Invaders From Space (again)

Community Forums/Showcase/Invaders From Space (again)

chaos51(Posted 2007) [#1]
(OOPS no html here, how do I get the links and images in here???)

I've been sharing this with the retro remakes community a fair bit, but not here. I hope anyone likes it.

It's my attempt at a decent space invaders clone, but hopefully not infringing on the copyrights or trademarks.

It is fully called Oh No More Invaders from Space and can be found <a href="http://www.lodgia.com/moreinvadersfromspace/">here</a>

Here are some pics.

Its an ongoing project for quite a while now, and the graphics are not 3D hitech or anything.

The focus was on two things.
1.) Make the game look and feel Retro
2.) Make the game fun, instead of technologicaly advanced

Some technostuff has sneaked in over the time though, like online hiscores, and particles.

Initially, al effects were done in such a way that they should theoretically also be possible to run on an older machine like the Amiga for example. This hopefully gives a good retro feel to the game.

Gabriel(Posted 2007) [#2]
(OOPS no html here, how do I get the links and images in here???)

Just remove the html tags and it will happen automagically.

Siopses(Posted 2007) [#3]
Pretty flashy visuals, how long did this take to make!?

chaos51(Posted 2007) [#4]
Quite a while actually,

though much of the time was in waiting for a computer that was quick enough to run it, I was stuck on a very old pentium for quite a while after I started the game, and ran into the limits of the machine.

Also I abandoned the game quite early in the beginning, as my ambitions where way to high, as I wanted the Ultimate space invaders clone ever, with more features then you can swing a stick at.

The backgrounds where easy, as they are 99% free to use, NASA images, retouched for the game. The invaders are rendered with a old copy of Imagine (originally on the amiga), that part was actually not that time consuming. More time it took to finetune all the particles that are flying around when you shoot things.
Also I did waste a bunch of time on music scores, untill I found out I could absolutely not do any music. So at trhe end I did get some help to get the cool (i think at least) ingame music that there is right now.

Only late last year, I picked it up again, used a bunch of effects of some of my other games, and limited the features, so i could actually finish it.

Some months after I did twiddling, with trying to get a cool online highscore system.