Luminosity 3D Demo - Free Download Now Available

Community Forums/Showcase/Luminosity 3D Demo - Free Download Now Available

Odds On(Posted 2007) [#1]
Hi everyone,

I've just put the finishing touches on Luminosity 3D, a fully featured lightmapper and level editor. It's still in reasonably early stages but I wanted to get a demo out to get as much feedback on it as possible.

The demo is almost fully-functional but the Save feature has been disabled (Import and Export are fully operational and unrestricted, although not all model formats are currently supported)

Getting Started Shortcuts
-------------------------

F5 - Lightmap Settings
F6 - High-Quality Render
F7 - Draft Render
F8 - Lightmap Selected (High-Quality)(Experimental)

M - Material Editor
T - Texture Editor

Shift+G - Toggle Grid
Shift+W - Toggle Wireframe
Shift+E - Edged Faces
Shift+R - Reset Camera

1-7 - Toggle View

Screenshots
-----------

Download Link
-------------

Luminosity 3D Demo

Any feedback is appreciated, but please note this is an early version, and bugs and undesired features are to be expected.

Enjoy!

Best Regards,
Chris

MadJack(Posted 2007) [#2]
Hmm - looks interesting, but tried to run on W2000, got the splash screen and then a memory access error.

edit: just deleted the settings.ini file and it started. Will have a look at it.

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2007) [#3]
Just downloaded, will try later. Looks good. Does it support global illumination / radiosity?

Odds On(Posted 2007) [#4]
MadJack, thanks for the heads up. I've just uploaded a new version without the settings.ini file.

The code for radiosity (and reflections) is there, but it's not useable (or implemented) at this early stage.

As the project nears completion I will fully implement radiosity and reflections if time permits.

Thanks for the feedback so far.

Best Regards,
Chris

MadJack(Posted 2007) [#5]
Falcon

It also crashed when it tried to write the lightmap to a non-existent directory (first time run, having deleted the settings.ini file).

puki(Posted 2007) [#6]
This looks most exciting.

Odds On(Posted 2007) [#7]
Ok, uploaded new version with bug fix. Cheers MadJack.

MadJack(Posted 2007) [#8]
Falcon

Have had a bit more of a playtest. You seem to have all the basics of a good lightmapper in there and apart from the init problems, it seems stable - good work!
I guess perhaps why this hasn't garnered more interest on the forums, is that any lightmapper has to develop in the shadow of Giles, but this is a good start.

A couple of observations;

Navigation:
Is there any key based cursor movement? A make or break with these kinds of editors is the ability to zoom around scenes of varying scales (ultra big to micro small), with the greatest of ease.
Giles and Halo's World Studio are pretty good at this. Also a fit to view for selected items? Nothing more frustrating than trying to find a mesh in the 'void'.

right mouse click - context sensitive menus?

light creation - can range be set to inifinity? edit:scrub that - I guess that's when a directional light would be used.
Did seem to be some issues with artifacting when using a spotlight(?)

lightmapping
Seems reasonably fast, but I haven't managed to test on a large or complex level yet. Suspect it may slow down a little too much. Very important.
Also, seems to lack the ability to be able to create multiple lightmaps (of different resolution)?

Also, when I came to export my first simple scene to a B3d, I had a look at the LM exported and it still seemed to include pieces from the sample project(?). I didn't hit the 'clear LM' button - just assumed a new project would clear the LM.

Pinete(Posted 2007) [#9]
Hi,
It seems brilliant.
The control is fast and easy, comfortable and visually user-friendly, very similar to other apps you can find. Regarding to this, perfect for me.
In terms of lightmapping rendering speed, maybe it is a bit slow in comparison with other lightmappers, but it is just a feeling.
Beyond that, the most important thing to add is more options to control the generated lightmaps (i.e. size, and other parametres that offers gile) as well as more configurable options for entities...
To be a WIP version, is a must to say that has a lot of potential and a very good aspect.
congratulations for your work and go for it! :)

best regards.

Odds On(Posted 2007) [#10]
Hi,

MadJack, spotlights still have a lot of work to be done.. at the moment they just use a cone to limit the range of the spot light, but will eventually use maths to calculate a soft spot light. I'm also hoping to completely overhall the lightmapping routine to improve speed and other things.

Not sure about the artefacts from the previous lightmaps.. may be a result of a buggy 'Lightmap Selected' but I'll look into it.

Pinete, thanks for the feedback. Lightmap size, blending modes and the draft quality of lightmaps can be adjusted in the Lightmapping section of Settings (which can be found in the Edit menu). What kind of configurable options were you looking for in entities?

TheSin(Posted 2007) [#11]
No Mac version? Not interesting...

Pinete(Posted 2007) [#12]
Mac version?
Just the one app that works properly in a Mac is Photoshop!
...Luminosity 3D is for macho-developers and not for the mac-ones who uses to be worried about the shape of its monitor! ;)

I'm going to pay for Luminosity 3D when finished. No doubt.

regards!