Community Forums/Showcase/gamebuilder

b32(Posted 2007) [#1]

I've been working on this project for a while
now, and I even used it for my 'GameDesign'
courses. The children liked the program, however,
even with a block schedule, not many children
liked coding .. can you imagine ? :D

Anyway, I would really like to show it, so I
wrapped the world editor up with a trial maker.
The 3d modeler (compound) is a complete version.
It can save (animated) .X files.

Here is the download: (4.496 kB)
http://members.home.nl/bramdenhond/gamebuilder.zip

(edit)
temp. help files:
http://members.home.nl/bramdenhond/help.pdf
http://members.home.nl/bramdenhond/world.pdf
(/edit)

I don't know what else to say, please try it and tell me
what you think .. I appreciate your feedback.

Chugs40(Posted 2007) [#2]
Looks cool, I will have to check that out later...

clownhunter(Posted 2007) [#3]
:O It's finally out. Must download... Been waiting awhile to see this. ;)

agent4125(Posted 2007) [#4]
It looks like the start of something cool, but it's really hard to use without some kind of instructions.

b32(Posted 2007) [#5]
Hmm, yes .. didn't think of that :/ .. I wrote some instructions on Compound.exe, in .pdf format.
http://members.home.nl/bramdenhond/help.pdf
It is not a definitive help, but it explains the basic functions.

For world.exe, I will write something, too. There is an example program (breakout). You can load it with the Load button in world.exe. To view it's code, press F10, to run it, press F5

[EDIT:]
http://members.home.nl/bramdenhond/world.pdf

SpaceAce(Posted 2007) [#6]
The Breakout game just results in a blank screen and a score in the upper-left that mysteriously increments itself.

Also, the "Settings" screen causes my mouse pointer to jerk and move VERY slowly.

SpaceAce

b32(Posted 2007) [#7]
Shrugs :S .. that doesn't sound too well .. I tested it on about 10 different PC's. I've had one complaint from somebody that the 'Basic' interface jerks .. maybe this problem is related..
Can you tell me .. in the main interface, is the screen black too ? I suppose it is a lighting problem.
[edit]uploaded a new version, hopefully it's better now.

SpaceAce(Posted 2007) [#8]
I just re-downloaded the demo and tried it again. The options screen thing seems to be fixed, my pointer wasn't lagging. The game, though, still doesn't play. Here is a detailed description of the matter:

- I start "world trial.exe", the interface loads fine.
- I click "Load" and then click on the only available file, which is Breakout.Brm
- I am presented with four views (Main, Top, Left, Front). The "Main" view looks like a standard breakout scene, with a paddle at the bottom and bricks above the paddle.
- I hit F5 and the screen goes black except for a score in the upper-left-hand corner which increments itself.

If I click "Zoom" in the main interface, the "Main" view changes to look a lot like the "Front" view. Then, if I hit F5, I get a screen where I can see a playing field and some bricks, with the ball flitting in and out of view, occasionally breaking a brick. I can only see three or four bricks, though, and I can't seem to interact with the game at all.

Edit: Yeah, it seems to be a camera issue of some sort. Do I need to do something to position the camera before playing?

SpaceAce

b32(Posted 2007) [#9]
Thanks for helping out, Spaceace. I will look into this. Because the world is visible in the editor itself, it is probably not a big issue. However, I need to compare the runtime code to the editor code to look for any differences, so it will take a while to figure out. Thanks for your detailled report, it is really helpful.

b32(Posted 2007) [#10]
Ahem .. it seemed the trialmaker I used caused the problem.
Man, I completely dissected the program before I found out .. Anyway, discovered another issue along the way ..
I've uploaded the normal version, it should work fine now.
I've also included a racing game :) .. well sort of ..
And if anyone wants a complete version, I can send it by email. I don't want to put it online yet.

SpaceAce(Posted 2007) [#11]
The Breakout game still gives me the exact same problems it did before. The racer game works, though, and is very cool.

SpaceAce

b32(Posted 2007) [#12]
Ah, nice .. at least that works then. Thanks, I would like to make more example games.
I think I found it now .. if so, then it was caused by a gimbal lock problem that differs from machine to machine.
With Breakout, the camera is placed in a 90 degree angle down. On some PC's this caused the runtime camera to be rotated in the opposite direction.
Thanks for your help! I've included you in the 'thankyou' list

SpaceAce(Posted 2007) [#13]
You're welcome, and thanks for the credit. I think your game builder is a neat project and I don't mind helping out where I can.

Did you upload the latest fix? I just downloaded the file again and got the same problem as before.

SpaceAce

b32(Posted 2007) [#14]
Ai .. I'm afraid that was the fixed version .. :/
May I ask .. if you turn the main camera a bit with pgup or pgdn, or move it with the cursorkeys, does it help ?

knight199(Posted 2007) [#15]
Both games work fine on my Dell Dimensions 4700

also I think this will help my older brother learn how to program in 3d,or at least get him started. Thank you for the download and yes I would like to try the full version.

knight_19_19@...

I will keep you posted if I find a bug as well.

SpaceAce(Posted 2007) [#16]
Actually, I don't think it was the newest version when I downloaded it last time. I just downloaded it again to be safe and there was one less file in the archive + the breakout game is working, now.

I think this is a fantastic project, excellent work. I remember way back when you first posted that you were working on this and I thought, "Another cool thing that will never get finished." I'm glad I was wrong, keep up the good work.

SpaceAce

b32(Posted 2007) [#17]
Ah! Cool .. I'm very glad to hear that. I was confused about what the problem could be. And I'm also very glad you like the project. Hopefully I will be able to finish it up soon. Thanks again for helping out, SpaceAce!
@knight .. I have sent you an email yesterday .. if it didn't came through, could you try to email me ? The address is in my profile.