Road Engine update - image heavy

Community Forums/Showcase/Road Engine update - image heavy

Vorderman(Posted 2007) [#1]
I've just added a strong lens flare effect so I thought I'd post a few screenshots. The idea is that the sun flare partially hides oncoming traffic vehicles so the player is forced to take more risks when riding towards the sun.

And then a quick test for sunset time-of-day, using a temporary skybox picture.

If anyone has any ideas of the sorts of stuff I can add I'd like to hear them. Cross-traffic is my next priority.

Damien Sturdy(Posted 2007) [#2]
I clicked with anticipation when I saw your name as the last poster on the forum.

Absolutely Awesome!!! :)

[edit]

Me wanna play!!!!

puki(Posted 2007) [#3]
I think it looks a bit like Porche 2000.

tonyg(Posted 2007) [#4]
Looks very nice. They don't mess about with the size of their white lines either.

Gabriel(Posted 2007) [#5]
This has a Ridge Racer 1 vibe about it to me. Which is a good thing, because that was by far the best Ridge Racer IMO. If you've managed to persuade Tokamak to allow those cars to slide insanely around corners like I could in Ridge Racer 1 ( but not so much in subsequent RR's ) then I can't wait.

Vorderman(Posted 2007) [#6]
I'm not using Tokamak for this one, apart from for the crashes. This is a development of the ancient car physics code that I was using for a rally game long long ago. It works only in 2D, so unfortunately no jumps (not yet anyway) but the cars can powerslide quite well, albeit not with the same precision as using Tokamak.

For this one though I'm considering dropping the cars completely and just using bikes, which don't require so much sliding around - they're much more precise and it's scarier to weave through traffic on a bike than in a car as you can fit through some stupidly small gaps.

Gnu(Posted 2007) [#7]
This looks great. only suggestion is your scale for bike and car are too small. Compare the white lines on road to size of bike. I think everything else is prefect. Nice work.

Regards
Gnu

Mustang(Posted 2007) [#8]

Porche

Porche??? Arghhhhh! It's Notice the "S" in there?

Sorry just had to vent... It drives me crazy when ppl misspell the name I worship.

t3K|Mac(Posted 2007) [#9]
i personally don't like lensflares when in 1st person mode. put lensflares only in 3rd person, and all will be fine ;). i'd like to see a small demo in action, njot just screenies.. think thats possible?

amonite(Posted 2007) [#10]

The idea is that the sun flare partially hides oncoming traffic vehicles so the player is forced to take more risks when riding towards the sun.

then make the lensflare effect much brighter, judging from your screen-shots it doesn't make it any harder (Lensfalre effect not strong enough)
Usually it really makes you blind for a second or two until you realize there is something in you way !
just my POV :)
Edit: oh and nice screenies by the way !

Vorderman(Posted 2007) [#11]
I wanted the lens flare to hide the traffic vehicles a bit, but if I ramp it up even more then it looks like a nuclear bomb has just gone off.

I wonder if there's a way to do a full-screen fading whiteout...perhaps a sprite overlay?

You guys are right about the scale of the lines - I've overscaled them so they look correct in 1st-person view and to minimise the mip-mapping making them disappear, but that unfortunately means they look too big in 3rd person. I'm going to leave them as they are for the time being as the 1st person view is my priority as it's more fun to play.

Vorderman(Posted 2007) [#12]
I'm now re-implementing the Tokamak crashes to work with the bike - currently I can hit a key to initiate a crash sequence without needing to hit something.

Here are a couple of screenies of the crash effect, all the particles and stuff. Of course there should be some traffic cars in the crash but they're turned off for testing right now, just trying to get the sparks and shards right.

Mustang(Posted 2007) [#13]

if there's a way to do a full-screen fading whiteout

http://www.blitzbasic.co.nz/b3ddocs/command.php?name=SetGamma&ref=goto ?

Vorderman(Posted 2007) [#14]
Cheers Mustang, shame gamma only works in fullscreen.

Added headlights, working brakelights and soft shadows to replace the hard-edged shadow-

Grey Alien(Posted 2007) [#15]
This looks fab, but what happened to Stunt Car Racer...?

Vorderman(Posted 2007) [#16]
Um, on hold because I got bored with it. I got to that stage of needing a front-end and I hate doing front-ends...it is working with AI and networking and suchlike, but GOD I hate doing front-end stuff >:(

t3K|Mac(Posted 2007) [#17]
looks really cool vorderman. go for it!!

Stevie G(Posted 2007) [#18]

but GOD I hate doing front-end stuff >:(

Ditto! Don't give up on Stuntcar - much as the final piece of the jigsaw is a pain in the rear - you know it'll be worth it in the end!!

The bike thing is looking good. One thing though - lighten the shadows slightly.

Stevie

Mustang(Posted 2007) [#19]
Shadows are better now when they are smoothed but are still bit dark, maybe... here's few references about coastal Cal, bikes and lambo's, all in one page :)

http://www.horizonsunlimited.com/tstories/mcpherson/

As you can see if the sky is cloudy everything gets really ambient and subtle as far as lighting/shadows goes - but if the weather is sunny shadows can be quite hard, crispy and dark.

IMO you have something "in-between" now and that jumps out the wrong way for me. I know that this is WIP but getting coherent look for lighting stuff will improve the overall look ten times (and it's looking good already!).

Vorderman(Posted 2007) [#20]
You might be right about the shadows - perhaps they are too dark. I'll take them down a bit.

The thing I hate about front ends is not really making them (which can be fun) but trying to tie them into the 'game' part of the program, making the game return to them when it's over, work out whether the player won or lost, keep track of leagues and scores etc...

The concept sounds like it should be so very simple, but for some reason I always end up with a million things that need to be stored, restored and updated, stuff to load, stuff not to load and stuff to unload, save this to file, jump to this scoreboard or this one or possibly even this other one if it's Tuesday...ARGH :(

Robert Cummings(Posted 2007) [#21]
Front ends often expose weaknesses in the engine such as how your engine manages the transition between levels and so forth.

Good work with this by the way, looks fun. Do you have that funky sun specular effect on tarmac?

Mustang(Posted 2007) [#22]

Front ends often expose weaknesses in the engine

That's exactly why we don't like doing the front ends ;P

EOF(Posted 2007) [#23]
Looks great Vorderman.
The particles look as good as something from Burnout.

I might of asked you this before (during your SCR development) but, "Have you ever played Super Hang-On?"

That was an exciting game for me. Blazing through traffic (albiet other bikers only) at top speed trying not to clip the others was thrilling and great fun.
The best bit was activating the turbo (only available when you reach top speed).

Are you aiming for something like this?

Vorderman(Posted 2007) [#24]
I've played HangOn a long time ago in an arcade (one with the big red ride-on plstic bikes) but not Super Hang On.

Hmm, hadn't thought of adding a turbo....

Do you have that funky sun specular effect on tarmac

Yep, you can see it on the right of the top picture, also on the 2 pictures with the crash shards and glass.

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2007) [#25]
Very nice work. One suggestion, at least the glass pieces of the crash particle fx, try to rotate them randomly.

Vorderman(Posted 2007) [#26]
Yeah, they do now - I spotted that one just after posting those screenshots. The black bits spin also.