words are these: The last time I spent this much energy on an indy game title, was when I found Darwinia (http://www.darwinia.co.uk/).
And Tank Universal is at least that good, even if it's not as big of a title (levels or size).

Get this while it's out! And if you like it, there is a sequel comming som keep those eyes looking. The truth is out there!

I will spread the word to all I belive would like it be sure of it!

Well met in cyberspace....

Peter Ståhlberg
Sweden
Rev 2.0

MadJack(Posted 2007) [#123]
Thanks very much Peter - glad you're enjoying it!

Regards the game, I've resolved to go back to it and introduce updates. These would likely include a skirmish mode, extra levels, tweaking some of the existing levels and creating save points at some the more irksome points at least. I'll look at multiplayer as I'm aware that's something of a holy grail, but it may need a bit too much of a rewrite.

Anyway, your emailed suggestions regarding improvements was very useful - I'll be going back to it no doubt in my dev plan!

Proteus(Posted 2007) [#124]
Regarding the multiplayer thing...hm....personally I do not see it as a "holy grail". In some limited form it can be very fun and expand the game. But if everything else is well made you can pass it by. Not all of us out there are multplayer freaks ;-)

About save points, welll... you could get by withoug them too. But at certain points you could update the profile so the player is spared some very annoying aggrevation. Like in the maze, when trigging the last red thingie, that would be a good time to do a update. I'm sure there are a few more like that on other levels. It's a shame to overshadow the goodness of the game by gettign irritated when you have started the same level over the 10:th time. Especially if you play on easy. You could also limit this save help to only on easy setting and not on the other two. It does make things a bit more easy does it not? :-)

Also, balancing the sound. It's a bit hard to hear the synth voice in different places. Especially in the very first level where you walk and the green guards are saying things and at least I could hardly hear the "computer voice". The rest of the background sound was to loud.

But all of this is small things. Stuff of tweaking only. The general game is superb and it's not often I throw that word around :-)

MadJack(Posted 2007) [#125]
But at certain points you could update the profile so the player is spared some very annoying aggrevation

Yep - that is one message that's coming through loud and clear from players.

'Especially in the very first level where you walk and the green guards are saying things and at least I could hardly hear the "computer voice". The rest of the background sound was too loud.'

A polish issue - but then the guards are just repeating some looped speech and it's not really important what they're saying.

Proteus(Posted 2007) [#126]
Ah, got past the bloody maze! :-)

Now the BIG battle has just ended and it's "ROCK ON!" again :-O

Ziltch(Posted 2007) [#127]
Tank Universal Demo is on the October Australian PC User cover disk.

Good to see!

ervin(Posted 2007) [#128]
Hopefully that'll result in some more sales for this fantastic game!

MadJack(Posted 2007) [#129]
Tank Universal Demo is on the October Australian PC User cover disk

Jeez, is it? I had no idea - I got an email from the french division of futuremark publishing a month and a half ago, but I assumed that that was just for the french versions of these mags.

Thing is, I'm kind of in two minds about this as I'm starting down the path of updating the game considerably...

MadJack(Posted 2007) [#130]
Actually, how did you find that out Ziltch? Is it mentioned in the latest (September) edition that it'll be in the next month's edition?

xlsior(Posted 2014) [#131]
I apologize for the thread necromancy, but -- Looks like Tank Universal currently on sale on Steam for 90% off, leaving a whopping $0.50 :

http://store.steampowered.com/app/19200/?snr=1_7_7_204_150_1

Iowalien(Posted 2014) [#132]
I tried the demo. The game's controls are terrible.

Steve Elliott(Posted 2014) [#133]

I tried the demo. The game's controls are terrible.

No they're not...tried it for 30 seconds on your laptop and gave up did you?

MadJack(Posted 2014) [#134]
By my calculations, I'm looking to make 15 cents per sale!

Obviously I'll be able to buy that luxury yacht now ;-)

GaryV(Posted 2014) [#135]
Although you will not be making any $$ from this sale, hopefully that you are getting some exposure for your game because of the sale will make you feel warm and fuzzy inside.

MadJack(Posted 2014) [#136]
Yes - although beer seems to have the same effect.

RemiD(Posted 2014) [#137]
Madjack>>Do you say that your presence on the steam store has increased the sales of Tank Universal compared to when it was sold only on your website, or do you say that your game is lost in the stack of games ?

Also, i have not managed to find TU on the desura store, why ?
It seems to be a popular store, and well visited.

John G(Posted 2014) [#138]
By my calculations, I'm looking to make 15 cents per sale!

At least you're in sync with the Majority of independent devs!

MadJack(Posted 2014) [#139]
Do you say that your presence on the steam store has increased the sales of Tank Universal compared to when it was sold only on your website

Definitely, although we're talking 2008 when it came out on Steam so things may have changed since then.

I do worry about oversaturation of the market when Steam is greenlighting so many games and there's rumour Steam Greenlight is going to be canned in favour of further open access for anyone to put their game on Steam.

I suppose though it may be viable to sell from your own website, charge a bit more and build up a community.

Also, i have not managed to find TU on the desura store, why ?
Because I'd have to go through my publisher and I don't think they have any interest in further support. Also, I'm focused on TU2.

xlsior(Posted 2014) [#140]
I suppose though it may be viable to sell from your own website, charge a bit more and build up a community.

For most developers it probably wouldn't -- Steam can put your game in front of millions of eyeballs, your own website would generally have a hard time drawing that much attention I'd think,,,

RemiD(Posted 2014) [#141]
Madjack>>Thanks for the infos.

I have noticed that they have removed the "x players recommend this game" on each game page on the steam store.
So now, in order to evaluate the interest for/sales of a game, what can we do ?
An idea : take a look at the numbers of posts in the forum of the game.

For example :
http://steamcommunity.com/app/19200/discussions/
http://steamcommunity.com/app/207430/discussions/
http://steamcommunity.com/app/6600/discussions/
would mean that Oddball has had more sales than Madjack and Madjack has had more sales than JRankie. Not accurate, just a guess.

xlsior(Posted 2014) [#142]
Number of forum posts alone doesn't really tell you that much -- a bug-free game is likely going to have a lot less forum posts than a game that's a mess, even if they sold the same # of copies.

Also, I'd expect that a multi-player game will have more forum activity than a single player game, just due to the 'social' aspect of it.

RemiD(Posted 2014) [#143]

a bug-free game is likely going to have a lot less forum posts that a game that's a mess, even if they sold the same # of copies.

True. True.

Oh! i have not seen this the first time, but there are users reviews of each game at the bottom of each page.
So the question is : can a review be posted by any member, or only by the members who have bought the game ?
Because on the amazon store, anybody can post a review (even a fake...) sad.