RetroTank3D (WIP)

Community Forums/Showcase/RetroTank3D (WIP)

gman(Posted 2007) [#1]
2005_05_04 Alpha Release (Windows)
2005_05_04 Alpha Release (Linux)

use arrow keys to move the tank

F1 -> Tank 1
F2 -> Tank 2
F3 -> Free Cam

---

here are some early screenshots of my game project RetroTank3D. Its a retro toon-style 3D remake of the tank portion of Atari Combat! a huge thank you to Nicholas Orth and Yavin for their modelling assistance.

JustLuke(Posted 2007) [#2]
Your pictures don't show up.

EDIT: Using IE7 on Vista.

MadJack(Posted 2007) [#3]
They do for me (IE5).

Amon(Posted 2007) [#4]
Nice. I still have this game and my Atari 2600. :)

A 3d version would be cool to play.

:)

stayne(Posted 2007) [#5]
Nice! I wore combat out back in the 80s. I think it came with the 2600? Bouncy shot for the win. I'd also like to see Adventure for the 2600 done in 3D as well :).

JustLuke(Posted 2007) [#6]
I wonder why I can't see the pictures? I'm quite curious about what this looks like.

Who was John Galt?(Posted 2007) [#7]
I'm really feeling this! Guess I'm a sucker for naf GFX! (Actually, they're quite good, in an ultra retro style)

Grey Alien(Posted 2007) [#8]
Weird looking 3D it's quite clever. Looks a tiny bit like that sort or cell-shaded graphics.

gman(Posted 2007) [#9]
thx for the comments :) its about time i actually _did_ something! this baby has been in my head as my starter project for a few years. over the last few months my vision is really starting to come together and i am nothing less than overjoyed on how its turning out. with all the beauty of todays graphics i really wanted to capture the simplicity and charm of a bygone era and by the initial responses im hitting my target :)

im shooting for a July release but will have a playable multiplayer demo hopefully late May, early June. the final will include the must have goodies such as bouncing shots, invisible tanks, and multiple arena layouts. also (obviously) the 70s color schemes :) while the original was seemingly random colors, i will have 20 preset schemes that will randomly be selected.

EDIT: @JustLuke - i think it was my hotlink protection. sorry about that.

@Grey Alien - thank you :) most of my time so far was spent getting a "look" that felt right. i really want it to feel like youre playing the original only in 3D. i was getting really frustrated not being able to implement my vision but then i removed lighting and bam! that was it :) its all rounded out by the funky 70s colors :)

Bankie(Posted 2007) [#10]
Hi, this is interesting, particularly as I am undertaking a very similar project albeit without the retro graphics. By "multiplayer demo" do you mean networked or on the same computer? If you're interested in what I'm doing feel free to email me: bankie at bankie dot com. Just didn't want to thread-jack.

gman(Posted 2007) [#11]
greetings Bankie :)

multiplayer demo

multiplayer as in networked. while in the end im hoping there will be same computer as well as single player, the first incarnation will be network playable. i have a couple of twists i want to put in there as well such as observers and 4-player team play (alternating in twos).

If you're interested in what I'm doing feel free to email me

i very much appreciate the offer! im going to hoof it in the hopes of learning as long as i can. if/when i get to a sticking point ill definately drop you a line :)

im so jazzed about this goofy project :) i finally created some engine sounds im happy with and implmented those... really made it come to life. im working on the sound transitions tonight (idle -> run and run -> idle) to make the sound flow more smooth.

gman(Posted 2007) [#12]
ok so i couldnt resist putting out an extremely early alpha. basically you can just drive tanks around. no collisions yet either. keycommands are above as well as ZIP file.

Trader3564(Posted 2007) [#13]
lol

Pete Carter(Posted 2007) [#14]
are you making the cel effect by making a second mesh of everything thats a bit bigger , giving it a black texture and flipping the normals of the larger mesh so it only shows at the edges?

gman(Posted 2007) [#15]
hi Pete :) yes that is the effect. back when i was experimenting with the look i had textures with a black border. it looked pretty good, but for some reason i really like how the black lines disappear at different angles with this technique. Irrlicht has a flipMesh() method that i use to get the inverted mesh.

stayne(Posted 2007) [#16]
Very cool man! I can't wait to see more progress.

sswift(Posted 2007) [#17]
This looks strangely familiar...

gman(Posted 2007) [#18]
thanks for the comments all :)

@sswift - ??

Blitzplotter(Posted 2007) [#19]
Spent a lot of time on 'combat' on the Atari myself, nice looking rendition of an old favourite.

sswift(Posted 2007) [#20]
gman:

Take a look at these pics of a game I was developing a while back, and you'll understand. :-)

Pic 1
Pic 2
Pic 3

I never completed the game, though I may yet go back to it eventually.

Trader3564(Posted 2007) [#21]
pics dont load :( 403?

Grey Alien(Posted 2007) [#22]
image links fail.

stayne(Posted 2007) [#23]
Just don't include the "3 small airplanes against one big jet" variation :). Anyone who played Combat a lot knows what I mean.

gman(Posted 2007) [#24]
@sswift - you should finish it :) looks fun! (go to the folder that the linked pics are in a scroll to find them)

@stayne - no worries. the tank portion is what consumed me as a child and what im after :)

sswift(Posted 2007) [#25]
Sorry about the pic links. They load fine here. That's odd.

http://sky.prohosting.com/scswift/images/

Fifth row up from the bottom, on the left.

Trader3564(Posted 2007) [#26]
hehe, funny how things get shape. this looks waaay better than whats posted in the first post. amazing to see the progress.

sswift(Posted 2007) [#27]
I hope you're not confusing my game with gman's. Gman is trying to make his look like the original Atari game and he's done a great job of that.

Btw gman, I have a suggestion for how you could improve the look of your game. Use colored outlines. If you set the outlines for each object to be the same color but half the brightness of each particular object's color, then it would probably look better than just having black outlines.

Stevie G(Posted 2007) [#28]
Love the retro look Gman.

@ Sswift, I remember 'Angry tanks' - that was a long time ago ;)

Sorry to go OT again but it seems like everyone's had a stab at this kind of game ..

Grey Alien(Posted 2007) [#29]
pimped

http://www.binaryjoy.co.uk/games/games-news/my-game-news/

sswift(Posted 2007) [#30]
Stevie:
It was around 2002 I think that I was working on that.

LineOf7s(Posted 2007) [#31]
sswift:

My credit card's still itching for an Angry Tank.

Watching and waiting. Watching... and waiting...

stayne(Posted 2007) [#32]
I sense this thread getting hijacked :)