A Fairy Tale Beta

Community Forums/Showcase/A Fairy Tale Beta

Michael Reitzenstein(Posted 2007) [#1]
We've just put the finishing touches on the latest Rock Solid Games title, A Fairy Tale. We're doing a release candidate test and we would really appreciate any feedback you might have!

The game can be downloaded from:

http://www.rocksolidgames.com/files/FairyTaleDemo.exe

The preview page is up on Rock Solid Games here.

_33(Posted 2007) [#2]
slick graphics, good job overall.

Filax(Posted 2007) [#3]
Nice graphics ! congratulation.

TartanTangerine (was Indiepath)(Posted 2007) [#4]
Damn you, I can see the missus spending another $20! I loved the game and the mechanic - my only gripe is that sometimes I had to click on squares twice or click on another square within a group to select it :(

fredborg(Posted 2007) [#5]
Nicely done. Not really my kind of game, but it's well made.

One issue I had was that the tutorial text was nearly unreadable due to (what seemed like) a mipmapping problem. Some of the button text was particularily fuzzy as well. And a few times I had to click twice on the second tile set before it connected/worked.

Apart from that it all seemed to work as expected.

Grey Alien(Posted 2007) [#6]
Ooh downloading now...

puki(Posted 2007) [#7]
Oooh, this looks cutesy.

Michael Reitzenstein(Posted 2007) [#8]
Thanks for the feedback guys. I'll look into the selection problems, I probably introduced a bug at the last minute.

Grey Alien(Posted 2007) [#9]
I didn't find any selection problem.

Anyway, great wook. Super polished and smooth throughout. Love the particle effects. Main menu is nice and I watched the high score effects several times ;-)

My 3 year old was able to play the game and he enjoyed it, so did the 6 year old. I thought it seemed pretty good. If you want a review when it's ready, let me know. Hey when is it due for release?

Will you be self-publishing this time?

Grey Alien(Posted 2007) [#10]
I know you love a good pimping:

http://www.binaryjoy.co.uk/games/games-news/a-fairy-tale-demo/

LineOf7s(Posted 2007) [#11]
Very nice. Very smooth on my humble setup.

I too had selection difficulties, regularly taking two and sometimes three clicks to select a tile.

Still, I'm sure this one will be the Next Big Thing at our house once the Gemsweeper bug wears off.

Bremer(Posted 2007) [#12]
Very polished and fun to boot. Great job.

GfK(Posted 2007) [#13]
"A Fairy Tale"?!

...I know where you can get a soundtrack for it. :D

A one, and a two, and a three.... A WHEEEERES THE SCHTART!

Srsly - looks good tho.

caff_(Posted 2007) [#14]
Looks nice again, you have a great artist.

Robert Cummings(Posted 2007) [#15]
I have no complaints, its the best realised casual game ever.
I haven't seen anything this polished. Its also interesting.

big10p(Posted 2007) [#16]
What are the system requirements needed to play this?

QuickSilva(Posted 2007) [#17]
Really nice, is this BMax? You make some stunning looking games that`s for sure :) Hope it does well for you.

Jason.

Damien Sturdy(Posted 2007) [#18]
looks nice- i'll try it later when i get home.

A WHEEEERES THE SCHTART!

LMFAO that tune's still on my desktop. It's awesome. :)

hec(Posted 2007) [#19]
Looks very polished, good work!

JazzieB(Posted 2007) [#20]
Very nicely done and polished. I haven't tested it for long, but I do have a a couple of comments.

I also experienced the problem with selection where it sometimes misses a click.

Also, under Vista, you have the 1 second delay on sound effects. OpenAL should really be the default driver under Vista. There are ways of checking which version of the OS a program is running on, but you could default to OpenAL on all systems and include the DLL with the game.

Also noticed that you store all your player profiles in the Program Files folder. It's the general opinion of folk around these forums that to ensure Vista compatibility, such data should be stored in the Common Applications Data folder. Having said that, I've not had any problems with my own tests, but others remain sceptical. I do now do this for my current projects, as it's better to be safe than sorry.

All this Vista madness has been discussed in the Win32 forums.

Apart from those observations, I really like this game, so well done.

Stevie G(Posted 2007) [#21]
Very very nice!! The 'match x' genre is not really my cup of tea but it's all very pro looking, smooth as a baby's arse and well put together.

I did have the double clicking issue.

One thing ... is it meant to be so easy? I guess it's a casual game but I played around 8-9 levels and never lost a life.

Stevie

Oddball(Posted 2007) [#22]
Looks great. Not really my kind of game though. I did notice something strange. At the end of each level when it shows your combos the highest combo was always wrong. During play I'd get a combo of 1800 points and at the end it would tell me the highest combo was 1100 points. This happened everytime, but obviously with different amounts for the scores.

degac(Posted 2007) [#23]
good job!

Grisu(Posted 2007) [#24]
- The setup is missing cute installer pics
- How about showing the comic strip "step by step" instead of displaying all sections at one time?

Who was John Galt?(Posted 2007) [#25]
Glow-tastic!

Two very minor issues:

On the map screen, the Glow around the big guy's wand in the bottom right seems to have a filled background, so you see a block around it.

If you change the music volume, then hit cancel, it doesn't return to the original volume.

Raz(Posted 2007) [#26]
wow what an awesome game, I really like the concept and the fact you can rush through it really quickly too. Im a real sucker for games with that bit of extra polish and this has loads of it, really well done!

*back to playing*

Raz(Posted 2007) [#27]
An indication as to which person is 'logged in' on the title screen would be good (imo)

Réno(Posted 2007) [#28]
Not my style of game, but the graphics are NICE ; very nice colors and pretty characters ;)

Beaker(Posted 2007) [#29]
Nicely done. One small bugette: when the startup screen came up asking for my name, I typed away (it wasn't ready) and then my name appeared backward!

Andy_A(Posted 2007) [#30]
Found a small issue. After progressing for a while, I noticed that one of the path stones was blue, so I clicked it. That took me to a tutorial level which satisfied my curiousity, but the mouse no longer responded to clicking. Had to exit the program, re-start program and resume from last achieved level.

Also had to click multi-ple times to select game pieces.

Chroma(Posted 2007) [#31]
Looks great but same as a couple others, not my cup of tea. Nonetheless, that's a humdinger! That's as polished as any game coming from the big guys. Heck, you might as well consider yourself a big guy! :)

Michael Reitzenstein(Posted 2007) [#32]
Thanks for all the great feedback guys! Plenty of bugs for me to fix.

Grey - Yep, will be self publishing this time around.

big10p - Probably around 1ghz, 256mb, intel integrated. It's a bit heavy on the 3D card, but there is a 'low def' option.

QuickSilva - Yep, BMax - wouldn't do something like this in B3D! I guess it's turing complete possible, but...

Nomen - Weird, sounds like additive blending on that one sprite isn't working. Will fix.

Grisu - You're right, it would be cool to prettify the installer. The comic strip thing, we'll probably wait until the next game for that!

Jazzie - I'll install Vista and check that out. Thanks for the tip.

Stevie - Yeah, it's meant to be this easy :) For us, consider getting silver as a life lost.

Oddball - Woah, good find.

Raz - Glad you liked it! We'll see about putting a logged in notice on the screen, but I never liked that text sitting there untidy. You're probably right though, people that use multiple profiles will need it.

rekaeB - Ouch!

Andy - Nasty, I'd better fix that one...

Chroma - Well, it depends what you mean by the same - I think that it's our own unique take on match-n, but still match-n. Would you agree with that? Thanks for the kind words.

Thanks again everyone! The feedback on this has been great.

big10p(Posted 2007) [#33]
Very nice indeed. Ran very well, even on my ageing rig. Same as some others, not really my kind of game - still, another game from Rock Solid with impressive polish and attention to detail. Whoever your artist is, don't let him go. :)

Well done!

Grey Alien(Posted 2007) [#34]
Impressive, it ran on your PC. I'll have to see if my game runs on it at some point, if you'll allow it ;-)

big10p(Posted 2007) [#35]
It'll cost ya! :P

Grey Alien(Posted 2007) [#36]
bah ;-p

taumel(Posted 2007) [#37]
I don't like the style of the characters but what i really like are the trees and how they are lit, really nice.