Lights of Dreams altmost done

Community Forums/Showcase/Lights of Dreams altmost done

Xilvan(Posted 2007) [#1]
The game Lights of Dreams : The Angelical Blade is altmost done... every corner of the solo game are now operationnal only the online version remain to do...

Screenshots...

Our Website...
www.xilvandesign.com
http://site.voila.fr/ageofdreams/accueil2.htm

The game is now available for 10$ the unit

-------

puki(Posted 2007) [#2]
Woof, woof!

Is this a sequel?

Xilvan(Posted 2007) [#3]
I've released the prequel of Lights of Dreams, Age of Dreams : Abyss of Atlantis, on download.com and xilvandesign.com for free...

LOD contain the two games in one game, AOD and LOD :D... with improved graphics, high-end effects( particle, pollen and explosion effects ), more worlds (36) and more characters to play (5)

The online version will feature 20 different types of players...

Xilvan(Posted 2007) [#4]
I'm waiting for your comments...

JustLuke(Posted 2007) [#5]
Ok, so I downloaded the demo and gave it a try.

First off, I want to say that completing a game is an achievement in itself. You should be proud of that. To be honest though, I don't think that you can justify selling Light of Dreams for $10. I'm not quite sure what to write here because my full untactful opinion might seem rather brutal, and I don't want to discourage you from making games in the future.

As I said, it's an achievement to complete a game, and I'm sure that you will continue to improve your skills in the future. Don't be too disappointed if you fail to sell any copies of this particular game. Take it as a valuable learning experience and move on to your next project!

On a more specific note, I think you should think very carefully about the theme and title of your next game. Generally speaking, games with strong christian themes, titles, or biblican references are unappealing to the average gamer.

GfK(Posted 2007) [#6]
I'm waiting for your comments...

OK. I tried downloading it last night.

You're using Sendspace to host a demo that you expect people to pay for. It took me a good few minutes to even find the download link on their page full of adverts - not good.

When the download eventually started it was downloading at a slap-in-the-face 13k/s on my 8mb connection. I cancelled it. I can't be bothered to wait 40 minutes for a demo to download. That's 40 minutes of my life I'm never going to get back.

I don't like the look of your game. So why was I downloading it? Well, to give credibility to my argument that I don't like it. I've seen more than enough screenshots of it and to be blunt, it just doesn't look very good.

Take the five screenshots above as an example. All five are way too similar, and there is sod-all happening in any one of them.

I appreciate this might not be what you want to hear, but think about it logically - if people don't even want it for free, you'll be lucky if anybody outside your immediate family pays the asking price.

xMicky(Posted 2007) [#7]
I just downloaded the demo, it took only 6-8 minutes.

It's true that the game design has a very special look, but I like it. I think anyway the point about artwork is not whether someone likes it or not, but what makes a workman an artist is his special handwriting and the special interpretation of his theme. For that I would honor that game as a piece of artwork even if I wouldn't like its visual appearing. The swift, angelic moving of the character, the style a scene changed when you enter a building and the mystical atmosphere are other elements proving originality and spirit.

What makes me a little bit helpless is the gameplay itself. I don't know what to do in this world, I flew a little bit around and found in buildings some items obviously labeled with a price, but the people in this world would not talk to me and clicking at them seems just to raise some attack move. Here I think some in-game introducing (like a newcomer is welcomed near a well known chapel by a guardsman with an exclamation mark about his head leading him without problems into the new world) would have been nice.

ervin(Posted 2007) [#8]
I downloaded it and gave it a go.

Congratulations on reaching this stage in a game's development! It's far more than I've ever been able to achieve

I must admit I quite like the look of the game.
The modelling and texturing are all of a good standard.
The premise of the game is interesting as well.

My main problems with the game lie with the camera and controls.

The camera doesn't seem to follow the character consistently. He would disappear off the bottom of the screen sometimes, and I'd have to rotate the camera, or change the camera zoom (C key I think) to fix the view.

Also, the movement is not quite right. The movement forwards and backwards, although very fast, is probably okay, but turning around is too fast, and it makes precise movement very difficult.

I think there is great potential here, and you must continue polishing it, but it's not *quite* there yet.

Xilvan(Posted 2007) [#9]
Gfk,
The game I've made is the first one and is a direct evolution of Soul of Sphere and Age of Dreams...

The Demo is free to play for a lifetime, stop critising me about that..... The new demo is supposed to work for free and Sendspace shouldnot ask me for money!

Instead of paying 70$ for a piece of crap on Wii console u pay 10$ for a great full version game plus a patch for online version wich will be included in the updates...

XMicky
I have a great news for you...
Legends of Dreams is the online version of Lights of Dreams and should be available in few months and is made by Leaedas and me it will be in a patch offered freely as soon as possible.

LOD2 will be on the making soon and should be an extension of LOD solo mission... more than 14 Worlds are in projection for a total of more than 50... More NPCs, more cities and a lifetime garenty. I will make this extension of the game FREE to the official buyers of Lights of Dreams... no additionnal charges...

The money I make with the sales of LOD will be used to buy software...

I should make a multi language patch in Spanish, Italian, German, Japanese and many other languages...

JustLuke(Posted 2007) [#10]
It seems to me that you completely ignore any comment that isn't "this game is great!" Sorry to be so blunt.

Xilvan(Posted 2007) [#11]
Why are u so jealous of my work...

JustLuke(Posted 2007) [#12]
I'm not. I appreciate the effort that goes into making games.

However, I remember you asking on a previous thread why no-one bought your games. Many people tried to explain why this was so in a tactful way, but you didn't listen. Have you noticed that very few people take the time to give you feedback any more?

Still, for what it's worth, here's some specific advice which I'm sure you will ignore:

1) Don't make Legends of Dreams. How many copies of Lights of Dreams have you sold? That's your customer base, and unless they all loved Lights of Dreams it is unlikely that they will all purchase Legends of Dreams. You need to ask yourself if enough people will purchase Legends of Dreams to make it viable. Remember, it only takes a single player to play a single player game, but an online community of players is necessary to sustain an online game.

2) Don't make Lights of Dreams 2. From what you've said about it, the plan seems to be to add more of what is already broken. The original Lights of Dreams has serious problems; before you even think about LoD2, I think that you should withdraw LoD from sale, fix the problems, rethink the game and, possibly, re-release it when it is in a better state to be sold. Or you could consider Lights of Dreams to be a valuable learning experience and apply what you've learned to an entirely new project.

3) Make less ambitious games in the future. Try making a smaller, more modest game. Pay more attention to developing tight and focused gameplay, and responsive controls, and work on your production values. God is in the details, right?

If you prefer to believe that I am jealous of you and your work then fine and good luck to you.

GfK(Posted 2007) [#13]
Instead of paying 70$ for a piece of crap on Wii console u pay 10$ for a great full version game
I wouldn't pay $70 for a Wii game. I wouldn't pay $10 for yours.

I agree with what JustLuke said. I can sit here and tell you I think its great if that's what you want to hear. Personally, I don't think I'd be doing you any favours though.

The money I make with the sales of LOD will be used to buy software...
In its current state, it won't sell.

Countless people have told you everything that's wrong with your game but you've chosen to take none of it on board. Maybe you shouldn't come here crying in the future (as you did a few weeks ago) because it hasn't sold any copies. You'll get little sympathy if you keep telling everyone else they're wrong and you're right.

People will only buy games if they're good. The end user doesn't give a toss how long its taken you.

Raz(Posted 2007) [#14]
Just tried it and it's difficult to say too much because I do not know what I am doing. The story says to find 10 spheres but that's about it really.

You give no indication as to the controls which is frustrating because as a player I do not know if it's something I am doing wrong. Should I be able to speak to the people in game? (and what exactly is the right mouse button meant to be doing?)

The movement engine is a bit crude too, it doesn't feel like I am travelling across a land (which for the record is strangely shiny) it feels more like I am just sliding along. To be honest the jumping system is plain poor as well.

The intro looks to create an epic story, but I think you need to do a better job of including the player in this.

Also a slightly irrelevant point I know, but I think you could do a much better job of appreciating the feedback people here are giving you. No disrespect but I can think of a few other forums that, if you posted your game there, you'd get loads of "Dude, this sucks!" type posts.

Xilvan(Posted 2007) [#15]
5000 people downloaded the game on download.com
450 people downloaded it on Gamershell.com

I gave the game to about 30 peoples wich found it interesting...

So before saying it dont sale well, tell me why they stole my game just to try it and let it go like junk...

I tested and reviewed the game from the beguining to the end and theres no anomalies... Legend of Dreams is altmost done and is a part of Lights of Dreams... it will usually be included in the pack...

Age of Dreams is free on my webpage www.xilvandesign.com

Naughty Alien(Posted 2007) [#16]
..no hard feelings buddy, but I didnt succeed with game start..I mean, I got something like numbers (1-5) and I have to press it, so ok I did it and wait and then I saw angel from the top and some number (3800) in center and it remain few seconds and I got back to menu with coin numbers(1-5), and all around and around...when I press ESC I was unable to go outside of that meny until I kill aplication from Task Manager..in intro, story telling text going over box border
text should be (I think) and you didnt change that even I can remember this last time I download demo..all in all..I didnt succeed with game start, but I got frustrated enough to uninstall everything...no hard feelings buddy, I wish you all best, but I dont think so that you will be able to sell this for 10$...

Buggy(Posted 2007) [#17]
Is downloading a demo really stealing? Gosh, I better watch out. I think I see the fuzz!

Xilvan(Posted 2007) [#18]
If the game go wrong it because of ur lack of something in ur computer... it works 90% of the time.

GfK(Posted 2007) [#19]
5,450 downloads means nothing.

Giving a game to 30 people and them finding it 'interesting' doesn't mean they'll pay money for it. Also doesn't necessarily mean they like it. I find Robert Mugabe's rule of Zimbabwe 'interesting' but that doesn't mean I want to go for beer and a kebab with him.

I can't be bothered with this game any more, anyhow. You aren't listening to a damn word anybody is saying to you, so carry on and learn for yourself what people are trying to tell you - lessons which many of us have already learned.

If the game go wrong it because of ur lack of something in ur computer... it works 90% of the time.
Your customer support needs work. As does your game if it only works on nine out of ten PCs. o.O

Xilvan(Posted 2007) [#20]
Just try making better games than me and things will change... I thinks its impossible cause I have TONS of competances that can make silly programmer like u turn around with no game in hand...

caff_(Posted 2007) [#21]
As they say - If you haven't got anything nice to say, then don't say it.

So, here's my review:

Xilvan(Posted 2007) [#22]
Gfk just have to stop being pessimistic... The game is not poor and is one of the niciest on the blitz market...

GfK(Posted 2007) [#23]
Gfk just have to stop being pessimistic... The game is not poor and is one of the niciest on the blitz market...
I'm being realistic, not pessimistic. You seriously think this looks better than Platypus, Bestfriends, Inca Quest, Wizard of Oz, Maggie the Gardener, or countless others I could list if I could be bothered?

Just try making better games than me and things will change... I thinks its impossible cause I have TONS of competances that can make silly programmer like u turn around with no game in hand...
Are you trying to draw me into a fight?

I'm 32 years old. I've been writing games for 21 of those years. I've been screwed over by many publishers in the past and learned ALL my lessons the hard way. I didn't have anybody to point me in the right direction.

Other people that have replied have similar experience, so before you start telling everybody they all suck and that you're some sort of game-making genius, you should stop to think about the kind of people you might be talking to?

Perhaps if you got your head out of your behind for five minutes to actually listen to people, then you might be doing a lot better than you currently are.

Yeah, you've made me 'turn around with no game in hand' alright. I'm turning around, walking away, and not buying your game. And on that note, I'll leave you to your own devices. Good luck.

Xilvan(Posted 2007) [#24]
Ur making easy to program games... short games... stupid games.... even Soul of Sphere is harder to program than ur better game made in blitz... or any other language...

I do program games since 1993 and I'm 25

My HUGE game is sold only 10$ and urs is sold 19.95$

GfK(Posted 2007) [#25]
I LOVE THIS GAME! PHWOAR!!!!

LOOK AT THOSE PARTICLES!!! AND TREES! ZOMGWTF THERE ARE SOME WATERS TOO!

THE ANIMATION IS SO LIFELIKE IT ARE GREAT!!! \o/

NEVER HAVE I SEEN SUCH GAMEPLAYS! IT ARE WIN!!

Now excuse me, I got so excited over your game I need a change of underwear.

Happy now?

andy_mc(Posted 2007) [#26]
it doesn't matter how big your game is. What matters is whether people enjoy playing it.

If your demo get's downloaded 10,000 times but no one buys it then this means no one wants to buy it. It does not mean that they are all wrong, it means you are wrong.

Please accept this fact. Just because a game takes a long time to write, doies not mean it's better than a game that takes a short time to write. Look at tetris compared to quake 4. Tetris sold many many more copies because it was simple and easy to grasp.

IMHO, I played a demo of your game about six months ago and found it completly unplayable. It was far too fast and seemed to have very little interesting content. Yes it looked pretty good, but the gameplay was terrible and this in the end is what spoiled it for me.

you can write good games, no one's denying that, but please stop blaming people if they don't like your game, "suck it up" and fix it.

Amon(Posted 2007) [#27]

Yes, and I bet GFK has sold more of his game at $19.99 then you have of yours at $10.00.

MikeHart(Posted 2007) [#28]
I wouldn't pay 10$ for it. Graphics are to similar and to simple. It is not appealing to me. Plus I don't like the way you react on suggestions. I wonder how you deal with customers (people who would actually pay) when they give critics. Poor people I guess.

Xilvan(Posted 2007) [#29]
:D The problem is that I've been rejected from one french forum some months ago... Cause they plagued me...

Now I'm surfing on english site and I find all the best game forgotten in time... there was better game before...

I will present you all my games in blitz... in a worklog...

Who could like a word game more than a delightful adventure game

GfK(Posted 2007) [#30]
I wonder how you deal with customers (people who would actually pay) when they give critics.

Probably something like this:

(and yes, that's actually a quote)

big10p(Posted 2007) [#31]
I wouldn't bother anymore, folks - just let him learn his lesson the hard way through (lack of) sales. If people don't find a game fun, they won't play it even if it's free, let alone pay for it.

Xilvan(Posted 2007) [#32]
I wonder how you deal with customers (people who would actually pay) when they give critics.

Probably something like this:

Before buying the game I think they should test it...

GfK(Posted 2007) [#33]
Before buying the game I think they should test it...
I absolutely agree.

Naughty Alien(Posted 2007) [#34]
Xilvan..we are here all blitzers, so I assume that everyone whos giving critics its something good for you and something you should listen...personally I would like to see every blitzer here succeed, becouse its encouraging other to do their eventual work on good way and develop more useful add ons for our lovely blitz...main reason for me why I am here even I have almost all engines out there in range of 1500US$ is this forum and quite objective folks here whos VERY supportive...so, try to listen becouse non of this critics is against you..if you listen them it will be something what can make your game looking well polished...if not, you can leave it like it is now, but I think buddy it will not be good for selling as you want it...use this forum properly since here you can get a lot of folks who can test your game with realistic complaining...and thats gooooood...

Grey Alien(Posted 2007) [#35]
This thread is great! :-D

IPete2(Posted 2007) [#36]
In my opinion, the enjoyment of games is totally subjective. Some people like word games others like puzzles, other adventure, fps, shoot em ups, rpgs etc.

But there are people who are hard core gamers, like many of which you will find here, these are probably not your marketplace for your game Xilvan. What may be a good idea is to find a place where people have a less forceful view of gaming and gameplay, and let them see your game. I am sure their response will be more encouraging.

People who have never really played games before or with little experience may find your game a really great experience, but it's unlikely hard core gamers will, (they can be quite harsh with their opinions because they too make games or try to and know the processes).

The incredible thing is that you have managed to create something and finish it - I would think that most people on these forums who try to create a game fail, because that last 10-15% is very very difficult to endure.

- because of that I say "Well done!" I think a couple of people above are being encouraging too and so they should - this is a community.

On the sales front, if people don't want to buy it - then fine, notch it down to experience, try to learn from it and move onto the next project... and good luck with it.

Whatever you do dont waste your time arguing with people, take the best advice as 'wages' enough and move forwards.

IPete2.

Grey Alien(Posted 2007) [#37]
Totally EXCELLENT advice from IPete2!

Xilvan(Posted 2007) [#38]
I prefer hearing of positivism but we still need to enhence the game...

As it is for now I will add more than a month of enhancing to my game before the release... It will be awesome...

I thing to add the angelical blade's tunning and character saving plot... ice, fire, explode, electric effects on ennemies using wands and maybe more characters...
It will takes me a month...

Thanks for the advice... :D

ImaginaryHuman(Posted 2007) [#39]
Xilvan, I think the issue many people would have with your game is that even when looking at the many many screenshots on your website, there are really none that look exciting or interesting. I don't mean this to sound like an attack, but you posted 5 screenshots at the top of this thread and they all really look the same.

I think possibly that these games you are creating are the type of games that you really like and have put your heart and soul into, but at the same time they are quite specific and it seems as though you haven't really grasped how they look or play to other people.

If you are thinking there are significant differences between those five screenshots or that you're showing features that are `a big thing` to make them stand out, your sense of perspective is off and you've given too much credence to each of them. You have to step back and look at the bigger picture. At the moment your screenshots show some trees, some pillars and an altar thing. If this implies that these are the most exciting things in the game it really doesn't give a strong message as to how interesting the game is.

Each time that you've posted a new shot in the gallery pages, it strikes me every time as looking lifeless and unanimated. You have trees but you have what looks like absolutely no other vegetation - the ground looks much too bare. The characters look like they are stone statues as if you took a model from a 3d app and just inserted it into the landscape. It doesn't really give the impression that anything is really `happening`. It almost makes your game look like it's just a 3d model that you can browse around looking at, and gives very little clue as to any kind of atmosphere or gameplay or interactivity. I think people are picking up on that and hopefully it's not just me.

There is just something strangely lifeless about it at the moment, regardless of whether you've added particle effects. I'm sure you're proud of it and it's a great achievement for you but it isn't coming across to other people that it's something that they would also be excited about.

Maybe posting a new movie would help so we can see some things happening and moving about. At the moment it just looks like there is nothing going on and therefore there is very little way for the viewer to get `into` what they're looking at. They can't say `hey I want to be a part of THAT!` because there's so little if anything in the images that shows that there's anything to be part OF.

Graphically you also have no shadows, from what I can tell, and at night there should be a lot of shadows. I think your style has a sort of `dreamy` or dream-like quality but at the same time it doesn't feel like something you can interact with.

Your display is also a little bare seeming. You have no HUD, there is no symbolism to represent that you have a certain energy level or have picked up certain objects or that you've interacted with the world in any way. Icons/symbols represent your successes and failures and what you've learned on your travels. Maybe you intended that but it detracts from making it seem like a game. It almost looks more like a screensaver or a very passive `technical demo` that someone would just watch and not interact with.

Most of your shots are showing landscapes but almost no life forms but for one or two lifeless-looking statuesque characters. They stand with no animation to them whatsoever, looking as stiff as a board. You have to convey that they are alive otherwise you aren't suceeding in your animation and storytelling. At this point is doesn't look fun to play and it's hard to even figure out what kind of a game it is or what you actually do. You need to give the player and us criticizers some more obvious clues. If it is not meant to be an action game then you need to make that much clearer.

I'm glad you've taken all the time you have to put this together and I'm sure you are pleased with it and have high hopes for it, and I'm no hardcore gamer, but at the moment I wouldn't even consider buying this the way it is. Some other people probably would differ and think it is great. I just don't think it has `mass appeal` at this point.

Xilvan(Posted 2007) [#40]
I'm subjuged... theres particles, monsters, explosion and disparition effects, NPCs, Temples, Spheres, Elements, Parchement, puzzles, bosses, day/night etc... Theres many way to interact with the environment and its fun and vast to explore... Try the demo... Its simply amazing ! ;)

Gabriel(Posted 2007) [#41]
I'm gonna have to play this now.

Xilvan(Posted 2007) [#42]
I was kidding when I was saying that the ones who try the demo was stoolers... Its there to get an idea !

Link to a video of LOD
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zg8miJl6UP0

Hey Gabriel... Can I submit my game for 29.95 ? Then how I can do ?

ImaginaryHuman(Posted 2007) [#43]
Your video is actually a better advertisment than your screenshots. But I still think you need more things going on.

Picklesworth(Posted 2007) [#44]
It is the animations.
Your resting pose is too rigid looking; like the feet are locked together.
The characters walking appear detached from the world, as the walk cycle is not synchronized with the speed at which they slide across the ground.
NPCs do not appear to animate much. How about have them walking while idle?
More animations beyond feet walking would be great. Those wings look like they should flap!
I think animations play a huge role in interaction, as well. There doesn't need to be an "interact" button, but subtle touches with the animation that occur at specific intervals (NPCs waving at you?) could go a long way.

I do really like the idea behind your artwork, and in action you definitely catch the dreamy effect (could be with more graphical bang, but it's completely reasonable), and that music in your video is excellent. Animations look like the one weak point!
My suggestion (though I have definitely not tried this myself), is to come up with a system so you can easily add subtle animations that occur on various conditions, then give yourself a good bit of time just adding movement to liven this up.

Gabriel(Posted 2007) [#45]
Hey Gabriel... Can I submit my game for 29.95 ? Then how I can do ?

In order to submit your game to download sites, you need a real download. That is a direct link to the game on a website, not a link to SendSpace, RapidShare or something like that.

Assuming you can arrange that, you can submit your game for free if you don't mind creating the PAD file yourself. Once you've got a direct download for the game, send me an email to sybixsus@... and I'll give you the information you need to create yourself a PAD file. Once you've created it, I'll run the submission at no charge.

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2007) [#46]
If a game's artwork doesn't has the professional class of tripple A releases then this doesn't neccessarily mean you can't sell it.
At the other hand without a good seller you probably even won't be able to sell a super game in remarkable quantities.

GfK sounded a little harsh to me (like "40 minutes", sounds like an exaggeration, something I didn't like in my thread neighter)
Xilvian probably also has this little "loss of reality" syndrom when it comes to self critism (as we all have more or less).
He probably should see it this way: it's not the best game in the world, but it's also not as bad as the bs some companies sell day for day.

agent4125(Posted 2007) [#47]
"theres particles, monsters, explosion and disparition effects, NPCs, Temples, Spheres, Elements, Parchement, puzzles, bosses, day/night etc..."

Show these things in the screenshots! You only get a few seconds to convince people to try the demo.

Think like a good photographer: take 100 screenshots with different angles, zooms, subjects, etc. Then use *only* the very best 3 or 4 images.

Also, you need a dedicated webhost. They are so cheap nowadays, there's no reason not to. The first thing I saw when I went to your site was a HUGE ad that covered the entire page. That's enough to scare a lot of people away. I clicked on your top screenshot and it gave me some message in French. The links to the demo are small grey text on white... very easy to miss. All of these little things add up to missed opportunities.

The other reason to get a webhost is so you can look at your logs. These will probably tell you that only 1 in 10 people that visit your site actually download the demo. Once you know that ratio, you can make improvements and measure the results.

Grey Alien(Posted 2007) [#48]
Yeah I gotta agree about the screenshot issue. And yeah get a website, come on domain names are really cheap and webspace costs peanuts.

Liberator(Posted 2007) [#49]
Having just read this fantastic thread I have made a small synopsis of what was said.

Xilvan - Check out my new awesome amazing game!

Xilvan - Anyone?

Responders - Good job on getting so far! But the game has some problems. It's not quite done yet.

Xilvan - You're just jealous I'm an amazing game programmer and you're not.

Reponders - Oook...that was uncalled for...No, we are just trying to say you're game needs a bit more work. It's not quite worth the asking price yet. We are just trying to help.

Xilvan - Your games suck. My game is better than a crappy Wii game and mine is only $10.

Responders - You don't need to attack us man. You asked for our opinions we are giving them.

Xilvan - Your a big stupid poopy head!

Responders - Awesome man. Good luck with your game.

Xilvan - Why does no one say anything positive about my amazing game??

LOL priceless!

Ked(Posted 2007) [#50]
Having just read this fantastic thread I have made a small synopsis of what was said.

I think that rhymed.

ALSO:
I would like to say that it would probably be better if you just keep adding on to the first one and maybe get it better and better then maybe start working on a second one and do the same thing. I haven't watched the vid but the screenies look good. I wouldn't download this only because the models look simple. But don't get me wrong, its better than what I'd do. I would have trouble modeling a cube even if it came with tutorials and help facts and ect. (but nowadays you can just click "cube" in the menus and it pops out on the grid)

Buggy(Posted 2007) [#51]
In the vid, it looks like movement is too fast. Not at all realistic.

I have many other comments, but for now let's just keep it at that and see if I wake up tomorrow.

Loktar(Posted 2007) [#52]
I can understand being upset at critisism after working so long and hard at a game but you really need to take that and turn it around and fix the problems... just beating a dead horse I suppose.

Also I can spot the castle code that comes with Blitz a mile away that your using for the camera and jumping...

Buggy(Posted 2007) [#53]
Beating a dead horse? Now there's a good game idea. Of course, if it isn't banned, that is...

Xilvan(Posted 2007) [#54]
I simply started the project with castle code and removed everything that was useless and added my own...

Xilvan(Posted 2007) [#55]
A new demo is available

Michael Reitzenstein(Posted 2007) [#56]
I tried it... I couldn't really figure out what to do. I couldn't figure out how to get it to run in >640x480 (the options screen timer ticked down in about a second and it wouldn't save out the config or something). How do you attack, and how do you talk to people?

Also the game seemed to run way too fast - you could run across the map in seconds.

I think you've got a good sense of style - the day/night transitions were a nice touch, for instance. I think you're going about it the wrong way, trying to sell it this early - if you set up a site with the current version for free, try to get feedback, open the game up for user modification, you'll get a community built up as you work on these more and more and get better and better at it. I don't see how it's going to sell any copies the way it is now, but in a year or two of constant improvement and community involvement, you'll have something pretty cool built up.

Chroma(Posted 2007) [#57]
I hate it when threads like this elude me...

Now...Xilvan...

First of all, it's no one's fault but your own if your game doesn't sell. You created the storyline, programmed it, put in all the effects etc etc. So your bashing on people here and being an arse is totally uncalled for. Take responsibility and stop ripping into people when they give you feedback. Cuz I'm about to give you some...

I don't like the game. It's very basic and uninspiring. The game lacks depth. The animations are horrible. The player controls are unintuitive. I could only bear playing it for a few minutes. You HAVE to be able to notice stuff like this in your own work. You KNOW when something sucks. Don't leave it like that. Keep working on it till it doesn't suck. The whole game looks like something that came out in the mid 90s. You said it's the castle game heavily modified. Now that you mention it, that's exactly what it is.

Your customers aren't here on the blitz forums. We're all developers. It's hard to sell indie games to indie developers in general. Your audience is...well I don't know where it is to be honest. Atm, based on the screenshots and the reviews I've seen, the audience doesn't exist atm.

Sorry to jump your azz but I think you're acting like an idiot and jumping down everyone's throat out of frustration. The game isn't good man. Keep working on it and eventually it may be good. I assure you that NO ONE here is jealous of your game. I am 100% sure of that.

Final advice: redo the character models and animations. If you're the one that did them then get someone else to do them cuz they're not good. Fix the timing issue. Put some color in the game. Just do...something to it....anything...You did all these different pieces but instead of really making them good, you just went "well that looks ok"...and moved on to the next part. It's all rushed...and it looks that way too.

But...stop bitching for people to buy your game so you can buy software. It sounds like you're looking for a handout. If your game was as great as you claim, you wouldn't be begging for people to buy it...

Xilvan(Posted 2007) [#58]
The game will still be in developpement for 1 month...

I will add 14 levels full of characters and huge temples... it will makes 50 levels...

My game gonna be presented on BigFishGames

Naughty Alien(Posted 2007) [#59]
...oh boy..your are really not listening..do you?

Ked(Posted 2007) [#60]
New demo reviewed:
www.sendspace.com/file/1l3frt

That page doesn't have a review on it.

TheSin(Posted 2007) [#61]
From what i've seen of this, you have put alot of effort in. However, and it is a big 'however', effort alone does not a good game make.
The demo is very poor, bad controls, bland, uninspiring...etc.
You should take what everyone has said and use it to improve your game/engine, then again from your replies i expect that won't be the case.

ps if you don't like critcism then dont post something and expect everyone to praise it as perfect.

Xilvan(Posted 2007) [#62]
Its not a review of the game its the CORRECTION of the game... The game evolve but the critize dont it getting whorser and badder...

I'm working with 7 people for making it and its like my effort is in vain... like if to have a good game u must be Jfk, chroma, theSin... Or Mark Silby

GfK(Posted 2007) [#63]
I love this thread! :D

big10p(Posted 2007) [#64]
Has anyone seen my car keys? I think I may have dropped them in here, somewhere.

Gabriel(Posted 2007) [#65]
I haven't played any previous versions, but I don't see what has evolved. It plays very, very fast - too fast to control. The controls are very twitchy. I have no idea where I'm supposed to go or what I'm supposed to do. There's a womean in front of me who says I should be prepared to speak to the chief, but when I go into the building she's guarding, it's a shop, and no sign of the chief. Most of the other people I can't talk to ( I'm assuming M is the talk key ) and then there's just a huge world to run or fly around but nothing really to do.

Instead of adding another fifteen levels every time someone criticizes the game, why not fix the problem they had? If you had it running at a decent speed on all machines, with a tutorial, better controls, etc, it would would be far more benefit than another fifteen levels no one can get to.

I like the graphics and it definitely as a consistent style throughout, but the general criticisms about controls, speed and not knowing what to do are ruining it for people.

Xilvan(Posted 2007) [#66]
I dont know why you are not using the path between the Potion shop and Library... The huge building which light up the city throught night... talk to the chief and learn ur mission... :D Thats pretty simple !

I love this thread too cause I'm gaining popularity and people makes me review my game before starting another much better game... Cristal of Dreams : The Soul of Sphere

Ked(Posted 2007) [#67]
...Cristal of Dreams : The Soul of Sphere...

Xilvan... tsk, tsk, tsk. It's getting to the point where you're getting arrogant.
I love this thread too cause I'm gaining popularity...

Not the good kind of popularity.
...Mark Silby...

I just thought I'd throw this in there for the heck of it.
The game evolve...

uh...

Gabriel(Posted 2007) [#68]
I dont know why you are not using the path between the Potion shop and Library... The huge building which light up the city throught night... talk to the chief and learn ur mission... :D Thats pretty simple !

Ok, I'll give it another go later.

JustLuke(Posted 2007) [#69]
I love this thread too cause I'm gaining popularity...

Not popularity, Xilvan. Infamy.

Ked(Posted 2007) [#70]
[sarcasm]Thanks, JustLuke[/sarcasm]

=)

GfK(Posted 2007) [#71]
Infamy! Infamy! They've all got it in for me!

Buggy(Posted 2007) [#72]
Clever pun.

GfK(Posted 2007) [#73]
I stole it from Kenneth Williams.

Xilvan(Posted 2007) [#74]
Oh yea u guys are jealous that I've got copyright for LOD and I will get money from the detail sales...

I prefer not selling it to you and getting banished from this crappy forum where nobody can do better than me...

MadJack(Posted 2007) [#75]
'Two vast and trunkless legs of stone
Stand in the desert ...
Near them, on the sand, Half sunk, a shattered visage lies, whose frown,
And wrinkled lip, and sneer of cold command,
Tell that its sculptor well those passions read
Which yet survive, stamped on these lifeless things,
The hand that mocked them, and the heart that fed:
And on the pedestal these words appear:
"My name is Xilvan, king of kings:
Look on my works ye mighty and despair!"
Nothing beside remains. Round the decay
Of that colossal wreck, boundless and bare
The lone and level sands stretch far away.'

Yahfree(Posted 2007) [#76]
I'm not trying to be rude here, but why are you trying to act all high and mighty towards everyone.

"from this crappy forum where nobody can do better than me..."

This is the best programming community i'v seen, and no offense, but your not the best out there, everyone here is just giving you advice from a players point of view to make your game better, we're not saying it completly sucks, just giving you idea to make it better.

yet you completely throw it out of whack and basicly tell everyone that their jealous, your the best, your game is the best in the world, and that this community sucks.

My advice is that if you don't want feedback or advice don't post here.

besides that, the game looks great, keep it up!

Naughty Alien(Posted 2007) [#77]
>>from this crappy forum where nobody can do better than me...<<

..well Xilvan..I'll be very careful with such expressions...of course its just suggestion wich I am not sure will you take it or not..

..also it is interesting to read that comment from man who use to COPY/PASTE simple things such a movement from Castle demo..

DarkMere(Posted 2007) [#78]
Give it up gents, I have a stone gnome in my garden that would be more receptive to comments than Xilvan.

You know Xilvan, I have written a few programs in my time, been proud of them too. Being proud of them is part of the driving force to improve them. I really cannot understand your stance. I think you have the basis of a great game, I think it needs so much more work to bring it up to a level where it could be sold, and not remain as just your 'own baby' on your computer that you are proud of.

You have been given so many good opinions and pointers here because people would really like to see you produce that 'special game'. They are not jealous, they want to see a good game do well. But then, if you are Mr perfect the perfect computer programmer, then its true, you don't need any comments, good or bad.

Oh well, I have just fallen into the same trap and posted my thoughts. I will just go and chat to my gnome now.

Réno(Posted 2007) [#79]
[french]
Salut Xilvan.

Je ne sais pas si tu es sérieux ou pas avec tes propos arrogants. Un petit conseil perso : tu ne peux pas prétendre faire un jeu "grand public" et le vendre à grande échelle si ce même jeu est plutôt inqualifiable, avec des graphismes et une interface originaux.

Les gens ici te donnent des conseils. A toi de les prendre en considération ou pas, mais ne deviens pas insultant et agressif comme ça ; ça ne te servira à rien :(

Je n'aime pas les jeux en 3D, mais cependant je dois avouer que les graphismes de LOD sont très artistiques, et je trouve même ce côté "rigide" des personnages plutôt attachant. A toi de trouver au début de l'histoire, comment expliquer simplement comment se joue LOD et quel est le but de l'histoire.

a+
[/french]

JustLuke(Posted 2007) [#80]
EDIT: Never mind. :)

GfK(Posted 2007) [#81]
Oh yea u guys are jealous that I've got copyright for LOD
Not really... I think we all know about Chr$(169) (©) too.

Reno said a mouthful. A French mouthful, but he's right. You're arrogant beyond comprehension.

Stop sounding off while you've any ounce of credibility left.

Add as many levels as you like, try to sell your game, but stop bitching at people who are trying to help you with advice.

Good luck - you're going to need it.

TheSin(Posted 2007) [#82]
shouldn't you listen to potential customers, right?

CyBeRGoth(Posted 2007) [#83]
Wow i've just read this thread, played the 'game' and really i have to say your belief that this is the best thing ever, and no one has or can create anything as good is bewildering.

Most of us were creating games far better than this more than 5 years ago when we were testing the BlitzBasic3D beta, it is just not good, im sorry.

The controls just dont work, the speed you move is way too fast, the interaction isnt there and there is no gameplay to speak of, you really should listen to what people say about your game and try and improve it, as it stands no one would play it for free, so no one will buy it for money.

It seems like you have never played a 3d game before as you keep ignoring the fundamental things people keep telling you about the control, camera etc.

Take the advice of people who actually bother to give you constructive critisim, trust me they are not jealous, quite the opposite.

Xilvan(Posted 2007) [#84]
Sorry but it seems that you never played that game before you just trying to persuade me to tweek a game that is aready fine...

Games like this was impossible to make 5 years ago good or not... and most of you are now making 2D games a new fashion and rediculising 3D games that have potential... I'm very upset !

Instead of being encouraging its discouraging... I'll be programming Soul of Sphere just to make you feel my 2D wrath...

Amon(Posted 2007) [#85]
Hahahahahahaha!

smilertoo(Posted 2007) [#86]
I think this game is super, you go for it.

GfK(Posted 2007) [#87]
Games like this was impossible to make 5 years ago
Oh.... so its better than Doom, is it? o.O

And you openly said further up this thread that you stole it from Mark's castle demo anyway. Which is.... ooh.... five and a half years old?

Xilvan(Posted 2007) [#88]
Do I have to explain that I did not know nothing about 3d so I took a sample and studiing 3d with castle and other samples... I took only the camera and basic movement... all the other things were made by me...

kfprimm(Posted 2007) [#89]
Games like this was impossible to make 5 years ago good or not

Xilvan, you need to look here. Even some of the things from 3 years ago look better (and play better) than Lights of Dreams. No offense intended by that but you need to pay attention to the great and helpful advice some of these people are offering you and then apply it to your game. I guarantee that you will sell many copies (which is what you want) if you listen to the critics that know what they are talking about.

Xilvan(Posted 2007) [#90]
If the critics are sophistic I cant make my game better.... those are not helpful... I've reviewed the game many times and compared them to many games and remember that most of those games were incomplete...

kfprimm(Posted 2007) [#91]
They are only not helpful because you make them unhelpful in your mind. Open up your mind and accept that your game is not all that good. However, a few changes can fix that and you can make your game a great game.

Ked(Posted 2007) [#92]
I've reviewed the game many times...

Well, thats not going to make it better since you already think its the most radical thing out there. You need to let other people tell you THEIR reviews of the game! How about stop blocking out other people's comments/reviews/criticism/whatever!!!

kfprimm(Posted 2007) [#93]
I believe by "reviewed", he means "revised." Though, I see little revision.

TheSin(Posted 2007) [#94]
the stuff i do, or have done in blitz knock the pants of this but with time, like you said, you haven't done 3d before, you will improve.

Xilvan(Posted 2007) [#95]
Anyway I keep 3 months for revising the game again and again to please my potential client...

Maybe the game will be free for the blitz communauty.

I hope at least you all are counting on me to make the most innovative game for blitz.

This game will prove that blitz is not bad and I hope you will appreciate it...

TheSin(Posted 2007) [#96]
This game proves nothing about blitz that hasn't been shown, there is clearly nothing innovative about this.

EDIT:
You should check out alot of other stuff that has been done with blitz3d, compare it with your work and then see if you still think doesn't have any problems.

Ok, im gonna be positive, i hope you take everything into account that has been said, get the game mechanics sorted and prove us all wrong. I love rpg style games so i always look forward to them.

ps Just gonna say this though, i have seen some great blitz3d projects, yet unreleased, that are AAA - great mechanics, graphics, polish etc and this really doesn't even come close.
You just keeping learning, improving and listening, hopefully one day, with the effort you've shown, you too can bring a great quality game.

kfprimm(Posted 2007) [#97]
TheSin, notice he used the future tense.

Xilvan(Posted 2007) [#98]
I'm gonna apply all suggestions ahead... remake some maps... making more NPCS...

John Blackledge(Posted 2007) [#99]
Xilvan "remake some maps... making more NPCS..." - this was not actually what was suggested.

To everyone, please let's keep this thread going - it's been my main source of entertainment this last week. I particularly liked "This game will prove that blitz is not bad" (!)

TheSin(Posted 2007) [#100]
I think thats good Xilvan. Also look i the code archives for better 3rd person control which will make a difference to your game.

Xilvan(Posted 2007) [#101]
The controls will be revised and the camera too... it will be smoother... but I need Ashadow to make cubemap...

Chroma(Posted 2007) [#102]
I've thought about this for quite awhile. And my conclusion is...

Start all over.

Xilvan(Posted 2007) [#103]
I have programmed some mouse control which is better than before... The next step will be to drag and drop the character over the terrain or water to move it... I hope this will work...

plash(Posted 2007) [#104]
@Xilvan,

I have been led to believe that you are no where near the age of 25, due to lack of common grammar and immaturity.

As for bashing the community, you shouldn't take everything so negative, some people here mean to help you.

Xilvan(Posted 2007) [#105]
I've problem of common english grammar caus I'm french...

I'm not bashing the community I'm just wanting them to like my game... It is so simple to accept...

GfK(Posted 2007) [#106]
I'm not bashing the community

Oh. Maybe I misunderstood a few comments, then:

The Demo is free to play for a lifetime, stop critising me about that.....

Why are u so jealous of my work...

5000 people downloaded the game on download.com
450 people downloaded it on Gamershell.com

I gave the game to about 30 peoples wich found it interesting...

So before saying it dont sale well, tell me why they stole my game just to try it and let it go like junk...

Ur making easy to program games... short games... stupid games.... even Soul of Sphere is harder to program than ur better game made in blitz... or any other language...

Oh yea u guys are jealous that I've got copyright for LOD and I will get money from the detail sales...

I prefer not selling it to you and getting banished from this crappy forum where nobody can do better than me...

Games like this was impossible to make 5 years ago good or not... and most of you are now making 2D games a new fashion and rediculising 3D games that have potential

My bad.

:-)

John Blackledge(Posted 2007) [#107]
Gfk - tut, tut, tut, waggy finger (and sneeky grin).

andy_mc(Posted 2007) [#108]
Sorry but you can't make people like your game. You put out a demo and people said they didn't like it. That's your fault, not theirs.

By the way, sold any copies yet?

boomboom(Posted 2007) [#109]
I played the demo. Didn't really know what was going on, then I walked around the water for a while, couldn't get out and then quit....

I would say 'Intresting' is the nicest comment you will get for this.

Xilvan(Posted 2007) [#110]
The game is now done... I revised the controls, the graphics, removed the bugs and many more...

50 worlds, more than 14 areas, 50 temples/caverns, 5 playable character, more than 30 items, many actions and Xild money !

The game will be launch by August

Ked(Posted 2007) [#111]
The game is now done... I revised the controls, the graphics, removed the bugs and many more...

50 worlds, more than 14 areas, 50 temples/caverns, 5 playable character, more than 30 items, many actions and Xild money !

The game will be launch by August

This guy's skull is a mile thick.

big10p(Posted 2007) [#112]
Be still, my beating heart.

Grey Alien(Posted 2007) [#113]
well this "controls, the graphics, removed the bugs and many more" could mean it's basically radically playable and looks lush now.

Ked(Posted 2007) [#114]
Or he could be caking it.

Xilvan(Posted 2007) [#115]
I will open another subject about the finished product... It gonna be amazing ! The graphics are lush its true... I'm actually working on the storyline of another Adventure game named Heaven of Dreams : Crystal Prison

EDIT: Moved to here:
http://www.blitzbasic.com/Community/posts.php?topic=71245

Ked(Posted 2007) [#116]
well this "controls, the graphics, removed the bugs and many more" could mean it's basically radically playable and looks lush now.

The graphics are lush its true

Good try, Grey Alien.

Xilvan(Posted 2007) [#117]

ervin(Posted 2007) [#118]