Pogo Fred Demo

Community Forums/Showcase/Pogo Fred Demo

Raz(Posted 2007) [#1]
http://www.evildrbin.com/pogofred_uni/

There is still alot I want to do with this, but the deadline for the uni project was today and this is what I handed in.

Thanks once again to anyone who gave me feedback before and helped answer a few threads I made :)

Ta!

SpaceAce(Posted 2007) [#2]
Hey, it's about time! I've been wondering what happened to this project.

SpaceAce

Grey Alien(Posted 2007) [#3]
Hey this looks great, I'll have to try it later (on the Mac at the moment). So when you did the scrolling did you draw your tiles at integer or floating point coords?

agent4125(Posted 2007) [#4]
Wow, great job! The intro and cut scenes are very cool and the whole game has a lot of personality.

A couple of quality issues though, like tearing in full screen mode. Some of the sound levels could be balanced better, but overall this is quite an accomplishment. Congrats. =)

Raz(Posted 2007) [#5]
Space: Thanks for having an interest in it :)

Grey: Floating point. I will be looking to compile it for Macs soon, just need to find someone willing to do so for me

Agent: Thanks for the feedback, yeah there is alot wrong with it because I ran out of time but I will note every issue I am made aware of and make hopefully sort everything out.

Edit> The tearing issue is a tough one, its not something I've been able to produce on any of the machines I have at home, but I know a few others have been having it. Any ideas? (graphics are just set to 60hz on init with the standard flip() command used throughout)

Nathaniel(Posted 2007) [#6]
Good job!

I played several levels. Very nice. How many levels are there total?

I had the "tearing" problem too... (it's distracting)

kfprimm(Posted 2007) [#7]
Raz,
I'm having the same issue. Try Flip(1) instead. Could you give that a try and then upload that version (just the exe, nothing else) so we could test it?

Raz(Posted 2007) [#8]
yeah sure, thanks for the feedback :) 2 secs....

Raz(Posted 2007) [#9]
Ok I've set it to flip(1), I hope it sorts it!

http://www.evildrbin.com/pogofred_uni/download/PogoFred_exe.zip

bubble: Only 10 in the demo im afraid!

kfprimm(Posted 2007) [#10]
Somethings wrong with it, i only get a black screen.

Raz(Posted 2007) [#11]
sorry to be a pain, could you rename or delete config.dat and try again?

kfprimm(Posted 2007) [#12]
sorry i've taken so long but i'm happy to report that i believe that fixed the tearing problem. However, you'd best wait for others to try. And, yes, removing the config file made it work.

Grisu(Posted 2007) [#13]
Great Demo! Well done. I like it very much... :)

Please make sure that you delete all unneeded files from a later release like "Thumbs.db" and "pspbrwse.jbf".

Raz(Posted 2007) [#14]
thanks, Khomy!

Grisu, thanks and good point, I'll sort that out today!

Andy_A(Posted 2007) [#15]
I'm with Grisu, congrats on a fine demo and a job well done. I especially liked the Flash graphics at full screen size (not a tiny postage stamp sized window). :)

Torrente(Posted 2007) [#16]
Awesome game, and I love the graphics as well!

The only thing I did not like was a lack of save points... i.e. lose a life, start all over again. That's about my only gripe though, good job on getting this done.

Raz(Posted 2007) [#17]
Cheers Andy :)

Torrent: Thanks, save points were planned but I ran out of time in the end, this will be in place for the full thing though, thanks for trying it!

Grey Alien(Posted 2007) [#18]
So which Blitz did you use? Ah just checked and it was Bmax. So if Flip 1 solved the problem, were you using Flip -1 or Flip 0 before?

kfprimm(Posted 2007) [#19]
He was using Flip -1, the default.

Grey Alien(Posted 2007) [#20]
Ah yes, that's not so hot.

Réno(Posted 2007) [#21]
LOL, very fun !

I played about 15 minutes for the first time after the install.

My computer is set with Vsync ON and at 60hz for all resolutions : the game is smooth ( rare for 2D games nowdays on computer ).

I like :
- all songs are great, and I saw that you "coded" them in XM, nice !
- the cut scenes are great, very funny.
- collisions work nicely, no bug !
- difficulty is progressive, good work.
- the game is fun, it remembered me the old good time when games were good and artistic...

What should be better :
- please... GAME PAD SUPPORT... it's easy to add it !!!!!!
- the sound effects are discrete... you should work them to give a better feeling to the game.
- On the first two levels, I didn't see power-up, and not too much ennemis... I don't know, maybe there are more later in the game.
- when starting the game, it's not easy to find the good key in the widowed configuration to run it :/
- add check points.
- make animations when killing ennemis ( eyes closed, ennemis crying, ennemis explosions, etc ).

Good work !

;)

Raz(Posted 2007) [#22]
Thats great Réno cheers, very useful stuff there! :)

I'll look to add everything you've suggested soon(ish)

Thanks again.

Grey Alien(Posted 2007) [#23]
Hey neat I finally got round to playing it. I remember this from the demo a long time ago. You've certainly improved it a lot!

The intro is cool along with the old style game. Also the options screen and how to start a game is novel. One thing, on the save file select screen, it wasn't obvious to me that I needed to carry on going left to play the game...

I see that you never resolved that funny white line issue round the hole + light inside the cave.

Yeah I asked about the BMax scrolling because I found in my scroller that some tile edges would "wobble" as the game scrolled and I can see that you have the same issue in yours. Apparently you can get round this by using a "mesh" but I haven't done that yet.

I really think some checkpoints (frequent ones, especially early on) could really help. The first level is quite punishing for a novice. It would be more fun to just play the game and have less dangers until later on. People won't get frustrated and will play it for longer then.

I think the jump sound effect has a little crackle in it. At least I heard crackles on my system, it may have been when more than one sfx was playing at once.

Anyway, this is a really good game and I bet it took a LOT of hard work. It's nice to see people making platfomers in Blitz :-)

Raz(Posted 2007) [#24]
Thats a great post too, thanks grey :)

I'm thinking of rewriting the whole thing (shouldn't be too tough because Im not learning as I go this time!) so I will def have to look at the mesh thingamy.

It's a good point about the level difficulty too, I'd say level design is probably the part I struggled with the most but I've learnt a few things with that too and hope to make chapter two reflect this.

I'd like to think I put a fair bit of work into it, but at the same time it was alot of fun, which is a bonus as it will hopefully count towards my degree!

Grey Alien(Posted 2007) [#25]
wow a rewrite, well if you get the mesh think working, let me know!

Sometimes I think that game designers should make all the levels EXCEPT the start ones, then they can go back and make these at the end so that they are the BEST ones based on the skills learning during the design process.

I still think that to get more people to play it for longer your initially levels need to be more about exploring than falling to your death ;-)

Tachyon(Posted 2007) [#26]
Nice! Very well done.

caff_(Posted 2007) [#27]
Really nice game.

spacerat(Posted 2007) [#28]
Fantastic intro, having the fake game bit at the start is a great idea. Game runs very smoothly and the graphics is very nice. I couldn't even do the first level though, but I kind of suck at games like this :(

I like some of the extra touches you have put in too, the fans in the levels, the smooth scrolling, the menu system, the awesome music, and even the way the background scrolls slower than the rest of the level all adds to the effect.

The only problem I found is that apparently, it is impossible to change to full screen, and to change the window size, after you have set it the first time... maybe I'm wrong but if there is a way it doesn't seem very obvious.

Aside from that the game is great, keep up the good work!

Raz(Posted 2007) [#29]
thanks (again) everyone :)

Spacerat: Thanks for the feedback! If you go to where you installed the game and delete config.dat it will ask you again on start up (I'm gonna add a proper ingame config screen i just ran out of time)

JazzieB(Posted 2007) [#30]
Was going to give this a go, but get an error telling me it's failed to load a/some font(s). I get the feeling you're trying to use fonts from the Windows directory and have hard coded the paths/filenames? I dual boot with XP and Vista (being my main OS) and neither sit on the C: drive (don't ask, some weird drive re-assignment when I last re-installed!).

Raz(Posted 2007) [#31]
ooer thats strange, nopes I included the fonts I used in the fonts directory...

Global Font_Large:TImageFont = LoadImageFont( "Fonts/fat_free_solid.ttf", 28, SMOOTHFONT )
If Font_Large = Null Then Notify "Font not loaded"

JazzieB(Posted 2007) [#32]
Don't worry. I'm being stupid. I saw the slightly updated version further down the thread and just downloaded that, without realising I needed the full download from your site as well! Not tried it yet, so I'll let you know what I think in a bit.

EDIT...

First of all, I think this is very well done. Everything seems to fit nicely together ... the graphics, sounds, music. I think the introduction to the game is a brilliant idea (the really retro style play, leading to the guy being sucked into the game). It also runs very smoothly under both XP and Vista, although there is a delay when sound effects are played under Vista, which I was surprised to see/hear as you seem to be using FMOD, which is present in the game folder.

Chugs40(Posted 2007) [#33]
Thats a fun game! I like your scrolling engine - smooth! I will keep it around for a while, my kids will have fun with it! Sound/music was good, everything worked good on my machine.

The only thing I don't like is having to completely start a level over at death. Check points etc would be nice.
Music still played when minimized - I seem to suffer the same problem with my bmax games :(

Good work! :) I may play it a while longer...

Chugs40(Posted 2007) [#34]
Try using 'Incbin' for your fonts and they will be stored in your app.

big10p(Posted 2007) [#35]
I love the intro on this. :) I only got to see it once, though. :(

For me, the scrolling is mega jerky: when scrolling into a new area, there's like a 1 second pause, or something. Maybe not enough VRAM? I only have 32MB.

I found the controls a bit tricksy to master, too.

I like the interactive frontend but: Pogo Fred was jumping/moving way too fast - maybe I should try the new exe? Also, I dont like the fact that you just jump on the controls to change stuff. It's very fiddly and annoying, TBH. I ended up with my music/sound settings all over the shop. I suggest you use the attack button to actually alter stuff.

Great stuff, though. A game with personality - a rare thing. ;)

Chugs40(Posted 2007) [#36]
Are you going to release this to any shareware site/portals?

If you do, check out my portal and submit a PAD file here -> http://www.hsretrogames.com/gamesportal.htm