Fruity Caves beta

Community Forums/Showcase/Fruity Caves beta

DREAM(Posted 2007) [#1]
Game screenshot.

Editor screenshot.

DOWLOAD
http://www.kevinsaunders.net/fc/Fruity_Caves_beta_v1_0_Release.zip

Hi, click the image to download the beta release (2.2 MB), read the rtf file for instructions, there is a help in the help menu but that is more for information on the game elements than keyboard controls and alike.

contact us with any feedback at

inventdreamcreate (at) gmail.com

P.s yes we used to be InventiveDreams........

Boiled Sweets(Posted 2007) [#2]
Change the image to

Grey Alien(Posted 2007) [#3]
Hmm this looks like it has potential and the title screen looks good but the whole menu system is a bit odd and the game isn't really playable yet. For example it starts paused and I had to press P to unpause. Also when I died it really wasn't clear how to play again. Also the level numbers start on 0, really they should start on 1...

ImaginaryHuman(Posted 2007) [#4]
This looks cool, mainly because I recall the game `caverunner` on the Amiga which was a lot of fun - boulderdash clone, which I presume this is. The graphics look fun and it's cool that you have an editor.

Who was John Galt?(Posted 2007) [#5]
The combination of fruit and caves is ingeneous. Really like the colourful gfx.

ImaginaryHuman(Posted 2007) [#6]
Hey, I had a play with this. It's actually very nice. I was very impressed with the interactivity of the menu screens - all the nice particle effects etc, and then was very impressed with the level editor - it looks very nice and well designed, obviously put a lot of time into it, and the game itself is pretty fun to play. :-) Good job!

LineOf7s(Posted 2007) [#7]
Wow - you're back? Welcome back! :oD

DREAM(Posted 2007) [#8]
Thanks LineOf7s, s'been a while hasn't it, how you keeping these days, and your family how are they. It starts out paused for a good reason, and that is a lot goes on, so getting your bearing is helpful while it is paused, they initial screen says paused and most games i have ever played use the p key for pause.
Anway will have a think about it, with the controls will probably cut down to just 6 keys, left,right,up,down,action and tool change.(cursor keys, alt and ctrl for keyboard)

Grey not sure what you mean about the menu system being "a bit odd"

the games which are like this in the past eg boulder dash, emerald mine etc all started on level 0 so that is going to stay so as i can import them into my version....sorry about that.

Grisu(Posted 2007) [#9]
- Controls don't respond sometime.
- The transition between menu and levels is a bit "lame" in comparison to the main menu.
- The "P" key and high-score table at the end of each level really stops the game flow.

Apart from these issues: nice game... :)

GfK(Posted 2007) [#10]
Think its time you put this one to bed and started something else. Six years now isn't it?? :)

(tu) ENAY(Posted 2007) [#11]
Looks like Boulder dash, one of me favourite games on my CPC464. Ah bless.

Boiled Sweets(Posted 2007) [#12]
Nice menu, is it using Sprite Candy?

DREAM(Posted 2007) [#13]
lol Gfk, its over 10 years, i am going for the anniversary release before the original. This is more like a hobby than a job for me, and we wanted to do it right i guess, i had about 5 years off the project, having no time, family, work, life and stuff. I have had a bit more time of late so we started back up again, December 2005 to be exact.

The menus are all custom Boiled Sweets.

we are thinking about putting in the menu options page toggles for high scores and the pause key.

The pause key is essential to the way we play it here at Inventdreamcreate, sometimes to get a high score you need that extra tick of time because the score can only go so high, so turning these two things on or off is not much of an issue about 8 lines of additional code if my thinking is correct....;) All the buttons can be made on the fly from within the game so adding one or two new ones isn't hard, its actually easy.

ImaginaryHuman(Posted 2007) [#14]
Rather than have the game require a key press to unpause initially why not just wait until the player makes his `first move` ie with directional keys, to automatically trigger gameplay to begin. After all, if what you're saying is you are concerned with starting out on the right footing, then surely you don't want to have to press a different key to start and then press another key to start moving - you want your fingers to be exactly where you need them to begin with.

I also found difficulty whereby when I got blows up by some bomb things and died, the level continued animating and nothing else happened - did not return to a menu or anything.

You need a bit more automation.

DREAM(Posted 2007) [#15]
the key press idea is a good one to busy designing the thing to stand back and see the simple things i guess, good idea.

The trouble with killing the game after you finish is that the game can actually generate more score for you after you die, and this was a unique feature of the emerald mine games we wish to keep, say for instance with our lollies, the old nuts in em mines, say you cause an avalanche of things a mixture of lollies and rocks, you mean while escape and get out through an exit with more time, so you get the extra time bonus score, because you can get more score on some levels if you have more time left, anyway doing so you leave the level run so it settles till all things affected by gravity have stopped, whilst falling rocks crack lollies you get the lolly cracking score for each, so you're out, with extra time and the level still runs getting you extra score.....this is no ordinary play and stop game....it has more to offer than that...

Zolyx(Posted 2007) [#16]
Looks really nice and smooth (I love the menus and the game graphics really work well). Great stuff :)

My only complaint is that for some reason, my system doesn't seem to run the game quite at full speed (and it's not a slouchy PC). In SLI mode the game barely managed 1-2fps, although it was playable if I deactivated SLI. But it still didn't feel entirely smooth. The menu section runs fine though, absolutely smooth.

My PC spec is: WinXP 64-bit, Athlon 64 X2 5200+, 2x GeForce 7900GS SLI, and 2Gb RAM.

DREAM(Posted 2007) [#17]
I think the main problem with my game is i am using waittimer() to keep the frame rate in check, i used it at the very beginning and just haven't thought about it since, maybe it needs some rethought on that, thats about the only reason i can think of for your problems Prospero. Then menus have no waittimer() function on them so thats how i guess its this, if i take this out the game will run unchecked and would be impossible to play for the likes of you with heavy machines to play with, so if any one has any good ideas or tutes on game timing, let me know, I'll be searching in the mean time.

oh one secret, hold the tab key down in the highscore section and move the mouse around.....a fun easter eggy thing....lol.