Cryptex of Time - 2 Playmodes

Community Forums/Showcase/Cryptex of Time - 2 Playmodes

AJirenius(Posted 2007) [#1]
2 months has passed now since I started on this one and I've come to another fork in the road. Best way to solve it I guess is to let you guys try it out and tell me what you think is the best way to play it.
There are no tutorial in the game right now. Only 2 themes and 1 tune but hey.. it's a test :D

Instructions:
Click on a cube and drag while holding mousebutton to rotate the specific wheel.
Click on empty area and drag while holding mousebutton to rotate the whole scene.

Objectives: Remove all cubes from the wheels to release the wheels. Enough released wheels lets you go to next level.

Download link: http://archon2160.pbwiki.com/f/Playmodes.rar

Screens:

Grey Alien(Posted 2007) [#2]
hey this looks like it's improving! I'm on the Mac right now so can't test it.

Trixx(Posted 2007) [#3]
I think that rotating the whole cylinder should be with the right mouse button. That will be easier than to remove the mouse from the cylinder just to scroll the cylinder, at least for me. So - left mouse button to rotate the wheel and right button to rotate all wheels when your pointer is over the cylinder.

I like the main menu screen, but I think that it will be more beautiful without those mountains in the background.

It's too hard for me. Maybe you should put a smaller wheels, i.e. with less cubes on the first several levels.

Pressing escape in the middle of a game should ask me if I want to quit /pause/return to the main menu

Anyway, it's looking great !

Derron(Posted 2007) [#4]
When removing a red extra-block and it hits a blue extra-block, the blue one should also use is special functionality instead of only being removed.

Moving the Mouse to the most left or most right should rotate the wheel for 360 degree... so when "dragging" on the wrong spot, a full turn has to be possible ... I ended 3 times or so placing the stones on the wrong spot coz "releasing the mousebutton" places the stones and moving left or right didn't allow the correct placement.

Overall the "free play" gets too "randomly" when getting over 20000 Points. Ahhem....you have to make to much turns of the wheels to get connections -- and if you have no luck with the new stones (new wheels) you end up raising from level 3 (3 wheels) to level 13 within 1 or 2 minutes.

bye
MB

Fuller(Posted 2007) [#5]
thats really tricky. ONce I decided to play the level over again and the third row up got displaced slightly and it wouldn't count it.

AJirenius(Posted 2007) [#6]
Thank you guys for your comments.
I've had another guys encounter that bug. Can you please tell whether it was in the 2 first levels that happened or in the 2 last?
Hate those bugs that rarely happens...

MichaelB: Yes I understand the need for rotating so much but as the tutorial will try to explain it's NOT a good idea rotating that much as time drops due to how many "clicks" or steps you rotate the wheels. Try small rotations and the game will be much easier.

Trixx: Several other people warned me from using the right mousebutton at all. " its not casual" is what I heard. I don't know. I'm not used to play any casual games at all and to be honest I think it's a MAC conspiracy ;)

Ill look into it. surely it would speed some things up

9572AD(Posted 2007) [#7]
Firetruck casual. Unless you're into living the portal life, I guess.
However, I'd keep the option to play one button in, as there will always be some weirdo who wants to play differently from what makes sense. And if you ever do a Mac port, it'll be that much easier.

DREAM(Posted 2007) [#8]
I like the first method better but probably using a one click second mouse button to get rid of tiles rather than a double click would feel better, and quicker.

the original second mode might suite a time attack mode or something like that.....

khayn(Posted 2007) [#9]

great puzzle game!!!

Loktar(Posted 2007) [#10]
Really fun, but I like the manual click better, because when its automatic its waaay too easy. Manually was hard as heck though.

Chroma(Posted 2007) [#11]
Almost all the text is hard to read. Either it's too small or not enough contrast against the background imo. Otherwise this looks really intriguing.

AJirenius(Posted 2007) [#12]
Chroma: Did you play the game or based it on the shrinked screenshots? I am aware of some of the text needs to have a higher contrast but I never heard anyone complain about all the text before.
As we are speaking the game is going through a big panel of "casual game testers". It will be really interesting to see what they come up with as it's really REALLY hard to determine some elements of the game as a developer.

Chroma(Posted 2007) [#13]
Based totally off the screenshots. I'll hold any more observations until your new release then. :)