Short Game Demo - a fantasy beat'em up of sorts

Community Forums/Showcase/Short Game Demo - a fantasy beat'em up of sorts

Matty(Posted 2007) [#1]
Hello all,

Here is a short demo of a game I'd been working on.

Screenshot:

Download link is here (sorry it is a bit large, don't think I can cut it down much more though..24MB)

http://home.people.net.au/~MAtthew.Lloyd/lloyd/BNP2/BloodNPlunder2.zip

What it contains:

A level from the game in which the object is to eliminate all the enemies.

Red potion gives full health, Swords add +1 to the base damage performed on each hit, Armour adds +1 to the player's armour (armour value = reduction in damage experienced by player when struck)

For each successful strike against an enemy the player's damage inflicted doubles (up to a maximum of 4x), if the player is struck then this reduces back to the base amount of 1x.

Keys/Input -
run Setup.exe to select if you want it to be windowed or full screen and whether you wish to use keyboard,mouse,gamepad to control (game pad is what is was designed around mainly).
Keyboard controls:
Cursor keys / Arrow Keys to move
Space bar to swing sword

Mouse controls:
Left click to move, Right click to swing sword

Gamepad
Left thumbstick/D-Pad to move
Button 1 to swing sword.

Note - on the 'character selection screen' only 1 player is playable - the guy in silver armour, use the arrow keys to move the 'player1' icon to this character, press space to select (Escape to go back) and enter to begin the level.

Please note also that the level may take a while to load if you have either a PC that runs at less than 2GHz or has an Intel / on board video card.

It runs at 800x600 preferably in 32bit colour but should run in 16bit colour fine also. If you feel like altering the screen resolution the 'resolution.txt' file is simple to change.

puki(Posted 2007) [#2]
Hand it over.

Matty(Posted 2007) [#3]
@puki - when it's done...although it's all 2d so don't know how useful that is for you.

Grey Alien(Posted 2007) [#4]
wow look impressive (not played yet) are all graphics original?

Panno(Posted 2007) [#5]
looks cool
plays not bad

Chugs40(Posted 2007) [#6]
Haven't played it yet - those graphics are sick! Is it a roleplaying game or more action?

Matty(Posted 2007) [#7]
@Grey: All graphics are either purchased (but animated by myself in Poser) or created and textured by myself in XSI. The ruin was bought from daz3d, along with the trees, the characters were bought from either renderosity or daz3d.
@Chugs - it is action with no real RPG elements in it, unless you count powerups being carried over from level to level increasing player combat effectiveness.

Grey Alien(Posted 2007) [#8]
cool, thanks for the info. good luck.

CS_TBL(Posted 2007) [#9]
got this popup:
"Your Video Card Does Not Support an800 by 600 resolution with 32bit Color"

Note that my system runs 1280x1024 in 32bit color.

Matty(Posted 2007) [#10]
CS_TBL - I'm not sure why it did that, could you try changing the resolution.txt file so that it reads like this:

Also - were you trying to run it in windowed mode by any chance?

CS_TBL(Posted 2007) [#11]
Tried that, with 1280x1024 and 1024x768, still no luck: same 800x600 error. btw, for what it's worth: running it on win98se. (my left system in my sig)

Matty(Posted 2007) [#12]
CS_TBL - win98se should not be a problem, I've got that on a Pc at home and have run similar programs (with same code) on it.

Could I suggest that you try windowed mode (run setup.exe and uncheck the appropriate checkbox). I do find it rather odd though and will look into it further when I am home later today (about 8-9 hrs from now)

Matty(Posted 2007) [#13]
Hi CS_TBL - I've just uploaded a slightly different .exe file which gives you a list of valid (hopefully) screen settings to choose from (use the mouse or press escape to exit). The download is 480kb and can be found here:

http://home.people.net.au/~MAtthew.Lloyd/lloyd/BNP2/BloodNPlunder2a.zip

Either copy over the original executable file or run it from the same directory as the other one.

puki(Posted 2007) [#14]
I don't mind having the code - just to check things are in order.

Matty(Posted 2007) [#15]
There you go puki - marvel at the disorganised mess that is my source code....

http://home.people.net.au/~MAtthew.Lloyd/lloyd/BNP2/SourceCode.zip

(I'm not planning on selling the game so I've got no reason to fear you or anyone else reading through it)

CS_TBL(Posted 2007) [#16]
Works now, I picked 800x600x16. Played only once, Didn't try other resolutions yet.
But, no playersprite for me (picked that first one)? I only see those green/red HP points floating around.

I like the gfx tho, they remind me a bit of Diablo. (note that I hardly ever play any games, so if it sounds n00b to mention Diablo, then so be it :P).
But, omg, that music is truly the wrong choice here.. :P It doesn't even sound like music that would somehow match the game, it sounds more like a game without music, and winamp playing some old modfile in the background. ^_^

Matty(Posted 2007) [#17]
The player sprite is the silver knight guy as I haven't include the others in the download. Each of the characters takes up a decent amount of space with around 500-800 frames of animation each (although I draw all the characters from system memory using a bank and writepixelfast so video memory is only used by the map, the fonts and a few other bits and pieces). I can't use drawimage due to the way I calculate if a pixel is occluded by the background.

puki(Posted 2007) [#18]
I shall study the code in the summer.

bytecode77(Posted 2007) [#19]
it shows game over before i can see any figures on the screen

Matty(Posted 2007) [#20]
Hi DC - see instructions at top of thread - use arrow/cursor keys to select the silver knight guy, then press space (not enter). Also if you wait more than about 10 seconds before doing this it will automatically attempt playing by itself but as I did not include that file in this download it will simply show 'game over'.