Super Obliteration

Community Forums/Showcase/Super Obliteration

The Caffeine Kid(Posted 2007) [#1]
Just put up a second video of the gameplay - now with a few more special effects and movement from one level to the next. Hopefully this will be done within the next month {touch wood} and hopefully I will be able to compile it up for PC, Mac & Linux ok with it being written in BlitzMax.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=iE5PmeU_Y30

It's a remake of an Amiga PD game that appeared on a coverdisk back in ye olde days. The original was by the very talented David Papworth, who I hope got his foot in some industry doors after releasing this game - he deserved to.

It's basically Pang meets Turrican/Asteroids. :)

It was one of my fave PD games on the Amiga along with Deluxe Galaga, which already has an official remake by the author.

I think it definitely deserves a PC/Mac version and hope I'm up to the job.

[edit] 10 LEVEL DEMO VERSION: www.tcksoft.co.uk/files/super-oblit-wip.zip [/edit]

degac(Posted 2007) [#2]
This is GREAT!!!!
I will wait for a demo!

BlitzSupport(Posted 2007) [#3]
I like the look of this one...

Sledge(Posted 2007) [#4]
Remember the original very fondly -- great choice!

Curtastic(Posted 2007) [#5]
looks really cool

The Caffeine Kid(Posted 2007) [#6]
Cheers guys. Hopefully there will be a demo (or maybe even the full game) out this month sometime, if it all comes together how I hope.

RetroRusty(Posted 2007) [#7]
This is looking really good Caff. I can't wait to play the full version. :)

Grisu(Posted 2007) [#8]
Turrican clones rock! :D

EOF(Posted 2007) [#9]
Great looking stuff Andrew. Looks highly polished too.

The Caffeine Kid(Posted 2007) [#10]
Cheers guys. :)

The Caffeine Kid(Posted 2007) [#11]
Going to release the 10 level demo to all and sundry now just hoping that it runs good on everyone's PCs. (Previously it was only seen by a handful of people)

Please check it out and be sure to give some feedback if there are any problems, etc.

I've increased the powerup time by a second since the demo so they don't vanish as fast.

Someone has had the problem of the game starting automatically when dual analogue is selected due to it polling the selected axis' to start in that mode - going to change it to require pressing a fire button to begin.

http://www.tcksoft.co.uk/files/super-oblit-wip.zip (Windows only for now, sorry)

degac(Posted 2007) [#12]
Downloaded it!
Funny! Funny! Funny!
Great job.

On the start: please specify to 'click' somewhere to start the game...
PS: I know it is for retroremake-ing a game, but this game will be good even with modern gfx, no so pixelated! and with Higher resolution for the sprites. Just an opinion of course

JazzieB(Posted 2007) [#13]
Wow, this is really good work. Only got as far as level 3/4, but it was my first attempt - more just getting used to aiming with the mouse and moving with the keys I think. Not really used to this way of aiming unless it's an FPS. Started to get the hang of it though.

Runs really well on my Vista set-up, and I would agree with the comments above (particularly the "click to start" comment), although I didn't really mind the blocky graphics as much, as it gave the game that retro feel to it.

Overall, nice one.

Karja(Posted 2007) [#14]
I can't say that I'm very fond of retro graphics, but the game itself rocks! Got to level 8 on the first try - the blue thingies that came out of nowhere from the sides were a real shock there. One life was lost immediate due to that; personally, I prefer levels that you can finish without prior knowledge. That seems difficult on level 8...

Wiebo(Posted 2007) [#15]
TCK!

Very cool. I gotta try this when I get home later today.

andy_mc(Posted 2007) [#16]
I was playing turrican just the other day... brings back great memories.

Geehawk(Posted 2007) [#17]
Got to agree with the level 8 blue things. Be nice to stand a chance of not losing a life.

Would like updated graphics.

Would also like truly variable aiming rather than at times shooting somewhere near where the mouse is aiming, but not near enough to hit what you want.

Quite addictive though.

The Caffeine Kid(Posted 2007) [#18]
Wiebo, I hope you liked it.

Thanks to everyone who has replied. The indestructible pods on level 8 are easy compared to some of the nasty nasty levels later in the game with spiky floors, etc.

All 30 of the original levels are in now - don't know if I should just finish it off or add a few more bonus levels just for kicks and giggles.

I'm hopefully going to put in my online scoreboard code too so that people can compete against each other for high scores etc. :)

pimpom(Posted 2007) [#19]
Hello, I liked your demo :) Not plenty of time to play right now, and only got to level 3, duh.. But I like it. :)

Sledge(Posted 2007) [#20]
Great work -- I'm not totally convinced by the way keyboard-only control works... much prefer flick lock to directional lock (and it's a bit weird that 'lock' locks out left and right for aiming rather than locking in the current aiming direction). I can see the reason for it (because there are more than eight aiming directions) but as a player I'd like that choice.

Also found the seekers a bit hard to see. But yeah - great fun!

EDIT: - Cut/paste oddness corrected.

Grey Alien(Posted 2007) [#21]
why don't you put your demo link in the top post?

Grey Alien(Posted 2007) [#22]
Hey this is really good, well done! I remember the original now. I've blogged about your remake here:

http://www.binaryjoy.co.uk/games/games-news/super-obliteration/

The Caffeine Kid(Posted 2007) [#23]
Cheers for the pimpage. Added the demo link to the first post.

All the levels are done but at the moment I'm fighting with trying to make it all frame rate independent - but it seems a lot harder to separate the rendering from the logic parts of the code when the collisions rely on the drawing part (collision layers).

I've done it kind of but sometimes the asteroids escape the level due to skipping the collisions. :(

Maybe I will just check the framerate and if it's low stop the game with an error message saying "upgrade your pc or you can't play" :p LOL

Sledge(Posted 2007) [#24]
Don't ruin it with delta time - why would I want to play a game which supplied me with less visual information at exactly the moment when its likely that I need more (ie when there's a lot going on)?

Grey Alien(Posted 2007) [#25]
as it's an old skool remake it can just have a fixed frame rate and no delta time. but if you got the delta time right it could run in windowed mode...

The Caffeine Kid(Posted 2007) [#26]
What has windowed mode got to do with delta time?

I'm not using delta time as such, I'm using the method that appeared in Visual Blitz startup projects.

The Caffeine Kid(Posted 2007) [#27]
Umm I guess I ought to get back to finishing this off - not touched the code in a week now. :s

Gabriel(Posted 2007) [#28]
What has windowed mode got to do with delta time?

You can't force VSync in windowed mode.

Grey Alien(Posted 2007) [#29]
You can't force VSync in windowed mode.
That's correct. Therefore delta time is essential for windowed mode games i.e. any you plan to get on portals. It may not be so important for retro-remakes.

Grisu(Posted 2007) [#30]
Really great game though I'd love to see a higher resolution / with polished sprites as option.

The Caffeine Kid(Posted 2007) [#31]
v1.0 beta is out on my site - which includes online scores

feature complete I think and finished unless any bugs or problems arise, or unless someone offers to redo all the graphics :)

The Caffeine Kid(Posted 2007) [#32]
Just uploaded v1.01, fixing a problem with extra lives.

The Caffeine Kid(Posted 2007) [#33]
v1.02 is on my site for PC and for Mac OSX

Been there for a while but forgot to update this thread.

MGE(Posted 2007) [#34]
I LOVE IT!!!! AWESOME!!! GREAT WORK!!!!