Oil's Well Redrilled (alpha)

Community Forums/Showcase/Oil's Well Redrilled (alpha)

Zolyx(Posted 2007) [#1]
About
Here is the second alpha of my game Oil's Well Redrilled, based on the Thomas J. Mitchell / Sierra On-line original version. The object is to guide your drill around each of the levels to collect all of the oil pellets within the twisty tunnels. As you move along you leave a pipeline behind which you cannot cross, so you must retract the drill to take a different route. Also, enemies will appear from the side of the screen - if they make contact with the drill's pipe, you lose a life.

Screenshots

I'm still using ripped graphics for now - typical programmer art, eh :) - but before any final release, the graphics will be redone (I'm already working with someone to improve this). This version is just to see how well the game runs on a variety of computers (and fixes a few bugs from the first alpha).

Downloads
Windows:
http://www.firestormproductions.co.uk/files/owr-alpha055-win.zip - 1.9 MB

Intel Mac:
http://www.firestormproductions.co.uk/files/owr-alpha055-mac.dmg - 2.1 MB

Linux:
Sorry, not yet. If you would be interested in compiling / testing a Linux version of the game, please let me know.

Changes in this version:
* BUG: Drill won't eat enemies now while it is retracting after losing a life
* BUG: Drill doesn't show the "chomp" animation if trying to move but can't
* BUG: Drill pipe should no longer have gaps near corner points on some systems
* BUG: Score should increase properly upon eating oil dots now
* ADD: If specified, different enemy images can be used on each level
* ADD: Animated enemy support
* CHANGE: The way foreground level images work was tweaked, for WIP new gfx

Have fun - all comments and feedback are appreciated :)

Barnabius(Posted 2007) [#2]
I've enjoyed this one quite a lot on the old Apple II and after about 15 minutes of playing I can say you did a great job. Will test it more later when I'll have more time.

Barney

Trixx(Posted 2007) [#3]
Very nice remake. I just played this... it's very well done and already fully playable.
Didn't noticed any bugs up to 4th level, but I must say that it's pretty hard to win without those power pills :)
Looking forward to the final release...

Booticus(Posted 2007) [#4]
This is fun! Never played this particular original, but I remember similar games of the genre, like Aardvark. This one is damned fine. And pretty polished for an alpha! Its maddening and fun at the same time! Very well done!

Grisu(Posted 2007) [#5]
Nice game. Played it on my C64! ;)

Zolyx(Posted 2007) [#6]
Thanks for the comments so far :) I've updated with links to a newer test build that hopefully fixes a couple of bugs, but otherwise nothing major is new. Since there doesn't seem to be any major problem with stability, I'll probably hammer on with making it more like a finished game before the next release :)

Grisu(Posted 2007) [#7]
Btw: Any other remakes in the pipeline after that?

Zolyx(Posted 2007) [#8]
When I'm happy with OWR I plan to really start bashing away again on my long-term RPG project "Return to Dejenol". I have a couple of other game ideas in mind but nothing solid yet :)