Game of Brutal Koloboks

Community Forums/Showcase/Game of Brutal Koloboks

Matt Merkulov(Posted 2007) [#1]
You can upload archive with executable from here:
http://blitzetc.boolean.name/koloboks.rar
Source code is here:
http://blitzbasic.com/codearcs/codearcs.php?code=1999

I will start to develop 2D-engine soon (with tilemap editor and skin-type GUI for it). Some basic features are included in this small game. What do you think about game and its engine? Some helpful advices maybe?

Matt Merkulov(Posted 2007) [#2]
Some in-game screenshots:

Amon(Posted 2007) [#3]
Nice, but I read the title wrong. :)

slenkar(Posted 2007) [#4]
nice game, how do you move forward?

AltanilConard(Posted 2007) [#5]
Great game, I really needed this, thanks :)
Though it is very hard, as soon as the monsters get close to me they surround me and it takes ages to shoot one to death, well we got the source anyways.

@up:
you walk with WASD and aim with the mouse

Matt Merkulov(Posted 2007) [#6]
Controls:
WASD - move protagonist
Mouse - move target
Left mouse button - fire
Right mouse button - Force
Mouse wheel - zoom
Space - teleport

The goal is to collect 10 energy sources (they look like stars with black edges and you must break crates to get 'em)

Some advices:
* Try to avoid the kolobok crowds
* If you are taken in cricle - use Force and and immediately get out of the entourage
* If you have invulnerability, you can safely teleport anywhere away from the crowd
* Try to take speed and firepower at the same time, so you'll beat more enemies
* Before taking bombs, wait until koloboks cover it around
* Do not hurry to take firepower if koloboks are far, wait until they come closer
* When using firepower do not go deep in the diffuse mass of kolobkov - when the powerup expires and they move to you again you can be trapped
* Use zoom to determine where more boxes are situated, and then try to break them

Kolobok is a hero of russian short child fairy-tale. It's spherical like head without body, so our spherical personages can have the same name.

Matt Merkulov(Posted 2007) [#7]
nice game, how do you move forward?

Ìàóbe I'll add intro/congratulations/gameover/storyline screens, tile resolution/difficulty level selection, bullet avoiding for enemies, decals, sound, music. But I'll do it later (perhaps a month or two).