unnamed game test

Community Forums/Showcase/unnamed game test

Kev(Posted 2007) [#1]
Hi Guys

heres the start of my game, ive still no name for it. any suggestions welcome on this.

the object right now is testing, simply roll around the playing area.

i would like feedback on your fps and system, and any other comments you would like to make.

Download

kev

SSS(Posted 2007) [#2]
I like the idea, it's really clever! I hope yo umake it into a full game.

Warpy(Posted 2007) [#3]
Ditto!

50 fps on a toshiba m400.

puki(Posted 2007) [#4]
Looks interesting - even though there isn't much to see.

Grey Alien(Posted 2007) [#5]
yeah makes me think of quite a few possibilities.

Leto(Posted 2007) [#6]
You could make the next Devil Dive, Kev! :D

Kev(Posted 2007) [#7]
just working on level loading a.t.m, this example uses random tiles. theres still lots i plan on adding it all seems to be fitting together just nice.

still unsure at this stage where im going to take this, there is lots of possibilities my priority right now is the engine. collectible items still need more doing one thing being them dropping when the floor tile below is flashing. there no collisions with them also.

still looking for more comments and your system spec and fps.

kev

big10p(Posted 2007) [#8]
I get 56-60 fps on my sys (1Ghz GF2 GTS). I'd expect a solid 60 considering there's not much going on, TBH, even on my low spec machine.

I also get some glitching on the scaling up/down cubes. Probably an alpha sorting problem.

Nice beginings of a game idea, tho.

P.S. I wouldn't worry about a name until you have finalized more of the game's objectives and mechanics.

smilertoo(Posted 2007) [#9]
He's using a lot more polys than it looks, to give the cubes nice beveled edges.

big10p(Posted 2007) [#10]
Even with the bevels (adding ~32 tris to each cube), there can't be that many polies. Maybe the fluctuating FPS is to do with the timing method he's using? *shrugs*

Kev(Posted 2007) [#11]
Im now using blitzsupports timming code from the code archives big10p can your re-test.

kev

big10p(Posted 2007) [#12]
FPS is now changing so fast, I can't read it. It seems to be going above 100 at some point, too. However, this new version is in windowed mode (last one wasn't was it?) so a fluctuating FPS is to be expected, somewhat - on my machine it is, anyway.

P.S. Tip for printing FPS: actually count how many frames get displayed in a second and then print that. Rinse and repeat. That way, the FPS display only chances once per second at most, and so is readable. :)

Kev(Posted 2007) [#13]
ok the previous version have been in window mode, this latest version now call full screen. like before i have used blitzsupports timming code and halo fps code.

from here.
http://www.blitzbasic.com/Community/posts.php?topic=68243#762401

i know im being a pain in the arse, but big10p if you have time to test again it would be of much help.

kev

big10p(Posted 2007) [#14]
Seems a bit steadier at 60fps, now - drops to as low as 52 sometimes, but only very briefly. It's not noticeable in the actual game. I wouldn't worry about it for now and just concentrate on the game. :)

Kev(Posted 2007) [#15]
great thanks big10p.

kev

Geehawk(Posted 2007) [#16]
A steady 85 for me.

This has great potential for something simple yet addictive.

Cool!

Kev(Posted 2007) [#17]
thanks Geehawk,

well ive finish'd a simple level editor for designing the level layout. now to get some levels done before working on the collectible items i need some usable levels before i decide what collectible items to have.

kev

flounder22001(Posted 2007) [#18]
60 fps most of the time, drops down to 55 at random points

Wings(Posted 2007) [#19]
Me got 60 FPS on my Weakling Laptop.

Toshiba Satelite A10
Mobile intel Celeron 2.2 Ghz
256 Mb Ram
Intel 82852 Graphics Controller 64 Mb

degac(Posted 2007) [#20]
75 fps - Athlon64 3500, GeForce 6600gt

Kev(Posted 2007) [#21]
thanks guys,

new example uploaded where if you press space it fills the board with collectible's. still no collisions with collectible items im still working on other bits.

gets a bit over crowded with all spaces on the board full, simply put its chaos to move about.

im still getting 60fps here :)

kev

Geehawk(Posted 2007) [#22]
It seems to be settling at screen refresh rate, 85 in my case.

At the point of hitting space it drops into the 40s, then straight back up to 85.

After 6 hits of space its down in the 70s

Kev(Posted 2007) [#23]
when pressing space items dont get deleted as you are aware, so after 6 space pushes we have 294 collectible items on the board. we wont use that many in the final game.

new version uploaded that drop's collectible items down that are above the srinking floor tiles. now some time with maplet for design of the lightmapped play area.

kev