Huck's Rocket Boot Hero Released!

Community Forums/Showcase/Huck's Rocket Boot Hero Released!

Chugs40(Posted 2007) [#1]
After nearly 7 months of on and off development it's finally here!

For those of you who have been to my site have seen it on my Projects page. Check it out! Click on my site link and grab it from my home page or gallery!

Or click here -> http://hsretrogames.com/rocketboothero.zip (11mb)

The controls and info are in the menu.
This game was inspired by Activision's classic HERO - Download is a 20 min demo.

It's an original and twisted remake -- Alot of the graphics were shot with my digital camera!

GfK(Posted 2007) [#2]
I have sigs turned off.

Yan(Posted 2007) [#3]
It's best to have a direct download link and at least one picture.

Most people just wont bother trying it otherwise.

Warpy(Posted 2007) [#4]
what an odd game! I can't believe activision ever made a game like that

Grey Alien(Posted 2007) [#5]
At last and actual GAME posted in the showcase. Downloading now. Yeah I agree wiv da udders, a little picture, download link and file size go a long way ;-)

Grey Alien(Posted 2007) [#6]
OK this game is pretty nuts - interesting subject matter, and pretty funny. Seems like an OK platformer meets Thrust. Anyway nicely done, it's great to see an action game in the showcase.

Couple of small observations, I thought the wall took too long to break, I tried firing the laser at it and when it didn't break after a second or so I pressed lots of other keys (not having seen any pop up tutorials or keys listed helpfully) and accidently pressed the windows key. On going back to the game it was just a black screen but the music was still playing. Escape exited it. Next time I checked out the controls screen and realised I have to smoke and drink to stay alive (the game didn't tell me this as I was playing it, which would have been handy). Also the water is a bit too hard to see so I just died on it and though "hunh, what killed me".

Not that you'd probably want to, but you could have used an engine like this to make a cutesy platformer that I could have shown to my kids and that would have actually made some money. Does that make you feel sick ;-)

Grey Alien(Posted 2007) [#7]
I've pimped it for ya:

http://www.binaryjoy.co.uk/games/games-news/rocket-boot-hero/

Grisu(Posted 2007) [#8]
I prefer the original game.

Chugs40(Posted 2007) [#9]
Grey Alien,
Thanx for check'n it out! And the pimp'n!

As for the black screen if you press space and go to the menu it resets - alot of my aps do that - maybe I should structure something different :)
music still playing - thats wierd.
The lazer took along time to break walls in the original game. I may shorten it alittle...
As for the drinking and smoking... You should hear "I need a smoke" or "I need a drink" was the sound volume down or off?

Warpy,
Activision's version of HERO was bit different. I tweaked it a little!

GFK,
SIGS off? What does that mean?

GfK(Posted 2007) [#10]
SIGS off? What does that mean?
Signatures.

It means I don't have to look at pointless and irrelevant quotes, or uber-sized and generally ugly banners linking to non-existent games 'companies'.

Downside is I don't see 'sensible' links in signatures either.

Grey Alien(Posted 2007) [#11]
yeah GfK you don't see my ace sig ;-)

Chugs40: welcome. Yeah I heard the "I need a smoke" but no tips said "press Left and Action" I didn't event know what the action key was :-) Just the game could do with a few tips I reckon is all.

big10p(Posted 2007) [#12]
It means I don't have to look at pointless and irrelevant quotes, or uber-sized and generally ugly banners linking to non-existent games 'companies'.
I'd turn off sigs too, for this reason, but I use my own sig image to quickly identify my own posts in long threads, etc. I also wish there was a maximum width as well as a maximum height for sigs. There's a few people's that are too wide to fit in a 800x600 browser, which is what I'm stuck with, unfortunately. Annoying.

Anyway, back on topic...

Grey Alien(Posted 2007) [#13]
ahem OT, sorry. Big10p: Yeah I use the qiuck identify method too AND I specially formatted my sig so it fits on your screen!

big10p(Posted 2007) [#14]
Big10p: Yeah I use the qiuck identify method too AND I specially formatted my sig so it fits on your screen!
I appreciate it. :) Just wish others would consider us poor people, some times. :P

*(Posted 2007) [#15]
looks nice :)

gfk: thanks, the forum looks MUCH neater without the sigs :)

Chugs40(Posted 2007) [#16]
Grey Alien

Yeah, I should make the diagram show more info.

Action key is ALT
+Down=bomb
+Left=smoke
+Right=drink

The game plays best with a game pad or joystick.

Thanx Grey Alien, and all who checked out the game :)

Chugs40(Posted 2007) [#17]
Well my sig is one text link - but if sigs are turned off you wouldn't know.

Chugs40(Posted 2007) [#18]
I have Updated 'Huck's Rocket Boot Hero'

I hope I have fixed the following:

1) Minimize/Maximize - Music should not play and you shouldn't have a black screen when re-maximizing.

2) I changed the alpha setting on the water/lava it should be easier to see now!

3) I added more control Info, Not only to the 'Controls' menu but at game start as well.

Here is the Hero download again:
http://hsretrogames.com/rocketboothero.zip (11mb)

Please let me know if the control tips at game start are helpful or just flat annoying!

I have updated my other latest Bmax releases as well.
Please Test these (if you have time!) for minimize/maximize, controls, errors etc. as well.

Jacko's Revenge v1.6

http://hsretrogames.com/jack-o.zip (5mb)

Jack-o's Revenge is platform game where you must collect the five magic items to reverse a witch's spell.

Again please let me know if the control tips are annoying or helpfull in Jack-o!

Attack of The Techno Mutant Space Bees v1.1

http://hsretrogames.com/spacebees.zip (8mb)

Space Bees is a simple yet fast paced retro shooter. Be sure to make it to the bonus round!

I did not bother putting control info at game start for this game becouse it is mouse/touch pad control only.
Space pauses the game - there you can adjust sound volumes.

As always there is useful info in my scrolling messages!

Feedback on these games, is more than welcome and much appreciated! - Just so you know these are the demo versions!

Grey Alien(Posted 2007) [#19]
sounds like some sensible updates.