HydraMax IDE v0.7 full released

Community Forums/Showcase/HydraMax IDE v0.7 full released

Eikon(Posted 2007) [#1]
Download:
http://www.eiksoft.com/hydra/down.html

I had originally planned to charge a small fee for this IDE, but I haven't been able to work on it for months due to unavoidable circumstances. Instead of holding it back for another six months or more, I decided to release it for free without the demo restrictions. If you're unfamiliar with it, the website has a list of features:

http://www.eiksoft.com/hydra

Screenshot

Even though some things are missing and a few bugs still remain, the core features are very solid and it is definitely stable enough to use as your primary environment. Let me know what you think!

Amon(Posted 2007) [#2]
Downloading now. :)

Thanks dude. :)

Torrente(Posted 2007) [#3]
Thanks Eikon! It looks great!

tonyg(Posted 2007) [#4]
Many thanks Eikon.
Quick test and seems very nice.

Amon(Posted 2007) [#5]
Just tested this with a source file with 5000 lines of code and it loaded super quick. I know 5000 isn't much but it loaded faster than BLide.

It also uses way less system resources from what I've seen so far.

What Hydra needs now is someone to test it with very large source files spanning multiple .bmx files.

I remember a lot of people had problems with the current IDE's mangling or destroying code when the source files are big ( lots of code ) and span multiple documents.

So, can anyone with a big code project test HydraMax IDE? I seem to recall Gabriel having problems with IDE's when large source files were used.

Tachyon(Posted 2007) [#6]
With 13,000 lines the highlighting was essentially instantaneous.... <1 second.

GfK(Posted 2007) [#7]
Pretty good although sadly lacking any intellisense features.

I'd probably use it if it wasn't for that.

Filax(Posted 2007) [#8]
Do not work for me :/ After installation, the setup ask me for
the blitzmax install directory, i select :

C:\BlitzMax1.24\MaxIDe.exe

Setup return me :
RunTime error 13 : Type mismatch

Then the program return me i requester with memory error and
next it's impossible to launch.

amonite(Posted 2007) [#9]
Just downloaded, BIG thanks for making it, and HUGE thanks for releasing it for free !
(will play with it tonight)

CS_TBL(Posted 2007) [#10]
euhm.. so, does it have code/scope-folding or not? (couldn't find anything, except some related stuff in the settings menu)

The Caffeine Kid(Posted 2007) [#11]
Excellent to see this finally "out there" :)

tonyg(Posted 2007) [#12]
euhm.. so, does it have code/scope-folding or not?

View / Folding

Angus(Posted 2007) [#13]
Got it and it seems really nice. Like the layout and the code folding. Was nice and quick.

It didn't support Rem/Endrem, though. Is this subject to change?

I use quite a few of those style of comments. I'd switch to this from BLide if it gets implemented.

Chroma(Posted 2007) [#14]
Filax, I believe it's looking for C:\Program Files\BlitzMax\bin\bcc.exe.

In your specific case it would be: C:\BlitzMax1.24\bin\bcc.exe

CS_TBL(Posted 2007) [#15]
'k. I think I'll use this one .. :P

What about bugs? Will they be fixed?

(such as line numbers being printed too much to the left)

What about very minor features, such as a key or option to fold and/or unfold all scopes at once, or only the scope the cursor is currently located in?

Angus(Posted 2007) [#16]
Other tiny gripe. When switching between seperate source files, there's a little flicker as the new window appears, and is then resized. I know it seems piffling, but I have about 15 source files that I'm constantly flicking between. The tabs do this pretty quickly.

Otherwise lovely. I wanted something quite similar to the original, without huge piles of extra things; just a few really nice ones. This seems to have nearly everything I was looking for.

Thanks!

Angus(Posted 2007) [#17]
Eikon:

After re-reading your original post, I realise that work on the project is porbably over. Didn't mean to be so demanding!

I'll probably try it for a while anyway, and see if I can adapt to the little niggles.

Thanks again.

AltanilConard(Posted 2007) [#18]
I just downloaded it and it is really nice, good job. I only got a problem when I want to import minib3d, it gives me this error:
Compile Error: Unable to open file '.bmx/minib3d.bmx.debug.win32.x86.i'

When I run the excact same source code with the default ide, it runs without problems.

If it is possible to fix this, I will definatly use this as my default ide.

*edit*
Never mind, I've got it to work :)
Thank you very much for this great ide!

Thanks.

Filax(Posted 2007) [#19]
Chroma : Same :/

I'm desapointed :) I get the same problem differents PC's ...

coffeedotbean(Posted 2007) [#20]
Great program, I have always wanted a simple IDE but with function folding and line numbers this is just what I need, 1 issue I have is the functions dont remain folded when you reload the file =(

Ill send you a donation the next time i put some money in my paypal =D

amonite(Posted 2007) [#21]
:( same as Filax, i can not install hydramax on my WinXP sp2 or Win2K sp4 systems.
I tried editing the config file with no avail.
<edited>

xlsior(Posted 2007) [#22]
Found a bug: if the first line inside of a function is a remark (starting with ') then the function cannot be collapsed. It will nog show the little toggle box until the remarks are removed.

But anyway, it does look pretty nice. but just in case you're bored, here's some suggestions: ;-)

Two major feature requests:
1) Have an IDE option to load programs with all functions collapsed
2) have a shortcut key to collapse/expand the function that the cursor is currently on.

It would be nice if the IDE could remember which functions where expanded and which where collapsed and show it the same way next time you load, but that may be a bit tricky to keep track of.

tonyg(Posted 2007) [#23]
... and if you're really bored I'd like a 'projects' folder as well. For me the Community IDE plus folding is ideal.

Grisu(Posted 2007) [#24]
So is the project dead Eikon or will you pick it up some time later?

*(Posted 2007) [#25]
I get the minib3d bug too

Eikon(Posted 2007) [#26]
Hola amigos,
Thanks to everyone who has left me feedback, and a big thanks to those who are considering making a donation, it would be greatly appreciated.

Grisu: So is the project dead Eikon or will you pick it up some time later?
I don't have the time to make any major changes at the moment, this is why it was released for free. Maybe I will be able to get back into the project sometime down the road. You are still welcome to critique things and offer feature requests, they will all be written down and saved for later.

And apologies to those for whom Hydra refuses to run. This is one bug that is critical enough to require an immediate fix, but I haven't been able to figure out why it happens just yet.

Conard: Never mind, I've got it to work :)
Thank you very much for this great ide!
Please let us know how you fixed it, looks like EdzUp could use a hand.

Eikon(Posted 2007) [#27]
There is a new release (too small for a ver change), please redownload. Also note you may need to delete your HydraMax folder before reinstall. In that case you can copy your old hydra.ini file in afterwards to restore your settings.

Updates:
- Directory selector replaces file selector when asking user to locate BlitzMax on first load
- Attempted to fix critical crash on load; Filax please test
- Minor UI changes

Sphinx(Posted 2007) [#28]
Keep up the great work Eikon.

Tiny bug : Line numbers repeats itself from 00 to 99 (it never exceeds 99)

*(Posted 2007) [#29]
I would like to know the fix for this one, this is a brilliant IDE and I would love to use it but I would like to use it with the sidesign.minib3d module :)

AltanilConard(Posted 2007) [#30]
You can use it with sidesign.minib3d. The problem I'm having is, when the name of my file is larger then 8 characters, it won't compile anymore (only when I import sidesign.minib3d). If I keep my filename small, it works just fine.

amonite(Posted 2007) [#31]
It still doesn't run with the new release.

(winxp sp2, amd 2400+, geforce 5200)

Blitzplotter(Posted 2007) [#32]
Great IDE, good work, the way in which your IDE allows easy manipulation of code helped me resolve a 'buuug' in some random code I'd developed a while back. Am considering a donation...

seyhajin(Posted 2007) [#33]
I've a same problem that Filax and Benyboy.
Hydramax crash on first launch (select your bmax folder), and if i modify 'BlitzPath' in hydra.ini file, it's a same error.

Have you an ideas ?

tonyg(Posted 2007) [#34]
@Filax,
RunTime error 13 : Type mismatch

Could this be anything to do with the fullstop '.' in your directory name (BlitzMax1.24)?
Maybe HydraMax is trying to use it but it looks like a type? Maybe?
If those people who get the error can specifically post *exactly* what they do and what hardward/OS specs they're using it might help.

seyhajin(Posted 2007) [#35]
@tonyg :
What's value have you to 'BlitzPath' from 'hydra.ini' ?
I use WinXP SP2 (FR), maybe the OS localisation language :(.

tonyg(Posted 2007) [#36]
BlitzPath=C:\BlitzMax
Could it be a 'space in install path' issue?
Anyway, post exactly what you do so we can check any commonalities with those who have got the error.

seyhajin(Posted 2007) [#37]
My BlitzMax path is : C:\Program Files\BlitzMax
I've try C:\Progra~1\BlitzMax for escape space path, but it's same :(.

After installation:
When i run Hydra, i've a PathRequester for select my BMAX path, i've a message error :(

After manuelly modify hydra.ini (BlitzPath):
i've a message error too.

tonyg(Posted 2007) [#38]
i've a message error

i've a message error too

I am guessing you get the same error in both cases and it matches that posted by Filax. I am also guessing that the issue is with the space in your case and the '.' in Filax's. There was a recommendation *NOT* to install in Program Files at one point but that might have been dropped. I changed mine as it caused problems with HotDocs.
If you can be bothered, install BlitzMax to a path without spaces, fullstops of whatever and see what happens with HydraMax.

seyhajin(Posted 2007) [#39]
I reinstalled BMAX to D:\BlitzMax and Install HydraMax to D:\HydraMax, the error come back !
Maybe Eikon have another solutions ?

Eikon(Posted 2007) [#40]
All three people who have reported the startup error are from France, which I don't think is a coincidence. Something with non-english Windows seems to be causing the problem.

I will be making some modifications later in the week, but it's going to be hard to fix the problem without a way to duplicate it here.

Vertex(Posted 2007) [#41]
Nice, but I have some needs to make this IDE to my standard IDE:
- Debugger, it is an essential tool
- Tabbed codes, not using MDI technology please(MDI only for graphics orientated applications)
- New codes should save automaticaly in a tmp directory. So I don't have to save a little test on desktop or so on.
- The autocorrection of "print" to "Print" does not work perfect. When I typing "print(1234)" there is no update to "Print(1234)", only when I press return key.
- Save As and Export as HTML using default file names. I loaded a file named "Audiolab.bmx" and than I press "Export as HTML" so the IDE offers me "Audiolab.bmx" as the html file name. When I have no attention to this, I will overwrite my sourcecode with a html file. This should "Audiolab.html"(btw, is there no way, to generate xhtml valid w3c code?)
- The output should using a monotype font and there is actualy no functionality, when I test the Input command.
- We germans have a own module server called BlitzHelp. Is there a way, to add servers Sync. Modules tool?
- Is there realy a need for the rocket icon for compile? A play icon would be professional, but this is only my opinion ^^

Keep up this good working!

cu olli

Bobysait(Posted 2007) [#42]
I've got the same error message Seyhajin get.
=> I'm french running under Xp pro sp2 like him...
I Tryed to change Blitzmax directory form F:/Prog Fil[...] to E:/Blitzmax, with no success... I also tryed moving Hydramax to E: ... no success...

You Added a value to disable HydraMax with french OS ? :D