Nream! 3D Adventure Maker

Community Forums/Showcase/Nream! 3D Adventure Maker

Nack(Posted 2007) [#1]
Hi all,
I am new to the forum, so nice to meet you all =]
I been developing a 3D Adventure Maker based on the style of DreamStudio from Sega because I find there aren't many 3D Maker for the PC. This is my first commerical project, hope this will take off *finger cross*
Nream! is a complete engine that allow anyone to create 3D adventure with ease. Everything is scriptable, and there are different modules to help make maps, define events, make tiles etc. Almost all aspect of the engine is scriptable, including menu, save/load menu, title screen etc. This ensure maximum flexiablity. (and yes, model are all psionic's....just place holders lol)

*UPDATE* Tech demo: (See post below for more info)

Here are some screenshots of the engine (Sorry 56k ^__^"):
[New Shots below]
Thats all for now, feel free to comment. This is my first commercial project, go easy on me =P

JustLuke(Posted 2007) [#2]
Interesting project. It shows a lot of promise. Does it only support isometric camera views?

Gabriel(Posted 2007) [#3]
Looks cool. Will you be supplying source code for people who want to modify the engine?

TheSin(Posted 2007) [#4]
i like it alot :-)

Yahfree(Posted 2007) [#5]
Looks neat, what was it written in?

Sonic(Posted 2007) [#6]
Looks promising! How far along are you?

_33(Posted 2007) [#7]
sourcecode to the editor?
:P

cheers.

TheSin(Posted 2007) [#8]
looks like blitz and blitzui i think or some other blitz gui

Nack(Posted 2007) [#9]
thanks for all the feedback =]
"Interesting project. It shows a lot of promise. Does it only support isometric camera views? "
For now, yes. I am going for style with a mix of dreamstudio and legend of heroes. but if demands for non-isometric, i will add it in.

"Looks cool. Will you be supplying source code for people who want to modify the engine? " & @_33
There will be two version for sale. One with and one without source. Source version will be bit later because i have to comment the source first.

"Looks neat, what was it written in?"
It was written in Blitz3D.

@TheSin
Yes it used BlitzUI.

Btw, i am kinda new here. I got a question, i seen some nice effects in the code archive that would benefit Nream quite a bit. Can i use those codes for commerical projects( obviously with full credits in big letters and stuff =]) ? or is there some sort of rule thingy? lol

Nack

Amon(Posted 2007) [#10]
Btw, i am kinda new here. I got a question, i seen some nice effects in the code archive that would benefit Nream quite a bit. Can i use those codes for commerical projects( obviously with full credits in big letters and stuff =]) ? or is there some sort of rule thingy? lol

Everything in the CodeArcs had been posted with the full knowledge that it will become public domain. That means anyone can use the code freely in their projects.

Unless specified I don't think you really need to provide credits but I'm sure people wouldn't mind.

Gabriel(Posted 2007) [#11]
Yep, as Amon said, it's all up for grabs in the code archives.

Good news about the with-source version. Put me down for one of those when you're ready to release because I loved DreamStudio on the DC, and this looks like a fantastic remodelling of that.

IPete2(Posted 2007) [#12]
Really excellent work Nack, I watch will watch with great interest as this develops.

Well done.

IPete2.

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2007) [#13]
This is looking promising. Nice use of Simple Tree Creator, BTW.

_33(Posted 2007) [#14]
There will be two version for sale. One with and one without source. Source version will be bit later because i have to comment the source first.

How big is the source (not including the libraries that you are using, such as BlitzUI), IE 2000 lines, 5000 lines, 10000 lines. I suggest to make sure the source is spanky clean before selling it, to avoid critics.

Does this engine and editor make games with conversation between player and bot? Do you have AI in there?

BTW, I don't think you can sell this as source since you'd have to remove BlitzUI from this, and BlitzUI is required to make your editor compile. So you'd need to provide a way to legally use BlitzUI with your sale.

Gabriel(Posted 2007) [#15]
BTW, I don't think you can sell this as source since you'd have to remove BlitzUI from this, and BlitzUI is required to make your editor compile. So you'd need to provide a way to legally use BlitzUI with your sale.

He can sell it as source, and he doesn't need a way to legally distribute BlitzUI. All he has to do is make it clear that the source only compiles if you own BlitzUI. After all, it doesn't compile unless you own Blitz3D either, so does that mean he can't sell it because some people only own BlitzMax or BlitzPlus? Of course not.

I hardly think the BlitzUI author is going to complain if a bunch of people suddenly buy BlitzUI because they want to compile this. Besides, a lot of people might want the source code just to understand it better. They may not ever want to compile it.

_33(Posted 2007) [#16]
He can sell it as source, and he doesn't need a way to legally distribute BlitzUI. All he has to do is make it clear that the source only compiles if you own BlitzUI.
I hardly think the BlitzUI author is going to complain if a bunch of people suddenly buy BlitzUI because they want to compile this. Besides, a lot of people might want the source code just to understand it better. They may not ever want to compile it.

And how can I legally use BlitzUI then if I can't seem to find a way to buy it (or even download it or the demo)?
http://www.blitzmax.com/Community/posts.php?topic=21891
From this thread, it seems like BlitzUI is an unsupported product.

Gabriel(Posted 2007) [#17]
Well given your track record on reporting any product which hasn't been discussed in a few days as an unsupported product, you'll forgive my scepticism, I hope.

Why do you need to buy it at all? The thread you've linked to says it's free.

_33(Posted 2007) [#18]
No, he is selling his RPG editor with BlitzUI which is free ;) I never said BlitzUI is not free.

I've run into similar dilemma for my own work. So you'll excuse my worries.

Gabriel(Posted 2007) [#19]
Then I'm completely at a loss to your objection.

I've run into similar dilemma for my own work. So you'll excuse my worries.

FastImage, by any chance?

Defoc8(Posted 2007) [#20]
heh..i miss all this pointless semi polite arguing :p ;)
- oh, and this project looks interesting..though not really my cup of tea..er..yeh, jst ignore me ;)

_33(Posted 2007) [#21]
FastImage, by any chance?

Yes, that sad thing! Even thoe I'm using only like 5% of it. But it's even less troublesome with FastImage, as I can just put the DLL and hide all the unused functions.

But it's still something in the back of my head, that eventually if I decide to sell / distribute my terminal system, that I'd have to note the presence of FastImage and the rights that goes with it. And from the top of my head, FastImage can be used in any project free or not, from the author's notes. But still, one has to think about this.

Nack(Posted 2007) [#22]
@Amon & Gabriel
Thx for the info, it gives more possiblies to enhance nream then!=]

@jfk
yes, its simple tree creator. and i believe u r the author rite?? feel honor, seen a lot of ur code in the code archive too. u must be the blitz3d expert around here, all those effects r amazing. I used ur sunbeam code, will show after. going to put ur name in giant letters for credit =]

@_33
will definately clean up code for sure, hence it will be delay a bit for the code is long and require lots of documentation and stuff. There isnt any AI, i dont remember any adventure/rpg game have any AI in there. Compare to like stragetgy games AI, adventure/rpg-ish games (jap style) dont have much AI. the user will have to create their own scenario and stuff. As for conversation, yes. User can script the entire cutscene with textbox and msg to be display anywhere.

secondly....dont mean to offend anyonee on the first week lol. so does that mean i CANT sell source with blitzui?? i got it from that link provided by _33. it said its freee, so i presume its public use. and i cant find any thing that said licensing on the manual. BUT if it isnt, can someone tell me where i can make it useable for commerical purpose? will gladly paid for it. If not possible i could always sell source and direct ppl to d/l blitzUI in order to run it.
Thanks for all the info and hope someone can clarify this for me. Again, sorry for causing what seemed to be a heated argument of sort.

P.S. and this fastimage you guys talk about....would taht pose a problem as well?

Nack

Gabriel(Posted 2007) [#23]
No, FastImage is a library for fast 2d drawing and you don't appear to be using it.

I don't see any reason why you couldn't distribute BlitzUI with your source, but if you're in any doubt, you could always drop Chris Fuller an email.

His email address is in his profile, and the domain seems valid: http://www.blitzmax.com/Account/showuser.php?id=956 ( I haven't quoted his email address directly because I don't want to get him picked up for any spam. )

Nack(Posted 2007) [#24]
oh thank you, ill be sure to email him to make sure

Update:
Added JFK's sunbeam effect from the archive, i think it looks pretty nice =]

nack

Nack(Posted 2007) [#25]
After polishing Nream, I made a small "Tech Demo".
Its a short game to show you what Nream is capable of. Nream is almost finish, if no more bugs are found, then i will start writing the manual and will be ready for release =]

pic of tech demo

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=6TFPVW1C
sryy for using megaupload, i have no place to put this. The demo is REALLY short and have no story line, but you get the idea of what is capable/power of nream. I just didnt have time nor energy to think of a good story and level design, this was just whip up in a matter of an hr or so.

*CONTROLS*
Esc = in game menu/Cancel Key
spacekey/enter = OK Key
E,Q = rotate cam
R,F = rise Cam

Any feedback and critism/advice will be welcome =]
ALL models are from psionic3D

Gabriel(Posted 2007) [#26]
Looks great. Unfortunately, I just finished downloading something from MegaUpload so I'll try it in 3 hours when I'm allowed to download something else. I'm itching to try it though.

WendellM(Posted 2007) [#27]
It ran fine when I tried it just now. It's a very authentic version of that game style, well done.

And I liked the "Onward Christian Soldiers"/"Joy to the World" intro/outro music, the "It's time... It's time... to become the Truth" bit, and The Epic Quest For Sunglasses. They add up to a big ball of WTF? which is also authentic for some games in that genre. ^_^

The Save/Load Game feature is a nice touch. It might have been handy to be able to zoom the camera in/out a bit (are things like that and resolution choice built-in to the system, or would you just use native Blitz3D for them?).

Nack(Posted 2007) [#28]
@Gabriel
Thx, tell me what u think when u try it=]

@WendellM
glad u like it. Yes, you can zoom cam in/out. Though, not during in game, you can set it let say in the first map and the player will see things from the new zoom position. The only thing the player can do IN GAME is rotate cam and pitch camera, but in scripts (cut scenes and such), the player can script the camera to zoom, rotate pitch etcc...

I dont allow user to zoom during game is because i want to keep close to the game style i was going for. The style is a bit of dreamstudio and hugely Legend of Heroes
(<--- this is not nream, but legend of heroes, thats the style i was going for)

Thats why zoom would only works in cutscene.......buttttt.....if ppl dislike this, i can always add it back in and let the player choose. All i have to do is uncomment a few lines ;) Resolution is also changable from the "Launcher", with window and full screen options

Gabriel(Posted 2007) [#29]
Wow, very cool demo. If the engine and tools are as flexible and easy to use as they appear, this is going to be great. One of the most exciting B3D creations I've seen. Congratulations.

SpaceAce(Posted 2007) [#30]
This looks awesome. I love it when a really cool Blitz project seems to just come out of nowhere.

The game demo seems sweet, but, for some odd reason, hitting the left control key causes the demo to instantly exit.

SpaceAce

TheSin(Posted 2007) [#31]
and getting source to will be great so we can modify it :-)

Nack(Posted 2007) [#32]
@Gabriel
Thx, glad u like it =]

@SpaceAce
thx for trying, oh, that ctrl key is my "emergency quitting button" LOL, its there in cases when scripts freeze the game during early versions. it will be taken out upon final release

@TheSin
Will release source but with massive delay for its a long....long.....long...piece of code to document LOL....pluz still waiting for reply from blitzui author =[

Glad you all like it, I am currently writing up the manual and polishing up nream. How much do you guys think I can sell this for? Not too familar with this type of market, may as well take a survey haha =]

Nack

SLotman(Posted 2007) [#33]
Too dark... couldnt see anything at all :(

Some way to set gamma correction and fullscreen/window would be nice. Also mouse controls are a must.

Nack(Posted 2007) [#34]
@slotman
interesting....i havent even touch the gamma in the game demo. Any one else having this problem? i will add mouse control if many ppl ask for it, but for now, thats would be a no, i want to keep it close to the style i am going for. and yes there is full/window support.
but about the gamma problem, weird....what is your comp spec?

Nack(Posted 2007) [#35]
must be server probelm...*double posted*

Nack(Posted 2007) [#36]
I added a demo version of Nream now. If all goes well, I should be able to sell it this week =] *finger cross*

http://www.freewebs.com/nikoasumi/index.htm

Have a look =]

Nack

_33(Posted 2007) [#37]
Nice! I wish the tools had bigger resolutions thoe, but it seems to work. The website is narrow. But you have a decent product in hand, quite complete! Congratz. Hopefully, you'll keep on improving it. Maybe add shadows, and more effects.

Cheers.

popcade(Posted 2007) [#38]
Hi, it seems I can't donwload a bit from megaupload...
would you try alternatives like ShareBig?

Nack(Posted 2007) [#39]
I added another download link, see if you can d/l it from there
Nack

popcade(Posted 2007) [#40]
To be honest, I'm VERY impressived by the demo,and 20 pounds seems to be very reasonable, I'm thinking to buy it.

A pre-decision question, if I want to use CJK/Unicode , is it possible to achive with script?

Picklesworth(Posted 2007) [#41]
This looks fantastically well done!

Some thoughts for your editing tool:

I used BlitzUI before and it's a really nice library. Easy, attractive and it has a nice tutorial if I remember rightly.
However, it is very unnecessarily slow and does not support some simple conventions like copy and paste or (if I remember right) the caps lock key.
It also tends to force you into a fixed resolution :(

Luckily, BlitzUI has a system very similar to WinBlitz3D, which is a ui library for Blitz3D that uses Windows' default user interface widgets. This means that it then supports every convention in the windows UI (copy and paste, accessible menus, custom fonts, system-wide themes to name a few), which makes it all a lot nicer. Icons for lists are a tad tricky to get going in there, but it's well worth it.
It's also a lot faster with that library, and all the windows can be detached from your editor window, allowing you to change its resolution freely without messing up the UI!

Anyhow, no need to do that right now (you can always just play with it for some day down the road), but just thought I'd plug that library having used the same ui library as you are using :)

Sorry about that shameless advertising.
This is really impressive, Nack. It is funny how many nice tools have spawned from Blitz3D. Most easy game makers out there are either 2D, completely closed off, or impossible to operate but this one (ingeniously) isn't! I can see it going far.

Nack(Posted 2007) [#42]
"A pre-decision question, if I want to use CJK/Unicode , is it possible to achive with script?"

For now no, but I am currently looking into this too. I want unicode to be possible as well. Maybe will be able in future updates/patches.

@Picklesworth
Thanks for taking an interest in my project =] And wow, winb3D looks cool. Thanks for telling me this! I never realize there was another ui lib, and window style too! I will definately be putting this in future patches. I notice the slowdown in blitzui too, if winblitz3d works well, nream getting a makeover ^^. But can I sell with winblitz3d though? I asked the blitzUI author, he said its fine even if i sell it as source code form (See a few post up for source code version). So can I do the same with winblitz3d? Just making sure before I dive head in to conversion =]

Sonic(Posted 2007) [#43]
HEHE yeah I was gonna mention the thread title being a little wrong. I didn't take offence because I realised you probably didn't know, but living in Japan I know it would be to many people. Not a nice word really. [edit: perhaps you could email the mods and ask them to alter it?]

Nack(Posted 2007) [#44]
I'll apologize to you too Sonic =]
I have emailed the webmaster, hopefully the title could be change.

*Update*
Started using winb3D. Pretty amazing, got to say.

I will fool around with this a bit more before a full scale make over lol

TheSin(Posted 2007) [#45]
See what happens when you don't visit the forums and are too busy coding, you miss stuff like winblitz3d :-)

Nack(Posted 2007) [#46]
New Map Editor, I like this new look. Have a bit of "pro" feel to it =]

Picklesworth(Posted 2007) [#47]
Nice!
I do hope those cool little icons can come back to life with this ui. They're a bit strange to work with in Winblitz, but hopefully they would work out.

It's not quite as colourful as BlitzUI is from the start, but if you attach a manifest file, it looks quite pretty :)

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2007) [#48]
Very nice work!

quote "going to put ur name in giant letters for credit"

No need to do that. Let me know when you start hiring people :)

Nack(Posted 2007) [#49]
Thanks Picklesworth, i'll take a look at that =]
@jfk
Haha np ;)

Yay make over complete. All system go! (sound like star trek XD) Nream have a major upgrade. Picture speaks a thousand words....

Nream now feature a "Map-Parent" system, maps can be child of other maps for easier management. Speed also increase 2x at least. WinGUI amazinggggg lol. Also, thanks to FastText plugin, I can now do Unicode and textwrap with easeeeeeeeeeee. You can now make games in COMPLETELY different language if you want. Scripts has been optimzed for unicode display.
Game Shots:

I also added a "Dynamic portrait" command (Above), players can make dynamic portrait similar to WC3. So user dont need to make a picture for every model (But still can if they want to =D).

I also added in some effects commands, see that bubble above the dwarf? thats an effect! Its based on 2D Framed picture. So effects can be endlesss.

Thats all for now, will be back up for sale soon. Thx for all the support =]

_33(Posted 2007) [#50]
I'm happy you're actually perfecting your offered package and adding features. Hope your tools will spawn a number of new games in the genre!

Good job.

Gabriel(Posted 2007) [#51]
Holy hell, you added that stuff in fast. Looks great too!

Nack(Posted 2007) [#52]
thank you guys =]
I added a new demo if anyone want to give it spin
Site: http://www.freewebs.com/nikoasumi/index.htm
Direct Demo Link: http://www.4shared.com/file/20674481/40133f10/NreamDEMOv11.html

Nack

Redspark(Posted 2007) [#53]
Nack this looks great! I'm going to download the demo and take it for a spin.

Foolish(Posted 2008) [#54]
I just downloaded the demo and its really impressive. I am a little fearful of the learning curve. Do you any plans for maybe a tutorial?

Nack(Posted 2008) [#55]
Hi, Do not worry about the learning curve. I tried to keep the difficulty of Nream as simple as possible. The manual is available to download and it should help with the Demo/Full version.

Manual Link: http://www.4shared.com/file/20677474/a55478be/NreamManual.html

YellBellzDotCom(Posted 2008) [#56]
I gotta say, this is a really really nice looking project here. Very well done. If I wasnt over a year into my little thing, I would buy it and use it.

Great job!