BlitMax Spirals Screensaver

Community Forums/Showcase/BlitMax Spirals Screensaver

Damien Sturdy(Posted 2007) [#1]
OK, I got bored last night and did a quick screensaver using my 250byte logo entry. It turned out pretty sweet- and the bigger the screen you have the better.

It will adjust itself to run on your machine- and keeps adding new spirals until there's no CPU cycles or room on screen left.

ANyway, here's the link:

http://damientsturdy.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/spiralsaver.scr

and screenies:

Tri|Ga|De(Posted 2007) [#2]
Does not work. For me atleast!

Damien Sturdy(Posted 2007) [#3]
Grah... Any symptoms?

Who was John Galt?(Posted 2007) [#4]
Works here. Very nice.

PGF(Posted 2007) [#5]
Very pretty.

Since you must be redrawing everything on each flip, how about making the centres move around?

Tri|Ga|De(Posted 2007) [#6]
Just blinks and goes back to my desktop.

WinXP SP2 - GF-FX5200

Damien Sturdy(Posted 2007) [#7]
PGF, Already done it! I'll update later- i want to try to fix Tri's problem before I do so :)

Damien Sturdy(Posted 2007) [#8]
Tri, does this do the same?

http://danjeruz.servegame.com/spiralsaver.exe

Raph(Posted 2007) [#9]
The .scr did not work for me, and the .exe did. It's really nice... but of course, the .exe doesn't have screensaver behavior. :)

Damien Sturdy(Posted 2007) [#10]
Raph... Rename it ;) and let me know how it goes.

Can you all let me know if the screensaver works, and also if the preview works?

Curtastic(Posted 2007) [#11]
Wow. well yours is better than my old spiral screensaver http://www.curtastic.com/star/star.htm

big10p(Posted 2007) [#12]
OMG, this blew up my 'puter! I shall sue! :P

Actually, as Cyg already knows, this ran fine on my rig-o-doom, so it *should* be running fine on any other PC. :)

Damien Sturdy(Posted 2007) [#13]
I updated the download, grab it again.

I added movement and fixed a couple of things that might have caused problems. Lemme know if it stops or starts working :)

PGF(Posted 2007) [#14]
Excellent.

Amon(Posted 2007) [#15]
I like this. :)

How did you make it in to a screensaver? Is it as simple as creating a Max exe and renaming to .scr?

Grey Alien(Posted 2007) [#16]
This is cool, just spotted it.

Raph(Posted 2007) [#17]
Cygnus, a fresh download of the .scr version did the trick!

What I meant before: When I used the .exe version, it required hitting ESC to get out of the screensaver, instead of just using the mouse. :) Sorry for not being clear.

Damien Sturdy(Posted 2007) [#18]
Amon, I used a framework found here on the forums, it was broken, I updated it...

Basically, you use AppArgs[] and check for "/C" (config) "/S" (start?) and "/P" (Preview).

When Preview is called, the preview window HWND is in appargs[2] which is incredibly handy because you can then attach the max window to it! :) (Check the preview window- the download as it is now works properly ;) )

In preview mode you need to check to see if the screensaver preview window is still loaded, and if not, exit.

I might untangle my code from it and post the fixed version here but it now requires MaxGUI. :)

I owe the coder of the original screensaver framework that much really! :)

Tri|Ga|De(Posted 2007) [#19]
The new exe one works.
Sorry for my late answer

Damien Sturdy(Posted 2007) [#20]
Good to hear Tri- did you redownload the original too? (I updated the file)

Tri|Ga|De(Posted 2007) [#21]
Still no luck with the scr file

Damien Sturdy(Posted 2007) [#22]
Hmmm.I have no idea why its not working. Sounds like it thinks you moved your mouse immediately.

Damien Sturdy(Posted 2007) [#23]
Curtastic, Cool- thats the same way these spirals work :)

Tri|Ga|De(Posted 2007) [#24]
Tried without using my mouse(just keyboard) and get the same result.
Could be its my machine thats fu.... up.

Yan(Posted 2007) [#25]
@Amon - A simple BMax screensaver framework can be found HERE...

Nice one Cygnus but I'm getting the 'closing instantly' thing too.

Dunno if it's the same issue, but I clear the event queue in the above framework to stop this.

Raph(Posted 2007) [#26]
So after trying it overnight, I get the "close instantly" thing about 95% of the time. :(

Damien Sturdy(Posted 2007) [#27]
¬.¬ Thanks guys.

Could you all download again and try this next version? I'd like to get this resolved.

I just added code to clear events, and also added a "Delay 500" in there to give stuff time to init.

Tri|Ga|De(Posted 2007) [#28]
Same result with the scr file.
Still not working

Raph(Posted 2007) [#29]
I grabbed the new .scr file from the top, and it still exits instantly. It does run in the preview window, but if I hit the preview button, the screen goes black, then it returns to the desktop.

I tried running it directly, with the same result.

Damien Sturdy(Posted 2007) [#30]
OK, thanks guys- Right, I'll get the source out later!

Lets see if we can bust this one open!!