Dirt Gravel Mud Released

Community Forums/Showcase/Dirt Gravel Mud Released

ICECAP(Posted 2007) [#1]

Do you want the excitement of racing a 4x4 across challenging tundra?

Are you screaming out for a time limited, fuel charged challenge?

DGM has all this and more! So jump in the driver's seat and prepare to get your hands dirty with this 3D arcade racing experience!

Visit the website to download the demo now!

big10p(Posted 2007) [#2]
FYI: the screenie thumbnails on your website dont display correctly in IE6. They display 1/4 size, in the top-left corner of the frames.

GfK(Posted 2007) [#3]
I found the website was too slow. I didn't even think it was working at first. I eventually got to the screenshots but they're too small tbh.

I might try downloading it later.

ICECAP(Posted 2007) [#4]
Yeah I know the issue with the screen shots, working on it now. I think it might be an error with flash, if you refresh the page everything rights itself.

[EDIT]
Ok I think I have fixed the problem with the screenshots. Let me know if its still a problem for some people.

Boiled Sweets(Posted 2007) [#5]
website is nice! but what if you are 107?

OK gave it a quick go...

1. At the end of the install I got an error when it tried to run the game, something about not finding a link

2. Why is the copyright 2006? Was this not updated since last year?

3. The default res was 1280 * 1024 but this is not supported on my machine. Would be nicer if it auto selected the highest possible res and didn't allow you to select a res that is unsupported by the machine.

4. It is very hard to read the small text, it's all very dark in the menu

5. Was I supposed to be racing against anyone lese, got a bit bored.

6. No uninstall link :-(

7. Uninstalled thru add/remove programs and it left all the directories there that I had to manually remove. This is NOT good!

8. Why is it SOOO big?

Other than that it's a pretty slick looking game - well done.

big10p(Posted 2007) [#6]
Yeah, works now - after I remembered to press ctrl+F5. :)

ICECAP(Posted 2007) [#7]
1. At the end of the install I got an error when it tried to run the game, something about not finding a link

Hmmmm interesting, I'll check it out.

2. Why is the copyright 2006? Was this not updated since last year?

It was officially released in 2006, hence the copyright is dated back then... am updating that now.

3. The default res was 1280 * 1024 but this is not supported on my machine. Would be nicer if it auto selected the highest possible res and didn't allow you to select a res that is unsupported by the machine.

Noted and will make it either auto select the best res or make it select the lowest, then its compatible with everyones monitors.

4. It is very hard to read the small text, it's all very dark in the menu

This is true, I have been trying to change this for ages. Its set somewhere in the custom interface add-in we are using.

5. Was I supposed to be racing against anyone lese, got a bit bored.

This game was originally designed for internet play, but for time completion and lack of hosing server reasons, the features had to be cut back. What you are playing is effectively the practice mode of what was to be a much larger game.

The most frustrating thing is, we programmed the server side app and had it fully working with two or three people connecting, and racing each other.

6. No uninstall link :-(

Yes, I do know about this. There is supposed to be, but the setup program we use keeps removing that feature without asking us first. If you can recommend any good setup package creators, we would be open to change.

7. Uninstalled thru add/remove programs and it left all the directories there that I had to manually remove. This is NOT good!

Again problems with the setup package creator we use.

8. Why is it SOOO big?

Thats a really good question. We have asked ourselves the same thing too. I think it might be down to huge textures and full quality music etc.

Grisu(Posted 2007) [#8]
Can't download the game it stopps after 4,2 mb?

Insert: "DGMSetupDEMO.002"?

What installer do you use?

Edit: Inno Setup is all you need: http://www.jordanr.dhs.org/isinfo.php

...after using Flashget...

Edit2: I have water gfx errors!

Edit3: Add an exit to OS game option.

McSeb(Posted 2007) [#9]
The Good:
- I love the big tire on your website hehe
- I love the crazy mortal kombat voice "Race commences in Three !! Two !! One !!"
- I love the way you show the level in wireframe as it loads
- Racing physics and gameplay is cool
- I like the baja style get to the checkpoint racing
- Love the water (on my computer, sorry Grisu)

The Bad:
- Installer crashed on me when it finished as it tried to run the game
- Gets lonely out there alone
- Default Res is too high, noobie users might not check it first and have trouble. I'd say go with 1024x768 and let people change it
- Car could of used a little more horsepower and the car's suspension is kinda stiff

The Ugly:
- Dark font in menus on dark background
- Ground texture is odd somehow
- Kinda cheap on the polygons in some places (like the checkpoint circles)

I know, Boiled Sweets said a lot of these but I got the same reaction

Rob Farley(Posted 2007) [#10]
Reminds me of 1nsane, and unfortunately I've still not found a better offroad game.

McSeb(Posted 2007) [#11]
oh yeah, 1nsane was fun... There have been better offroad stuff since, flatout or Motocross Madness and that new Motorstorm thing on that expensive black brick, the PS3

Geehawk(Posted 2007) [#12]
Sorry but I have nothing really good to say about this and yes its mostly been said before.

Everything menu wise is practically illegible to me, having to press my nose against the screen to read stuff is not what I want.

When I finally got a race going it just made me feel sick. The camera bounces around with every undulation in the terrain which might be what you were aiming for but it just feels wrong. Needs to be smoother.

The vehicle just sticks to the ground too much and does not get thrown off course really by the terrain. Just bumps along until you change direction. You can pretty much just point it at a checkpoint, hit full throttle, wait til you get there and repeat.

I dont like hitting invisible walls at the edge of play areas.

It has great potential, but is not suitably finished to be a completed game that people would pay for IMO

As said Insane set the benchmark, and still has fantastic playability years on.

MadJack(Posted 2007) [#13]
ICECAP

Don't you just love it when the general public gets to maul your lovely project?

No install probs - however I didn't leave the run after installation checkbox ticked - ran it from start button menu (win2000).

Graphics are ok - landscape system seems quite clever. Did question why the landscape needed to be rebuilt when re-racing the same level.

Didn't have problems with the water (NvidiaGT7600)

Liked the music - suitable and exciting.

I didn't have an issue with the camera - in fact it got the idea across that it's rough terrain quite nicely. Having said that, I don't play a lot of racing games.

Thought the controls might be WASD. But arrowkeys ok.

'Everything menu wise is practically illegible to me, having to press my nose against the screen to read stuff is not what I want.'

It's not what he wants. Well, f.. , no - the menu text is a little small at the default res.

Would have liked to have seen a map - particularly for the stunts level.

At one point in the stunts level, I took a dive off a cliff and my wheels came off. Thought it'd be game over at that point, but I could keep on driving - as though my wheels were still connected!

The checkpoints are a little characterless - perhaps they could appear as the big red domes they are now from a distance, but a flag becomes visible as you get near. Likewise, when first starting the game, I was confused by the grey bubbles everywhere.

Boiled Sweets(Posted 2007) [#14]
Yes, I do know about this. There is supposed to be, but the setup program we use keeps removing that feature without asking us first. If you can recommend any good setup package creators, we would be open to change.

Innosetup is the thing to use. And free too. Also grab the free ISTool too.

Overall I really liked it just needs a bit more gameplay...

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2007) [#15]
Stay away from flash-only websites I say. Other than that, the project's looking promising.

KennethMcI(Posted 2007) [#16]
if youre gonna use flash for the website, put this code near the bottom of the body content ( after youve loaded all your flash items )

<script type="text/javascript" src="javascript/ieupdate.js"></script>

then take a copy of the code from my site:

http://www.iconmedia.co.uk/javascript/ieupdate.js

then upload it into your webspace in a folder named javascript.

thatll stop the boxes appearing round the flash objects and having to click to enable, then click to use - the flash buttons!

ICECAP(Posted 2007) [#17]
Thanks for that KennethMcI, i'll put it in when i have some spare time...

I was wondering if there was a way of disabling that.

I hate IE and don't use it, and thats just one of the reasons.