Leadwerks Engine 0.2.9 beta

Community Forums/Showcase/Leadwerks Engine 0.2.9 beta

JoshK(Posted 2007) [#1]
-Download and extract this file:
http://www.leadwerks.com/ccount/click.php?id=39

-Run ScriptEditor.exe.
-Navigate to the "scripts" folder and open a script.
-Press F5 to execute the script.
-Press F1 to open the Programming Guide, which documents all the functions.

Each script program will demonstrate a different feature of the engine.

You must have OpenAL installed. If you don't, get it here:
www.leadwerks.com/files/OpenALwEAX.exe

The Leadwerks community is primarily made of of 3D artists, and we're kind of short on programmers. If you are interested in programming with my engine, the current beta has everything you need to get started using the script. A BlitzMax version will be released as well, but the script syntax and commandset is virtually identical to how it will work in BlitzMax.

fredborg(Posted 2007) [#2]
Cool! I had some flickering with the light example (z-buffer clipping) apart from that everything seemed to work.

Well done!

Dirk Krause(Posted 2007) [#3]
works great here. Yup, well done.

JoshK(Posted 2007) [#4]
Thanks, I know what is causing the z-fighting, and how to fix it. Yep, as I guessed, you have an ATI card.

puki(Posted 2007) [#5]
This really exciting.

I had the same problem as my friend "fredborg" with lighting.

EDIT:
Having said that - the particle demo just displays the particles as big blank sprites.

puki(Posted 2007) [#6]
Wait a minute.

This thing lets us make new scripts and stuff and save them and run them.

Are we supposed to have that much functionality?

EDIT:
Oh, we are supposed to be able to program it.

Cool.

caff_(Posted 2007) [#7]
Ok first bug -

I run dual monitors.

When I load the IDE, or run a program, or open one of the options menus - it positions the window across the middle of the two monitors... Ideally it should display in the centre of the screen it is currently active on.

Other than that, this looks very interesting...

puki(Posted 2007) [#8]
We must have a competition for the best script - mine is the best and I have clearly won, however, second place is up for grabs.

JoshK(Posted 2007) [#9]
I forgot to include a couple of textures used in the particle demo.

The current beta will timeout after 5 minutes, and will stop functioning after 30 days.

TheSin(Posted 2007) [#10]
Mac version?

Dustin(Posted 2007) [#11]
Works flawlessly on my geForce 7800.

It's great to see the progress!

JoshK(Posted 2007) [#12]
Thanks. I'll be putting together a much larger demo for the final release. You can't see it in these demos, but the routines have all been designed so they won't break down when the map gets big.

Programming a pretty effect means nothing if it won't run in a full-size map under the conditions a real game requires.

IPete2(Posted 2007) [#13]
Hi Josh,

As before this will not run on my ATI - I shall get new drivers again later and try again.

Sounds good though and I can't wait to play with the scripting.

IPete2.

Pinete(Posted 2007) [#14]
Great!
Works perfectly on 6600GT.

regards!

Naughty Alien(Posted 2007) [#15]
working nice here..unfortunately i was unable to try and check things over my own geometry since engine require 3D world studio, and im interested to see hows going setting up/loading scene, regarding physics use....anyway, i like this Blitz3D similar syntax..nice..

angel martinez(Posted 2007) [#16]
Very good!
Works very well on my 6800GT, I can't wait for the next features...

Pinete(Posted 2007) [#17]
Hi, also works very well on a 7900GS and 9800XT, just for your information... :)

regards!

Shambler(Posted 2007) [#18]
Works fine 6800GT too here.

Looks like it could be time to dig BlitzMax up again ;)

Tom(Posted 2007) [#19]
The light script suffers from the same depth problems here, ATI x800. FYI, the frame rate drops quite low on the static mesh script.

Syntax looks nice & easy.

keep at it!
Tom

TheSin(Posted 2007) [#20]
Don't want to spam but: Mac version?

I need it to beat puki at his contest (well, that or die alone lol).

Pinete(Posted 2007) [#21]
Mac version? what's that??? MAC?? are you refering to
a McDonald? some type of hamburger???
To do a Mac version of something related with games programming is painful and a waste of time, because all the time you should dedicate to fix bugs, implement new features, etc... on a PC version are
dedicated to a platform without users,without games, not conceibed for games or gamers... say, a MAC.
If I could develop a engine I'll never be focused on a "MAC", because is a computer that just is used to run Photoshop and not much more (oh yes, some crappy tools too)...
;)

regards!

JoshK(Posted 2007) [#22]
No plans for a Mac version. It might be possible to do, it might not. I use a lot of dlls, and a few Windows API commands, and I am not sure how those would work on Mac. I don't own a Mac, and don't want to buy one. I don't want to have to make two releases with every version.

If you add another OS you get a huge number of new bug reports, reported by the same three people who use that OS. Then you try to make everything cross-platform, and it impedes advancement because some OS doesn't support something the same way Windows does.

It doesn't make sense to develop for Mac, when there are so many ways my time can be better spent. The only way I would consider it is if Apple offered me some incentive. What they should do is offer to resell software, or have some sort of grants system set up. But it looks like they are doing the opposite, and charging ridiculous amounts for the privalege of developing on their platform:
http://developer.apple.com/products/

Why would I pay to develop for an OS no one uses?

Warren(Posted 2007) [#23]
Ask Mark.

JoshK(Posted 2007) [#24]
Hmmmm...

I sent an email off to Apple about offering 3D World Studio 6 in a Macintosh version. If they like the idea and want to do some sort of partnership, I think it could be pretty cool.

Pinete(Posted 2007) [#25]
I don't like to do demagogy, but I'm pretty sure the sales balancing between the Blitz3D version for PC and Blitmax for MAC version has could be 100 to 1. ( for each 100 copies of blitz3D PC sold just 1 of Blitzmax MAC)...

And just continuing making suppositions, I continue being pretty sure that if all the time spent developing BlitzMAX MAC version would be invested upgrading or updating Blitz3D (making new features, improving... just imagine), the bank account of Mark could be greater than the current one.

The reality is MAC is commonly for casuals, richs, people that just need to make letters and graphic designers whoes don't know there exist PCs with the double of power than a MAC from the half of its price.

I think Leadwers is on the perfect way, the engine is really promising and the results are being unbeatables. If the Leadwerks engine continues this way I would like to be one of his firsts customers. :)

regards!

Chroma(Posted 2007) [#26]
start.object not found. Just gives me that error.

JoshK(Posted 2007) [#27]
You need to open the script editor and run a script. Otherwise, the engine just looks for "start.object".

Warren(Posted 2007) [#28]
I don't like to do demagogy, but I'm pretty sure the sales balancing between the Blitz3D version for PC and Blitmax for MAC version has could be 100 to 1. ( for each 100 copies of blitz3D PC sold just 1 of Blitzmax MAC)...

This is a common misperception. Most indie developers who sell the same game on Mac and PC report around a 50% split.

The reality is MAC is commonly for casuals, richs, people that just need to make letters and graphic designers whoes don't know there exist PCs with the double of power than a MAC from the half of its price.

Another misperception. Have you priced Macs recently?

Pinete(Posted 2007) [#29]
Hi,
I don't pretend to convert this post in something different than Leadwers engine.

Just to answer you Warren,

a) MAC is not a game platform, by itself or by the perception the users has, and that's something that says Apple, not me. That's the reason because 99% of games in the market have not a MAC version. Simple. Regarding the point about indie developers, could be, I've not the certain about that you say, but getting as reference this point, the potential market is PC, just taking into account the number of units sold and the standarization of this platform.

b) to be honest, I've not checked MAC prices since the last year, I guess today will be not very different..., and yes, they are expensive computers according to its power, config capabilities, price of hardware... -expensive- or -very expensive- if we compare them with PCs.
Three years ago I had a MAC and unfortunately, it served to me as the same way a plant does on my desktop.
;)

And now, returning to Leadwers engine, it works perfectly too in a 7300.

regards!

Naughty Alien(Posted 2007) [#30]
..before you judge MAC's Pinete, regarding speed, you should try PowerMac G5, Quad Core 2.5 GHz...the you will realize how PC is actually 'fast'...and price for that G5 baby is not something you talking about..its quite affordable..

back to topic...Excellent jobLeadwerks..I'm really looking forward to this..is there any way to set up level geometry on any other way except 3d world studio?? 3Dsmax? Giles?

TheSin(Posted 2007) [#31]
Don't want to spam this thread but just to clarify a few things:

MACs are not just for the graphic designers. MACs are computers for people that want machines that "just work". In fact MACs are getting popular enough that all the great games are coming out now with much less delay than 3-5 years ago. Sure, MACs are not as spread as Windows PCs but to say that MACs just run Photoshop and "some crappy tools too" is just not true (in fact most software I've seen for the MAC is lightyears ahead of comparable Windows software in terms of speed, ease of use and cost).

Oh and considering the price: my 17" 2GHz Core2Duo 2GB RAM Radeon x1600 iMac has cost me $ 1200. Sure that's a bit more than a comparable PC with 17" TFT BUT: I got an all quiet, super cool computer with stylish and elegant design which hardware components just fit together and which OS just works no matter what. I got Cheetah3D (MAC only, and in my eyes there is no 3D all-in-one-app with better useability and features for that price), ChocoFlop (MAC only, still beta and a bit buggy but the price is very good and feature wise this baby rocks) and GarageBand (comes bundeled with the MAC). I got Xcode with the OS on DVD (where is the bundled VisualStudio with Vista?) so all in all I'd say the MAC is a wonderfull platform for developers and users alike. You had a MAC three years ago? Well, three years ago SONY was rocking the console market. Things have changed since that time. Only the blind won't see that.

@Leadwerks: I fully understand if you don't want to support another platform, it's really very much work. It's not if the MAC independent developers where lost without your engine. There's Unity, Torque, dim3, ColdSteel, Irrlicht (just graphics), OGRE (just graphics), Blender Game Engine, BlitzMax + minib3d, etc.
I just followed your engine progress and was quite impressed and very curious about the interoperability with your editor. I'm gonna spend some $$$ the next 2-7 days for game engine technology (either Unity or Torque) now that I know your engine and editor will most likely not come out for the MAC. That's sad but no world fall.

JoshK(Posted 2007) [#32]
I was more interested in releasing 3D World Studio 6 on Mac, since it doesn't really have any competition. I emailed Apple, and they just sent me a form letter and a link to buy "developer membership", so no, 3D World Studio won't be on Mac.

bytecode77(Posted 2007) [#33]
finally a demo that actually works...

Warren(Posted 2007) [#34]
a) MAC is not a game platform, by itself or by the perception the users has, and that's something that says Apple, not me. That's the reason because 99% of games in the market have not a MAC version. Simple. Regarding the point about indie developers, could be, I've not the certain about that you say, but getting as reference this point, the potential market is PC, just taking into account the number of units sold and the standarization of this platform.

b) to be honest, I've not checked MAC prices since the last year, I guess today will be not very different..., and yes, they are expensive computers according to its power, config capabilities, price of hardware... -expensive- or -very expensive- if we compare them with PCs.

Geez ... this is why I don't bother arguing Mac vs PC anymore. All of that text is ignorance. Pure ignorance.

Loktar(Posted 2007) [#35]
Sorry for my ignorance... but is this a product that will be like B3D allowing you to create your own executables?