Star Trek 3D Project

Community Forums/Showcase/Star Trek 3D Project

z4g0(Posted 2007) [#1]
ST3D was born from a set of ideas and sub-projects, and aimed at the creation of an application, probably a VideoGame, based on the world of Star Trek. At the moment the 'puzzle' of ST3D contains following 'tiles':
1) A Simple Engine for spaces combats (Done)
2) A 3D Models of a new & original ships (Done)
3) A realtime 3D reconstruction of the set of Star Trek: The Next Generation (Done).
4) A realtime 3D reconstruction of Enterprise - D (W.I.P)

The most probable goal is the realization of a 'crossover' VideoGame like 'ST: A Final Unity' recycling a great part of the elements developed for these, and others, sub-projects; Sub-projects that at the moment must be considered a stand alone projects.

Star Trek 3D project still NOT an official Star Trek/Paramount Pictures/Viacom Software, but only a hobbystic tribute software. (See Disclaimer)

Screenshots:

VIDEO:
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=7164825778611007395

For other Screen, Video, and Downloadable alpha version see the official site:
http://www.clickitaliansoftware.net/public/vgcgroup/ST3D/

Amon(Posted 2007) [#2]
Looking great. :)

I download and play a lot of fan based Star Trek games and simulations and this one is looking really good.

Did you model all the Characters/Scenery yourself?

Keep us informed on how this progresses.

:-)

ImaginaryHuman(Posted 2007) [#3]
Wow, the graphics and video look excellent on this... I don't normally go for or appreciate 3D games but since you're basing it on a show that I am quite familiar with I have to say it is a very good likeness and you've done an excellent job on the modelling. It'll be interesting to see how it turns into a game.

Synchronist(Posted 2007) [#4]
Very nice work... I hope however, that you have considered the issues involved with using a copyrighted name and materials in your project...

Gabriel(Posted 2007) [#5]
I can't really find any fault in the quality of the videos or screenshots, they're technically very impressive. Oh, except that you might want to tone down the Depth-Of-Field effects a little. Unless the main character is supposed to be myopic.

I have strong opinions on the whole IP/Copyright/Fan line, but they're not relevant to this thread, so I'll MMOB.

z4g0(Posted 2007) [#6]
thank @ all!

Did you model all the Characters/Scenery yourself?

yes, with Wings3D!

I hope however, that you have considered the issues involved with using a copyrighted name and materials in your project...

When I started the project I didn't considerate legals issues. So I've tryed to 'patch' it stuffing the project (and related things) with a lot of "Disclaimers".
I've asked also in startrek.com officale website, and seems that with Disclaimer and "freeware" licence there are no problem ( I hope ).

I have strong opinions on the whole IP/Copyright/Fan line, but they're not relevant to this thread, so I'll MMOB.

I'm Interested :)

Gabriel(Posted 2007) [#7]
I'm Interested :)

Well if you were earlier in the project, I'd have urged you to contact the copyright holder and get the ok, so that you wouldn't waste a huge amount of time ( and an abundance of talent ) on something that might get stopped with a cease and desist order.

However, you've done so much work now, you really don't have any choice but to continue as you are and hope nobody minds. I should imagine it would be heartbreaking to be stopped now, so the ostrich approach may well be the wisest one.

Liberator(Posted 2007) [#8]
Holy crap, sooo is this Blitz3D? Is there something I'm missing here because I didn't think blitz could do stuff like this...

Whatever it is, there is freakin' love here. Good job man, can't wait to play the final thing!

clownhunter(Posted 2007) [#9]
Very nice. Can't wait to see this completed. Looks beautiful. :D

McSeb(Posted 2007) [#10]
Holy crap, sooo is this Blitz3D? Is there something I'm missing here because I didn't think blitz could do stuff like this...

Blitz is just a tool, you can make anything with anything as long as you have the talent (this guy does), the time and you're willing to put in the effort.

The little projects you often see (like mine) are often one man bands, put a talented and motivated team together and you can do some killer stuff.

That said, this seems mighty ambitious, hope you guys can finish this and survive the copyright stuff. Paramount is very aggressive with it's licensing.

McSeb(Posted 2007) [#11]
Just noticed Picard looks a little cross-eyed, maybe that's why the depth of field is so intense. :P (Just nitpicking)

Very impressive and seems to be insanely accurate.

Grey Alien(Posted 2007) [#12]
Yes very nicely done. Can you make Dianna Troy naked?

xlsior(Posted 2007) [#13]
Very impressive!

Extremely minor nitpick: when you enter a turbolift, the demo shows the animated floor-moving effect even before you stepped into the it, while it's obviously still stationary.

JustLuke(Posted 2007) [#14]
Awesome visuals!

I'm impressed, but I would have been far more impressed if you'd used a ship, gameworld and characters of your own design.

Look, I understand that you like Star Trek, but the Star Trek visual style is generic enough to replicate without you needing to outright copy it - the movie Galaxy Quest is a great example of this, By creating something original you would have avoided infringing on Star Trek copyrights and trademarks (and potential cease and desist letters), and an original vessel, gameworld, and characters in the Star Trek style would also be a greater artistic and creative achievement too.

Ross C(Posted 2007) [#15]
Maybe so, but if it's just a hobby thing, then i'd imagine he'd wanna copy the star trek world as he see's it. Very im0pressive modelling...

Ross C(Posted 2007) [#16]
Just saw the video... DAM. Extremely impressive! You should maybe ask paramount for a game licence :o)

z4g0(Posted 2007) [#17]
eheheh thanks.. but Paramount will make me BUY$$ the license XD

puki(Posted 2007) [#18]
Luckily this does not conflict with my Star Trek game - mine is TOS. I'll allow you to continue yours, but you will need to submit all code and media - we'll discuss that at a later stage.

puki(Posted 2007) [#19]
Just so you do not worry - this is a first-look at mine:

http://www.blitzbasic.com/Community/posts.php?topic=63570

Mine is more speech-driven than graphics - all my graphics are place-holders.

*(Posted 2007) [#20]
looks good wheres the demo

clownhunter(Posted 2007) [#21]
Edz, the demo is on his site. :P

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2007) [#22]
Very nice depth of field fx. How is that done, some kind of dll?

seferey(Posted 2007) [#23]
I'm a big Star trek fan and I love this Star Trek 3D project your making keep up the good work there dude

I hope that when your finished with it or if u get permission from Paramount I will definitly buy this title and add it to my
Star trek Collection I hope the plot is good and the battle systems

IPete2(Posted 2007) [#24]
awesomew stuff - excellent work. What's surprising is when you watch the video you actually get to understand the way the ship was laid out and how to get around, far more so than in any episode/film.

You really get to feel this is a 'real' ship and the detail you have gone into is extraordinary. IMO it's better than the official Voyager stuff in the Hazard Team game, by far!

IPete2.

John Blackledge(Posted 2007) [#25]
Oh dear. MAV when I click on Play.

z4g0(Posted 2007) [#26]
Thank @all!

John Blackledge

Hi!, first af all, what PC do you have?
then, are you run the .exe directly by 'rar' file? else, have you unzipped with "keep folder hierarchy" on?: the folder must cointains:
[+]Root
   [+] Datas
   [-] St3DSet.exe
   [-] ReadMe014.txt

Anyway that is an Old Alpha: there a lot of thing different in the W.I.P version.. I hope to release a new Beta version soon!

Gooneybird(Posted 2007) [#27]
Absolutly fantastic, very high quality work. I am amazingly impressed by your modeling. What are you using for your texture work?

-Gooney

ICECAP(Posted 2007) [#28]
I'm not meaning to sound funny (strange/nasty) but is there a reason you are avoiding stating what it was written in?

Several people have asked if you use Blitz3D and if you use DLLs etc, and you seem to be sidestepping or not answering. I personally hope you did use blitz3d because i think it would defiantly set a new benchmark for people trying to pull off "professional" projects. :)

z4g0(Posted 2007) [#29]
sorry! I forgot to answer ^^
yes, is Blitz3D at 100%!
for the DOF I'm using both the 'code archive' algorithm, and AndreyMan DLL (switchable by users).
for the GUI images I'm using FastImage DLL
No other Dll ;)

-Rick-(Posted 2007) [#30]
This is absolutely fantastic. I think it would be just cool to be able to explore the ship and get a spacial feel for the Enterprise. Does this include all those access hatchways and service conduits?

Jason W.(Posted 2007) [#31]
Wow..your project is mind blowing!! Excellent work. How long did you work on this?

The talented people in the blitz community gets better and better. I really need to get off my ass and prove myself.

Jason

Jason W.(Posted 2007) [#32]
z4g0,

I went to your site, and I noticed you have some tutorials. Not to sway you away from any productive work you might be doing, but could you add english translation to your website? I really appreciate it.

Only if you get time..if not, I'll use some online translation tools.

Awesome work!

Jason

Chroma(Posted 2007) [#33]
My thoughts exactly.

z4g0(Posted 2007) [#34]
Thanks jason, When I'll have more time I'll try to translate it in English (but I don't know if is better 'my' english or Babelfish English XD )

@Rick (Jefferies tubes are not already done: At the moment I have done only the first 3 / 4 Deck (are really big!) where there aren't jefferies tubes, looking the Enterprise blueprints (omg, I feel like a nerd XD)... but it will be for the other decks!

My thoughts exactly.

I need more Polys and a cool physics engine to do it!! XD XD

andy_mc(Posted 2007) [#35]
I'd be interested in doing the enterprise from the series: Enterprise. Although that'd be difficult as there's a lot of wires sticking out and complex consoles to put in. It's no where near as simple as the TOS ship or the D.

What other shows would be good to model in Blitz?

Bankie(Posted 2007) [#36]
Superb work. This would be great even as a toy to roam around the Enterprise. Being able to see how the rooms all link together is excellent and something you can't really get from the TV series.

z4g0(Posted 2007) [#37]
What other shows would be good to model in Blitz?

The simpson, for example XD XD ... could be an idea for my next 'copyright infringiment' :P

Superb work. This would be great even as a toy to roam around the Enterprise. Being able to see how the rooms all link together is excellent and something you can't really get from the TV series.

Thanks Bankie!

Wings(Posted 2007) [#38]
justg Change name to Trek Space and it will due :)=

Paul "Taiphoz"(Posted 2007) [#39]
I find that if there is ever any doubt, then you should e-mail the people who own the rights to the IP.

They are not evil people, and the star treck IP is so HUGE and been copied so many times that it will be nothing new to them, they may even be interested in supporting what your doing in some way.

Either way at least you get an official response on the project and you will know exactly where you stand with it.

Pinete(Posted 2007) [#40]
This project seems impressive to me.
Go for it!

All the best!