Catchy NES style music needed

Community Forums/Showcase/Catchy NES style music needed

QuickSilva(Posted 2007) [#1]
If you are a fan of the NES and also think that you could create some authentic sounding catchy NES style tunes then maybe you would like to join my team (one programmer, one artist and you hopefully ;) and work on a NES style game that I am making (See screenie)

Although I cannot say that you will get paid much you will get a small cut of the profits when the game is released.

If you are interested then please send a small sample of an authentic sounding NES piece based on the screenshot in this post.

The game will be as faithful to the original NES as possible .

Music can be in .ogg or .mp3 formats as long as they use NES style samples and have the limitations of an original NES song.

Jason.

Réno(Posted 2007) [#2]
why not using modules ( .mod or .xm )?

QuickSilva(Posted 2007) [#3]
I`m open to modules as well. As long as they sound like NES tunes I`m happy.

Jason.

Grey Alien(Posted 2007) [#4]
I really want to see this! :-)

Réno(Posted 2007) [#5]
Try to post in the forum here :

http://modarchive.org/

;)

_33(Posted 2007) [#6]
I got some tracks for you, e-mail me and let's make arrangements. I have a couple already I could share that I done. Some more I could adapt for the style needed. It's a matter of time.

QuickSilva(Posted 2007) [#7]
_33 When I get a moment later today I will email you.

Jason.

Trader3564(Posted 2007) [#8]
_33 are you good? i need music too. do you have a portfolio?

Damien Sturdy(Posted 2007) [#9]
As I promised in the past, I would help if i have the time :)

QuickSilva(Posted 2007) [#10]
Sorry I forgot. I would love to see what sort of stuff you can come up with as I remember you are a NES fan like me.

Maybe you could knock up a small taster for the screenshot above if you have some time free?

I have a couple of people interested at the moment but I would like to hear as much as possible before making the final decision. I know that you have produced some great stuff so hearing a NES tune from you would be cool.

Jason.

_33(Posted 2007) [#11]
LeeMing: Why would a musician say he's bad? LOL! I don't have a portfolio, but I do have some music on some netlabels, such as Camomille. But that is only one style of the many styles I do.

http://camomille.genshimedia.com

It depends what you need.

Damien Sturdy(Posted 2007) [#12]
QuickSilva:

Pirates of the caribbean :D
http://danjeruz.servegame.com/pirate%20nesdance.mp3

i'll knock up a tune for the screenie at some point...

Amon(Posted 2007) [#13]

QuickSilva:

Pirates of the caribbean :D
danjeruz.servegame.com/pirate%20nesdance.mp3

i'll knock up a tune for the screenie at some point...

BRILLIANT. :)

Please tell me what tools you use and where you got the bits to do all this.

Damien Sturdy(Posted 2007) [#14]
I use fruityloops and some simple Nes-like VST instruments- read up on the Nes system as to ensure not too many channels were used.... Stick to standard square, saw, pulse waves, noise, and *very few if at all any* WAV samples at around 2000hz, (i'm guessing there since i have no way to set it exactly...)

That was it really :)

QuickSilva(Posted 2007) [#15]
Cygnus, check you email.

Jason.

Grey Alien(Posted 2007) [#16]
I recommend Cygnus and I WANT TO PLAY THIS GAME!

Damien Sturdy(Posted 2007) [#17]
Haha, thanks for the reccomendation Grey...

I too want to play. :D

(Send me a copy- i'll consider working for free. XD)

Yo! Wazzup?(Posted 2007) [#18]
By the way...
NES songs are 8 bit.

Sledge(Posted 2007) [#19]
By the way...
NES songs are 8 bit.

Not really sure about that -- the tone generators get pushed out through a 4-bit DAC and the DPCM seems to be 6-bit. I'm not really into the technical side of synthesised sound, though, so I'm not really sure which parts govern how many bits you would claim for the whole (remember those arguments about the Jag not really being a 64-bit machine? I bet, in a similar fashion, you could argue this several ways too).

To me, "8-bit music" means music generated by a system with an 8-bit CPU. You generally know what to expect then.

Damien Sturdy(Posted 2007) [#20]

By the way...
NES songs are 8 bit.

The NES itself was 8-bit. its sound system was less internally. :P

dreadcog(Posted 2007) [#21]
Ummmm.... I think that music is from the Gameboy version of Dead Mans Chest.

_33(Posted 2007) [#22]
If you want to replicate the 8-bit, just get the real machine, or really get into the circuitry. Otherwise, it will be your perception of what it should be. ALso, have a real machine in the area so you can compare what you're doing versus what it's doing. because our interpretation will always be biased.

Cheers.

Damien Sturdy(Posted 2007) [#23]

I think that music is from the Gameboy version of Dead Mans Chest.

No.

I composed the piece entirely in fruityloops I can assure you!

Note to QuickSilva: I am unable to email at present- sorry! Will get back to you over the weekend! [edit] Also, suffering with a bit of RSI at the moment so i'm away from the puter for a bit... [/edit]

QuickSilva(Posted 2007) [#24]
No problems, speak soon.

Jason.