Tanks Online

Community Forums/Showcase/Tanks Online

Bankie(Posted 2007) [#1]
With internet tank games appearing to be all the rage recently (apparently), may I present to you Tanks Online. To my shock and astonishment it's featured on page 98 of this month's Retro Gamer magazine. It's a top-down multiplayer tank game along the lines of Combat (Atari) and Tanks (Wii Play, Nintendo Wii). Note that this game is and will remain freeware.

The current version (0.2) is far from complete but is fully playable (and hopefully fun) and has been stable on my own tests. There is no centralised management of active servers yet, so you'll need friends, one of whom will need to host the game. Everyone else then connects to his/her IP address. More details are included in the readme file.

Download it from http://www.bankie.com/games/tanks/tanksonline.php

Please let me know of any problems or general comments.

Xzider(Posted 2007) [#2]
Very cool...Maybe texture the missles/tank, you really do need a login server or main server, we host games,sends to main server and makes a list. That would be great. I love the particles for explosion.

Edit - Also, the scores are to close together... Looks like I had 1000 kills:)

Bankie(Posted 2007) [#3]
Server list: this is next to be done
Textures: Unfortunately my graphics skillz are pants so I can't improve this side of things much without some help
Scores too close: I realise this and will be setting this out a bit better, including titles, a change of font, the ability to show/hide them and put them in order of kills.

Thanks for giving it a try. It's particularly good to see that your comments didn't include any bug reports :)

Stevie G(Posted 2007) [#4]
Not bad. I think if you flatshaded the tank it would look nicer in a retro way.

One thing I noticed is that the bullets start in the middle of your turret - you should be generating them at the end of the barrel and add the speed of the tank.

Stevie

Bankie(Posted 2007) [#5]
I originally had the bullets originate from the end of the barrel, but this gave me collision problems (I'm using the Blitz ones). I'll tidy this up later.

Grisu(Posted 2007) [#6]
Nice game!

Add more stuff like destroyable walls e.g.