blitzbasiccodebase.co.uk - new site

Community Forums/Showcase/blitzbasiccodebase.co.uk - new site

KennethMcI(Posted 2007) [#1]
visit www.blitzcodebase.co.uk and start posting your code snippets!

current features:
=================

> very fast ( on a dedicated server )
> snippets and tutorials
> snippet categories
> add/edit/remove your code snippets
> anyone can sign up
> no adverts

coming soon:
============

> search engine (standard and boolean )
> RSS feeds ( top snippets, YOUR own snippet RSS feed, newest snippets - means you can integrate the latest code into your site )
> code snippet rating
> realtime ZIP download of all snippets
> no adverts!!

coming ( but not so soon! )
===========================

> Adobe AIR desktop application for viewing/adding/editing the codebase

Possible features:
==================

> file attachments! ( depends on how many people ask - and how much bandwidth is going to be used! ( ive got 60GB per month ) )

the main aim for this site is SPEED and ease of use. Thanks...

( the last site i done like this was the DarkBasicCodeBase.co.uk - WAAAYYY back! - these sites take a while to get started, but by the end of the darkbasic one, it had just over 15k members )

Pete Carter(Posted 2007) [#2]
nice idea for a site. i don't think my code is a good example, i'm more of an modeler really, ill visit again see what gets added. could be a really handy site as finding stuff in the code archives can be long winded

Pepsi(Posted 2007) [#3]
Thats seems like a nice place for blitz3dsdk stuff. It's hard to imagine that mark/simon would put every extension for each langauge used with the sdk for the code archives here.

Once i get my website redesigned, i'll definetly add a link to your site.

Naughty Alien(Posted 2007) [#4]
..nice, I like it..

John Blackledge(Posted 2007) [#5]
Nice. I'll have dig out my snippets.

LarsG(Posted 2007) [#6]
nice idea..
but how are you gonna filter BB/B3D, B+, B3DSDK and BMax code from eachother?

ImaginaryHuman(Posted 2007) [#7]
It looks okay, but... there's no code.

Yo! Wazzup?(Posted 2007) [#8]
Just be careful when you sign up...
don't use your blitz password, you never know what this guy might be trying to pull off.

Yo! Wazzup?(Posted 2007) [#9]
I posted a third snippet made just for the site. It's not too complicated, but that won't matter once you get the site going with a bunch of snippets.

ervin(Posted 2007) [#10]
Great idea for a website - I look forward to seeing it grow.

However, the code snippets don't display properly in Firefox.
It looks as though the codebox is a fixed size, and doesn't grow to accomodate longer code.

The code just sort of spills out over the Author Comments section.

SpaceAce(Posted 2007) [#11]
I also have the problem with code running out of the box on the snippets page. I submitted a simple Hello World BlitzMax tutorial, too.

SpaceAce

Rob Farley(Posted 2007) [#12]
I think you should test your site in firefox.

Big&(Posted 2007) [#13]
As .Rob. said, the code box doesnt work too well in firefox.

Jason W.(Posted 2007) [#14]
Kenneth,

I like your site!

Thanks,

Jason

Fuller(Posted 2007) [#15]
I'm using FireFox and it's fast & smooth

Nice Job

Ked(Posted 2007) [#16]
Firefox doesn't display the code box correctly.

Pete Carter(Posted 2007) [#17]
how about a requests section for people to request examples and when a code snippet is added that answers the request the request gets removed?

KennethMcI(Posted 2007) [#18]
hi,

sorry for the delay in response - i was on holiday for a week to rhodes! ( just after i uploaded the site! )

Thanks everyone for pointing out the firefox issue - i did test in firefox, but i didnt put in a large code snippet! damn!

good idea pete (requests section), i'll add it to my todo list!!

I've now added the...

> search facility (basic search) - searches the name,description,code snippet,language and member name!

> RSS feeds for each page - e.g. you can subscribe to the latest code posted on the homepage, a category or even a search result!

I suppose the search is a bit pointless just now - but as the site grows im pretty sure it will come in useful.

I was thinking about going through the current blitz sites code snippets and adding them to the site - i know the code is 'in the public domain' but what do you think about this? i mean, i can simply them under a fake member 'code archive' or something...

wouldnt take me too long, and it would help make the site more useful at this stage...

Yo! Wazzup? - thanks for posting, and yes - feel free to use another password! always a good idea anyway - and FYI - im storing the passwords in the database as an MD5 hash - so even i cant read them!

Canardian(Posted 2007) [#19]
Syntax color coding of the source code would be also nice!

dmaz(Posted 2007) [#20]
the code is in the public domain.... that means you can do whatever you want with it. Some people just have to get over this "give me credit" thing.

Although it would be "nice" to keep the original credits and of course better for the sites image.

Raz(Posted 2007) [#21]
that's really smart, nice one :D Being able to search a codearchive is a god send!

It'd be cool if you could highlight all of the codesnippet area at the click of a button (to make copying easier). I've had a quick look into it, but selecting text within a div/pre is difficult (I can get it working in firefox and IE7, but its not a web standard, so opera doesn't support it).

Maybe if you used a textarea instead? ( http://www.plus2net.com/javascript_tutorial/textarea-onclick.php )

KennethMcI(Posted 2007) [#22]
thanks Raz, ive updated the site with the new textarea/1 click select all thing!

im going to plough through the code archives and start adding them - will just take a little time!

the next feature i will be adding is the code rating ( and a new link at the left for viewing the top-rated code )

im also going to HAVE to add ( very soon ) the file attachment facility. most of these snippets are really needing some media.

although.....

one thing that would be great would be a 'media pack' on the site - which would have say 10 textures and a few models. Then people could just 'assume' people have downloaded the shared pack and would have access to some basic textures/sounds etc...

what do you think?

Chalky(Posted 2007) [#23]
Using IE7, I cut and paste code into B3D and more often than not find several syntax errors: field types specified with "." instead of "\"; some field types not separated at all; TABs appearing in the middle of lines; lines broken with apparently missing characters...

Examples:

"Twirly special FX demo by big10p"
;
; Adds a layer to the specified, existing twirly.
; See create_star_mesh() for other params.
;
Function add_twirly_layer(twirly.twirlyT,radius#,points%,indent#,ratio%=True)

layer.twirly_layerT = New twirly_layerT
  bs = BankSize(twirlylayer_bank)
  ResizeBank twirlylayer_bank,bs+4
  PokeInt twirlylayer_bank,bs,Handle(layer)

; Create twirly layer.
  layerent = create_star_mesh(radius,points,indent,ratio)
  PositionEntity layerent,0,0,Float(twirly
um_layers)*0.001
  EntityParent layerent,twirlypiv,1

twirly
um_layers = twirly
um_layers + 1
  EntityFX layerent,1+4+8

End Function

"Tunnel Effect by Olive"
;allocate control points
For i = 0 To MAX_CTRL_POINTS
  CtrlPoints[i] = New TCtrlPoint
  CtrlPoints[i]x# = (i*260/MAX_CTRL_POINTS)
  CtrlPoints[i]y# = (i*460/MAX_CTRL_POINTS)
Next

Is this something unique to me or are other people having similar problems?

Chalky(Posted 2007) [#24]
Hmmm. Downloaded the zip file today (nice idea - hadn't noticed it before) - and found the same errors in the contained snippets, so I guess I'm not the only one who will have difficulty using them "out of the box"...

KennethMcI(Posted 2007) [#25]
damn!!

hmmm... i cut and paste the code from the code archives on this site. Ill look into this and fix it/update the snippets!

sorry folks!

alain(Posted 2007) [#26]
cool site.

I could be a nice feature to provide a way to add a screenshot for a code snippet that show the effect.

Yo! Wazzup?(Posted 2007) [#27]
Damn i think i forgot my password

t3K|Mac(Posted 2007) [#28]
please add a filter/sort button to filter/sort by language.

KennethMcI(Posted 2007) [#29]
yeah, the code was pretty messed up!

ive fixed it now ( doing a SQL insert in PHP was stripping out the backslashes! ouch! )

t3k|Mac (please add a filter/sort button to filter/sort by language. ) - ok, done! just select your language at the top of the screen and browse away!

KennethMcI(Posted 2007) [#30]
ok, trying to keep uptodate with requests ( i wont keep posting updates on this forum - just because this was requested here )

ive added two updates to the site:

1 > Comments, login and you can comment on code snippets
2 > file attachments!!

ok, so regarding number 2!

> its limited to <2Mb ZIP files. That should hopefully be enough for media related to the code snippet.

> One file per snippet

> you need to be logged in to download an attachment

the server should be pretty quick for downloads ( i get over 1MB a sec ( my rate is 2MB a sec ) )

Depending on how this goes - i might start offering a sort of 'file hosting' service for demos.... we'll see!

let me know if theres any problems..

cheers,
kenneth