Boing - My first BlitzMax game!!!

Community Forums/Showcase/Boing - My first BlitzMax game!!!

u2o(Posted 2007) [#1]
Have a look at my first attempt at a game using Blitz Max. It's a little pointless, but was a good learning curve to figure out Blitz Max. Some Blitz Max do's and don’ts, what works good and also some things that are not so great (ViewPorts! (But I found a great workaround!!!))

The idea of the game is to guide your crystal around the arena and avoid hitting the other balls, pick up the powerups / powerdowns and survive for as long as possible.

I am sure there are many things I could do to make the game better, such as high scores (even net scores) but maybe in an update? This game I feel was my intro to Blitz Max.

Have a play and let me know if you find any bugs. Suggestions all taken on board for when and if I do an update.

Download it here: http://www.plusnetu2orange.plus.com/blitzmax/Boing.zip

Now... on to my next game! :)

SebHoll(Posted 2007) [#2]
That's actually a really nice game - I'm really rubbish at it but it's a simple idea and addictive maybe because of it.

Well-done!

Stevie G(Posted 2007) [#3]
Not bad for a first effort. Like Seb I'm pish at it though!

Jake L.(Posted 2007) [#4]
Nice game! The background makes me sick, though.

One point: Seams your game ignores my sound-settings and played at 100% - got a heart-attack at startup ;)

Grey Alien(Posted 2007) [#5]
can you post a screenshot please?

caff_(Posted 2007) [#6]
It's evil! I played it many times and it stressed me out :)

(good start though)

AJirenius(Posted 2007) [#7]
Yeah, simple and fun. Congrats to your first game.
I got 17/24 so far ;)

SpaceAce(Posted 2007) [#8]
I scored 28/28, whatever that means. I like the catchy Mario-style theme music.

SpaceAce

Boiled Sweets(Posted 2007) [#9]
Damn, that was going to be my next game.

I'll do it any how methinks :-)

Matty(Posted 2007) [#10]
I scored 51/30 but don't know if that is good or bad - I simply stayed in the top left corner and avoided the balls when they occasionally moved near me.

One thing - in on game I picked up the yellow thing and my ball became smaller but the collision radius seemed to be the same as it detected a collision when the balls were still about 30 pixels away.

tonyg(Posted 2007) [#11]
168/45 on my S3 laptop and the game simply restarted. I was losing interest 'cos it was slow so, I guess, this isn't framelimited so ran more slowly on my machine than on those poor saps who got under 50.

Paul "Taiphoz"(Posted 2007) [#12]
yeah that's cool..

Nice and simple with a twist of addictive flung in for good measure. I also like the artwork.

Nathaniel(Posted 2007) [#13]
That is fun! Very addictive. I turned the sound on after I died and thinking the music was quiet, I turned my speakers all the way up then started playing...

It freaked the heck out of me!
:)

Congradulations...

u2o(Posted 2007) [#14]
Many thanks for the feedback. Sorry about the sound suddenly screaming out of your speakers, it’s a good point to remember for my next game (which is in the planning and ideas stage).

I have found an small irritating bug which rarely happens, but sometimes the balls will collect against one edge of the boundaries. I know what is causing it, so I will fix it. The scoring is poor, so this is also something else that needs to be addressed.

Boiled Sweets: I look forward to seeing how it’s done properly :)

Many thanks again

Boiled Sweets(Posted 2007) [#15]
@u2o,

hey thanks, but yours is cool too.