New Alien Space Beetles test - With sound effects!

Community Forums/Showcase/New Alien Space Beetles test - With sound effects!

sswift(Posted 2007) [#1]
Click here to download!

Here's the latest version of my game. I've been testing all sorts of gameplay stuff and I think I've got it to a rather fun state.

When the aliens fly across the screen before hovering at the top of the screen... That right now is just one way one of them might fly. There will be lots of different patterns they will fly in. For example, they might fly in a circle before leaving the screen to appear at the top and hang out there. Or they might fly diagonally. Some of them like the asteroids will just fly from top to bottom. Another one will fly across the top holding a powerup and if you shoot it the powerup will fall so you can collect it. These things aren't implemented yet, but there's a bunch of neat stuff to see in there already.

If you browse the subdirectories of the game, you can see other art that is not yet being used in the game.

Demo runs in fullscreen, so if you haven't been able to run the game fullscreen in past versions, you won't be able to run this version. I might make a version that starts windowed later if someone wants it.

Mouse button controls:
Left = Fire
Middle = Spawn aliens
Right = Switch Weapons

You may also use spacebar to spawn aliens, and the first nine weapons are selectable with the number keys.

My current plan for the weapons is that you will have your ship's blaster which may be upgradeable, but most of the weapons you will be able to access by conscripting aliens to fight alongside your ship. They'll orbit it, and fire when you fire, and the weapons they fire will be the same ones they normally fire, so you can use their own weapons against them.

PS:

Let the slime bullets hit your ship once. :-)
Also, let the aliens hang out for a little while on the grid, and they'll start to dive bomb you.

John Pickford(Posted 2007) [#2]
Nice. I did confuse the bigger stars with enemy bullets quite a bit.

caff_(Posted 2007) [#3]
Works here. I pressed 'space' hundreds of times and the collision detection seemed to fail - either that or I was hitting stuff in the background... not sure.

Nice animation.

sswift(Posted 2007) [#4]
Collision detection shouldn't fail, it uses the standard commands... But I'll look into it.

I'm aware of the issue with the stars. Looks nice in my mockup screenshots, but I'm probably gonna have to size the stars down a bit, slow them down, or make them less bright or some combination of the above to correct that problem.

Grey Alien(Posted 2007) [#5]
Neat. yeah the stars have gotta change. Hey are you going to be able to go up and down too?

sswift(Posted 2007) [#6]
I put the ability to move around freely back in this morning, but it didn't feel right. Too easy to dodge alien fire just by hanging out at the top of the screen for one thing. I'll keep experimenting with it though.

One thing I think I'll try is move the ship down some and remove a row of aliens on the bottom, cause they're just too close together right now.

Chroma(Posted 2007) [#7]
Maybe have an alien that can shoot in 360 degrees as opposed to just straight down? You might already be doing this. I can't test this out till I get home.

sswift(Posted 2007) [#8]
This is really geared towards the casual gamer crowd. I don't want to make a danmaku. :-)

JazzieB(Posted 2007) [#9]
Pretty much the same comments that everyone else has made. One thing to be aware of though is that the default FreeAudio drivers aren't great under Vista, as there is a one second delay on a lot of systems. Best to use DirectSound instead. I actually have a Vista check in my games and default to DirectSound if running under Vista, otherwise I keep it as FreeAudio.

*(Posted 2007) [#10]
Didnt run too well on me Via C7-M laptop with S3 graphics seemed very sluggish

sswift(Posted 2007) [#11]
I had some kind of odd slowdown issue on my own laptop but I think I fixed that. I'll check it again.

Paul "Taiphoz"(Posted 2007) [#12]
none of the bullets hit any of the aliens... is that normal.

some bullets went out of the bottom of the screen and not up . again not sure if thats supposed to happen.

Duel core AmD 64.
1 gig ram
GF 7600 GST

sswift(Posted 2007) [#13]
Yavin:
The lasers you start with hit the aliens. As do the missiles. So weapons 1 and 2. And yes, the other bulelts firing out the bottom is normal. The weapons are still being coded, and those are alien weapons, not ship weapons, so they shoot downwards.