Domino Toppler Early Demo

Community Forums/Showcase/Domino Toppler Early Demo

McSeb(Posted 2007) [#1]
*** WORK IN PROGRESS ***

This is still an early demo but I'd say it's complete enough for the showcase.

It's a game in which you place dominoes and then topple them over, you can position all kinds of supports and platforms to build complex topples. Handy tools like pause, rewind, load and save make it easy to build something cool. It's made in Blitzmax using MiniB3D and the JV-ODE physics wrapper.

In the final version you will be able to place devices like a cannon that you can trigger using pressure pads or laser trip wires. I also want to have the option to record the toppling and export it to a file that a screen saver I'll include will be able to read.

It's still in the early stages and I haven't finished adding stuff, It's more to give a feel of what it's like.

The mandatory screenies:

Download it from my website:
http://www.mcseb.ca/

Warpy(Posted 2007) [#2]
This looks really cool, but when the main window starts I get a load of windows errors saying "No Disk". Bummer.

Matty(Posted 2007) [#3]
I used to love doing these sorts of things as a kid with real dominoes - looks like fun. (I also used to like making domino 'fortresses' filling them with lego men then removing the bricks one by one until they toppled over...)

degac(Posted 2007) [#4]
Cool!!!
This is a KILLER game!!! I don't joke!! Refine it a bit and it should be a great game!!!
Very fun!!

Grey Alien(Posted 2007) [#5]
Yeah this looks great. My kids would love it and me too due to no mess.

Yeah get some objectives in there and a polished UI and it's a top game!

McSeb(Posted 2007) [#6]
Thanks, good feedback really makes it easier to keep pushing to finish it. I've made a lot of progress already and it's moving along steadily. I've got all kinds of ideas to plop in it and I've fixed most of the lag and crash issues.

I'll update once it's much closer to completion.

Trader3564(Posted 2007) [#7]
i can help if you want :) i would love to help you work on this game.

hockings(Posted 2007) [#8]
I've spent some time playing around with this. I've been hanging for a dominoes game like this for ages (dominoes seem to be in all the physics library demonstrations, but they don't come with an editor.) It's sooo much fun!!!!

Secondly I know you've said you've got lots of ideas, here are some suggestions if you'd like them...

1) I couldn't figure out how to start them toppling other than to place a whole heap of dominoes in the one spot. How about a "push" tool to start them falling
2) A way to get dominoes to default to set angles (eg. It would be good if you could hold down alt or something similar and have the direction of the domino change in 45 or 90 degrees increments)
3) A line tool so you don't have to trust a steady hand to get them in a straight line
4) A different modifier key to change the height of the dominoes
5) A way to put horizontal dominoes (i used to love having a horizontal on top of two verticals when making domino runs so you'd have a little falling tower of cards - then I'd make bigger towers with putting lots of these together and on top of each other).
6) Different coloured dominoes so you can make funky pictures that you can then collapse
7) Some default shapes - like a group of (eg. 10) dominoes making a quarter circle, half circle etc.
8) A reset and pause key. If you've put a few dominoes down and one of them is wrong and straight away starts everything falling when you reset, it's hard choosing the right collapsed domino to erase.
9) Possibly a grid so that you always place a domino the same distance away from those around it so you end up with a nice neat run.

Hope you find those ideas constructive - loving this so far and can't wait to see it develop further!!!! Great work!!!!

Grey Alien(Posted 2007) [#9]
pimped the game/engine for ya!

http://www.binaryjoy.co.uk/games/games-news/my-game-news/

Who was John Galt?(Posted 2007) [#10]
The big kid in me is itching for a go on this one.

McSeb(Posted 2007) [#11]
I've finally got a week vacation from work so I'll be progressing steadily, as I said, there's still a lot of work left to do.

@Gobbo: if you're really interested, I'll send you a mail this week and we can talk about it.

@Grey Alien: Thanks but I'd like to finish it first hehe...

@hockings: Thanks for the suggestions:
1) That's what I've been working on, any day now
2) Great Idea
3) It's already implemented, check the green button
4) Good Idea
5) Should be comming soon
6) I've been working on that, I want to make a painter where you just color the dominoes as if they were pixels, should be soon.
7) Easy to implement
8) There's already a reset and pause in the blue button, you can pause the physics, reset everything and move or delete stuff on the fly, then start it again.
9) Maybe, It's not really a priority right now

Trader3564(Posted 2007) [#12]
Hey McSeb, yes you can e-mail me about it. Im still looking forward to it.

hockings(Posted 2007) [#13]
McSeb, glad to hear your thoughts on my suggestions.
One other thing, with the camera I noticed a couple of issues.
1) As far as I could tell, there's no easy way to change your camera height. You have to rotate the camera to be looking down then zoom out to change your vertical height. A suggestion here - what about if the camera always moves around at the same vertical height (regardless of which direction it's pointing) and then have a height modifier slider or up/down keys?

2) If you change the camera to the birds-eye view from the menu, you can't change it back to a free-roam camera (or move it around in birds-eye view)

Cheers!
Shane

Yo! Wazzup?(Posted 2007) [#14]
Create not yet implemented things it will make it more fun! (Which, this game is so good that would normally be hard:P)

Fuller(Posted 2007) [#15]
It's hard to roatethings properly and it keeps knocking down my dominoes, otherwise this is cool!

McSeb(Posted 2007) [#16]
I made some progress, it's still alpha and far from complete but there's a lot of improvements:

- Increased framerate drastically
- Fixed memory leak when clearing stage
- Added See-Saw in Stationary Objects
- Added horizontal domino
- Added vertical camera control by holding Ctrl
- Mousewheel now rotates objects making it MUCH easier to place them
- Added finger tool to topple dominoes or push things
- Added pool table stage in addition to the basic wood table

Suggestions, comments and bug reports are appreciated. I'm working on the Devices and on implementing some sort of optional snapping grid to make placement easier.

Geehawk(Posted 2007) [#17]
Fun, fun, fun!

The object eraser needs to delete all dominoes created too IMO, like when you delete a stair or bridge, all the dominoes created should be removed too, rather than just fall to the ground.
A few more fixed paths like bends etc, rather than straight lines or freehand.
Currently you can create a nice stack of pool balls/marbles etc. by clicking in one place and they dont fall.

I might just be dumb but I cant figure out how to place dominos at different heights?? I try to put one on a stair and it just got stuck inside it and jittered around.

As mentioned above no way to get out of birds eye camera view.

This has great potential.

McSeb(Posted 2007) [#18]
Actually just try moving or rotating the camera once you repick ghost mode after bird's eye, it's works fine but I agree it should be clearer that it does switch back fine.
- Fixed: Should be clearer now.

I'll fix the balls, very very easy to fix.
- Fixed: Objects act funny when you try to make them occupy the same point in space and time, just like real life... You shouldn't be able to do that anymore.

Your right about the bends, I'll do that now.

Dominoes get placed at the height of the object they are positioned at, I.E. the height of the floor. You can't stack dominoes in mid air in real life either.

I'll look into the getting stuck in the stair thing.
- I could only cause that when I tried to put dominoes inside the side of a wall, try making sure to click on top of the step. Same principle as before, objects can't share same place in space at the same time.

Thanks for the Feedback !

Geehawk(Posted 2007) [#19]
Re the domino height thing.

I placed a stair, then moved it a bit. It moved, but its dominoes stayed in their original places and dropped down. Now I have empty steps. When I tried to place some back on the stairs it did not sit on top of the step but was stuck halfway in it jumping around.???
Obviously if the dominoes moved with the stairs this would not be a problem. ;-) in fact far nicer IMO.

You can also place platforms etc partially inside other objects.

Would also be nice when moving things for it to stay in its original place until you start to drag it. At the moment it jumps out of place when selected and so you have to start my moving it back to where it was before moving it to where you want it.

When deleting things it would be nice for the current object to be highlighted so you can see what it is you are going to delete before clicking it.

Oh and an Undo option would be very useful.

Yo! Wazzup?(Posted 2007) [#20]
Keeps crashing on me. Sometimes I just click and it closes.

McSeb(Posted 2007) [#21]
@Geehawk: Thanks for the feedback, I'll look at what I can do to improve the controls.

@Yo! Wazzup?: That's not good :( I'm aware that if you pile like 200 dominoes one inside the other (I.E. take the freehand tool and just scribble) but if it's something else that's bad.

I still have a lot to do...

Yo! Wazzup?(Posted 2007) [#22]
Yup. It's something else. :(
I guess I'll just have to save a lot. (unless you fix it - saving is what I'm currently doing.)