AudioLib - Please Test

Community Forums/Showcase/AudioLib - Please Test

Gabriel(Posted 2007) [#1]
Just a very early demo from a BlitzMax module for irrKlang I'm writing. It does nothing but open a window and play a song, looping it until you press escape or die of boredom. All settings are default.

Please just let me know if it works and any obvious problems such as glitching, stuttering, poor quality, lack of stereo, etc.

Before I put any effort into wrapping the rest of this puppy, I'd like to know it's worth wrapping.

http://www.glimmergames.com/temp/audiotest.zip

EDIT: Oh, er.. Windows only.

H&K(Posted 2007) [#2]
Works fine. RealTek AC97 internal

Andres(Posted 2007) [#3]
Same here (RealTek AC97 somethin'). Though first time it didn't want to work (probably my fault)

I let it to work for several minutes and it something like "delay 5" in each frame, but after the music restarted it was fine again.

Dirk Krause(Posted 2007) [#4]
runs fine, sigmatel audio here.

Mystik(Posted 2007) [#5]
Did nothing the first time I ran it on my test machines. After that it worked perfectly each time.

Realtek High Definition Audio

SoundMax Integrated Digital Audio

Steve.

LineOf7s(Posted 2007) [#6]
Ran fine. Soundblaster Live! Value.

Alt-tabbed out so I could explore the 'media' directory as I listened. When I returned, it refused to acknowledge my existence. The three-finger salute was my only salvation.

Reading your first post, perhaps the escape key could have worked wonders. Still, with windowed apps, that big X in the corner beckons so invitingly...

BlitzSupport(Posted 2007) [#7]
I got the same as Mystik -- silent exit on first run, but then worked perfectly. (Hmm, silent exit on third run, too, but fine after that on many subsequent runs... weird.)

Panno(Posted 2007) [#8]
same as MYSTIK & James

Gabriel(Posted 2007) [#9]
Alt-tabbed out so I could explore the 'media' directory as I listened. When I returned, it refused to acknowledge my existence. The three-finger salute was my only salvation.

Yes, I Puki-proofed it. :)

Thanks for all the tests. I don't like all these silent exits. Sounds like irrKlang is not up to much.

smilertoo(Posted 2007) [#10]
ran fine here.

degac(Posted 2007) [#11]
It doesn't work...
Well...after click on the Demo1.exe 3-4 times I started to suspect that my audio output was off. So I opened the folder media and started (with WinAmp) the 'helltroopers.ogg' and it played.
Then I closed WinAmp and clicked on Demo1.exe: it ran...

Gabriel(Posted 2007) [#12]
Then I closed WinAmp and clicked on Demo1.exe: it ran...

Interesting. Not the slightest clue what it could mean, but it's definitely interesting. Almost as though irrKlang is having more problems with the loading of the audio than actually playing it.

Gabriel(Posted 2007) [#13]
If it's not too much trouble, would the people who had problems before please try the new version? Same URL as before, in top post. I've disabled threading and a few other minor things to see if it solves the problem.

degac(Posted 2007) [#14]
Now it works perfectly.
Good job

xlsior(Posted 2007) [#15]
Works for me. C-Media CMI8738/C3DX PCI

BlitzSupport(Posted 2007) [#16]
That seems to be working fine. Only minor problem (and it's not necessarily a real problem!) is that if you hold the title bar with the mouse pointer it loops the same ~second of music over and over until you release.

Grey Alien(Posted 2007) [#17]
Anyone tested on Win98?

Gabriel(Posted 2007) [#18]
Only minor problem (and it's not necessarily a real problem!) is that if you hold the title bar with the mouse pointer it loops the same ~second of music over and over until you release.

Yup. That'll be because I removed threading. It won't be an issue with the library, because you would set up the audio on an event or a hook or whatever to make sure this didn't happen.

Thanks everyone for testing. Looks like it was just the threading which didn't agree with BMax. Shame, because running audio in another thread seemed like a nice plan, but I guess it's no great loss. Besides, running it in the same thread makes it easier to debug.