HSG Presents Metalord

Community Forums/Showcase/HSG Presents Metalord

Aeronux(Posted 2007) [#1]
Newest Update (June 4th, 2007):
Chris:
Well gang, here's an update anouncement! I've gone through and made a LOT of changes to both Metalord and the Hopping Stone Games website. I suggest everyone check out the newer version, as it has a few changes that definately extend play time.

Changes to the website:
+ Sweet image viewer script used with screenshots
+ Download information page
+ Updates section
+ Graphics to replace headers
+ new set of metalord screenshots
+ extended system requirements info for metalord
+ More visible downloads image, as well as new header and index page images.

Changes to metalord:
June 4th, 2007 (Version 3):
+ Added stars in the background that constantly are moving, even in intro, controls, and exit screens.
+ Made cooldown decrease dramatically with each pickup, as well as imposed a limit on the number of cooldown pickups that can be aquired.
+ Changed asteroid sizes, number of splits, and rate of entry
+ Added fade out effect to bubbletexts
+ Changed bubbletexts to lighblend and made them brighter based on more points recieved or health lost
+ Updated the FPS handler
+ Fixed fps maintaining, along with applying hardware VSync
+ Added ship motion blur
+ Added in a new in-game cursor
+ Added ALT+ENTER window/fullscreen switching support
+ Added ability to mouseclick in the screens, in addition to pressing the keys.
+ Added in an icon for shortcuts and the installer.

An example screenshot:

Please visit Hopping Stone Games for more information and the download. We look forward to your new batch of critiques! :)

History:
Dated May 31st, 2007:
Chris:

Let me first start out by introducing Hopping Stone Games. HSG is a fledgling company, named so because the games we are making are our 'stepping stones' towards bigger and better things. For now, we are focusing on making many small productions to expand our horizons and increase our understanding of BlitzMax, and possibly other languages as well. HSG currently is Mike Wojtkowski and Chris Arendt.

Now, the game...

Metalord is a small two-day project that was officially the first Hopping Stone Games production. Because it was written and playtested in only two days, of course some things may be lacking here and there. The point is that it was made in two days, and that we were, at the time, trying to make as many games as possible. However, I think it's a fun little game with enough gameplay to keep you occupied for a half hour or so, and a good addition.

So, more on the game. It's a top to bottom space scroller, wherein the objective is to earn points. The player earns points mainly through avoiding asteroids, but is capable of earning through breaking up the rock formations with their trusty laser cannon. There are a total of four different pick-ups to be obtained, each with a unique result; A health pickup repairs/upgrades your ship, therefore increasing its lifespan, a cooldown pickup reduces the amount of time between shots, a gun pickup increases the number of shots fired each time, and a whipeout pickup explodes all nearby asteroids.

Please visit our website, www.HoppingStone.com for download, screenshots, how to play, system requirements, etc. We thank you for the support!

On a side note, I would appreciate if you guys could answer a few questions for me:

A) Is it legal for Mike and I to share one account (to use on the forums, get updates, etc.)? If so, do we both need seperate copies of BlitzMax?

B) When we post a game, should we include a copy of all the stuff (stuff about the game, screenshots, how to play, system requirements, etc.), or should we just do it like done here?

C) What license are we required to use when we release games? I just used the "Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 United States" one provided by CreativeCommons.org. Is that okay?

Thanks for all!

Geehawk(Posted 2007) [#2]
Web site does not work for me. Or maybe I'm just daft.

Get the screen but nothing appears "clickable" ??? or at least what appears clickable does nothing when clicked ...

IE7 BTW

Warpy(Posted 2007) [#3]
Ace! Absolutely great! I got 7800 the first time round, before I realised you could shoot. Great game, and I'm always a fan of unusual window sizes. The download link on your website ain't half hard to find, though.

Who was John Galt?(Posted 2007) [#4]
A) If one of you is just a gfx/sound man, it may be a grey area. If you are both a programming in Max on separate machines, you definitely need 2 copies.

B) You should post a screenshot here. Many people will not bother checking your website if you don't.

C) No idea.

Grey Alien(Posted 2007) [#5]
yeah I concur with Nomen on A and B. If you are both programming in Bmax on different PCs and have only paid for one copy then the other one is a pirate copy.

Grey Alien(Posted 2007) [#6]
Wanted to play the game but can't download it. There are 3 screenshots and clicking them (or the arrows) does nothing. Please make it more clear.

Warpy(Posted 2007) [#7]
the download button's at the top right, to the right of where it says "completed ....."

Grey Alien(Posted 2007) [#8]
Not on my computer (IE6) it isn't.

Warpy(Posted 2007) [#9]
How odd! I've just tried it in IE and yes, the button's not clickable! Better get that sorted, aeronux.
In the mean time, here 's the link

Aeronux(Posted 2007) [#10]
Chris:

Sorry guys, it's because Mike set up the site originally, and he seems to only care whether or not we support Firefox... I'll complain more today and get him to fix it. (actually, I'm a fan of it too... it's just so darned boring to have to do twice the work :\)

As well, I'm sorry it was hard to find the download. I figure that if most people were actually able to search the site, there might be more people that could, but we'll still definately take that into consideration. However, are you sure that it wasn't the puzld1 game that you were trying to download? Puzld1 isn't available at the moment (hence the x through the download image...).

About the questions, thanks! Though of course I still need the last question answered, I was wondering... can we get 2 copies under the same name? And, another good question is, do you guys think we should put work-in-progress games up on the website (without downloads, just preview info).

We really appreciate the help, and equally exicited to have a new game coming out in a few days!

Edit: Chris:
Okay, I found that the problem is our javascript reflection script. I'll disable it for now to make things work, but this really is quite ungood :'(

I tried fixing how the image backgrounds aren't matching up with the site bg in IE, but it'll require us to fill in the images and upload them and stuff, so that'll be done later on after I get out of school.

Now, to the person that said screenshots didn't work. You meant the 3 game images on the first page of the website, right? If otherwise, please tell!

Grey Alien(Posted 2007) [#11]
OK it works in IE now, thanks. I would still say that the download button needs to be a LOT more visible. I'll play the game later.

Aeronux(Posted 2007) [#12]
Okay, thanks. As said, we'll work on the download problem.

Geehawk(Posted 2007) [#13]
Right I can now click on things too, but I'll be dammed if I can see the download button :-(

Aeronux(Posted 2007) [#14]
Hmm. I'll make a quick fix for now. It's gonna look terrible though :(

The download button is the big crappy looking image on the metalord page.

Geehawk(Posted 2007) [#15]
Got it LOL

Um. Its sort of ... um ... well I can see why warpy likes it LOL

For me it was just too hard. Controls seemed odd. Far simpler to have a normal upwards shooting from keyboard, but obviously you did not want that.

So much was coming down the screen that I found I could avoid stuff or shoot, but not both at once. It felt more a game of chance than skill. Maybe I don't have any ...

Uninstall does not remove "hopping stone games" folder.

Over all I couldn't play it for 5 mins let alone 1/2 an hour.

Bremer(Posted 2007) [#16]
can we get 2 copies under the same name?

As far as I know, there is nothing to stop someone from purchasing as many licences of bmax as they please. You could send Blitz Research an email and as them for an official answer though.

Aeronux(Posted 2007) [#17]
Chris:
Got it LOL

Um. Its sort of ... um ... well I can see why warpy likes it LOL

For me it was just too hard. Controls seemed odd. Far simpler to have a normal upwards shooting from keyboard, but obviously you did not want that.

So much was coming down the screen that I found I could avoid stuff or shoot, but not both at once. It felt more a game of chance than skill. Maybe I don't have any ...

Uninstall does not remove "hopping stone games" folder.

Over all I couldn't play it for 5 mins let alone 1/2 an hour.

Hmm. That's interesting...

About the controls, I wasn't under the impression arrow keys were considered odd for movement. I guess I can change it to support WASD as well, but usually WASD is used for fps games. Still, not to hard to do. The mouse I used for shooting probably because I play fps games a lot, and heliattack had it like this, too. I understand that shooting upwards would be possibly easier, but it would just be too unoriginal. We're trying to remake games that are already out there, with special twists. Obviously, using the mouse to shoot instead of te keyboard or ctrl isn't much of a twist, but you get the point.

As for the chance or skill, actually, if you play the game for more than 30 seconds, then you'll realize that you can actually get better. My friend actually doubled his points each time he played. At first he complained that it was too hard too, but neither of us actually expected him to bet the best the first time.

About the uininstall not removing the folder, I'm hoping you mean the startmenu folder. If so, then I can understand, because I altered where the icons were put, and must have forgotten to change where the uninstaller removes them from too.

Edit:
As far as I know, there is nothing to stop someone from purchasing as many licences of bmax as they please. You could send Blitz Research an email and as them for an official answer though.
Hmm... that's probably a good idea ^.^

Grey Alien(Posted 2007) [#18]
Just played it. Arrow keys and mouse is and odd combination as it forces me to twist over my keyboard. WASD would be MUCH better (or a define keys option).

Sound effects would make this more pleasant to play.

It seems to have some tearing, don't think you are VSyncing in windowed mode, it would be nicer if it did. Depends on what timing code you've used though...

Not sure I groove to the graphics, I appreciate it's an interesting concept using a font, but I'd have prefered normal sprites.

The game is OK, just not much long term appeal. Sounds and graphics and better controls would make a big difference imho.

Rob Farley(Posted 2007) [#19]
Haven't played it however lots of people are talking WASD and they're just those crazy right handed people... Have BOTH!

Aeronux(Posted 2007) [#20]
Chris:
Haven't played it however lots of people are talking WASD and they're just those crazy right handed people... Have BOTH!

Cheers

check this:
...I guess I can change it to support WASD as well, but usually WASD is used for fps games...

Yeah, thanks for the comments guys, but I was really focusing on making the game ASAP. Therefore, sprites would waste so much time. As for the sound, I did actually have sound, but after testing it on other computers for some reason it just rapes their RAM and locks up. I'll have to look into streaming audio...

Thanks again, and keep it up!

Geehawk(Posted 2007) [#21]
I get the two handed approach for fps games but IMO it doesn't work in this case.

In a FPS you move around and fire but only have to look at the enemies. Here you have to look at the mouse cursor and your ship at the same time which is what I find hard.
It also does not help having a small width to the play area so its all to easy to mouse out of the window and switch focus out of the game all together.

And no the Start Menu folder removed fine. However it left the "hopping stone games" folder in Program Files, on my chosen installation drive.

Aeronux(Posted 2007) [#22]
Chris:
In a FPS you move around and fire but only have to look at the enemies. Here you have to look at the mouse cursor and your ship at the same time which is what I find hard.
It also does not help having a small width to the play area so its all to easy to mouse out of the window and switch focus out of the game all together.

Considering that I made the game, I didn't find it too hard to do these two tasks simultaneously. Plus, I figured that players needed something that they could get better at. I fear that you do not realize you may hold down the mouse button. If you hold down the mouse button, you'll fire faster, and more importantly, you won't switch window focus by moving the cursor outside the window bounds.

Maybe I should allow for windowed OR fullscreen?

And no the Start Menu folder removed fine. However it left the "hopping stone games" folder in Program Files, on my chosen installation drive.
You'll find that a lot of programs actually leave behind these folders, usually so that any cutomizations are then set up correctly if you reinstall. That isn't the reason this is happening in this situation though; it's a problem that I'm guessing resulted from my usage of Clickteam's Install Maker.

I get the two handed approach for fps games but IMO it doesn't work in this case.
While keeping the same gameplay (you can shoot accurately and quickly, from any angle, at any time), what do you suggest?

Edit: Actually, with the install, I can't see how I'm going to be capable of making the uninstaller know whether or not there is nothing left in the folder. After all, if it lacks the functionality to delete the empty Hopping Stone Games folder, then I won't be able to fix this. I hate to just say "well, deal with it," but there's really nothing else I can do at the moment. I'll contact Clickteam.

Who was John Galt?(Posted 2007) [#23]
Not too shabby for a quick dev game.

A couple of suggestions for quick fixes:

It's not at all obvious where the download button is on your site.

You need a large crosshair so you can see where you're aiming more easily. Possibly a pair of crossed lines that cross the whole window. Lose the plain mouse pointer.

You should always be able to exit a windowed game by pressing the 'x'

Aeronux(Posted 2007) [#24]
Chris:
Not too shabby for a quick dev game.

A couple of suggestions for quick fixes:

It's not at all obvious where the download button is on your site.

You need a large crosshair so you can see where you're aiming more easily. Possibly a pair of crossed lines that cross the whole window. Lose the plain mouse pointer.

You should always be able to exit a windowed game by pressing the 'x'
Thanks!

About the download button, are you serious? I definately blew it up to like 700% size O.O ... I can't think of how more obvious it could be. Any suggestions?

I'm surprised I don't have a custom cursor actually. It was something I kept trying to remind myself to do, and I guess I forgot. And for the exiting with the 'X'... yeah... Will do!

I appreciate it.

Geehawk(Posted 2007) [#25]
Yes I realise you can hold the button down for rapid fire.
One question though, if thats how you are supposed to play it why have a fire button at all, why not just auto fire ;-)

And the suggestion of a larger crosshair for aiming is a good one. It might help people like me.

Aeronux(Posted 2007) [#26]
Yes I realise you can hold the button down for rapid fire.
One question though, if thats how you are supposed to play it why have a fire button at all, why not just auto fire ;-)
Ooooh.. that gives me a good idea! What do you guys think about having a weapon cooldown? That way, even later on in the game, you can't just rely on your guns to obliterate everything in your way.

And the suggestion of a larger crosshair for aiming is a good one. It might help people like me.
I've already fixed this, and I'm working on the other prollems.

Grey Alien(Posted 2007) [#27]
cross hair is a cood idea as at first I thought it wasd just firing vertically then I realised it was aimed at the cursor.

I was suggesting WASD merely so that I wasn't hunched in a bad way at my keyboard using the arrow keys. Support both.

The blown up download is too big and not clear due to pixellation.

Aeronux(Posted 2007) [#28]
Chris:
cross hair is a cood idea as at first I thought it wasd just firing vertically then I realised it was aimed at the cursor.

I was suggesting WASD merely so that I wasn't hunched in a bad way at my keyboard using the arrow keys. Support both.

The blown up download is too big and not clear due to pixellation.
Yeah, I think with the new cursor, that problem will be eliminated. As well, I've included WASD, and trust me, it's much better!

Anyone have any ideas as to how to make it more obvious where to download from? I'll try rebuilding the download icon at a larger size and post it. As well, we're looking into the whole reflections thing. They sure are neat!

Edit: Chris:
I just fixed the reflections!

And, now I'm fixing the mismatching color problems in IE!

Perturbatio(Posted 2007) [#29]
I found it a little easy, I got 877989.

Aeronux(Posted 2007) [#30]
Chris:
I found it a little easy, I got 877989.
Good job! Did you get to the point where you could just shoot above yourself and get endless points? I'm going to try to eliminate that by adding in a gun cooldown. I hope it works...

Grey Alien(Posted 2007) [#31]
download icon is better. How about putting it closer to the Metalord name instead of out the way over on the right?

Who was John Galt?(Posted 2007) [#32]
Haven't been back to your site, so ignore this if it already changed, but...

The download button is massive, but it just looked like some random graphic. A bit of text 'Download' is easier. Then again, maybe it's just me!

Aeronux(Posted 2007) [#33]
Chris:
download icon is better. How about putting it closer to the Metalord name instead of out the way over on the right?
That sounds like a good idea. I might put it next to the name on the left.

Haven't been back to your site, so ignore this if it already changed, but...

The download button is massive, but it just looked like some random graphic. A bit of text 'Download' is easier. Then again, maybe it's just me!
Why didn't you jsut go there lol. It would have taken less time that writing this :P

Aeronux(Posted 2007) [#34]
Chris:
Well gang, here's an update anouncement! I've gone through and made a LOT of changes to both Metalord and the Hopping Stone Games website. I suggest everyone check out the newer version, as it has a few changes that definately extend play time.

Changes to the website:
+ Sweet image viewer script used with screenshots
+ Download information page
+ Updates section
+ Graphics to replace headers
+ new set of metalord screenshots
+ extended system requirements info for metalord
+ More visible downloads image, as well as new header and index page images.

Changes to metalord:
June 4th, 2007 (Version 3):
+ Added stars in the background that constantly are moving, even in intro, controls, and exit screens.
+ Made cooldown decrease dramatically with each pickup, as well as imposed a limit on the number of cooldown pickups that can be aquired.
+ Changed asteroid sizes, number of splits, and rate of entry
+ Added fade out effect to bubbletexts
+ Changed bubbletexts to lighblend and made them brighter based on more points recieved or health lost
+ Updated the FPS handler
+ Fixed fps maintaining, along with applying hardware VSync
+ Added ship motion blur
+ Added in a new in-game cursor
+ Added ALT+ENTER window/fullscreen switching support
+ Added ability to mouseclick in the screens, in addition to pressing the keys.
+ Added in an icon for shortcuts and the installer.

An example screenshot:

Please visit Hopping Stone Games for more information and the download. We look forward to your new batch of critiques! :)

Warpy(Posted 2007) [#35]
It's good!

Aeronux(Posted 2007) [#36]
Chris:
It's good!
O.o not really something I expected... usually, there has to be some sort of problem to complain about :P