BlockDude

Community Forums/Showcase/BlockDude

Amon(Posted 2007) [#1]
Here's my quick code block dude game. I first played this game in the 80's on a BBC computer. It's not a faithfull remake but its close.

To Download >>>Click here!<<<

[edit]

Tap Arrow Keys to move left and right. Avoid the falling blocks and try and see how high up the screen you can go. Be aware that its easy to get trapped.

:)

Yo! Wazzup?(Posted 2007) [#2]
Very... interesting. The start where it goes really slow is kinda annoying. Otherwise it's fun.

Stevie G(Posted 2007) [#3]
I remember this - it was a listing in Micro User I think! Showing my age now ;)

Geehawk(Posted 2007) [#4]
I still have all my Micro Users :-) pretty sure there was something similar in BeeBug or Elbug too ...... now who remembers those ;-)

Damien Sturdy(Posted 2007) [#5]
The electron- Ahhh! a BBC B without Mode7!

I had all my BBC user mags till recently. My 250byte code entries were based off of results from the one-liners in those mags!

Grey Alien(Posted 2007) [#6]
what did you render the main character in?

Stevie G(Posted 2007) [#7]

The electron- Ahhh! a BBC B without Mode7!

Mode 7 was the teletext one wasn't it? Jesus, mode 2 took up 20k itself and was only 20 chars wide - no room for sloppy bloated code there!

Amon(Posted 2007) [#8]
what did you render the main character in?

Erm! If your refering to him still animating when walking then yeah it is being drawn and updated in the wrong place. Originally I had him moving with keydown instead of keyhit and when I changed the code I left the old anim routin in there.

agent4125(Posted 2007) [#9]
Yeah, this is pretty neat.

Nathaniel(Posted 2007) [#10]
Pretty fun... how long have you been working on this?

Damien Sturdy(Posted 2007) [#11]

Mode 7 was the teletext one wasn't it? Jesus, mode 2 took up 20k itself and was only 20 chars wide - no room for sloppy bloated code there!

Thats right.

mode2 was 8 colour+8 flashing. If you were clever you could code your own "mode"s :) The pixels were ugggly! I think each pixel was like, 4x1 haha.

Nice bit of retro here Amon :)

The mushroom collector game in my sig was originally a BBC game by myself by the way!