Interstellar Highway TEST!

Community Forums/Showcase/Interstellar Highway TEST!

Boiled Sweets(Posted 2007) [#1]
Please take a moment to try the first public offering of our new game, Interstellar Highway. It's a modern day homage to the BBC (Model B) classic Space Hiway. As far as we are aware there have been no remakes of this simple yet hugely addictive game.

The goal of remaking it was to keep the gameplay the same but bring the graphics up to date. We think we have managed to do that pretty well.

This was written in about 6 weeks from scratch, development times hugely reduced by using Sprite Candy, Particle Candy and IDEal.

We think it's ready for a wider release so please do try it and offer constructive criticism. As mentioned the gameplay is not going to change as it's a remake but please do report bugs & annoyances. We are always open to suggestions too.

We would be particularly interested in:

1. Ideas on how to limit the demo version (thinking of just allowing first 3 levels).

2. Does it run smoothly on your system?

3. How much should we charge for the full version ( and don't say <= 0 )

Lastly this version is time limited, i.e. it will stop working on 5th March 2007.

Many thanks...

http://www.boiledsweets.com/highway/bin/IH1.00b12.zip

fredborg(Posted 2007) [#2]
Lastly this version is time limited, i.e. it will start working on 5th March 2007.
Ok, I'll wait a few weeks before downloading then.

Boiled Sweets(Posted 2007) [#3]
OOPS! It meant to read "it will stop working". Edited :-)

It works right now - please download and try :-)

Moraldi(Posted 2007) [#4]
It is a little bit difficult
For example I have to forgot for a while all the enemies in order to get the fuel bonus. But this is (at most times) a big mistake for my ship...

big10p(Posted 2007) [#5]
Any way to get this to launch in 800x600?

Boiled Sweets(Posted 2007) [#6]
big10p,

well I could add that...

big10p(Posted 2007) [#7]
Just that my crappy monitor can't do 1024x768 (dont ask). :/

JoeRetro(Posted 2007) [#8]
Hey I enjoyed this quite a bit. The game ran fine on my system, no glitches at all. I would like to see more action while playing. Perhaps add a bonus level every 5/10 levels.

All and all nice first release.

*edit* - Mouse/Joystick support would be lovely.

Love the *big10p* explosions.

Boiled Sweets(Posted 2007) [#9]
big10p,

for you, I'll do it :-)

big10p(Posted 2007) [#10]
Ta. ;)

Boiled Sweets(Posted 2007) [#11]
Did you like the credit?

big10p(Posted 2007) [#12]
I didn't get to see it. :(

Trixx(Posted 2007) [#13]
- I don't like the combination of a very colorful background with nice blue menus at the start. I think that the background should be less intensive at that screen.
- How about an autofire option ?
- The enemy bullets are too fast.. at least they shouldn't be that fast on the first few levels
- I like the keyboard layout on the HighScore screen, but maybe you should allow typing with keyboard on that screen.
- I really like the triangular explosions on enemies.
- Enemies are very nice looking... but the design of my ship looks to much 2D as opposed to enemies which is 3D .
- When my ship explodes in a heavy fire explosion, for a half a second FPS drops below 5. No other noticeable slowdown with other explosions.

It's a very nice game, but it's pretty hard immediately at the start.

p.s. Tested on P4 2.4 / 1GB / FX5200 128MB / WinXP

Boiled Sweets(Posted 2007) [#14]
@big10p - click on "about" in the menu

@Trixx

- I don't like the combination of a very colorful background with nice blue menus at the start. I think that the background should be less intensive at that screen.

I could make it less alpha'd

How about an autofire option ?

Well this game relies on careful / accurate shooting rather than a bullets fest as you need to conserve fuel and shooting uses up fuel.

The enemy bullets are too fast.. at least they shouldn't be that fast on the first few levels

OK will make less fast initially

maybe you should allow typing with keyboard on that screen.

OK

but the design of my ship looks to much 2D as opposed to enemies which is 3D

Well it is 3d not too sure how to make it look more 3d

When my ship explodes in a heavy fire explosion, for a half a second FPS drops below 5. No other noticeable slowdown with other explosions.

Will make the particle effect smaller - it's probably that's causing the slowdown

Trixx(Posted 2007) [#15]
you need to conserve fuel and shooting uses up fuel

Well, that explains it, I didn't know that

Boiled Sweets(Posted 2007) [#16]
Erm read the instructions!

big10p(Posted 2007) [#17]
@big10p - click on "about" in the menu
I can't run the game at 1024x768, remember. ;)

Boiled Sweets(Posted 2007) [#18]
oops! :-)

I'll have a new version to you as soon as...

GfK(Posted 2007) [#19]
Just that my crappy monitor can't do 1024x768 (dont ask). :/
Is it made from wood?? o.O

big10p(Posted 2007) [#20]
Is it made from wood?? o.O
No, steel actually. It weighs a tonne. :)

SpaceAce(Posted 2007) [#21]
After dying and submitting my score, I tried to start a new game but the game loads then immediately says "Game Over", does the game-over animation and returns me to the main menu.

SpaceAce