Deeper Dungeons Hi Res Download Available (90 MB)

Community Forums/Showcase/Deeper Dungeons Hi Res Download Available (90 MB)

Matty(Posted 2007) [#1]
Hello all,

Downloading of "deeper dungeons" hi resolution version is now possible. See this thread for a few more
details:

http://blitzbasic.com/Community/posts.php?topic=68612

Further description and downloads are available from

http://home.people.net.au/~Matthew.Lloyd/

Thanks,

SoggyP(Posted 2007) [#2]
Hello.

That's quite nice, in a good old fashioned wonder around and twat stuff kinda way.

A couple of niggly things:
- Collision detection between your character and the walls is not great, as you're able to wander through them in places;
- The doors are sometimes not clear, and you seem to wander off into nothing before either a level loads or you just batter up against nothing;
- Wasn't sure what to do about getting health back;
- It seemed that if you wanted to you could just run around the different rooms, power up and get wealthy without actually fighting anything;
- Sword swinging seems a bit speedy, animation ways. Repeatedly pressing the space bar makes it look a little wierd;
- Sometimes you could repeatedly swing your sword and the beasty underneath you can't get to his feet.

Please take the above as constructive, cos it's a nice little romp around.

Goodbye.

Grey Alien(Posted 2007) [#3]
This seems to be getting better, it still needs more but I'm watching it with interest...

GfK(Posted 2007) [#4]
Download is about 10x too big for me.

Anything that takes more than a couple of seconds to download, and I generally don't bother. Sorry. Maybe you need a smaller download? 90mb is silly.

Matty(Posted 2007) [#5]
Thanks for the feedback,

Hi SoggyP - I agree about the collision detection - that's easily fixed though fortunately as I did not draw the collision maps very accurately, I just need to redraw them. Same goes for the doors they're easily fixed too (so will have to get around to doing them). Regarding health - you can't get health back, I tried it once before having health being restored slightly for each monster killed but in the end it meant the player, if they were good, could go on indefinitely. You *could* just run around the different rooms and avoid the monsters but guaranteed you won't get as good a score. I'll look into the sword thing. Thanks for your constructive feedback though.

Hi Grey - it is improving as I go, thanks. Since you've completed and polished many games I'd love to hear from you more as to what it needs to be a 'complete' game (keeping in mind I want it to remain a simple game) - if you are willing then give me an email some time perhaps?

Hi GfK - a smaller download is available (26MB - all graphics halved in width & height) but sounds like that would be too big for you as well. It's a pretty tight fit into that 90MB as it stands, the only ways I could reduce the download would be to perhaps remove frames from the characters' animation sequences - I'd rather not do that though as I quite like the smooth animations. The character graphics are also about the same size as equivalent png images.

Thanks,

Matty

Reactor(Posted 2007) [#6]
A few random thoughts...

-I had fun tottering around wacking things :) The problem for me was, most of the time I could just hold down the mouse button and wack what would walk up to my character. Sometimes I'd lose 1 health and other times nothing. So, it wasn't all that exciting. At no time did I feel as though my character was actually at risk of dying, except by the one or two health he'd sometimes lose when an enemy struck me as I struck them. Perhaps higher damage and a block would make gameplay more dynamic?

-Nice use of Poser models ;) The main character's sword swing did look a bit strange though...

-I agree with what others have said about collision, but I'm sure you'll touch that up in time.

-The music was good... it suited the game quite well.

One thing I'm curious about- the size. What format have you used for everything? Also, what size is the background image for your levels?

Matty(Posted 2007) [#7]
Hi Reactor, thanks for the constructive criticisms.

I agree with you that it can be a little unexciting when you just hold the mouse button down. I think the way I can fix that would be to have the enemies try and 'outflank' the player so that they attack from multiple directions, I'm not sure how easy it would be but I think I'll have to put it in. There is a setting I left on by default which makes the combat easier but it does result in what you've experienced. This part is something I'll have to work on.

Poser is a great resource for 2d characters.

Collision - will be fixed.

Music - the music is actually temporary at the moment. It is a song found on modarchive but have been unable to track down the author, so I probably should not have included it..

The background images are all 2048x1536 (png format) - although I could use jpgs for them which would drop the size of the level by a few MB.

The sprites are my own format which is similar in size to a png image that would fit the bounding box of all frames of animation for the sprite.
As an example - the 'demon' has 960 frames of animation with each frame about 350x350. If left as uncompressed tgas that comes to 448MB but I store only non transparent pixels and it fits within 50MB then.

Damien Sturdy(Posted 2007) [#8]
960 frames? Duddee..... :)

Matty(Posted 2007) [#9]
There's a good number of animation frames in there, here is a small listing:

Demon - 960 Frames 448MB
Black Knight - 800 Frames 190 MB
Ghost Frames - 648 Frames 154 MB
Goblin - 920 Frames - 219 MB
Player Knight - 1600 Frames - 381 MB
Warlock - 1040 Frames - 247 MB
Skeleton - 800 Frames - 190 MB

For a Total Of 6768 Frames of Animation
for a total of (uncompressed) - 1829MB of images
Obviously they are not stored like this in the download - the above figure is for a TGA image for each frame with the smaller creatures at 250x250pixels and the Demon at 350x350. (Nor are they stored like this in game time - although the game does use about 160MB of system memory when running and will run on a system with a 32MB video card).

There are other animations as well but these are the main ones.

Reactor(Posted 2007) [#10]
I know this has already been suggested but... a few less frames (or a lot) would be a good idea. If you stare at your sprites for long enough you'll really start to see any less frames as being jerky movement, but for people who haven't developed the game, it's hard to notice ;) Leaving movement up to the imagination (somewhat) can often be just as good as having a ton of frames... since the brain is excellent at filling in the things you don't.

Unrealistic movement or poses can be much worse than jerky movement.