Anomie v0.0.01a Available for download

Community Forums/Showcase/Anomie v0.0.01a Available for download

Jubal(Posted 2007) [#1]
Anomie is to be an online mmo that takes place in space in the far future. Meet people from all over the world, then try and kill em!

Current version only plays offline and is now available for download, click the launch button at http://anomie.noobgamers.com

If you wish to join the Anomie community please feel free to enlist in our comm area (forums)

SpaceAce(Posted 2007) [#2]
Am I missing something or are there actually no screenshots whatsoever on your game's site? Usually if I don't see screenshots, I just move right along.

SpaceAce

big10p(Posted 2007) [#3]
Usually if I don't see screenshots, I just move right along.
You're not alone, there.

GfK(Posted 2007) [#4]
Same.

Plus "v0.0.01a" is hardly screaming "DOWNLOAD ME I AM GR8!"

Jubal(Posted 2007) [#5]
Oops, actually yes there are screen shots, but they're still in the old forum. Give me a few minutes and I'll have them put up on the site.

Btw...you don't have to be such jerks when responding. Helpful critisism goes alot further than being an arse. But whatever makes you feel big in the online world.

big10p(Posted 2007) [#6]
Btw...you don't have to be such jerks when responding. Helpful critisism goes alot further than being an arse. But whatever makes you feel big in the online world.
What? :/

caff_(Posted 2007) [#7]
I tried it. My initial impressions (or criticism):

1. I had no idea what I was doing, but it did remind me of the original Elite. But I can't comment on gameplay.
2. I could fly through the earth (it took about 5 minutes to get there! But I made it)
3. The grey cockpit looks a bit ugly - less cockpit and more space would be nice, and make the instrumentation fairly transparent to give it a slick feel.
4. The stars aren't very interesting.
5. Flying - when you turn, it's very rigid - most space games have a more fluid feel, like you turn gently at first, then when you stop pressing down the keys, the turning slows down.
6. Mouse control - surely this game is begging for primary mouse control. I was a bit surprised I had to use the keys. But I see you are planning to add it in - I would make it the default.
7. Earth looks quite nice at distance but not close up, maybe you can 'switch' the planets with a high res (more detailed sphere) when you get close enough.

It could be good as an online concept - I'd love to see a MMO Elite-style trading / combat game done properly. So good luck with it.

GfK(Posted 2007) [#8]
The comments are actually very constructive.

Try taking the comments on-board. That way you might get more than one reply.

Jubal(Posted 2007) [#9]
Sonic,
1) I'm in the process of working on an ingame help system, currently there is one available on the web site though it's still pretty basic.
2) Yes I am aware of that, I've addressed it in the forums as being on my todo list to add gravitational effects for large spacial objects (such as earth and moon.)
3)Unfortunately I'm a coder not an artist. I do have some artists working on the graphics though. Should be nice by the actual full release :)
4)I agree, I plan on replacing the way that the backdrop is currently handled (also on my todo list on the forum.)
5)I'll look into that, I use a flightstick when I play, so haven't spent as much time on keyboard control as I should
6)Actually mouse flight is available using the mouse, you have to press Alt + M to activate mouse flight.
7)Again I'm not an artist :) But I do have plans on using LOD models for the final release.

I appreciate your input and is exactly the type of input I was looking to get, perhaps you would like to check out the forum to keep up to date on the progress. http://anomie.noobgamers.com/forum

Jubal(Posted 2007) [#10]
Gfk, it was the way they were presented. I never intended the post to make people say "OMG WHAT A GREAT GAME." It was intended to receive the critisism such that I received from Sonicfactory. The screen shot issue was a simple oversite, perhaps it could have been presented in a way such as:

"A few screenshots might be helpful"

or something of that nature, rather than the way it was presented.

Btw, there is a gallery page added to the site now, so ultimately the initial replies did point out something that was indeed quite lacking.

SpaceAce(Posted 2007) [#11]

Lol, wow... My comment was both polite and constructive. I even allowed for the fact that I might have simply missed the screenshots. As you can see by the responses after mine, screenshots are important if you want people to actually try your project.

SpaceAce

Jubal(Posted 2007) [#12]
Yes spaceage, you're correct. I honestly had no problem with your statement, But yours was in truth the only of the three initial responses that in my opinion weren't simply said in pure arrogance.

Unfortunately just like most other people out there, I tend to read and respond to the last thing that was said. I should have excluded your comment from my response, for that I owe you an apology, I do appreciate the fact that you pointed out that I had forgotten the screen shots.

Boiled Sweets(Posted 2007) [#13]
Thats some version number : I'll wait till it's on 0.9.9.9b

stayne(Posted 2007) [#14]
Some people are more sensitive than others. Try to keep that in mind when replying :).