Cryptex of Time - Concept Demo

Community Forums/Showcase/Cryptex of Time - Concept Demo

AJirenius(Posted 2007) [#1]
Starting a new thread as I now release a playable version of this concept demo.
Let's start with the link:

http://archon2160.pbwiki.com/f/Concept.rar

and then some screens of the game:

YES, this is a lot of text but it's just to give you information about the concept and directions of the feedback I need.

Before I'm writing about the actual game I will list a few things that I really want you to try out and give feedback on. Also a few things that you don't have to (as I already know the problems):

Please give me feedback on:

- Difficulty. Is it hard to learn? Intuitive controls? Learning curve? Think casual here.
- Visuals. What bothers you. What do you like the most? Does it keep a genuine style overall? Should I spend some money on an artist? In that case on what elements of the game?
- Replayability, Funfactor actually. Do you hate it after 5 minutes or is it "just one more try"
- IMPORTANT!! System requirements. How did it work on your system. Which system did you use?
- IMPORTANT Am I wasting my time here? Seriously. This is actually a very big question for me cause this is my first attempt to make a commercial game ever. I know it's hard to say if it will sell or not but does it have the potential? I am now working hard as a teacher but my son has recieved a diagnosis of Asbergers and I really want to work from home more so this could actually be a solution for me to work parttime at home (so I could help my son when he comes back from his school etc). If it's not my thing then I just need to look for other options.
- Language. Is it too uptight, too weird. Also an important thing. I'm Swedish. From Sweden.
- Suggestions. Ooh I love suggestions. It makes me wanna huh.. makes me wanna huh huh huh. I'm not a casual player myself and have never ever actually looked into this kind of business until I started on this game a month ago so PLEASE if you have suggestions how to make it more "casual" especially for the portals out there I'd appreciate it!

Don't give me feedback on:

- Audio. Not just yet. Well ok, comment the tune if you want to but it's the only thing Ive composed at the moment and the soundeffects will be there later on.

- Level design. These levels put out in this concept demo is just a compressed bunch of all playmodes, timemodes, objectives and special cubes to let you all try them out and maybe find some favourites and/or hateobjects. You STILL can give feedback on the learning curve though because it will probably be something like this at start.

- Lights, Stencilshadows, Postprocessing effects or similar. Making it 3D is already a big "maybe" in the casual market. (all those fancy computers with tiny winy videocards).

So here's what you can expect of the game when "it's done".

-----------------------
MAIN MENU

Story mode
Free mode
Puzzle mode
Credits
How to Play
Quit
-----------------------

Story Mode

The Story Mode will take the player through the 5 different themes, 10 levels/theme. Whenever the player finishes two levels he/she will recieve a piece of a stonetablet so when he/she has collected 5 pieces the tablet is completed and will take the player to the next culture/time/theme.
During the "journey", the player will try out all the different playmodes, timemodes, objectives and special cubes.

Free Mode

Sometimes you want to play the game without being interupted by levels completed or mumbojumbo stories being told. Here you set up the playmode and then plays with slowly advancing time until you reach the maxheight.

Puzzle Mode

This mode will take advantage of the Limited Moves-mode and also sometimes the ComboObjectives.
The StarCylinder will be preset in a special way and the player will without time running (NoRush-mode) have a certain amount of moves to finish the puzzle. Eg: Remove one Star in 3 moves.

How To Play

Here all the ingame tutorials and hints will be listed and can be read whenever the player needs to go back to some information.

Quit

This is the button who activates the evil virus in this game which will let me take over the world. Unfortunately it isn't working properly and just throws me out to windows without even an error message :/

PLAYMODES:

Basic: The normal playmode. Cubes automatically fall down whenever they can.

Sticky Cubes: Cubes stay on the stars until you press SPACEBAR (or middle mousekey).

TIMEMODES:

No Rush: No time are ticking unless you are performing a rotationaction. Suits the players that want to check the cylinder from all angle and think a lot before making a move.

Basic: Time is ticking constantly at a set rate.

Advancing: Time will usually start up slow but will flow faster the more Stars you are removing from the cylinder.

OBJECTIVES:

Remove X Stars: Completed when X numbers of stars has been removed.

Remove X Stars in Y Moves: You only have a certain amount of rotations to use before you loose.

Make X numbers of Y combos: Eg. Make 3 Combos containing at least 6 cubes each.

SPECIAL CUBES:

Yellow: Explodes and are removing cubes in a 3-cube-radius

Blue: Removes all cubes on that star

Red: Removes all cubes in that vertical line

Grey Metal Cube: Can only be removed by special cubes. Otherwise it's just there annoying people.

TimeCube: Stops ALL time (including the time flowing when rotating a star) for a short period of .. erhmm time(?).

Amon(Posted 2007) [#2]
This looks really good dude. :)

Fuller(Posted 2007) [#3]
Nice. Looks very good

dreadcog(Posted 2007) [#4]
Difficulty - I don't even understand what I'm doing to make it difficult or easy. I just spin the spindles and some how they match up. I'm thinking it could use Mahjongg elements. You match by highlighting line of sight symbols or characters while orbiting the spindle instead of spinning each spindle until you get a match. The game is way to chaotic, users like control.

Visuals - Good stuff except for the black background. Maybe the timer should be hourglass shaped.

Replayability - 0, I spent the third level mashing my escape key.

Language - Its fine, worry about that when you're ready to release a final product.

No you aren't wasting your time it just needs tweaking.

AJirenius(Posted 2007) [#5]
Ogre1138: As I'm getting feedback from several forums here I'll wait to answer before I see some patterns in the opinions. Thanks for feedback though.

AJirenius(Posted 2007) [#6]
After 280+ downloads of this conceptdemo and still the lack of responses I actually decided to take down the link as this didn't seem to be a good way to get feedback.

puki(Posted 2007) [#7]
Probably a load of Russians - most of them can't post here.

Grey Alien(Posted 2007) [#8]
You've only had the link up for one day...

AJirenius(Posted 2007) [#9]
Well, yes, I can admit that I maybe was very impatient with this but then again I actually thought that I could recieve more feedback from these two forums I put up the demo on. Also as I wrote in the other forum the other reason I removed the demo was that the feedback I recieved mostly was focusing unfinished elements in the game and therefor I thought it was better to remove the link and work more instead of exposing an unfinished demo that is downloaded a lot, maybe played a lot but still don't give the feedback I currently was after.