Jungle Safari Match3 WIP

Community Forums/Showcase/Jungle Safari Match3 WIP

TomToad(Posted 2007) [#1]
Thought I'd take a try at creating a Match3 game. Here is what I have so far. Right now, there is no sound, no special effects, no bonuses, and no other bells and whistles. The graphics are just placeholders for now.

There is currently 3 levels to play. Just clear the bamboo squares by making matches over them. When an animal is covered by a gate, it is locked and must be first unlocked by matching it with two of the same kind.

Due to money matters, I lost my web page a couple of months ago. I uploaded this game to the free web space provided by my ISP, Unfortunately, I can't seem to get direct links to files or images so the link will take you directly to the home page. From there, you can download the game and see a couple of screen shots.

http://home.bellsouth.net/p/PWP-BlitzStuff

Edit: I have updated the program some.
- Added drag n drop
- Added some basic scoring
- Added the source code
- redid the graphics so I could distribute them with the source
- fixed some bugs, although there are still some.
- Added the level editor
Note: The level editor is a little crude. I did not write it for distribution.
The cells in the editor use bit flags.
bit
0 - 0: cell not active, 1:cell active
1 - 0: cell is clear, 1: cell is not clear
2 - 0: no freeze on cell, 1: cell frozen

in order to choose the value to go into a cell, press a number key. You could choose any number, but only 0, 1, 3, and 7 are usable.

To save your level, press S. To load a level, press L

In order to change the number of animals used in the level, just type the number in the text box and click the Set button

Edit: ok, I've uploaded the screen shots to Photobucket. So hopefully they'll work here.

Boiled Sweets(Posted 2007) [#2]
screenies?

anyhow sorry to be so negative but "not another match 3 game". Grief.

Amon(Posted 2007) [#3]
I liked it. I got to a point where I couldn't find any matches to complete certain parts of the screen. The overall basics are there so good job. :)

Any chance you can share the source? :)

puki(Posted 2007) [#4]
What's Match 3?

Grey Alien(Posted 2007) [#5]
It works. Click and drag would be nice. I found it hard to play because the shapes are similar colours and also they contain too much detail for the brain to quickly identify + match them. At some point you'll need some "no more moves" detection. Small areas (like level1) can often get no more mores occuring.

LineOf7s(Posted 2007) [#6]
screenies?

http://home.bellsouth.net/p/PWP-BlitzStuff
From there, you can download the game and see a couple of screen shots.

andy_mc(Posted 2007) [#7]
if puki's being serious... then it's this:

match 3 games are games where you need to match up a line of 3 of the same picture, then they dissappear and the shaped drop down from above. You win by matching 3 pictures over every part of the puzzle making the background of the puzzle change colour.

Boiled Sweets(Posted 2007) [#8]
Why not post some sreenies here so people don't have to go looking for them. It's quite common you know...

LineOf7s(Posted 2007) [#9]
Why post some sreenies here...?

Unfortunately, I can't seem to get direct links to files or images...

TomToad(Posted 2007) [#10]
@Grey: Click-n-drag should be easy enough to implement. Didn't even realize your games did that. The current graphics are just placeholders. I'll probably redo them with better detail at some point.
Also I'm focusing more on the engine right now than the theme. I picked a safari theme because I just happen to have a bunch of animals I could use. I might stick to the safari or might go with something else once I get the main engine down.

@Boiled Sweets: I guess one could also say, "Not another Asteroid clone", "Not another breakout clone", "Not another etc..." It seemed that a match3 would provide a bit of a challenge without being too complicated.
I also got a photobucket account, so now I have screenies on this page. :)

@Amon: I might share the source at some point once I clean it up a bit. I tried to be real good at commenting everything. I started to slack on it after 'This function loads in the images. :D
I've actually thought of doing a tutorial. Probably be done with my Beginner's BASIC tutorial, my Grey Alien's Framework tutorial, my Creating Modules tutorial, and my How to work on fifteen projects at once and never actually finish them tutorial.

Grey Alien(Posted 2007) [#11]
lol @ tutorials! Know the feeling.

Boiled Sweets(Posted 2007) [#12]
@LineOf7 - sorry a type should have read "Why not post..."

@TomToad - cool go for it. I guess it's all down to whether you want to try and be original or not. Obviously not, that's not a problem. I just see it as another Starbucks coffee house.

TomToad(Posted 2007) [#13]
Just updated my code. Link now downloads a .zip file with the source. Beware, I tried to comment the code, but you might still have problems following it.
Also, the level editor was never meant for distribution, so it is absolutely not user friendly.
Read my edited comments on the original post :)

Amon(Posted 2007) [#14]
I Like people who share their source. You're a Top Lad Mr TomToad. :)

puki(Posted 2007) [#15]
What kind of maggot would want the source to a Match 3 game?

Jerome Squalor(Posted 2007) [#16]
cool

Doggie(Posted 2013) [#17]
I realize how old this post is but does anyone still have this?
Need the codes man...(LOL)

Thanks!
DOG

Chalky(Posted 2013) [#18]
Since TomToad released the code 5 years ago I guess it's okay for me to put it here. It will be there for the next 2 days only, so if you want it - grab it quick.

Chroma(Posted 2013) [#19]
I'm probably going to snatch this up too, especially knowing how great of a coder tomtoad is.

GfK(Posted 2013) [#20]
Since TomToad released the code 5 years ago I guess it's okay for me to put it here. It will be there for the next 2 days only, so if you want it - grab it quick.
It would probably be polite to ask permission first - his email address is in his profile.

Doggie(Posted 2013) [#21]
Thank you. I only want it to learn from.
Not being a programmer it's been hard for me to wrap my mind around how
to code a match 3.

DOG

Steve Elliott(Posted 2013) [#22]

Not being a programmer

I thought this was a site for programmers.

Chalky(Posted 2013) [#23]
It would probably be polite to ask permission first - his email address is in his profile.
You're absolutely right. I could have sworn I checked his profile and found no address. I have now sent a permission request and removed the download until I have received the go ahead.

Doggie(Posted 2013) [#24]
Well, technically I guess I do fit the definition since I do write code
but...It's kind of like playing air guitar does not make one a rock star.
Chalky, I'll not pass along the code or do anything more than examine it.

DOG

Chalky(Posted 2013) [#25]
TomToad's reply to my request was "Go ahead and share it. Hopefully someone can still find it useful.:-) " - so for anyone who wants it, the link in post #18 has been reinstated.