Interstellar Highway 1.00 (build 17)

Community Forums/Showcase/Interstellar Highway 1.00 (build 17)

Boiled Sweets(Posted 2007) [#1]
Lots of new stuff, improvements, fixes and tweaks...

Interstellar Highway is a modern homage to the BBC Model B classic arcade style game Space Hiway. Interstellar Highway is a simple yet highly addictive game that will keep you entertained over and over again as you try to keep pesky aliens in check.

Interstellar Highway is not your usual run of the mill shoot as fast as possible game. You have to employ a little more guile and patience to really succeed.

Interstellar Highway is also unlike most 'shoot-em-ups' as it features 3D models, that explode into shards, rather than plain old boring 2D sprites fashioned to look 3D! Interstellar Highway also features beautiful particle effects and an original spacey sound track.

Are you ready for the challenge? Can you overcome the unwelcome aliens? Download a free demo and stop those aliens now!

The original...

Interstellar Highway

http://www.boiledsweets.com/Highway/

H&K(Posted 2007) [#2]
Thats rubbish, it looks nothing like the original ;)

JoeRetro(Posted 2007) [#3]
I can't open the zip file. It appears to be corrupted.

Grisu(Posted 2007) [#4]
Same here... :(

Boiled Sweets(Posted 2007) [#5]
Tested archive and re-uploaded. Please try again.

JoeRetro(Posted 2007) [#6]
Still no go...

Boiled Sweets(Posted 2007) [#7]
I reckon it must be that I'm using a later version of Winzip than you are.

Boiled Sweets(Posted 2007) [#8]
RIGHT! PLEASE TRY AGAIN!!!!!!!

Grisu(Posted 2007) [#9]
Working now...

Some points from my side:
- is there a way to change the resolution?
- installer script has a bug: the shortcut to the game isn't set correctly in the windows quick launch bar.
- it would be nice if the same menu background was displayed when a level is loaded. The plain black somewhat CUTS DOWN the smoothness.

Boiled Sweets(Posted 2007) [#10]
@Grisu,

thanks for the feedback...

- is there a way to change the resolution?

Next version will support 1024*768, 1280*1024 and 1440 * 900 (widescreen)

- installer script has a bug: the shortcut to the game isn't set correctly in the windows quick launch bar.

Will fix - ta.

- it would be nice if the same menu background was displayed when a level is loaded. The plain black somewhat CUTS DOWN the smoothness.

Okey dokey - nice one - ta.

JoeRetro(Posted 2007) [#11]
Finally! I can play!

- game ran nicely on my machine
- I didn't have/see any problems
- love the explosions
- it proved difficult to lineup and shoot aliens that did not move in x/z direction because of mouse sensitivity
- would like to see mouse sensitivity setting
- short demo (only 3 levels) I wanted more!

Well done Boiled!

Boiled Sweets(Posted 2007) [#12]

- would like to see mouse sensitivity setting

You cannot move the ship with the mouse!

- short demo (only 3 levels) I wanted more!

The full version is merely £5. Go on you deserve it...

JoeRetro(Posted 2007) [#13]
dunno why I said mouse...hmm...I meant keyboard controls (Left/Right arrow) :)

anyhow...good stuff...keep it up!

Grey Alien(Posted 2007) [#14]
Gonna try this out now :-) btw, it says you give support for the full version. Personally (and maybe you do this anyway) I'd give support for the demo as it'll help you find out any technical problems...

Grey Alien(Posted 2007) [#15]
Cool not bad, very nice explosions and menus etc. You are really making good use of the 3D card for all the polish etc. Glad to see you are getting use of that mouse pointer. Do you think you'll ever apply yourself for a concentrated period of time into make a really top level retro style game (with more contect) that you can hit the more arcadey portals with e.g. Reflexive, Retro64 and Arcadetown? You've certainly got the skillz. That's not supposed to detract from your current work, sorry if it sounds that way.

Oh and you ripped off my mouse over button sound effect...;-) There's no mistaking it, I've probably heard it about ooh 100,000 times over the last 2 years.

Boiled Sweets(Posted 2007) [#16]
@JoeRetro, you got it - coming in next version...

@Grey

what do you mean a really top level retro game? Please give examples...

Hey yeah that mouse cursor continues to rock!

Oh and the sounds were the ones supplied with Sprite Candy so blame MD!

Of course I give support for the demo version - perhaps that's misleading...

Thanks for taking the time to try it and report back.

I'm after a new project as I have one more PC Advisor article/showcase to fill, please suggest a retro idea. Ta.

Grey Alien(Posted 2007) [#17]
I guess it's got to be something you can do in 3D right? Otherwise I'd have said a Kickstart 2 remake :-)

As for top level retro games there are plenty of scrolling shooters, space invaders, breakout clones and stuff like that, oh and platformers. I guess something like that but with your unique style and flashy 3D effects. Lots of casual games and the like are 2D only so you have an edge there.

As for your showcase thing, howabout some kind of Driller/Darkside/Castle Master remake or even Mercenary? Or viris/zarch? They are retro those games but I guess quite a lot of work too. OK here's one, a 3D breakout - sure it's been done before but you may be able to thing of a new angle (pun). Maybe a simple Elite style space combat game (forget the trading as it'll be too much work). This list is endless :-) See what other people come up with.

JoeRetro(Posted 2007) [#18]
I've been reviewing some of my Atari 800 games thinking I might come away with a 3D version of one or two. Right now I've been playing 'Caverns of Mars'. Lots of fun.

Anyhow, the point is perhaps you can get a few ideas playing these great games of the 80s'.

The Caffeine Kid(Posted 2007) [#19]
Did you ask permission of the original author before making a commercial remake? (I'm just curious.)

Boiled Sweets(Posted 2007) [#20]
Well no. But I tried looking for him.

This is different enough from the original methinks...

Grey Alien(Posted 2007) [#21]
ACtually gotta admit I wondered the same thing as the name is the same right?

Boiled Sweets(Posted 2007) [#22]
Space Hiway vs Interstellar Highway

Grey Alien(Posted 2007) [#23]
ah oK, didn't get it. Then it's cool.