Project Studio 2007 Express now available!

Community Forums/Showcase/Project Studio 2007 Express now available!

Matthew Smith(Posted 2007) [#1]
**** UPDATE: 6 August 2007 ****
Forum is now open! http://www.projectstudioide.com/forum

Welcome to Project Studio 2007 Express, the Advanced Integrated Development Environment for Blitz3d/Basic. This IDE has been created to provide the best developer experience available and is based on Visual Studio 2005.

The express version will provide the same experience as the standard Blitz environments and has the following features:

* Advanced editor with all the features you would expect including editable color syntax highlighting, code outlining (folding), split views, line indicators, bookmarks, code snippets etc
* Full intellisense integration (the best currently available!)
* Flexible docking windows and toolbars and tabbed editing
* Integrated Blitz3d/Basic language help
* Built-in compiler
* Utilises plug-in architecture to extend the environment with more languages

The professional version will be available at a later stage (for purchase) and includes many of the advanced features you require to manage your projects:

* Solution/Project management system
* TaskLists and User Comments
* Solution Explorer

It is available for Windows 2000, XP and Vista platforms and requires Microsoft.Net 2.0.

Please post any questions here or send an email to support@....

Download now! (2.2mb) New version

Amon(Posted 2007) [#2]
Downloading very slowly.

I assume it doesn't support BlitzMax?

Matthew Smith(Posted 2007) [#3]
Amon,

Not as yet, but I am currently working on the plugin for this. The Professional version and BlitzMax plugin is currently in private beta.

I hope to release the professional version sometime in the next month. It contains most features found in VS2005 including full Solution/Project management system, TaskLists and User Comments, Solution Explorer etc.

Can you guys also give me an idea of your download speeds please.

Amon(Posted 2007) [#4]
Cool. Looking forward to it.

It's currently downloading between 2 - 5 KBs.

Matthew Smith(Posted 2007) [#5]
Ech... thought I would get better than that...

GfK(Posted 2007) [#6]
I get about 7-8k/s here. Was just testing the speed - I'll download it and have a proper look when it works with Blitzmax. :)

Matthew Smith(Posted 2007) [#7]
Thanks

Wiebo(Posted 2007) [#8]
It's an awesome ide! Well worth the download guys...

mike950(Posted 2007) [#9]
I might have to finally retire visual blitz...
This is fantastic!
Thanks!
Mike

N(Posted 2007) [#10]
Was looking forward to this, but it appears I'm going to have to go back to waiting with no BMax support. Oh well.

*Sits on his hands*

ImaginaryHuman(Posted 2007) [#11]
It looks nice but would like to see it with blitzmax and on the mac, or even better on all three platforms. :-)

John Blackledge(Posted 2007) [#12]
5.8 KB/sec. Cheers.

Daz(Posted 2007) [#13]
Hi Matt,

Looking good so far.

I have found two bugs.

The first one is selecting the Edit -> IntelliSense -> Complete Word menu option when there is no text. I get the following error

System.ApplicationException: The member list initial length must be at least one.
   at ActiproSoftware.SyntaxEditor.IntelliPromptMemberList.CompleteWord(Int32 offset, Int32 length)
   at PlugIns.Languages.BlitzBasic.BlitzBasicDynamicSyntaxLanguage.ShowIntelliPromptMemberList(SyntaxEditor syntaxEditor, Boolean completeWord)
   at PlugIns.Languages.BlitzBasic.BlitzBasicDynamicSyntaxLanguage.IntelliPromptCompleteWord(SyntaxEditor syntaxEditor)
   at ProjectStudio.Gui.TabbedDocument.Editor.DisplayWordCompletion()
   at ProjectStudio.Framework.Buttons.DisplayWordCompletion()
   at ProjectStudio.Gui.Forms.Ide.mbiIntelliSenseCompleteWord_Activate(Object sender, EventArgs e)
   at TD.SandBar.ToolbarItemBase.OnActivate()
   at TD.SandBar.ButtonItemBase.OnActivate()
   at TD.SandBar.
.(TopLevelMenuItemBase , Boolean , Boolean , Point )
   at TD.SandBar.TopLevelMenuItemBase.Show(Boolean select)
   at TD.SandBar.TopLevelMenuItemBase.Show()
   at TD.SandBar.ToolBar.OnItemPush(ToolbarItemBase item, Point position)
   at TD.SandBar.ToolBar.OnMouseDown(MouseEventArgs e)
   at TD.SandBar.MenuBar.OnMouseDown(MouseEventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmMouseDown(Message& m, MouseButtons button, Int32 clicks)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
   at TD.SandBar.ToolBar.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

So, you may want to put a check in that there is some text under the caret when selecting this menu option.

The second bug is again with the Complete Word menu option.

If I type, say, Draw and then select the Edit -> IntelliSense -> Complete Word menu option, instead of selecting an item from the list I press escape to get rid of the entries and then press Delete I get the following error:

System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
   at PlugIns.Languages.BlitzBasic.BlitzBasicDynamicSyntaxLanguage.OnSyntaxEditorKeyTyping(SyntaxEditor syntaxEditor, KeyTypingEventArgs e)
   at ActiproSoftware.SyntaxEditor.SyntaxEditor.a(EditorView A_0, Keys A_1, Char A_2, Boolean A_3)
   at ActiproSoftware.SyntaxEditor.SyntaxEditor.OnKeyDown(KeyEventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ProcessKeyEventArgs(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ProcessKeyMessage(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmKeyChar(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ScrollableControl.WndProc(Message& m)
   at ActiproSoftware.SyntaxEditor.SyntaxEditor.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

Hope that helps.

Matthew Smith(Posted 2007) [#14]
Thanks Daz - will check those out. Made some changes in this version due to some work I did for the BlitzMax plugin and didn't really test them.... sorry!

GfK(Posted 2007) [#15]
Hurry up and make it work with Blitzmax!

:)

(No srsly)

Matthew Smith(Posted 2007) [#16]
I'm trying GFK ;)

Daz - issues fixed thanks! New version available for download - see first post.

Matthew Smith(Posted 2007) [#17]
Everyone,

Ok hosting transferred - much faster download!! Just need to get the site done now.

@AngelDaniel - Windows only at this stage - perhaps MONO might be able to run it one day. Might look into it at some stage, but probably not likely with the syntax component.

clownhunter(Posted 2007) [#18]
I got about 150KBs. O_o

alain(Posted 2007) [#19]
I tried it.

It is a good start and works well.

Some features ideas:
- Popup with attribute description when typing a Blitz function
- Popup and completion for included files (for instance Sprite Candy)
- Project handling
- Icon replacement

But, I don't see any advantage over protean right now so I will stick to it for a while.

Matthew Smith(Posted 2007) [#20]
Alan,

Thanks for the comments. Some of these features will be available in the Professional version.

- Popup with attribute description when typing a Blitz function
You do get the popup tooltips selecting the item via intellisense, opening the 'function' with a bracket or hovering over the word. Of course the full keyword must be available to be identified.

- Popup and completion for included files (for instance Sprite Candy)
This will be available in the Professional version. I'm still considering the thought of treating all files currently open in the express version as a group and providing the intellisense for them all.

- Project handling
This will be available in the Professional version.

- Icon replacement
Again, may look at adding this in the Professional version as part of the project management.

TaskMaster(Posted 2007) [#21]
I keep seeing this thread marked new and opening it in anticipation of it saying that it now does BlitzMax.

Arrrggghhh....

hec(Posted 2007) [#22]
I'd like to have that for PureBasic too!

Matthew Smith(Posted 2007) [#23]
f4ktor,

I have been thinking about a plugin for PureBasic. We have v7 at work so I might take a look once the BlitzMax plugin is finished.

Matthew Smith(Posted 2007) [#24]
Hi!

Just wanted to let everyone know I'm making really good progess on the intellisense for the BlitzMax plugin. I've hooked up DocMods (in .Net) to produce some xml templates and so far the results have been very good!

Still too early on a release date, but I'm very happy with the current status.

Matthew Smith(Posted 2007) [#25]
Everyone,

Just letting you know a new release of the Blitz3d/Basic express version is now available (see link above). Fixes a couple of minor issues with the intellisense and one or two internal changes for the up-coming BlitzMax plugin.

You will need to un-install (and remove the directory) before installing this version. Note: Your settings will not be lost.

As for the BlitzMax plugin, the first main beta is currently being tested but more work is to be completed before a release but it's looking good so far!

smilertoo(Posted 2007) [#26]
i wish someone would make a good bmax IDE, b3d hardly need more.

LineOf7s(Posted 2007) [#27]
i wish someone would make a good bmax IDE, b3d hardly need more.

Despite the repeated mention of:
... for the up-coming BlitzMax plugin.

[edit] Unless of course you meant to disrespect this IDE in its own announcement thread. But I'm sure that's not the case. [/edit]

Matthew Smith(Posted 2007) [#28]
Unless of course you meant to disrespect this IDE in its own announcement thread. But I'm sure that's not the case.

Certainly no disrespect meant. The IDE will eventually have a number of plugins available. The Blitz3d/Basic plugin is just the first! I would love for everyone to use it for both Blitz3d and Blitzmax!

LineOf7s(Posted 2007) [#29]
My post edited for clarity (ie, it wasn't directed at you, Mr Smith).

TaskMaster(Posted 2007) [#30]
I don't want to see this thread at the top of the list again, until there is a post that says:

"The Blitzmax Plugin is done!".

Matthew Smith(Posted 2007) [#31]
"The Blitzmax Plugin is done!".
he he.. ;) nearly, but not quite.

@LineOf7s - no probs mate - no offence taken! I misread the question above. Anyway competition is good - I just hope mine will be better than others and will make user's coding a much better experience.

Matthew Smith(Posted 2007) [#32]
Guys,

The forum is now up and running here:
http://www.projectstudioide.com/forum

If you would like to input into the program or disuss how to use it join up!

Matthew Smith(Posted 2007) [#33]
Everyone,

On the forum I have a couple of polls going to help determine the future of Project Studio. If you would like to take part, please sign-up for the forum and make your selection.

www.projectstudioide.com/forum

Note: You will not be spammed by me as a result, just want your input!

Chalky(Posted 2007) [#34]
Hi Matt. Have tried to download several times today without success. Download gets terminated prematurely - seemingly at random: first time I tried, downloaded ZIP was 844kb, 2nd time it was 1.12MB, then 710kb... :o(

Matthew Smith(Posted 2007) [#35]
Chalky,

Thanks - have taken a look. Downloaded Ok for me, but I have replaced the file anyway. Are you behind a proxy??

Chalky(Posted 2007) [#36]
Hi Matt. I'm afraid I don't know enough about proxies to answer that. :o/

However, I have just downloaded and installed Project Studio without problems - thank you for such a quick response!! I guess (since the original file downloaded fine for you) that it must have been a problem with my broadband.

This looks excellent - roll on the BMax plugin so that I can develop in B3D and Max via a single IDE... :o)

Jerome Squalor(Posted 2007) [#37]
It's great i love it!

will you also be adding 2the gui commands?

caff_(Posted 2007) [#38]
Yep really nice IDE