Newton Mario.

Community Forums/Showcase/Newton Mario.

(tu) sinu(Posted 2007) [#1]
UPDATE: 5th of may - added loads of cool stuff, please let me know what you think. changed to ver 0.03b

new dl link
http://mfgg.taloncrossing.com/index.php?act=Attach&type=post&id=2124933

screenie

IPete2(Posted 2007) [#2]
coolio - downloading now,

IPete2.

Grey Alien(Posted 2007) [#3]
Sounds cool but your screenie link is defunct.

big10p(Posted 2007) [#4]
What screenie link?

IPete2(Posted 2007) [#5]

Looks great - runs well - try pressing 1 loads of times and seeing if you can caryy the crates anywhere...fun fun fun.

Excellent work (tu) Sinu.

IPete2.

big10p(Posted 2007) [#6]
You mean that pictiger logo? That's not even clickable for me i.e. it's not a link at all.

(tu) sinu(Posted 2007) [#7]
think i fixed it.

caff_(Posted 2007) [#8]
works well here

boomboom(Posted 2007) [#9]
Can you upload it to another file hosting serive, rapidshare is notoriously bad at working

Grey Alien(Posted 2007) [#10]
yeah it's fixed now. Say this is neat!

(tu) sinu(Posted 2007) [#11]
updated demo with new objects.

Kev(Posted 2007) [#12]
very cool sinu.

(tu) sinu(Posted 2007) [#13]
Im thinking of making a minigame compilation demo, kind of like the games in virtua tennis or other party based games ie get as many mushrooms into your own basket before other players. Hitting targets in target based games or my favourite idea so far , flipping boxes over so color on top is your own.
I really love the idea of games that use physics for gameplay rather than just having physics.

Kev(Posted 2007) [#14]
sounds great, i loved crash bash on the playstation 1. this was one based on mini games. 'Pogo Pandemonium' was the coolest :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crash_Bash

(tu) sinu(Posted 2007) [#15]
I've got a million and one minigames i'd love to create, pogo pandemonium was fun, and with physics it opens up alot more of what is possible, like having cubes with colored sides and flipping them over instead of jumping on tiles.

For a collecting minigame everytime you collided with a collectable item it would be added to a piece of string behind you, if other players run over/into it they steal an item. At the timelimit player with most items wins, you could end up with massive tails of items behind you and trying to protect them would get very hard.

(tu) sinu(Posted 2007) [#16]
Just added a newer version with tighter collision, test level and some cool edge balancing on items.

IPete2(Posted 2007) [#17]
Sinu,

Fantastic demo - great work. I managed to get him stood on a star and a coin on one leg - brilliant! Very inspiring.

Newton seems very impressive - have you done any speed comparisons to ODE and Tokamak at all?

IPete2.

(tu) sinu(Posted 2007) [#18]
Ok i've done an update, added pushing, better jumping, and other refinements, see readme.

Let me know what you think.

IPete2(Posted 2007) [#19]
'tis a thing of beauty -

Pushing is great - adds alsorts of great possibilities for those minigames you were thinking about.

Love the dynamics, physics, the new demo has almost everything you'd need for a proper platformer.

Great stuff.

IPete2.

Kev(Posted 2007) [#20]
very cool sinu, its come along much better within the last couple of days.

i be keeping an eye on this :)

kev

(tu) sinu(Posted 2007) [#21]
There is alot more to come, i have a list of things that im adding, such as wall sliding, edge grabbing/climbing, wall sliding, wall jumping etc when im happy with those, i can start back work on the editor.

Grey Alien(Posted 2007) [#22]
I'll keep an eye on it then. Be happy to report it on http://www.binaryjoy.co.uk/ when it's more complete.

Trader3564(Posted 2007) [#23]
nice!
yo umust be good with b3d. its all so smooth.

Panno(Posted 2007) [#24]
like this :)

whats the NG*.dll version ??

(tu) sinu(Posted 2007) [#25]
i forgot i left that in the demos, it's version 3 but it's not used in the engine anymore. Newton does everything and more.

Trader3564(Posted 2007) [#26]
any change we could see the source code?

(tu) sinu(Posted 2007) [#27]
not really, sorry.

IPete2(Posted 2007) [#28]
Hey (tu) sinu,

So Newton does all your collisions now? Does that allow for the animated characters animation frames too?

Call me sometime :)

IPete2.

Kev(Posted 2007) [#29]

any change we could see the source code?

bah if only ;) but i concider that much work as gone into this to make the code free.

sinu you should wrap it all up and sell it as a platform library, i would be intrested im sure other would be also.

kev

(tu) sinu(Posted 2007) [#30]
Yes thats correct, all collision is done through newton now.

I don't understand you second question IPete2, explain please.

@kev, i was actually discussing this point with IPete2 and it is a possibility, just have to see how far i get with it.
The actual character control script is so simple to modify. It's totally different to the one i showed you IPete2, I made it super simple now, the only complicated stuff now is the movement code and thats not too bad either :-)

IPete2(Posted 2007) [#31]
What I mean is can Newton look after collisions for animated character meshes and scenery or are you using a separate collision set up for characters?

All I can say is that the handling is very 'tight' and impressive, it is pretty much perfect for a platformer fromwhat I have seen - the demos prove that really.

What Im interested in currently is the collision detection for animated characters, and strange shaped scenery. My current project has some specific issues with this and I am looking for a way forward with that, hence the question.

IPete2.

(tu) sinu(Posted 2007) [#32]
the characters are just using a capsule, however i have some other ideas i wanna try based on character collisions, just need to get to grips with newton better.

I think the feet system helps when moving on awkward shaped scenery, i'll give you a buzz when i get some free time.

IPete2(Posted 2007) [#33]
:)

Cheers!

IPete2.

Trader3564(Posted 2007) [#34]
if this engine is going to be sold, and it is good, i may buy it. so far it looks nice man :D
it would need platforms and ladders and stuff tough. (and elevators)

(tu) sinu(Posted 2007) [#35]
im trying to add everything to the engine, swimming, climbing, crawling, pickingup, throwing, equiping objects in hands etc.
framework is already layed down for it.

Kev(Posted 2007) [#36]
thats sounds cool sinu, hows easy would it be using your framework to add newton to level and character? can i see a little of your control script?

any chance this will be ported to max if you finish and make available the blitz3d version?

kev

(tu) sinu(Posted 2007) [#37]
tTe control script is the easy part, it just goes thru stages, first it checks for movement ie walking,running etc, then checks for the surroundings ie if you fall of an edge, then it checks for actions ie jump

Each stage changes the state so each stage can only run if the last stage put the character in the correct state ie if the surroundings check put the character into afall, then you obviously can't jump or pickup something in the action stage.

After all that it produces the final state that your character should be in and then you just run the right code. i'll post a simple source example, it's nothing special.
Its the checks like checking for ground or, what is in front that are not as simple.

I want to port it max, it's my main goal, just using blitz3d for protyping. The code is so easy for me to port and bmax gives me more power to do thinks i have to hack in. Might even port it to minib3d.

I will post a demo soon, with a lot more going on, more moves and stuff to do, oh, and a much improved control system using keyboard and mouse :-)

Dock(Posted 2007) [#38]
fantastic work on the demo.
Unfortunately a lot of blocks get trapped on their corner at a funny angle, but other than that it works brilliantly. I like the physics model of aligning the blocks, it should work well for a game.

JA2(Posted 2007) [#39]
(tu) sinu, how is this progressing?

(tu) sinu(Posted 2007) [#40]
its coming along slowly right now, i am trying to work on it but the real world is taking all my time, i hardly get on the pc right now.

SLotman(Posted 2007) [#41]
Wow, I'm impressed...! Let us see some source!!! Please? :)

(tu) sinu(Posted 2007) [#42]
The source is a pile of steamy mess right noow, i have newton and bvm intergrated and most stuff is done through scripts attached to objects ie characters.

There have been a lot of changes, im doing it so you can add multiple scripts to objects for more control so you could just add a script to a character to make them flash when hurt, one for movement and so on or you could stick it all in one script.

The latest version is 10x more impressive :-)