gile[s] 2.0 Alpha 1

Community Forums/Showcase/gile[s] 2.0 Alpha 1

fredborg(Posted 2007) [#1]
Hi,

We are looking for some feedback on the new version of gile[s]... So if you have a bit of time to give it a run, and tell us what you think, it would be much appreciated.

You can download it here:
http://www.frecle.net/giles/download/gile[s]-2_0-public-alpha-1.zip

If you do find any bugs please post them on the forums located here: http://www.frecle.net/forum/viewforum.php?f=10

And the obligatory screenshot which took <1 minute to model and 3.88 seconds to render:

Boiled Sweets(Posted 2007) [#2]
Will this be free for existing registered owners? Also how do you rotate the view?

fredborg(Posted 2007) [#3]
Q1: If not, it will be a cheap upgrade.

Q2: Whoops, forgot that :)
Keys:
Alt + Mouse - Navigate Viewport
1,2,3,4,5,6 - Select tool when editing a terrain
N,M - Adjust brush properties when editing a terrain

Script functions (so far...more to come):
'
' Support functions
id = EntityGet(index)
EntityCount()

'
' Output
Print( string )

'
' Entity
class = EntityGetClass(id)
name = EntityGetName(id)
EntitySetName(id,name)
EntitySetPosition(id,x,y,z,global)
x,y,z = EntityGetPosition(id,global)
EntitySetRotation(id,pitch,yaw,roll,global)
pitch, yaw, roll = EntityGetRotation(id,global)
EntitySetScale(id,x,y,z,global)
x,y,z = EntityGetScale(id,global)

'
' Primitives
id = CreateQuad()
id = CreatePlane()
id = CreateDisc()
id = CreateCube()
id = CreateCone()
id = CreateCylinder()
id = CreateSphere()

'
' Lights
id = CreateLight()
LightSetColor(id,r,g,b)
r, g, b = LightGetColor(id)

Fuller(Posted 2007) [#4]
whoa... Why's it so slow on my computer?

Naughty Alien(Posted 2007) [#5]
I cant get shadows and lightening when i render scene done in previous version of Gile[s]..there is no shadows and everything is quite bright..Alt+Mouse I find quite non practical when i wanna move around..I like material editor separated, thats really cool...looking good so far, but i would like to know why settings from my projects done in previous versions of Gile[s] is not rendered properly..

Robert Cummings(Posted 2007) [#6]
Can you make it so alt+mouse overrides WSAD so WSAD is movement?

This way it is intuitive and natural.

It does seem faster in terms of rendering!

caff_(Posted 2007) [#7]
Hi Fredborg hope you're ok :)

First I really like the interface, it feels more like a real application. I'm finding it easier to tweak materials and settings.

Like Naughty Alien - I don't get the same results if I import a .b3d and lighting in .ase format, as I would if I imported into Gile[s] 1. What I see in Gile[s] 1 is what I would expect to see. At the moment it seems the lighting is far too strong, or totally different in some way. I'll need to have a play to find out what it could be.

And I'm agreed I prefer to use WSAD to move around - it feels more natural, especially if you play

fredborg(Posted 2007) [#8]
Hi,

I'm super duper caff! And the same to you!

@Fuller: Whoah No idea!

@Naughty Alien/Caff: Lightmaps aren't assigned automatically right now, so you have to do it by hand. If you save the scene in the old gile[s] and open the .gls file it should keep lightmap settings. Render settings aren't imported though. Alt+Mouse, a camera only mode will be added.

@Lowcs: Sure.

Pinete(Posted 2007) [#9]
Hi!
It seems incredible to me, fantastic, the new windows interface is smashing! I love this new interface, absolutely lovely, no doubt! faster, easier... I haven't words..

I've tested it on three machines. Both of them are DELL dimension 9200 Core Duo with 7900GS and 7300 and another one is a P2.8Gb with a 6600GT. The three computers has windows XP and 1Gb RAM. Works fine in all cases, no problem in terms of running the app.

regarding functionality, I guess I'm not going to say anything new... Problems with the scroll panel at the left because some "glitches" when you displace it with mouse... renders doesn't works sometimes because the program enter in some kind of standby state... When moving the scene or some object with keys or mouse, sometimes, it continues moving even not pressing any mouse button or key... buggy... but very promissing without any doubt.

I'm a happy gile[s] customer and I expect adquire also this version when it will be finished.

Congratulations Fredborg,

Best regards!

Boiled Sweets(Posted 2007) [#10]
So apart from the interface what's going to be so new and sexy with the new version?

QuickSilva(Posted 2007) [#11]
Looking great. Is it still programmed completely in Blitz?

Jason.

t3K|Mac(Posted 2007) [#12]
@boiled: it renders faster, is supports native DDS format and much more... head over to the official giles forum and have a look..

bradford6(Posted 2007) [#13]
fredborg,
it might be useful (for someone who has never used Gile[s] to post a quick step by step on how you created the scene in the screenshot.

I launched the program, created a few cubes and lightsources and hit render. nothing happened. I suppose i need to create materials and apply them to the the cubes for the lightmaps to be created.

MadJack(Posted 2007) [#14]
I can second that issue with the user's viewpoint continuing to move although an arrow key is not being pressed.

To be honest, I don't much care for the new style of moving the user's viewpoint - on starting to press an arrow key and then moving the mouse, the viewport angle often flicks away abruptly. Also couldn't locate how to adjust cam movement speed.

LWO import. Won't import v5 objects. Probably to be expected though.

I'm also having trouble simply getting an imported 3ds to actually LM. I've set one omni lightsource nearby, infinite, set all materials to use a 1024x1024 lm, shadows on. It renders, but there's no change on-screen andf the LM is all black. Need to do some more testing.

Fuller(Posted 2007) [#15]
Ok, ummm.... Yea, me again, when I work with it for more than five minutes everthing seems to be postponed by about a minute or so.

(by the way can you see my sig picture?)

Nathaniel(Posted 2007) [#16]
Great job. I don't understand how to move the camera. Very easy to learn though (I've never used Giles before).

How do you do shadows?

puki(Posted 2007) [#17]
This all looks very exciting.

I bought the original ages ago, but never used - a bit like everything else I've bought and never used. However, I am terribly excited about this new version and look forward to buying it. I haven't tried the demo as I won't use it when I buy it - however, at least it is exciting.

Chad(Posted 2007) [#18]
Fredborg, one request with the new Gile[s]!

A little sprite or something to give the spot of the light a little bit of glow like a real light, whether it be a light bulb or a lamp, etc.

Just my $0.02

puki(Posted 2007) [#19]
Actually, come to think of it. With the original gile(s), there was always a tremendous amount of faffing about to get the lights to point where you wanted - not sure if it was just me not reading the docs. Positioning lights was okay, it was then getting them to point to where you wanted.

EDIT:
In fact, I just downloaded it, but instantly did not like the controls to move the camera.

Boiled Sweets(Posted 2007) [#20]
Woah the camera movement is horrid!

Cannot we have a way to simply rotate the world...

fredborg(Posted 2007) [#21]
Hehe, I see people have problems with the camera. It would be helpful if you could show an example of how you would like it to work, or explain it in a little more detail than: WOW that sucks :)

@Fuller: If you can explain what you do, or what your machine specs are it would be helpful.

@Madjack: The importers are the same as in the old gile[s]... Not sure what the problem is with the black lightmap. Have you assigned the lightmap to the material(s), and the material(s) to the model(s)? Also remember to set the Fullbright flag in the material(s).

@Quicksilva: Yes, 99% BlitzMax

Thanks for the response so far. It is very helpful, but it would be even better if you could explain in more detail what is wrong or right.

Naughty Alien(Posted 2007) [#22]
..regarding camera, can you leave it same as in version 1.31a?? Its brilliant, easy to use...

Boiled Sweets(Posted 2007) [#23]
I simply want to be able to rotate the view from 0,0

fredborg(Posted 2007) [#24]
@Naughty: Roger that!

@Boiled: If you right click in the viewport and select "-> View Mode -> Look At" or press "Shift+V". Is that what you mean?

TheSin(Posted 2007) [#25]
Will there be an Mac version of giles 2.0? Should be possible since it's BMX...

fredborg(Posted 2007) [#26]
Yes

Fuller(Posted 2007) [#27]
Desktop 2.5Gb Ram WinXP(Service Pack2) Nvidia GeForce 6800 GS DirectX 9
and the processor is a Intel(r) Celeron(R) CPU 2.93GHz

pretty sure thats right. What I'm doing is opening giles, click to get rid of the intro screen when it says ready, then just moving the camera around. Works fine for a minute or but then everything delay a while after that.

Boiled Sweets(Posted 2007) [#28]
fredborg,

yes! awesome.

Filax(Posted 2007) [#29]
How do you plan the update for the olders customers fredborg ?
but great job like alway :) Very nice GUI!

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2007) [#30]
Good news! Promising stuff.

MadJack(Posted 2007) [#31]
'@Madjack: ...Also remember to set the Fullbright flag in the material(s).'

That's essentially what the issue was - also the model had some manky normals.

Would point out though that my current workflow involves lightmapping materials without fullbright set - so they can show some realtime lighting effects. V1.36 Giles does allow you to do this and get a reasonable preview...

JoshK(Posted 2007) [#32]
Very nice. How did you make the special interface items?

fredborg(Posted 2007) [#33]
@Fuller: That's very strange. Your computer shouldn't have any problems running gile[s]. Perhaps your graphics card driver is an old one?

@Filax: Regardez la premiere answer :P

@Madjack: Noted!

@Leadwerks: Some modifications to MaxGUI and some custom extensions. Most of them are several standard gadgets joined together to perform special operations. The nice thing (for me) is really the automatic layout of them, so I don't have to code every position and size into the code.

Torrente(Posted 2007) [#34]
Any chance of Linux support?

Fuller(Posted 2007) [#35]
far as I know my drivers are up to date... Maybe I'm getting some interference from another process?

Jan_(Posted 2007) [#36]
can't wait for the linux version

cyberyoyo(Posted 2007) [#37]
Hi, I'm a registered user of Giles 1.36
Could you make a quick list of the ne features in version 2? becuse on your website or forum I can't seem to see any new list except maybe scripting.
I am pretty busy so I don't have time to download and test programs.
So tell me, why should I upgrade to version 2?

Makepool(Posted 2007) [#38]
Because otherwise Fredborg's death squads will hunt you down like a dog!

Pinete(Posted 2007) [#39]
a good reason to upgrade?
one of thousands should be just the new GUI. Professional, ultrafast, more ordered, If you've used gile 1.36 and still need reasons to upgrade, please, take a quick look at the new version and tell us...

I haven't doubts about upgrade. At the first minute it will be possible I'll be there clicking and clicking to make the payment!

regards,

koekjesbaby(Posted 2007) [#40]
Fredborg!

*wipes some dust of this edit field*

Just for no particular reason: are you using miniB3D for the rendering or did you write your own "engine"?

In either case, how is the interface in your code for creating the primitives (such as the box, sphere and, oh let's say, terrain? ;). I assume they are some type of object with methods/handlers to define behavior when creating them etc. Do they have such handlers for post-creation, so you'd be able to drag vertices around or push/pull faces etc?

I have this BlitzMaxified Blitz3D project lingering on my harddisk right now. Optimizing, cleaing and redesigning it in a proper OOP fashion. It could/might be a nice addition in the Gile[s] primitives list ;) Plus I'd love to try and code it for an environment where it'll be actually used ;)

If you're interested, please mail me at hessel monkeytail besttof dot com :)

Rob Farley(Posted 2007) [#41]
Cool, I'll download this later... Hopefully it'll be stable, I find gile[s] is about as stable as an upturned weeble.

fredborg(Posted 2007) [#42]
Hi,

Here's a small introduction video on how to make a scene similar to the one above:
http://www.frecle.net/giles/tuts/g2_amb_occ/

gile[s] 2.0 will be free to registered users.

@koekjesbaby, I sent you an email some days ago ... In case you haven't received it :)

QuickSilva(Posted 2007) [#43]
"Free to registered users" That`s great news :) Thanks for being so generous. Can`t wait to try out the full release version.

Jason.

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2007) [#44]
Me too!

koekjesbaby(Posted 2007) [#45]
fredborg: that's strange i haven't received any mail from you. i'll try to dig up your email address from somewhere (if it's still the same)

fredborg(Posted 2007) [#46]
koekjesbaby: I sent it again ... if you don't receive it mail me at: giles snail frecle point net

koekjesbaby(Posted 2007) [#47]
isn't it an elephans trunk in danish? ;)

jhocking(Posted 2007) [#48]
wow this is excellent, and it's so great that it'll be free for registered users. Can't wait to use gile[s] on my Mac laptop!

Now I just need a way to animate b3d models on a Mac and I can do all my Blitz developing on my laptop. hm, maybe I'll go back to the Maya b3d exporter I started working on and abandoned years ago...

Chroma(Posted 2007) [#49]
Very impressive. I was on the verge of buying giles about a year ago but I think this time the sale will go through. :)

N(Posted 2007) [#50]
Any chance of a Linux version? Doesn't matter much, but it'd be nice.

fredborg(Posted 2007) [#51]
Hi,

No, Linux is not really worth the effort as far as I can tell. There will be a mac version though.

N(Posted 2007) [#52]
Alrighty, thanks for the answer.

fredborg(Posted 2007) [#53]
Terrain stuff on the way...

wmaass(Posted 2007) [#54]
Oh wow. Can't wait for this Fredborg, good work.

Beaker(Posted 2007) [#55]
I'm not a big fan of terrains but this is giving me an unwholesome interest in them. Great stuff, Mr Borg!

caff_(Posted 2007) [#56]
ooh pretty :)

Mustang(Posted 2007) [#57]
Cool (literally) pic there Fred! "gile[s] 2.0 will be free to registered users." starts to sound better and better...

ingenium(Posted 2007) [#58]
nice!

Filax(Posted 2007) [#59]
Great ! Like always :)

DareDevil(Posted 2007) [#60]
the demo create cube black no rendering lightmap!

fredborg(Posted 2007) [#61]
@DareDevil: Have a look at this simple introduction: http://www.frecle.net/giles/tuts/g2_amb_occ/

DareDevil(Posted 2007) [#62]
Thanks!

bye

Koriolis(Posted 2007) [#63]
Really nice.
[off topic]
You know I wouldn't mind having a hi-res version with no GUI. It would make a very cool wallpaper :)
[/off topic]

Yue(Posted 2012) [#64]
...at this simple introduction: http://www.frecle.net/giles/tuts/g2_amb_occ/

Thanks!!

MadJack(Posted 2012) [#65]
Yue

Arrg! Thanks for getting my hopes up that there'd been movement on the Giles2 front!

Naughty Alien(Posted 2012) [#66]
..i do not know is it Gile[s] dead or not, but if it is, I was wondering is it possible to get source..that will be nice..

*(Posted 2012) [#67]
Will there be a mac version ? :)

MadJack(Posted 2012) [#68]
You do realize the last post from the dev was 4 years ago?

NoOdle(Posted 2012) [#69]
Its now free from his website

Kryzon(Posted 2012) [#70]
His website's been offline for years.

Abandon ship!!

stayne(Posted 2012) [#71]
His website's been offline for years.

Eh?

http://www.frecle.net/index.php?show=giles.about

Kryzon(Posted 2012) [#72]
Hmm, not showing. Must be something to do with my ISP's link.