Flyout - shoot 'em up

Community Forums/Showcase/Flyout - shoot 'em up

Foppy(Posted 2007) [#1]
I have written a shoot 'em up in Blitz 3D for the shmup-dev Autofire 2007 competition.

The game is about flying upwards in a tunnel and shooting enemies to collect as many points as possible. Red-cross symbols indicate health bonusses, these can be collected by flying into them. There's also a guy standing next to a Dutch flag about every kilometer who will throw an upgrade object into the air when you fly close to him. (The distance covered is shown in the bottom-left corner.) The upgrades have to be collected to keep up with the increasing numbers of enemies. Losing a ship means losing an upgrade.

Download: Flyout.zip (1.8 MB)

Controls: arrow keys to move, space bar (or Z or Ctrl) to fire, and M to toggle music on/off. (Auto-fire is always on so you can keep the fire button down to shoot.)

JoeRetro(Posted 2007) [#2]
Man, I'm still trying to break 1000 pts.

Enjoyed it! Thx!

Ryan Burnside(Posted 2007) [#3]
Ahhh what a great little game! Sorry to say Joe I got 1056 on my first run.

Simple and effective I liked it!

I do have some crits though.
Make all the art the same resolution the gradients and pixel art sprites kind of clashed and the blocks looked out of place. I liked the pixel art part but keep the images the same resolution and scale. Also I felt that some barrages couldn't be avoided. Perhaps you could go with a danmaku(google if necessary) style collision box or add a shield or bullet clearing sword.

this game was very original but it would help greatly if you set a common game style or theme for ALL the art.

I'm surprised you have so few comments, Heaven forbid anyone post something here that isn't an 80's remake with a powerup added and blurry sprites. -_-;

Foppy(Posted 2007) [#4]
Thanks!

Make all the art the same resolution
Yes, when I started drawing the graphics I used 2x2 "pixels" but later on I cheated and used normal pixels. Same for the gradients that started seeping in as I continued working on the game. On the other hand I liked the effect I got "for free" that when a block is shifted horizontally compared to a block above or below it, the division between them can be seen because the gradients do not connect. :)

Ross C(Posted 2007) [#5]
I liked that. I thought they was just a touch too much inertia on the ship. And it got hard pretty quickly. Good stuff though!

Terry B.(Posted 2007) [#6]
Hey kinda nice.

Think I found a glitch though, randomy, after I had cleared the screen of enemys, my ship would suddenly shoot to the right. And wouldn't move anywhere else, so I'd be smashed against a wall.

Other then that i thought it was kinda fun.

Grey Alien(Posted 2007) [#7]
cool. I saw this on Independing Gaming or the two bears and couldn't find a proper link so I'll try this out now.

Zenith(Posted 2007) [#8]
This game rocks, I mean it has too, I'm in the credits!
Really plays well Foppy! its going to *win* the compo! Woo!