My latest game...

Community Forums/Showcase/My latest game...

JA2(Posted 2007) [#1]

I know it doesn't look like much at the moment, but this is my latest project. I'm basing the gameplay on a game I made almost 2 years ago.

I've been wanting to make horror games for ages and ages but never quite got around to it. When this is finished it will have a Nightmare Before Christmas look and feel to it.

I don't want to give too much away just yet. Thought it was about time I posted some of my work on the forum :) Any comments, suggestions etc are all very welcome,

Thanks

GfK(Posted 2007) [#2]
What can you say about a six pumpkins?

JA2(Posted 2007) [#3]
LOL not much I guess. At least you know they are pumpkins ;)

Any idea how I can show the image as an image rather than a link?

Hujiklo(Posted 2007) [#4]
Boy! That web-page is giving me a lot of problems viewing the screenshot, and when it finally loads after clicking on the 'current projects' link all I get is a small thumbnail image.

Looks okay for a crowd of pumpkins though - can't say much else.

Paul Murray(Posted 2007) [#5]
I've had an idea for a game which has a very Tim Burton fantasy look to it, all elongated and distorted objects, and such.

The gameplay will be very much like Medievil on PS1 in a hack and slah style, but with spells and stuff too.

And of course there will be pumpkins in it :)

JustLuke(Posted 2007) [#6]
The mushrooms that are growing near the tree have oddly flattened tops.

The textures are too low res; they look blurry and muddy.

All in all, this image reminds me of an emulated Playstation 1 game running with a "filter textures" option enabled.

JA2(Posted 2007) [#7]
I'll be re-doing the ground and mushroom textures, they were borrowed from some very old projects as place holders.

The gameplay is very very simple, no hacking or slashing I'm afraid. It still needs loads of work doing. Thanks for the comments so far, I know there isn't much to go on yet.

JA2(Posted 2007) [#8]

Just a quick update. I've remade the ground texture and smoothed the mushrooms and various other bits and pieces in the scene.

I'll start working on some pumpkin lanterns and a scarecrow over the weekend to finish the scene. Most of the game code is already finished from my old project and I have a few new features I'll be adding too.

When playing the game, the view will be centered on the pumpkins. Before you start, you get to choose how many pumpkins to play with, 2, 4, 6, or 8. I'll try and put a demo together by the end of next week.

JustLuke(Posted 2007) [#9]
Big improvement. It looks far more atmospheric now.

Paul Murray(Posted 2007) [#10]
Looks great. The silhouette of the trees looks good against the moon. I'm eager to know what the gameplay is

JA2(Posted 2007) [#11]

It's taken a bit longer than I had hoped but I've finished my scarecrow model and a couple of pumpkin lanterns. The scarecrow is fully rigged and ready to animate.

I've also added some random rain and lightning effects with changing intensity and sounds to match.

The gameplay is very simple as I said before. Basically, the scarecrow will hit random pumpkins (like drums) and you have to follow the pattern. It starts with a simple 3 hit combo, which you repeat, then the pattern increases by 1 hit etc. The more pumpkins you have the harder the pattern will be to follow.

Fingers crossed for a demo this week :)

Picklesworth(Posted 2007) [#12]
Aww, I thought it was a pumpkin growing simulation :(
(Can you do that, too? Pleeeaase?)

That does look excellent now, although your scarecrow looks a bit flat. For example, its legs and shirt / pants all look to be the same glob. If that's necessary to keep the poly count down, though, I understand. It still looks pretty good.

That moon looks fantastic.

Paul Murray(Posted 2007) [#13]
The hat looks a bit too neat too. If it had been out in a field in the rain it would be dirty and tatty I'd imagine.

Interesting gameply. Makes me think of Parappa the Rapper