The Uncontrollable Gooey Blob (Proof of Concept)

Community Forums/Showcase/The Uncontrollable Gooey Blob (Proof of Concept)

Oddball(Posted 2007) [#1]
Here is a proof of concept for one of the possible control methods for the game I'm working on. It's just a single screen and there is no game concept in the demo.

Download file (161kb)

Please feel free to comment, especially regarding the controls.

Stevie G(Posted 2007) [#2]
Seems pretty controllable to me although not so easy to get past those rockets :) Good work!

You doing a Gish clone?

Stevie

mindstorms(Posted 2007) [#3]
That's fun, maybe the whole blob should rotate when you move, though.

Stevie G(Posted 2007) [#4]
Yes, a bit more animation when just moving left and right would look much better.

Oddball(Posted 2007) [#5]
You doing a Gish clone?
Possible something similar. I'm still toying with different ideas at the moment. It may eventually go in a very different direction.

Oddball(Posted 2007) [#6]
That's fun, maybe the whole blob should rotate when you move, though.
Do you mean the face? The whole blob does rotate when moving it's just not too noticable because he's all one colour.

Yes, a bit more animation when just moving left and right would look much better.
My intention is to have lots of different expressions that the blob will make when doing various things. My plan is to make him as emotive, and therefore loveable, as possible.

Jake L.(Posted 2007) [#7]
Funny! Ignoring the visuals (it hurts!) it's nice to see Mr. Gooey "adapt" to different surfaces. Could be a wonderful game! Played with a Rumblepad this could be intense gameplay ;)

Jake

big10p(Posted 2007) [#8]
Nice physics. Nice physics dont make a game, though. :)

You cant jump while on the bridge, BTW.

ImaginaryHuman(Posted 2007) [#9]
It's pretty interesting. I find the movement to be a bit on the slow side and the jumping is not really high enough. It also seems a bit easy to get stuck not being able to jump over things - like on the rope bridge thing, seems impossible to jump from it. But otherwise it's pretty interesting how it moves. Just needs a more polished graphics style. Could be the basis of a pretty interesting game. I am wondering how you can leverage the fact that he is gooey to have a bearing on how he solves puzzles and gets through the level, rather than just simply being that he's a slow not-very-bouncy character with a wiggle body?

Raz(Posted 2007) [#10]
haha thats really cool :D

I wouldn't know where to start coding such a thing!

Oddball(Posted 2007) [#11]
Ignoring the visuals (it hurts!)
Hey! What's wrong with the visuals? That's some of my best artwork :)

Nice physics. Nice physics dont make a game, though. :)
Agreed. Hopefully I'll get the gameplay right as well though.

You cant jump while on the bridge, BTW.
That is a symptom of the physics. The jump is in fact just the blob puffing up for a split second to become solid. This means that when he's against an immovable object he'll jump. However when he's against a movable odject, like the bridge, they share the force. This is also compounded by the fact that he becomes soft again and this absorbs some of the force. To be honest I like the fact he reacts differently when on different surfaces.

I find the movement to be a bit on the slow side and the jumping is not really high enough.
Interestingly enough I originally had him moving faster and jumping higher. The final speed will be dictated by which direction I take the game in. If it's an out and out puzzler he'll be quite slow. If I go in a more platformy route he'll carry a lot more speed. What do others make of his speed?

I wouldn't know where to start coding such a thing!
I just started by making a 2D verlet physics module.

Booticus(Posted 2007) [#12]
Hey thats pretty cute. I like it! A wholesome blobby guy rolling (or blobbing) around. Neat proof of concept!!

DREAM(Posted 2007) [#13]
That is really neat, is he going to be able to be made solid as in frozen and alike or melt if a level is too hot....lol....what other things can or will the character be able to do....?I like it though.

degac(Posted 2007) [#14]
Very good!!

TartanTangerine (was Indiepath)(Posted 2007) [#15]
Nice, you might want to consider sphere mapping a texture to the blob. I've some sphere mapping code for my textured poly module it you want it.

Oddball(Posted 2007) [#16]
is he going to be able to be made solid as in frozen and alike or melt if a level is too hot
I'm still just feeling things out at the moment so not going to rule anything out. I'll be trying various things out and keeping in anything that works well.

you might want to consider sphere mapping a texture to the blob
Not thought too much about the visuals just yet, as you can probably tell. I'd be very interested trying your sphere mapping code as he does need a bit of definition.

Panno(Posted 2007) [#17]
hehe thats funny