Tank Universal

Community Forums/Showcase/Tank Universal

MadJack(Posted 2007) [#1]
Hi all

Looking for some feedback on my 3d tank game (Tank Universal). This is a one level demo - the training level, but it does contain a full tank battle.

homepages.ihug.co.nz/~pajones/TU_DEMO.zip
(45meg file, zipped moleboxed exe file)
note: run it at 800x600 or 1024x768 - there's interface issues at 1280x960.

WASD control, RMB stops the turret.

Chroma(Posted 2007) [#2]
Downloading. I'll wring it out and report back.

Chroma(Posted 2007) [#3]
The mouse control is still too....slushy. Not enjoyable at all imo. Plus I died in like 3 seconds. I'll report more back tomorrow.

markcw(Posted 2007) [#4]
hi, I like this game, the gfx are very nice.

I got a MAV when I got to the point where I had got the first moving/firing tank and it said now two tanks but when I pressed space it MAVed.

Also, I find the turret mouse control pretty unresponsive, like there's a time delay between when I move the mouse and the turret moves.

I'm in win98se.

MadJack(Posted 2007) [#5]
markcw/Chroma

I know, I know...controls. For final release I do plan on giving the player a range of control choices e.g. Battlefield1942 tank style through to controls where the player can pan the view and the gun catches up afterwards. The thing is, everyone has their own feeling for how a tank should play. I promise though, that the next demo I release will have some control options available...

As for dying after 3 seconds - did you skip the training? I do mention in the training that turrets are very dangerous and have a long range.

markcw - there is still the odd crash (which I have to track down) - but was it a onceoff? Or does it crash at that point everytime?

As to timelag with the controls - what's your specs?

JustLuke(Posted 2007) [#6]
I'll second (third?) what has been said in regards to the controls; they feel unresponsive and slushy (as Chroma said), and to be honest they totally ruin the experience.

Simply put, the demo isn't fun at all, because, due to the feel of the controls, it *feels* sluggish and awful. Because of this, I didn't complete the demo - in fact I could only bear playing it for a minute or two.

Stevie G(Posted 2007) [#7]
Just played this for the first time. Nice moody graphics & style. I agree the controls are very unintuative and the turret control is too drifty for precision shooting. As controlling the tank is the main part of the game it really needs some work.

What would make more sense in the control is that you move forward in the direction the turret is pointing, maybe with 30 degree tollerance .. e.g. the chassis turns to meet it's general direction and when the angle difference is below some threshold goes in that direction. I think it's unlikely you'll not want to be looking where you're going, unless reversing - could be a nightmare with alot going on.

Stevie

MadJack(Posted 2007) [#8]
Ok - these are all good suggestions. But can I ask that you guys give it a second go? I'm not asking you to accept the control scheme, but I'd be really interested in what you think about the rest of it (graphics, instructions, so on).

In particular, the long range turrets - I have a message in the training section about them being dangerous - did you remeber that when you came up against them?

StevieG
That perhaps sounds like an option I could give the player.

JustLuke(Posted 2007) [#9]
I like the graphical style very much, but I can't really comment on the instructions because I didn't play it long enough to form a useful opinion on them. I don't think I'll be giving this a second go until the controls are fixed, but I'll definately take another look if/when they are.

Tank Universal is one of those games that I want to really like, you know?

May I make a suggestion? Forget about the graphics/instructions for a while and focus on rethinking and improving/replacing the control scheme for the time being.

Biggles(Posted 2007) [#10]
Played the Tute , found it very helpfull.
Love the graphics, Not so sure about the glyphs, they dont seem to match the style of the rest of the game. I really liked the upgrade unit, Very stylish.

To be fair though the controls could do with a little polish, but i can see where you were going with the weighty feel.
One of my fav games of all times was battlezone . It had a great mix of tanks that ranged from the very weighty ( almost exactly the same feel as your current tank ) to very responsive.

Perhaps you could offer a greater variety of tanks with different feels, or offer faster response times with an upgrade path.

Impressive sound too, presentation is spot on.
Ran very well on my PIII 1gig

Looking forward to the finished game or updates
Cheers
Bruno

Chroma(Posted 2007) [#11]
Give the mouselook code a go from the mouselook contest post. I think that would be perfect for the turret. Also, even if you warn the players about how dangerous the turrets are, dying in a couple of hits is gonna irritate me either way. The turrets are very accurate and with the slow movement of the tank, there's not much chance of survival there.

Stevie G(Posted 2007) [#12]

May I make a suggestion? Forget about the graphics/instructions for a while and focus on rethinking and improving/replacing the control scheme for the time being.

Definately, you have to nail the control system sooner rather than later as it could potentially effect the game mechanics.

It sounds harsh but most folk will want to pick up and play and the frustration of controlling the main character will soon lead to a quick exit regardless of how good the content, level design and tutorials obviously are. You've probably had alot of practice while playtesting but others may not have the patience.

I'll definately give this another go as it has great potential.

Stevie

MadJack(Posted 2007) [#13]
'Love the graphics, Not so sure about the glyphs, they dont seem to match the style of the rest of the game. '

I agree - will probably revisit their design at some stage.

'You've probably had alot of practice while playtesting but others may not have the patience.'

True enough - I'm much too close to the game at this point to be able to second guess a 'newbies' reaction.

'Also, even if you warn the players about how dangerous the turrets are, dying in a couple of hits is gonna irritate me either way'

Ok - I've dropped the damage rate of the turrets by half. They do need to be dangerous, but they're not so 'insta death' now.

markcw(Posted 2007) [#14]
> there is still the odd crash (which I have to track down) - but was it a onceoff? Or does it crash at that point everytime?

I ran it again and yes, it still MAVed at the exact same point. This time I didn't press space. It was a little while after I got the first moving/shooting tank.

> As to timelag with the controls - what's your specs?

1.1 Ghz Duron, 384 MB RAM, ATI Radeon VE/7000, Win98se.

MadJack(Posted 2007) [#15]
markcw

I seem to recall that molebox doesn't like win98 - I think that's probably what's going on since no-one else reported that issue.

As for the lag, I would have to say that your machine (Duron 1.1Ghz) is probably below min specs for the game. Sorry - but thanks for getting back to me.

Booticus(Posted 2007) [#16]
Oy! Where'd the link go? :( ah well, if you put it back up, I'll grab it. This always looked neato!

MadJack(Posted 2007) [#17]
Booticus

Ah, my hosting is crap and charge extra if I go over 40meg (must sort that out).

I'll re-upload if you're interested.

Zenith(Posted 2007) [#18]
Yeah, havn't played it in a while, I figured it'd be finished by now. Waiting for it! :)

Tri|Ga|De(Posted 2007) [#19]
MadJack:

I have ny own server I can host it for you.